A Fish Called Avalon
700 Ocean Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
A Fish Called Avalon
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.afishcalledavalon.com/
- Phone: 3055321727
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kal Abdalla
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A Fish Called Avalon offers professional planning assistance and custom menu options for all of your entertainment needs. Our specialized hospitality service ensures that your group meeting, dinner party, cocktail reception, or special event will be a success. Please call 305.532.1727 to plan your next party.
- Entertainment: Caribbean, Latin and Jazz
- Special Events: A Fish Called Avalon is a perfect location for your group dinner, cocktail reception, company party or any special event.
A word from A Fish Called Avalon
Located in the heart of The Art Deco District on Ocean Drive, A Fish Called Avalon features Modern American Seafood with tropical influences, impeccable service and nightly entertainment that further captures the true ambiance of South Beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
A Fish Called Avalon - Best Restaurants in Miami Beach / South Beach ›
A Fish Called Avalon reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (66)scenic view (45)romantic (44)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (33)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (18)good for groups (16)notable wine list (16)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Romantic settingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014We had an almost perfect dinner in a party of 6. Our table was on the patio, as requested, and it was perfect. Food very good, the only thing was our waiter. He just asked us what we'd like to eat, but forgot the drinks. After that we had to wait for a while to order the drinks. Anyway, great setting,great food and we didn't wait long until the food came in. We'll go back for sure at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Review from Grace of Golf TravelGolfTravelGuyDined on 8/21/2014Even though we focus on great golf experiences, it's our job to identify quality dining options. While staying at the Loews Miami Beach, the concierge included A Fish Called Avalon. It was our favorite from a week in FL. 'Grace' started with the jumbo shrimp cocktail and I only wish I could post the picture of it. I had the Bang Bang Shrimp and it is hard to say whether I better enjoyed the shrimp or the medley of flavors accompanying it. Grace had one of the chef specials, perfectly moist swordfish with steamed spinach and carrots. I made an excellent choice with seafood risotto. But the desserts! Do not leave w/o trying the creme brulee. There is NONE better anywhere! So pleased with tastes and presentations, we asked to meet chef Cal.Special Features:
- GREAT Birthday Dinner!MsChay84Dined on 8/16/2014I really enjoyed my time here with my girls, we were treated spectacularly! We had a great outside table on the strip, which was exactly what I wanted and we were taken care of the WHOLE time. This was my first time having Paella and it was DELICIOUS! We were seated on time, even though we were about 5 minutes late, it was no problem. I would DEFINITELY recommend this place for special occasions. We had a marvelous time!Special Features:
- Good Food, Wonderful service.EpicureanExperiencesDined on 8/14/2014Located along the Art Deco preserved Ocean Drive strip, the A Fish Called Avalon is located on the ground floor of the Avalon Hotel. Along with many other restaurants in the area, it reminds one of a bygone era, when things were just a little simpler. The food is well prepared and the portions generous. We participated in the restaurants Miami Spice, menu selection, consisting of escargots, lamb shank, and sorbet for desert. The wine selected was a 2009 Syrah from Paso Robles, which paired perfectly with the Lamb. A wonderful dinning experience to end our vacation week in and around the South Beach Area. Note: one may want to consider the Valet Parking if travelling by car. Finding a parking spot in the immediate area can be challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good meal and great value.ThadVIPDined on 8/11/2014Avalon has been around for a long time bc they have good food, give good service and its at great location. We split the seafood rissoto which was outstanding and more than two people could eat. It really felt like the staff cared about our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just averageGoodchampagneDined on 8/11/2014I have to say I was expecting an outstanding meal seeing as so many people rated this restaurant so high. The inside warranted a lot of flies in the restaurant which isn't a good sign. The restaurant also smelled a bit mildewy. The meal wasn't memorable just average.
- CustomerGinaDined on 8/8/2014This was a great find. The food was superb, ambience was very nice. This was our anniversary weekend and it was made more special by this meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!ERandJGPADined on 8/7/2014My husband and I came here for dinner after reading all of the other positive reviews and we definitely were not disappointed. The orzo paella is AMAZING and is definitely big enough for two people to share. We will most certainly be back next time we are in Miami!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miami Spice gem!SavtaDined on 8/5/2014We had out-of-town guests who don't eat meat or chicken, so this sounded like the perfect choice and online reviews were good. It was a pretty steamy night, so we opted to eat inside---good choice. Three of us had the Miami Spice menu choice of macadamia-crusted snapper with spinach risotto, Avalon chopped salad and chocolate lava cake for dessert. The other member of our party had the wild Canadian salmon. Every bite of every dish was delicious and beautifully presented. The service was attentive but unobtrusive. Five stars all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantJimandKDined on 8/4/2014My wife and I found this restaurant to be welcoming, efficient, and most importantly with great food choices. The entire staff was very friendly and cordial. It is well worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fish Called Avalonbigdawg443Dined on 8/3/2014A Fish Called Avalon met & exceeded all of my expectations. A Fast & Friendly wait staff and the food was INCREDIBLE!! We started off with the Shrimp Bang Bang & Lobster Bisque. The enormous shrimp had this amazing sweet, curry sauce and I did not want give up the gigantic bowl Lobster Bisque when my entree came out but one look at that macadamia nut crusted Snapper and Spinach Risotto and it was on!! We sat outside on the sidewalk on Ocean Drive and people kept coming up to me asking what was I eating and telling me how good the food looked. We went during the Miami Spice so the price was not an issue. A Fish Called Avalon is BIG DAWG APPROVED and I would recommend to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBobbyZDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I visited on a Saturday night. We were greeted immediately and seated. The server did an excellent job going over the specials and taking our order. Excellent food cooked to perfection. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceRoastbeefVIPDined on 7/29/2014The service was exceptional and the food was excellent. We started with the Bang-Bang shrimp. It was a bit pricey for only 3 shrimp, but it tasted amazing. I had the 16 oz Rib-eye. I ordered it medium and it was cooked to perfection. It did contain a little more fat than I would like, but it was still excellent. My girlfriend had the crab encrusted grouper. The crab was great, but the grouper was a little dry. Still, very enjoyable and worth the money. Our waiter made sure our wine glasses and water were full throughout the meal. Overall, this place lived up to its excellent reputation. It is a high-end place. Expect to spend money for a great meal.Special Features:
- Poor quality and touristyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/27/2014We were disapointed. There were 5 of us and no one really liked their meal. It was very touristy. There is much better restaurants in Miami for the money.
- wonderful experiencesunbathed25Dined on 7/27/2014We came to A Fish Called Avalon for my boyfriend's birthday and our last night in Miami. The food was wonderful, and Andrew made my boyfriend's birthday one to remember. He even surprised him with creme brulee. Would love to come again when we visit miami again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014I have eaten at FCA many times. It is always a conscious choice. Once in awhile I like to dine in the middle of a vibrant crowd. That is what FCA offers, especially when you get a table outside; you are almost a part of the sidewalk crowd. The food is very consistently good. I never had a bad meal at FCA; especially their seafood choices are great. Try Bang Bang shrimp, followed by Maine lobster. Wine list is decent and wines are not overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014My wife and I had a very nice dinner with fantastic food. Server (Sheldon) was very attentive. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in MiamieMaxVIPDined on 7/22/2014After revisiting Ocean Ave after 10+ years I learned to stay away from Most of the places to eat on it. (this place and BLT steak are the exceptions) So searching open table and yelp for a legit seafood place in Miami, I came across a review. It said: "you can tell this place is the real deal, because they don't have hostess trying to corral you on the sidewalk, unlike every other place on ocean" While we were still skeptical, we went. And we are very glad we did. Amazing all around. Fresh fish selection, alaskan king crab legs, great drink options, and superb service made this place perfect. If you like seafood, go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and disappointingYumyumforeureDined on 7/13/2014We went here because it seemed great and was close to our hotel. Not only did the hostess not want to seat us upon our arrival, our waiter vanished for most of out meal and then when the bill arrived I thought it was overpriced for what we got. I will never return, that's for sureSpecial Features:
- Nice time, Nice foodHanginSoBeDined on 7/9/2014This place is very nice an I enjoyed myself. The food was also very good. I have extensively traveled so I've had dined at some of the best and most famous places, but let me be clear that doesn't take away from the food here. If you are in south beach you could do far worse than this place. They have a creative and diverse menu, but it's mostly sea food, so if you lean that way, you are in the right place. I had the macadamia nut snapper, which was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and loved it!EdieVIPDined on 7/7/2014I had heard this restaurant was very good and wanted to try it. It was excellent! Everything from appetizers to entree was so creative and delicious. The service was excellent. Sitting outside is nice to people watch. We didn't eat dessert because too full and choices didn't interest us enough. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fish Called "Fantastic"RatikiVIPDined on 7/6/2014The best meal I've had in South Beach! Creative, delicious, live music on the porch, with all of the excitement of the Ocean Drive street scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jon from parkland,flOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Normally I am disappointed when I dine in south beach. A foodie recommended this restaraunt. The waiter was attentive and recommended drinks. I had a mango margarita which was excellent though pricey. My wife had a fresh strawberry vodka gimlet also excellent. The orzo paella was phenomenal and big enough to share. Overall I can easily recommend this restaraunt; our whole party liked the food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Blisslive2eatDined on 7/3/2014The crab crusted grouper was as good as it gets! The staff was friendly and attentive and the food was exceptional!Special Features:
- Great foodTravlerDined on 7/2/2014Great seafood and atmosphere. Very friendly. Hummus and bread were amazing.Special Features:
- Great mealGoodEats123VIPDined on 6/30/2014The meal was amazing. My fiancée and I had one of our best meals ever here. I would recommend it to anyone in South Beach. It was worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Wonderful food, and even better service. Would disappointing if I never had an opportunity to eat there again.Special Features:
- Good seafood on OceanFrequentTravelertoDFWVIPDined on 6/29/2014Again we return to Avalon. Aside from watching the procession on Ocean drie. The service attentive and unhurried, which is good because the food is great.Special Features:
- Elegance at the BeachGratzziDined on 6/29/2014Beautiful restaurant. Santiago, our waiter, was excellent. Food was outstanding. Crab cake appetizer was superb. Paella was truly outstanding. My girlfriend's filet was soft as butter. Pricey...but, that is South Beach.Special Features:
- 99autigerDined on 6/27/2014Decent food with average to below average service. Had an issue with the temperature of the steak I ordered. Both the waiter and manager came to my table after I sent the steak back and wanted to argue about how the steak was cooked. I was shocked and almost got up and left. Once we straightened out the issue, the steak was recited and served correctly. Great flavor sand large portions.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was delicious, fresh seafood and our server Santiago was phenomenal! Highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good restaurantmedjine24Dined on 6/14/2014i went thee for my 21st birthday, and the experience was great the food was perfect a little expensive but it's south beach what would you expect the only problem was they close a ilttle bit too earlySpecial Features:
- Still continues to delivercrdlondonDined on 6/10/2014We first visited AFCA in 2004 and have returned on each subsequent visit to Miami. I am pleased to say it still continues to deliver the same quality food and ambience. We started with the shrimp cocktail and the special bang bang shrimp (both excellent). For entrees we had the crab crusted grouper and the tuna. Again both excellent. Loved the humous dip served as a pre-appetizer (although we were served our appetizers pretty quickly so didn't have much time to enjoy it). We were seated on the outside terrace (as requested) and it is always fun to watch Ocean Drive go by.Special Features:
- Lights too dimYdumasDined on 6/7/2014Overall the food and people were great. I feel they need a bit more lighting in order to see the menu and know what you want. Also, waiters need more knowledge of the menu and recommendations to their guests. Food too a bit long to come out and the restaurant was not at full capacity. Enjoyed the ambience of the location,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor sensation!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2014Awesome....the bread with their special hummus is out of this world! The fried calamari, salad with pear cucumber& blue cheese, the grouper were all fantastic. This place is for foodies! Plus we ate outside with a great view and lots of people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miami dinner enjoymentYummyforSouthBeachDined on 5/29/2014Great food from drink to dessert. Grant was a fantastic waiter who knew the menu well. 2 adults plus 4 year old $200. 18% gratuity included automatically. Outside dining was very enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great endingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/28/2014My adult children and I were visiting South Beach on vacation and had our last night dinner here. The food was great, the waiter was adorable and very helpful. The outdoor seating was fun but it got a little dark. The dessert was my favorite, I would definitely recommend the creme brûlée. The experience definitely ended our vacation on a high note.Special Features:
- Very good!RandyDined on 5/22/2014Great dinner, great food and service. Great sitting outside watching the South Miami folks getting ready for Memorial weekend.
- Good fish restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/21/2014We asked our hotel for a recommendation and a friend had also been here. We started with scallops and calamari - the latter was tasty but dare I say too much?!! then we went for lobster - whole - which needed to be tackled. It was good. My criticisms would be; we did book but arrived to find that they'd put us inside - so we waited for 40 minutes in the bar for an outside table - and they'd done the same to another couple; I'm not expecting fine dining - but really hate it when the waiter does not wait until everyone at the table has finished eating before removing the plates - my friend was actually still chewing when the waiter took her plate! Generally a good experience.Special Features:
- Good but not GreatVogelDined on 5/19/2014I think Avalon has ambitions to be a great fish resturant. And they try hard. Nothing to complain about really. But the ambitions comes with a price tag - its expensive to eat here and the food they serve doesnt match that level. It looks nice but doesnt taste that much.Special Features: