A Fish Called Avalon
700 Ocean Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
A Fish Called Avalon
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.afishcalledavalon.com/
- Phone: (305) 532-1727
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kal Abdalla
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A Fish Called Avalon offers professional planning assistance and custom menu options for all of your entertainment needs. Our specialized hospitality service ensures that your group meeting, dinner party, cocktail reception, or special event will be a success. Please call 305.532.1727 to plan your next party.
- Entertainment: Caribbean, Latin and Jazz
- Special Events: A Fish Called Avalon is a perfect location for your group dinner, cocktail reception, company party or any special event.
A word from A Fish Called Avalon
Located in the heart of The Art Deco District on Ocean Drive, A Fish Called Avalon features Modern American Seafood with tropical influences, impeccable service and nightly entertainment that further captures the true ambiance of South Beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
A Fish Called Avalon - Best Restaurants in Miami Beach / South Beach ›
A Fish Called Avalon reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (71)fit for foodies (56)romantic (50)special occasion (43)scenic view (38)hot spot (28)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (17)notable wine list (17)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Excellent seafood on Ocean Drive - but pricey!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/24/2014We dined at Avalon 2 nights ago. The service was stellar: our waiter was polite, attentive and gracious. There was a live singer/guitarist who kept us very well entertained. The ambiance was fabulous. The food was superb. We started with the Shrimp Cocktail and Mussels. Then we had the special for our main. Fresh, tasty seafood. Large portions - sadly, try as we might, we couldn't finish our mains! The wine list was a little bit suspect and actually, very expensive. However, the wine we chose went very well with the food. But I don't think $60 for a bottle was good value at all. Just shy of $300 for 2 courses for 2 people with a bottle of wine including 18% service charge (which is automatically added to the bill).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A miss called AvalonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014This has been a lovely place in the past. We are in town for a couple of days and came here on one of our only two nights for dinner out. The service execution was just a miss. Everyone was nice and well meaning, but the Front of the house and Back of the house are just not talking. 1. There was no host when we arrived - we did interrupt a waiter to get seated 2. My wife selected the bottle of wine that she wanted. Only to be told they were out of it - then that they were out of our second and third selection - finally we were told that they were changing over the list and that non of the reds that we were looking for were there. So we had to scramble to pick something else - how about letting guests know before they waste their time only to be disappointed. 3. My wife was so excited to order the Crab Legs. Again, they weren't available either. Again, why not let us know that in advance. Another scramble and disappointment. 4. The food was very good. It is always very good and it was. 5. We ordered coffee. It was cold. Instead of an apology the waiter looked at us as though we had done something wrong. He told us that he would have someone else bring us more coffee and he left the two cold cups on the table. Again, he was nice, everyone was nice, but it's just not what it used to be.
- The in crowdDDayDined on 11/17/2014Wonderful outdoor scene on South Beach. Better food than most tourist restaurants. Priced as expected in the area but food was way above average. Drinks were top notch with trendy specials available . Good People watching on busy area. Sservice was attentive and helpful with team approach , no long waits. Will patronize againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cut above on Ocean DriveCambridgedinerVIPDined on 11/15/2014The tip-off was that there wasn't someone standing in front, pointing to the menu, and urging us to come in. I'd already found this restaurant through online reviews, which rightly said it was a cut above other Ocean Drive places. Ambiance a bit quieter, white tablecloths, etc. But the best part was that the food was terrific. We just returned from Italy, but my wife reported that her seafood risotto was better than anything she'd had there (being gluten-free, she eats a lot of risotto). My macademia crusted snapper was excellent, as was the accompanying spinach risotto. Tuna tartare to start and bread pudding to finish were also excellent. Service was efficient and friendly but not overbearing. Would go back again and again if we didn't live in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014My friend and I selected this restaurant as the final destination for a scavenger hunt we set up for our wives. A fish called Avalon was the perfect choice. The food was delicious, the scenery right on ocean drive was perfect and our sever Orlando was AWESOME! We couldn't have had a better experience. The orzo paella was delicious, and raw oysters were definitely unique. We loved it, definitely going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/9/2014Great break from other Ocean Dr restaurants. Out door seating is off the side walk, so strangers aren't bumping into you while you eat. Definitely higher quality food than most of the other restaurants on Ocean Dr.Special Features:
- really enjoyed itveggieloverDined on 11/5/2014we came here because of reviewers, and were not disappointed. The best food on we have had Ocean Drive, with really good professional service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- JemroVIPDined on 11/4/2014A classic! Food is still great after all these years. We had the bam-bam shrimp, twin lobster and macadamia snapper and everything was executed perfectly. Ate on the patio overlooking ocean drive and they had live music playing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014all i can say is grilled octopus! simply delicious. I know they all talk about the Bangbang shrimp, but the grilled octopus was the star! service was excellent!Special Features:
- Amazing food!cramos1657Dined on 11/1/2014We had the pleasure of dining here and I have to admit, we had an excellent meal! The food was fresh and delicious, the service was great and the atmosphere was vibrant. The 2 man band playing was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in South BeachLove2EatDined on 10/31/2014Really enjoyed the place and food was absolutely lovely. Although all the other restaurants along Ocean Drive seem to "pull" patrons off the street, A Fish Called Avalon had no need to do so, as the place is inviting as is the taste of the food. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Magnifique souperpatrembDined on 10/31/2014Nous sommes allés le 31 octobre dernier sur la terrasse et tout était impeccable...nous avons partages 5 entrées pour pouvoir goûter le plus de plats possibles. Tous étaient délicieux et raffinés ! Et quel service attentionné et souriant. A revenirSpecial Features:
- you get what you pay fordiner14VIPDined on 10/30/2014I have been here several times and have never been disappointed. It is towards the south end of the strip so is less hectic. Broad menu, nice outdoor seating, great service with large portions... so you get what you pay for. Cute little bar off the lobby.Special Features:
- AtagafsaDined on 10/25/2014The lady of the bar makes the best mojitos of the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food does not tastePassion7Dined on 10/22/2014Overpriced for the food quality you get. Food tastes of nothing. Portions are big and names in theorysound good but tge disges taste the same. If you value the taste do not recommend!Special Features:
- Fabulous appetizers!FrannieDined on 10/21/2014Everything about the restaurant was excellent! I especially liked the octopus and calamari appetizers. Yum! The drinkers were delicious too!Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I had the macadamia crusted snapper with the spinach risotto and it was divine. My husband loved his crab encrusted grouper also. Had a side of Asian baby beans that were good but not the best we've ever had. We would absolutely go back and recommend Avalon to others. Just wish you could actually see the ocean instead of the signs and barriers in front of the beach but this is the case all along south beach. Rooftop dining would be a fabulous option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so experience!MatildaDined on 10/21/2014The reviews sold us to book here but our dinner was just average to disappointing. We had a nice , beautifully presented appetizer of tuna tartare and exceptionally large salads but grouper that was dry over a bed of over-cooked spinach . There are many other fine dining outdoors restaurant options to choose for a pricy dinner on South Beach! The best thing about AFCA is it's cute name.. And did anyone say it's The Avalon hotel's entrance/lobby?Special Features:
- GREAT SOUTH BEACH EXPERIENCE...WehocaDined on 10/18/2014Three of us visiting from LA wanted to see a bit of South Beach so ended up at A Fish Called Avalon after walking Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, etc. It was a welcome, upscale find after hoofing past a few more of the more nightclubish, fried bar food places. This was great. Beautiful outdoor dining as the entertaining parade passed us by. The food was great…we just ended up getting a bunch of appetizers and split a few entrees. Our server, Orlando, couldn't have been more charming or helpful. He was very accommodating as we told him what we wanted and he customized the experience for us. Loved the crab cakes and warm lobster salad…a tangy piece of Key Lime pie capped off the delightful experience. Would I go back? Absolutely!Special Features:
- Never Disappoints ! !AdamVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have been coming to Southbeach for over 20 years and I have to say, every time i come here, Fish Called Avalon is always a must. The seafood is always fresh and outstanding...the location on the strip is at the edge of the crazy heavy crowds, but you still get great people watching...the service is always top notch with knowledgeable staff. The tuna and snapper are two of my favorite entrees !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUSY BUSY BUSYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I DIDN'T REALISE THIS PLACE WAS ON THE PAVEMENT OF OCEAN DRIVE - WHICH MAKES IT REALLY BUSY WITH PEDESTRIANS WALKING BY CONSTANTLY. THE FOOD WAS GOOD, AND SO TOO WAS THE SERVICE - IT WAS A BIT PRICEY CONSIDERING YOU ARE SAT ON THE PAVEMENT ! NOT A RELAXING MEAL, BUT GREAT FOR PEOPLE WATCHING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencessleeDined on 10/17/2014It was just wonderful. Very good service, nice view - great ambiance...amazing food. There were 7 of us - it was perfect. Would love to go there again next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean Drive scenekjninamherstVIPDined on 10/13/2014Solid experience for the South Beach Ocean Drive scene. At least it's a real (non-chain) place. Service was solid, first course was good, entrees not as good, fish a bit overcooked and dry. Key lime pie was goodSpecial Features:
- Excellent JobOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/11/2014One of the few places on Ocean Dr. that earns the automatic 18% service charge. The service was fantastic, the food was amazing and the staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Great foodValeryDined on 10/9/2014Very friendly atmosphere. Excellent food. It is a little pricy but it's worth the money. I would visit this place againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as Noted!DaveseeVIPDined on 10/7/2014We've been to South Beach several times and eaten at several restaurants over the years. For our latest visit I was looking for a nice place for dinner. The reviews on Open Table helped me find this marvelous restaurant! Everything about it was perfect - EVERYTHING. Although we were there on a Tuesday night, the traffic (walking and driving) was entertainment enough as well as the other patrons enjoying the scene and the food. Our waiter was extremely helpful in deciding on wonderful dishes. I love Salmon and this dish was prepared perfectly and was very generous, with nice accompaniments. My wife had the seafood medley which included a very nice piece of lobster! Don't miss this if you are in South Beach!Special Features:
- Best spot on Ocean Drive!LorraineVIPDined on 10/6/2014We were so happy to have a lovely patio table at this oasis in the middle of the Ocean Drive madness. The service was excellent and the wine and food were absolutely delicious! Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great night out in MiamiFrequentDinnerDined on 10/5/2014After reading a ton of reviews for dinner choices around Miami Beach, my husband and I went with this seafood restaurant on the beach. We were not disappointed with our choice and would definitely come back! The food was delicious and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully called fishGramil10Dined on 10/4/2014Fish and seafood served as its best, in this busy ocean drive gem. Everything was very well done for us!!! Enjoy your experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good.ShatochatoVIPDined on 10/1/2014Nice atmosphere with a great waiter who attended to our every need. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A CelebrationjgarciaDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I went for our anniversary. We decided to go with the Miami Spice menu. The service and ambiance of the restaurant was very good. The choices on the menu were varied which is why we chose the place. The food was truly great. Will definitely be coming again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean Drive winnertoydocVIPDined on 9/21/2014On Ocean drive there are so many tourist trap restaurants; this one is a REAL restaurant with awards and a great chef. The Chef (Kal) creates dishes that are delicious and meet all the best food taste requirements. All dishes are well prepared. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- AwsomeAlpolivDined on 9/20/2014Thank you very much it was a great experience. Thanks for the special attention for rose on the tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!tweetersDined on 9/20/2014GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE. QUIET FOR AN EVENING MEAL . MUSIC WAS RELAXING. MY FIRST VISIT BUT WILL BE BACK AGAIN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaellaOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/20/2014Overall the food was good. However, the orzo paella was absolutely fantastic. It is impossible to overstate how delicious this dish is.Special Features:
- Good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I was our second time in this restaurant because we liked it so much. The food was very good. We chose the Miami Spice menu and it was really good value. I had the shrimp bang bang and the macadamia snapper followed by the cheese cake. The service was very fast and friendly. We had a table on the terrace wich had a good ambiance without beeing too noisy. All in all a great dinning experience!Special Features:
- We are coming back!JohnPivVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent seafood, service and the scene of South BeachSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food on South beachKatyDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food whilst watching the craziness of ocean drive from the relative calm of this restaurant. I choose from the miami spice menu which was excellent value for 3 good sized courses. Would definitely recommend the bang bang shrimp. My husband had the tuna tartare to start which looked amazing and tasted great, followed by the swordfish special which was cooked to melt in the mouth perfection.Special Features:
- We would go again anytime!Star99VIPDined on 9/4/2014The meal was wonderful we had the special 3 course for 39 a person. The food was excellent. Our waiter also provided great service. We are coming back here every time we come back to Miami.Special Features:
- Nice place, but trying too hardfunfoodDined on 9/1/2014We were seated right away, but it was a Monday, so not that impressed. We chose a table outside, this one was actually right on the sidewalk with people walking by, which we quite enjoyed taking in the local atmosphere while on vacation. But there was no smoking at the table despite smoking pedestrians passing by (literally right beside me). The service was great. The seafood in the payaya was a little over-cooked, oysters were tiny. Everything was tasty, but as we were there specifically there for the seafood, (for exception of the tuna tartar, which was fantastic) we were not impressed. Overall, it might be good place for a special occasion, but I would not recommend it for those looking for a unique dining experience.Special Features: