5478 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.acoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5106556469x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Matthew Colgan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for details.
A word from A Cote
À Côté is a small-plates restaurant in Oakland's charming Rockridge district. Cozy tables surround large communal tables in both the main dining room and on the sunny patio to create a festive atmosphere. Small plates reflecting the best of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine are served family-style by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Menu items are paired with a carefully chosen selection of over 40 wines by the glass as well as a highly diverse bottled wine menu. Specialty drinks featuring fresh fruits, rare botaniques and fine liqueurs are featured at the bar.Continued
À Côté is a small-plates restaurant in Oakland's charming Rockridge district. Cozy tables surround large communal tables in both the main dining room and on the sunny patio to create a festive atmosphere. Small plates reflecting the best of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine are served family-style by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Menu items are paired with a carefully chosen selection of over 40 wines by the glass as well as a highly diverse bottled wine menu. Specialty drinks featuring fresh fruits, rare botaniques and fine liqueurs are featured at the bar.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
A Cote - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
A Cote reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)neighborhood gem (101)notable wine list (76)romantic (75)special occasion (72)great for outdoor dining (44)vibrant bar scene (33)good for groups (26)late-night find (16)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Wonderful!ClaireDined on 9/27/2014Wonderful atmosphere, great food, good service (even on a busy Saturday night). All of the staff were friendly and collaborated very well. The parking wasn't too bad either. Will definitely return and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food in RockridgeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Fantastic food at A Cote. It's a place where you order a number of fabulous smallish plates and share them amongst you. Every dish was well prepared and delicious. The front of the restaurant is very noisy, but once you move into the back dining rooms it is far quieter, a need for me with hearing problems. The service is terrific, very attentive. We went with another couple to celebrate a 60th birthday, and it was just perfect. And desert was delicious.Special Features:
- MferVIPDined on 9/21/2014We come for the mussels and stay for everything else. The lamb and fries were both cooked perfectly. Service was a little spotty. Timing of our dishes was off and the explanation was lame. A simple I'm so sorry would have been better. Coming back for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ambiance but food was averageConDDined on 9/20/2014The place itself is really well put together, with a cool hip vibe. The staff was very friendly but did not seem to know much about the extensive wine list. We tried several different flights and left without knowing anything about the wine except that the reds (all 3, really?) were "earthy" and the white was "the typical wet stones flavor". We shared the soup, Lobster fritters, mussels, watermelon salad and lamb. Everything was just okay, we were disappointed.
- A Cote: Wine List with Great FoodCollinCaseyDined on 9/17/2014Wine list is the main event, but the warm service, handsome space and the clean, simple and delicious food all make for a great meal. Killer spot.Special Features:
- A OKwinkDined on 9/15/2014Overall a very nice experience. The waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable assisting us with our wine selection. We had three plates: 1) Arugula salad - yummy, however for the price, it really should have been larger. 2) Mussels - excellent, a good portion, and if you ask for more, they will bring you more bread for dipping up the sauce at no extra charge, 3) Fried Potatoes - very good, and super dipping sauce. I'd probably come back for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOmnomDined on 9/12/2014A Cote was lovely! We had a nice dinner sharing our plates. The steak was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariaDined on 9/9/2014My friend highly recommended this restaurant. A Cote' was just OK. It was disappointing in that the food didn't come all at once. We ordered 7 dishes. The dishes came in twos; once we were done eating the first two dishes, we had to wait another 15 minutes for the next two dishes to come. I found it frustrating.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014I have long been a devotee of A Cote and my latest experience there was no exception. How DO they make such tasty food! We had the outdoor seating and it was like being in a garden We had the mussels (of course) and they alone are worth the destination but everything else was exceptional as well. I think this is a more intimate type of restaurant--I would no go there with a crowd as I think the sharing would be confusing.Special Features:
- Great date nightMissJDined on 9/6/2014A'Cote has always been consistent and fantastic every time we go. I especially enjoy the variety on the wine list and the servers who are so helpful in picking out the right one. The food is amazing, we had a cheese plate, pomme frites, halibut, and fig/prosciutto flatbread...all very well executed. I love the easy pace that the food comes out, there is no rush but it's not so slow that you're looking for the waiter. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphereBebeDined on 9/6/2014We had a lovely dinner experience at A Cote. Since the plates are shared and if you're with a large group, you need to order multiple orders of the same dish. I think this place is better suited for smaller groups. The prices are a little pricey for the size of the dish you are getting, but everything was tasty and up to par with quality. We would definitely go back. Service was great. The waiter was very nice and friendly. He checked on our table a few times and made sure we enjoyed our experience. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has changedMy1stcommentonOPDined on 9/4/2014I decided to bring an out of town guest to dinner at the tried and true...No brainier. Wrong. Something was terribly wrong with the service , the servers were completely checked out and didn't seen to care nor offer an apology for drinks taking20 mins, our wine which we paired came or did not arrive with the paired plate. Food order was over 33 mins, rush rush throw the food on the table, mumbled if we needed anything further as they walked off, when I kept having to repeat myself 3 times that I needed another napkin.... The list of wrongs is too long. The worst ...I left a note on the comment card that came with the bill asking management to call me re:my experience and the service.... No call back. Too bad, this used to be a good spot :(
- Memorable!BrokenLCDDined on 9/4/2014Visited A Cote on a recent business trip to the Bay Area. Location is a few blocks from the BART in a nice walkable neighborhood. Really enjoyed the food and service, and their were many more in the restaurant who also seemed to be enjoying it.Special Features:
- Loved itBirthdayNightDateDined on 9/1/2014We made reservations to ensure we had a spot. We were seated right away and the service was spot on! Our server knew the wine list and helped us make a great selection based on what we were seeking. Food was served quickly and was what we ordered.Special Features:
- Small PlatesValleyVisitorDined on 8/31/2014We arrived expecting the same total small plates menu we had experienced in the past. While the food and preparation were excellent, we preferred the old approach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food..service lacksLuv2EatVIPDined on 8/26/2014We've been to this restaurant many times. The menu is limited but good. The consistent issue here is service. It lacks attention and gratitude. Hey, you can check on your drinks and "do you need anything else?" at least once. The servers seem to lack experience. Happy to say that there are a lot of other "new" and "hip" places to eat in the area. Won't be coming back for a long time. Bye.
- kathyDined on 8/24/2014We chose A Cote to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, and asked for a table with a little privacy. We had a wonderful table, a wonderful server, attentive staff of many, and the food couldn't have been better. Our server just took care of us - and it made all the difference with the result of having a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Outdoor Diners: Ask for Table 21joiedevivreDined on 8/23/2014Upon arrival, I asked if my party of two could be seated outdoors, and the hostess was happy to accommodate. A waitress seated us at a wonderful table facing a picturesque garden. Then less than five minutes later, another server came and told us we would have to move to another table as that one was reserved. We were moved to an outdoor adjacent table, with no view of the garden, where even the natural light was blocked by dark drapery. While it was a disappointment, worse was that our server for the night was noticeably annoyed with us for being so. The food was so-so, less quality and smaller quantity than I would have expected for the price. A more enjoyable dining experience can be had elsewhere for less investment, I'm sure.Special Features:
- ChangesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014It's sad to see but acote used to be so good. The salad had very little flavor and wasn't well mixed, the mussels were quite good, the fries were over cooked, the steak was tough even though it was rare. The service was decent. Consistency is key and a restaurant near Alcatraz has it and nails it every time.Special Features:
- PaloSoloDined on 8/21/2014My GF and I chose A Cote for her birthday celebration. Food was excellent. Halibut with assorted veggies was really good. I liked the al dente pasta which we got. Food quantity was just right. Desserts were amazing and alone worth the trip to this restaurant. Service could have been friendlier and more responsive, but was fine. Ambience was energetic, sometimes noisy when the grad students at the table nearby started arguing about some inane point. Overall, highly recommendable.Special Features:
- Interesting.luvlafayetteVIPDined on 8/21/2014I liked A Cote...The food was good (nothing exceptional but good). What was strange I would say was the the pasta dish "Tortellini" which was $17 comes with about 6-7 pieces of tortellini, basically enough for a toddler. Yet their appetizer dish of Mussels $16 was enough to fill a VERY hungry man. We also ordered the flatbread $17. It was OK, good as an appetizer for 2 but nothing special. I do like their wine flight options and the service wa good but what made it exceptional was that they didn't rush you. EXCELLENT. Will be back for wine & Mussels.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysDannygirlDined on 8/18/2014A Cote always shines. The menu is always changing so you may not be able to have the green gazpacho, chicken and panzanella, and merguez with clams that we had. But all the food is great. And ask your server about wine pairings! Their huge wine list, offers of half glasses, and extremely knowledgeable staff means you can try different ones with different dishes, which is a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is A Cote changing?EastBaycouple2Dined on 8/18/2014My husband and I have been going to A Cote for the past 6 years. While the food is still incredible, the overall experience feels like it has changed. The past two visits we were seated in the back room (we had reservations) which would be a wonderful spot on a warm night. Unfortunately, we don't get many of those so it is either too cold or stuffy when they draw the curtains (and then it feels a bit claustrophobic). The front room's ambience is better. We were helped with wine selections and loved our results. Our first choice of wine and cheese were both unavailable but the alternatives were both good. Our overall experience was not as exceptional as our first time but we will return-with different expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly amazing!curlitoDined on 8/16/2014Beautiful space, great service, and almost everything was amazing-- surprising and delicious flavors. The mussels, rabbit sausage flatbread, Georgian wine in a clay bowl were all off-the-charts. The only mild disappointment was the chanterelle pasta: fine and with a nice texture to the noodles, but fairly bland with no discernible mushroom flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I've been to A Cote many times and have always enjoyed the place. But this time I was a bit disappointed at the service and the food. We ordered mussels, fries, halibut and sausage with clams. Overall the food was a good but when we got our sausage and clams, I was upset. They gave us five clams and one tiny piece of sausage, not even enough for my six year old son to enjoy. The dish was $18, I expected at least a couple more pieces of sausage. The service was not that great also, we had a 5:45 reservation so it wasn't that crowded. Our server was lack luster, he hardly ever checked up on us or ask us how our food was. We waited forever for our food and cocktails. This could have been just a bad night for us.Special Features:
- It's Rockridge, so you pay moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014There's nothing really wrong with this place but there's nothing special either. You're essentially paying a premium because the restaurant is in Rockridge. In my personal opinion, the food was just average. I ordered their Albacore Tuna Nicoise which didn't exactly knock my socks off. I have no complaints about the service. It met expectations. It wasn't especially warm but I wasn't offended by anything either. I really wanted to like this place. The setting is nice and I reservations were easy. So, overall the place is an average place to get okay food. I probably won't go back because frankly, I can go to other places that I prefer. Competition is stiff. Sorry, A Cote.
- Nothing SpecialgolfkatVIPDined on 8/12/2014Seems like they are just going through the motions. Nothing so clever or creative. Too much dressing on salad, too many fried items on menu, not enough healthy options. Limited wine per glass as well. Need a total revamp of menu and the space!!!Special Features:
- A Cote has Changed for the worsealamedagalDined on 8/9/2014My hubby and I have been going here for years, and sadly will not return. It used to be a neighborhood gem, with excellent food, service, and atmosphere. Our male waiter had long hair that was not pulled back and he kept brushing it out of his face. The food was terrible- we had to send back two salads that were wilted (they must have been dressed hours before). Our $20 chicken plate was dry and unimpressive. We then heard that the original chef just left 2 weeks ago, which must explain the drastic change for the worse. I hope they get their act together soon, or they will continue to lose many loyal customers like us.
- First Time, Won't Be The Last!fooddudeattitudeDined on 8/8/2014As an out of towner from Portland, Oregon, I had some high expectations for this place. It was my girlfriend and I wanting to have a special lunch with her grandmother and cousin, so we chose this place. As a native Portlander where we are known for our wacky and gastronomically exquisite cuisine, I can safely say this place knows what they're doing. Friendly server, great atmosphere, and the food was heavenly. I ordered the mussels and the broth alone was worth ordering, let alone the rest of their wonderful food. Will come back if I'm ever back in Oakland!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Disappointing. Over the last couple years quality of food and service has gone down. We used to go there all the time but we won't be going back after this last experience. Shrimp plate looked and tasted like something my grandmother would make. Even the fries that you could usually count on weren't even crispy- as if they had been sitting in the kitchen for awhile. We also had only our fries midway of 5 dishes, and we had to wait about 20 min for our next dish.Special Features:
- A delightful find !CVThomasDined on 7/31/2014A Cote is delightful! The food was inventive and fun; the wine list was very eclectic and the staff was wonderful and helpful; the wine/food parings suggested were excellent! We spent our time listing friends and who to bring back next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening on patioPatRDined on 7/30/2014Have been going here for years and we just discovered their outdoor patio. You can't beat their mussels they're super good and cooked perfectly. Great cocktails and small platesSpecial Features:
- MusicteamVIPDined on 7/26/2014Everything was great except the music being played seemed terribly inappropriate for a classy location and a Saturday night - something more mellow would be appreciated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday CelebrationBirthdaygirlDined on 7/26/2014It's hard to know where to begin with this restaurant. Our evening at A Cote was flawless. We were celebrating 2 birthdays, and our expectations were exceeded by impeccable service, outstanding food, and wonderful atmosphere. The wait staff never interrupted our conversation to clear plates or fill water glasses (we thought ghosts were doing it!) Our waiter was awesome, and made a really tough dance look easy. His timing, knowledge of the food and menu, and how he pampered us was what makes a great waiter GREAT. The food was not only artistically presented, it was DELISH. AND the bonus at the end of the meal were two desserts with candles. They remembered it was a birthday celebration! This is our new go-to special occasion spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We had ordered the squash blossom stuffed with carrot puree and goat cheese, mussels and rabbit flatbread. The flavors of each dish complemented each other. We sat in the patio on a warm summer afternoon which was very nice and refreshing. Especially coming from the south bay.Special Features:
- First timersFlavornatorDined on 7/21/2014We live in the neighborhood, and wanted to check out a place with a great reputation. Everything was executed very well. The staff was friendly and accommodating. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual wine list & delicious foodMonicaDined on 7/21/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my first meal at A Coté. They were very flexible when we needed to move our reservation at the last minute. The wine list is full of unusual European wines, so it's a fun place to try something new. Small-ish plates were fine for 2 to share. We had 3 & dessert & it was plenty of food. Squash blossoms were lovely & different from the usual presentation. Flatbread with lobster mushrooms was decadent (drizzled with truffle oil). I'd definitely recommend & will visit again.Special Features:
- Always fun to go hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014I like the vibe at A Cote. The bar is pretty and very comfortable for dining, and the bartender was great. It is a small plate kind of place (which I like), and although most of our food was delicious, some dishes seemed like they were trying too hard - like the clams and sausage. I do recommend the cheese plate for dessert - fabulous!! At the end of the evening I felt like we had had a great time but that the cost was a little high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loe John!DiamondDined on 7/18/2014We decided to go in for appetizers, dessert and drinks. John, our server, was excellent! He listen to what we liked and gave perfect recommendations. He was relatable and relaxed. I loved eerything we hae and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- As wonderful as everarlenizuchiniDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I have been eating at A Cote for a long time and consider it one of our favorite, if not very favorite, restaurants. The food is consistently terrific: their longtime signature dishes (pommes frites, mussels in Pernod, flatbreads, crogue monsieur) are still reliably delicious, and they always have seasonal specials that are creative and yummy. We had bacon wrapped salmon with fresh corn the other night that was perfectly cooked and a scrumptious ode to summer. A Cote is great for a romantic dinner for two, for larger parties, special occasions, or a casual meal at the bar. It's also kid friendly -- and our son has enjoyed it since about age 4. We're thrilled that A Cote still delivers. Great wine list, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.