5478 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.acoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: (510) 655-6469
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Matthew Colgan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for details.
A word from A Cote
À Côté is a small-plates restaurant in Oakland's charming Rockridge district. Cozy tables surround large communal tables in both the main dining room and on the sunny patio to create a festive atmosphere. Small plates reflecting the best of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine are served family-style by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Menu items are paired with a carefully chosen selection of over 40 wines by the glass as well as a highly diverse bottled wine menu. Specialty drinks featuring fresh fruits, rare botaniques and fine liqueurs are featured at the bar.Continued
À Côté is a small-plates restaurant in Oakland's charming Rockridge district. Cozy tables surround large communal tables in both the main dining room and on the sunny patio to create a festive atmosphere. Small plates reflecting the best of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine are served family-style by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Menu items are paired with a carefully chosen selection of over 40 wines by the glass as well as a highly diverse bottled wine menu. Specialty drinks featuring fresh fruits, rare botaniques and fine liqueurs are featured at the bar.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
A Cote - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
A Cote reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (87)romantic (59)notable wine list (57)special occasion (57)great for outdoor dining (28)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (24)hot spot (14)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistently excellentGinPawsDined on 6/7/2014À Côté consistently delivers outstanding food that changes seasonally, unique and delicious wine options, and an atmosphere that lends itself to long, intimate conversations. The servers are knowledgeable about all menu items and provide wine pairing recommendations that will satisfy everyone from the neophyte to the adventurous connoisseur. While the wine list is exemplary, the cocktails also deserve recognition for being both innovative and well-balanced. Our most recent dining experience was the first time out on the patio, which is a gorgeous space. It is worth noting that it can get a little chilly on the patio, but the staff are very accommodating with turning on heaters and closing the awning over the space.Special Features:
- Why the loud music?gbb4uVIPDined on 6/7/2014For the first time in many years, A Cote played loud music. Very loud. The reason I go there so much is that you don't need to shout at your dinner companions. Last night was dreadful. We asked twice to have the music turned down, they didn't, and the server noted that this is oftne requested but they never turn it down. It's a shame. Always my go-to restaurant, but a twitch on the volume knob would keep it as the #1 place in terms of quality of food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:
- Good food, better serviceldoanDined on 6/6/2014I took some folks to A Cote for a business dinner recently since my husband and I just moved to the neighborhood. The service was wonderful and attentive. The wine recommendations were great. They seemed very proud of their collection. The flat-iron steak and the beignets at the end of the meal were my favorite parts. The olives were also very tasty. We were seated in the outdoor area, where it got a tad cold. But the heater helped.Special Features:
- Great food interesting winesJoanDined on 6/6/2014Interesting shared dishes. Wine selection from soviet Georgia were uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!FinomBorDined on 5/29/2014Service was outstanding, food was beyond impressive. Don't be fooled by the small plates. Three plates, plus cheese plate, plus one shared dessert was enough for the three of us. Given the quality of food, the service, the selection options - the price was reasonable.Special Features:
- We loved our meal!sf2oaklandDined on 5/25/2014Our meal was fantastic. We started with the calamari and artichoke salad and the duck pate, and let me tell you...I'll be returning just to have that calamari artichoke salad again. The calamari was so tender, plentiful, and the dressing was just amazing. It'd make a great lunch dish all by itself. We also got a variety of cheeses (buffalo, sheep and cow/sheep blend) which is always delicious. The fruit and candied nuts make for a great pairing. For a main dish we shared the scallops plate, which was also delicious. The scallops were perfectly cooked, which is the most essential part of getting a scallop dish right. We finished with Coupe a Cote - a perfect rich finish. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingPaigeVIPDined on 5/19/2014A Cote has been on our go-to list for over 10 years. It's always fresh, the food always interesting, and the service always spot-on. We use it for date nights, special friends-in-from-out-of-town nights, and a great late night kitchen in an neighborhood that closes down early. The ambience is always warm, friendly and just upscale enough to make it feel special without being stuffy.Special Features:
- Very Disappointing DinnerDsliceDined on 5/17/2014I was a repeat diner and this was one of my very favorite places to eat but this last experience was very disappointing. 1hour between service of appetizers and dinner plates and the Waite had the audacity to say that it was because we asked them to spread out time plates would be served. Another server had a very snooty attitude. Just a really bad experience. Don't know if I'll return.
