5478 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.acoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: (510) 655-6469
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Matthew Colgan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for details.
A word from A Cote
À Côté is a small-plates restaurant in Oakland's charming Rockridge district. Cozy tables surround large communal tables in both the main dining room and on the sunny patio to create a festive atmosphere. Small plates reflecting the best of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine are served family-style by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Menu items are paired with a carefully chosen selection of over 40 wines by the glass as well as a highly diverse bottled wine menu. Specialty drinks featuring fresh fruits, rare botaniques and fine liqueurs are featured at the bar.Continued
À Côté is a small-plates restaurant in Oakland's charming Rockridge district. Cozy tables surround large communal tables in both the main dining room and on the sunny patio to create a festive atmosphere. Small plates reflecting the best of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine are served family-style by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Menu items are paired with a carefully chosen selection of over 40 wines by the glass as well as a highly diverse bottled wine menu. Specialty drinks featuring fresh fruits, rare botaniques and fine liqueurs are featured at the bar.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
A Cote - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
A Cote reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)neighborhood gem (90)romantic (62)special occasion (61)notable wine list (61)great for outdoor dining (31)good for groups (30)vibrant bar scene (28)hot spot (15)late-night find (7)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Surprising disappointmentVeeCeeDined on 11/18/2014If the service and overall experience was as good as the food! What a shame. The table for "four" cubby hole meant that I was hanging out in the traffic, being bump constantly by customers and servers alike. Our waitress took our second drink order and disappeared for at least a half hour. The pork roulette and mussles were so so good and we would have ordered more had the experience been better. I would recommend this place as a starter, appetizers and a drink.Special Features:
- Interesting Restaurant Marred by Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/17/2014A Cote is a cute little Rockridge restaurant with an interesting menu and some well-prepared dishes. However, a recent business dinner was completely marred by unprofessional and frankly, weird, service. Here are some of the highlights: When we asked for more water for the table the response from the waitress was "you already have some." When one of our party asked for a cheese course as an appetizer, the response was "that's for dessert." When we tried to order a second bottle of wine, she rolled her eyes! And this was not the cute interplay that you encounter with more professional wait staff, this was legitimately strange service. I had to apologize to our business guests, who happened to be foodies and wine enthusiasts. Oh yes, speaking of wine, one of our guests asked the server if the restaurant carried any wines from a certain region of France, and her response was, "No, but we have something from Croatia which is close."
- Service on this night not up to usual standardnancynocalVIPDined on 11/15/2014We (family of 4 including 2 teenagers) consider a Cote to be one of our top 5 restaurants and eat there fairly often. We enjoy the food, have a favorite table in the window that we almost always get and even like the music they play. Typically we have excellent service - very professional and friendly -- and tip generously. This time, our server was noticeably snippy in demeanor and pretty much absent for long stretches of time. She asked if this was our first time at the restaurant and seemed surprised when my son said no, we come here all the time -- not sure if this is fair or accurate, but she gave the impression that she was expecting the worst from a family with kids and was displeased about having to deal with us. I think we left an 18% tip which is pretty stingy for us, and we were happy to walk out the door and leave her behind. If this had been our first time at a Cote, we wouldn't have returned. Since all our prior meals there were great, we'll definitely go back, but there is a limit to how many bad service experiences we'll endure for the sake of the great food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- acote restaurant OaklandMarcelDined on 11/11/2014Our dinner was hot and fabulous. (Papardelle with braised beef shank), I also enjoyed the Cinsualt. We are planning dinner their again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for small platespostoreviewDined on 11/9/2014Nice Rockridge spot - great for small plates (tapas) style food. Large plates looked good but did not try. Great dinner spot with your special someone or just a classy evening out.Special Features:
- Good...Usually Great.RRdinerDined on 11/8/2014My girlfriend and I have been to A' Cote many times over the years... enjoying ourselves with the varied menu and great service. We brought her parents for the first time, building up the food and dining atmosphere. While the food was good (muscles are the best in the bay area), the service was a little less than desired. I found this unfortunate since we have always had wonderful staff, using their food tips (specials) as a guide. While our server was attentive, she was a bit rough around the edges. Upon ordering a bottle of wine, she informed me that I probably wouldn't like my selection. I found this a bit odd.... then why is it on the menu? In a huff she brought the bottle. Wine was great. Prices also seemed to be higher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a neighborhood favorite!JenniferCDined on 11/3/2014Came back for dinner and brought out-of-town vistors along. A Cote did not disappoint - mussels & fries (a must order) consistently delicious (although less broth this time, didn't need extra bread); a salad (w/ persimmons - great flavor combination), steak & porkchop (our guest needed gluten free - otherwise would have ordered a flatbread) all delicious (and well-sized portion for sharing). Server could be warmer - was efficient and knowledgeable - just not memorably friendly. I always need help with their wine list - and our server offered a couple of tastings to make sure we got the right bottle. All in all - a great meal. The one notable - restaurant was very warm (again) - they need to monitor temperature of dining room.Special Features:
- good food but we're hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2014We've been coming to A Cote for years, it's one of our favorite neighborhood places, but for the first time I felt disappointed. Dishes that we've ordered many times were much smaller yet more expensive. The food is excellent, the ambiance is great, and the staff are very nice, but this is not a good development - the two of us spent well over $100 and left hungry.Special Features:
- Nice but priceyMsCatrinaDined on 10/31/2014This is a lovely romantic restaurant that can really hurt your wallet. The small plates we had were very good, but many were almost the price of an entree at other fine dining restaurants. Cocktails and wine selections are interesting, but also overpriced in my opinion. Our server was fantastic-- helpful and attentive, and extremely knowledgeable about the wine, which is important because unless you really know your European wine, you'll be lost. Very much enjoyed the Greek yogurt panna cotta for dessert. If you're looking for a dark, romantic spot for two, I'd recommend A Cote...but only if money is no object.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back of the HouseDennySDined on 10/25/2014I made a reservation for 5:30pm thinking our table would be in the front of the restaurant. Instead we were seated in their make shift back of the restaurant which clearly lacked the ambiance of the front and was rather disappointing. I mentioned that I didn't prefer sitting back there to two different staff members, neither of which offered to move us to the front - instead they proceeded to explain some elaborate protocol for why we have to sit there. The server was also rather rude. Both things overshadowed the food and wine...overall very disappointing experience.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014I'd heard such wonderful things about A Cote but unfortunately after Friday, I will not be going back or recommending this restaurant. We arrived early for our reservation and after 5 minutes finally spoke to the hostess to then be told, they weren't sure if our reservation would be ready on time. Not a problem but there was a table that sat empty for the next 15 minutes that they then finally sat us at. We saw our waitress 4 times over the course of the next hour. We wait over 25 minutes to order our second dish, our first dish was already gone before she ever came back. She did have friends that came in for dinner and she spent a majority of her time at their table. I left highly disappointed at the terrible service.
- Neighborhood gemJenniferCDined on 10/17/2014Great food, interesting wine list (and knowledgeable servers that can recommend great wine pairings!). Kitchen a little inconsistent...sometimes food comes out too fast, but often, too slow. Last visit, ricotta fritters took forever to come out...than felt pressure to finish quickly (servers hovering). Will still come back - best mussels and fries in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Lovely dinner with friendscamy1000Dined on 10/15/2014We sat in the back (outside) part of the restaurant which has been enclosed in heavy curtains for the coming winter weather. The drinks, food, service and ambience were all first rate. The Coupe a Cote dessert was especially yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceparbakeDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary. The food was all excellent: the lamb skewers were perfectly seasoned, and the Moroccan chicken was wonderful. My wife's Pot de Creme was spectacular for dessert. Our server recommended a good red wine, and the whole experience was noteworthy. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemJenniferCDined on 10/3/2014Great having "A Cote" right nearby. Great food, great wine list! The mussels and fries are a must order - best fries on College Avenue!! The fig & speck flatbread is heavenly - another must order. And save room for dessert - the ricotta fritters are beyond delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureJanHDined on 10/2/2014We love this restaurant. The menu on the particular night we dined there was a little carbohydrate and red meat heavy. No poultry options. We have had better meals there but we will always go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FinetasteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Everything was outstanding! The mussels were fresh and plentiful, the watermelon/arugula salad refreshing, and the Greek Panna Cotta dessert was incredible! It is a beautiful setting, especially the semi-outdoor patio seating in the back. Many great wines to choose from and the staff were friendly, knowledgeable and very attentive. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cote was good valueMartyp1Dined on 9/29/2014We were seated and had a lovely server, Cecilia. She was attentive , helped with our wine questions and was knowledgeable about the menu. We had a superb meal, started with the fab mussels, ratatouille(sic)gnioccchi in a creamy pesto sauce that was beyond delish, and finished with the Hanger steak, which we could not finish. For desert I had the yogurt pannacotta with figs. I loved the pannacotta and gave my wie the figs a...she had the pot du creme, and loved it.Special Features:
- Wonderful!ClaireDined on 9/27/2014Wonderful atmosphere, great food, good service (even on a busy Saturday night). All of the staff were friendly and collaborated very well. The parking wasn't too bad either. Will definitely return and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food in RockridgeBerkeleySueDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic food at A Cote. It's a place where you order a number of fabulous smallish plates and share them amongst you. Every dish was well prepared and delicious. The front of the restaurant is very noisy, but once you move into the back dining rooms it is far quieter, a need for me with hearing problems. The service is terrific, very attentive. We went with another couple to celebrate a 60th birthday, and it was just perfect. And desert was delicious.Special Features:
- MferVIPDined on 9/21/2014We come for the mussels and stay for everything else. The lamb and fries were both cooked perfectly. Service was a little spotty. Timing of our dishes was off and the explanation was lame. A simple I'm so sorry would have been better. Coming back for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ambiance but food was averageConDDined on 9/20/2014The place itself is really well put together, with a cool hip vibe. The staff was very friendly but did not seem to know much about the extensive wine list. We tried several different flights and left without knowing anything about the wine except that the reds (all 3, really?) were "earthy" and the white was "the typical wet stones flavor". We shared the soup, Lobster fritters, mussels, watermelon salad and lamb. Everything was just okay, we were disappointed.
- A Cote: Wine List with Great FoodCollinCaseyDined on 9/17/2014Wine list is the main event, but the warm service, handsome space and the clean, simple and delicious food all make for a great meal. Killer spot.Special Features:
- A OKwinkDined on 9/15/2014Overall a very nice experience. The waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable assisting us with our wine selection. We had three plates: 1) Arugula salad - yummy, however for the price, it really should have been larger. 2) Mussels - excellent, a good portion, and if you ask for more, they will bring you more bread for dipping up the sauce at no extra charge, 3) Fried Potatoes - very good, and super dipping sauce. I'd probably come back for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOmnomDined on 9/12/2014A Cote was lovely! We had a nice dinner sharing our plates. The steak was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariaDined on 9/9/2014My friend highly recommended this restaurant. A Cote' was just OK. It was disappointing in that the food didn't come all at once. We ordered 7 dishes. The dishes came in twos; once we were done eating the first two dishes, we had to wait another 15 minutes for the next two dishes to come. I found it frustrating.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014I have long been a devotee of A Cote and my latest experience there was no exception. How DO they make such tasty food! We had the outdoor seating and it was like being in a garden We had the mussels (of course) and they alone are worth the destination but everything else was exceptional as well. I think this is a more intimate type of restaurant--I would no go there with a crowd as I think the sharing would be confusing.Special Features:
- Great date nightMissJDined on 9/6/2014A'Cote has always been consistent and fantastic every time we go. I especially enjoy the variety on the wine list and the servers who are so helpful in picking out the right one. The food is amazing, we had a cheese plate, pomme frites, halibut, and fig/prosciutto flatbread...all very well executed. I love the easy pace that the food comes out, there is no rush but it's not so slow that you're looking for the waiter. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphereBebeDined on 9/6/2014We had a lovely dinner experience at A Cote. Since the plates are shared and if you're with a large group, you need to order multiple orders of the same dish. I think this place is better suited for smaller groups. The prices are a little pricey for the size of the dish you are getting, but everything was tasty and up to par with quality. We would definitely go back. Service was great. The waiter was very nice and friendly. He checked on our table a few times and made sure we enjoyed our experience. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has changedMy1stcommentonOPDined on 9/4/2014I decided to bring an out of town guest to dinner at the tried and true...No brainier. Wrong. Something was terribly wrong with the service , the servers were completely checked out and didn't seen to care nor offer an apology for drinks taking20 mins, our wine which we paired came or did not arrive with the paired plate. Food order was over 33 mins, rush rush throw the food on the table, mumbled if we needed anything further as they walked off, when I kept having to repeat myself 3 times that I needed another napkin.... The list of wrongs is too long. The worst ...I left a note on the comment card that came with the bill asking management to call me re:my experience and the service.... No call back. Too bad, this used to be a good spot :(
- Memorable!BrokenLCDDined on 9/4/2014Visited A Cote on a recent business trip to the Bay Area. Location is a few blocks from the BART in a nice walkable neighborhood. Really enjoyed the food and service, and their were many more in the restaurant who also seemed to be enjoying it.Special Features:
- Loved itBirthdayNightDateDined on 9/1/2014We made reservations to ensure we had a spot. We were seated right away and the service was spot on! Our server knew the wine list and helped us make a great selection based on what we were seeking. Food was served quickly and was what we ordered.Special Features:
- Small PlatesValleyVisitorDined on 8/31/2014We arrived expecting the same total small plates menu we had experienced in the past. While the food and preparation were excellent, we preferred the old approach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food..service lacksLuv2EatVIPDined on 8/26/2014We've been to this restaurant many times. The menu is limited but good. The consistent issue here is service. It lacks attention and gratitude. Hey, you can check on your drinks and "do you need anything else?" at least once. The servers seem to lack experience. Happy to say that there are a lot of other "new" and "hip" places to eat in the area. Won't be coming back for a long time. Bye.
- kathyDined on 8/24/2014We chose A Cote to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, and asked for a table with a little privacy. We had a wonderful table, a wonderful server, attentive staff of many, and the food couldn't have been better. Our server just took care of us - and it made all the difference with the result of having a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Outdoor Diners: Ask for Table 21joiedevivreDined on 8/23/2014Upon arrival, I asked if my party of two could be seated outdoors, and the hostess was happy to accommodate. A waitress seated us at a wonderful table facing a picturesque garden. Then less than five minutes later, another server came and told us we would have to move to another table as that one was reserved. We were moved to an outdoor adjacent table, with no view of the garden, where even the natural light was blocked by dark drapery. While it was a disappointment, worse was that our server for the night was noticeably annoyed with us for being so. The food was so-so, less quality and smaller quantity than I would have expected for the price. A more enjoyable dining experience can be had elsewhere for less investment, I'm sure.Special Features:
- ChangesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014It's sad to see but acote used to be so good. The salad had very little flavor and wasn't well mixed, the mussels were quite good, the fries were over cooked, the steak was tough even though it was rare. The service was decent. Consistency is key and a restaurant near Alcatraz has it and nails it every time.Special Features:
- PaloSoloDined on 8/21/2014My GF and I chose A Cote for her birthday celebration. Food was excellent. Halibut with assorted veggies was really good. I liked the al dente pasta which we got. Food quantity was just right. Desserts were amazing and alone worth the trip to this restaurant. Service could have been friendlier and more responsive, but was fine. Ambience was energetic, sometimes noisy when the grad students at the table nearby started arguing about some inane point. Overall, highly recommendable.Special Features:
- Interesting.luvlafayetteVIPDined on 8/21/2014I liked A Cote...The food was good (nothing exceptional but good). What was strange I would say was the the pasta dish "Tortellini" which was $17 comes with about 6-7 pieces of tortellini, basically enough for a toddler. Yet their appetizer dish of Mussels $16 was enough to fill a VERY hungry man. We also ordered the flatbread $17. It was OK, good as an appetizer for 2 but nothing special. I do like their wine flight options and the service wa good but what made it exceptional was that they didn't rush you. EXCELLENT. Will be back for wine & Mussels.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysDannygirlDined on 8/18/2014A Cote always shines. The menu is always changing so you may not be able to have the green gazpacho, chicken and panzanella, and merguez with clams that we had. But all the food is great. And ask your server about wine pairings! Their huge wine list, offers of half glasses, and extremely knowledgeable staff means you can try different ones with different dishes, which is a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.