- Fancy diningILikeTurtleDined on 5/17/2014My girlfriend and I absolutely adore this restaurant and the intimate setting, great service and the great seafood options. I enjoy the oysters and quail ( which I tried here for the first time) while she loves the mussels because it comes with a sauce that's great for dipping the bread in. We always enjoy this place when we stop by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must go.Food4meeDined on 5/16/2014Pizza, chickpea hummus and scallops to we're fabulous. Waiter was very knowledgable about Italian wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hip and quaintKittyKatDined on 5/16/2014Came here for a double date with my pregnant friend. The food was delicious, but definitely on the pricier size. The waiter said the food is meant to be shared, but with the plates being on the smaller side by the end of the night we weren't feeling full. I guess if you were willing to spend more money you could. Needless to say the food was delicious, but definitely come prepared to put a dent in your wallet. Of course we ordered the mussels and they were cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds ExpectationsJon1949VIPDined on 5/11/2014We've been to A Cote a few times and we always expect good food and good service. They always deliver great food and great service. The wine flights here are interesting, unusual and even educational. This time they featured wines from Croatia, Hungary and the Republic of Georgia. We had a couple of Hungarian reds that went well with our meal of shared small plates. Everything was tasty and served promptly and graciously. We had a carrot-parsnip soup, arugula salad, scallops and bucatini. Each item was beautifully presented and creatively prepared. The soup was very thick. The bucatini was served last which was a good thing. It's strong flavors would have drowned out the more subtle scallops. They just seem to know how to do things right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!anonymousDined on 5/4/2014A Cote is as good as ever. They actually paid attention to my special request since it was our anniversary - they provided a bottle of pink bubbly that was quite good. Food and service were terrific, and the recommendations of our server were spot on. We knew the hostess,and she took the time to visit with us when she wasn't busy. All in all a great meal experience. It was a Sunday night and we closed the place down.Special Features:
- Yummm...w/ Great Service!DrSushiVIPDined on 5/4/2014Took my wife and father-in-law for an early dinner (earliest seating), as we needed to get to airport later. Not only was service superb, but food was delightful as well. The smaller plate sizes really allowed the table to order 5 separate dishes and share....making our choices easier, since we all got to try enticing things from the menu. I highly recommend the home-made pasta dishes, which were completely savory! My wife tried a new cocktail and didn't like it. Our server replaced it with something else at no charge. We greatly appreciated that gesture. While not inexpensive, you get what you pay for: ambience, service, excellent food choices and preparation. What's not to like! Kudos to A Cote.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood spotGemInMyHoodDined on 5/2/2014I can always count on A Cote for a delicious dinner. I love the ambiance, kind of dark and a bit of an old school feel. Food is always spot on and they've got some great specialty drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencefoodiesDined on 4/29/2014truly a neighborhood gem. interesting food choices. service was excellent. servers very professional. prices most reasonable.Special Features:
- Great for a special nightEzdinerDined on 4/29/2014I wanted to take my wife somewhere somewhere special for her birthday and Acote was perfect. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and delishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/28/2014The food was wonderfully prepared, the staff was charming and attentive without being overbearing and the back garden area was perfect. Take a note: Just get the bottle ...you're going to keep ordering their fabulous wines anyway and we could have bought two for what we paid for all those glasses!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasty and comfortable experienceeastbaydinerDined on 4/26/2014We were a group of 5 old friends together for a good meal and catching up on the past few years since our last outing. We were seated in the booth in the back which, except for being a little on the dark side, was perfect for the catching up without disturbing our neighbors. The food was excellent especially the mussels. I do wish, for sharing, some of the plates were a little larger. I admit 5 is awkward for sharing, a little too many people for the entrees which would be fine for 4, and not enough people for doubling orders. Perhaps offering the dishes in 2 sizes, small and large would accommodate sharing a little better. All in all though, the overall experience was good and I would recommend A Cote.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent wine and flatbread.YummyDined on 4/25/2014We most enjoyed the wine and the cremini mushroom flatbread. Delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Pleasant Surprise & Great FindLJB1Dined on 4/22/2014Intent was to have an intimate dinner experience, which was realized; when making a reservation indicate a preference for intimacy. Not a large menu, but well diversified. Plates are of moderate size well suited for country style sharing. Presentation was very good as was quality; mussels are outdistancing as was the Coo Au Vin. Well diversified and eclectic wine offerings. Service was great, attentive but not rushed - stayed for nearly three hours. Decor was very pleasing with a mix of modern and tradition well blended. Will most definitely return.Special Features:
- Poor Seating and PriceyJessDined on 4/19/2014The ambiance in the front part of the restaurant is quite nice and very romantic with candles and nice music,though pretty crowded, especially if you are waiting for a table while at the bar. Soon we were brought to our table which was in the back patio/tent of the restaurant. As we got closer to our table, we got further away from the ambiance and romance. The back tent lacked the candles, music and very much the romantic feel of the front. Reservations were made over a week in advance and I was disappointed. The food was alright- the portions were "medium" as we had been told-- but of the three dishes we order the lack innovation and presentation, especially for the price. The service was the one good thing, but I won't be back.Special Features:
- great meal!mixedDined on 4/18/2014Excellent subtle service. Great selection of savory "small plates" which are more like "medium plates." Dessert...meh. but the cheese course selection makes that kind of a moot point. Interesting and unusual wine and beer selection. We tried 4 . All very good. Full bar a nice added value.
- Great EveningDanboyDined on 4/10/2014Tasty food and friendly service made our recent dinner here a delight. Getting our server involved in our food and wine selections was a very good move. She knew the menu well and made some excellent suggestions. Overall, we had a great evening and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingochoDined on 4/8/2014We were seated in a west facing booth late afternoon and blinded by sunlight every time the front door opened which was frequently. Spring onion soup was thick and undistinguished. Mussels were salty and too firm. Server was attentive and helpful.
- Love this PlaceCT86Dined on 4/7/2014I live in the neighborhood and am at A Cote all the time. The food and drinks here are great. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety for your palletGilbertDined on 4/3/2014The mussels with Pernod were great with the french fries. The lamb tagine with the flatbread were amazing and shouldn't be missed. I brought a party of 11 and you managed this group beautifully - thank you!Special Features:
- Good, but not what it used to bebiofireDined on 4/3/2014My wife and I met here 7 years ago and have gone back every year to celebrate our first date. The food is great as always, but the service has really slipped. Drinks arrived habitually late. Servers brought food we didn't order. Our own food took rather long to arrive. But the worst thing was that the general manager was acting as host that night. He greeted us with a head nod and barely managed a "hey". He hung out with his friends at a table in the bar by the window doing a "wine tasting"--4 guys, 6 bottles. It must have been fun because he didn't pay attention to anything going on out on the floor. Honestly, it reminded me of a bad episode of "Bar Rescue". I'm glad I met my wife there, but we won't be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall excellent evening at A CoteNinafelDined on 3/31/2014Friends of ours from Vancouver were visiting, one a master sommelier who teaches wine. She was absolutely wowed by the diversity of the wine list; said she wished her students could come for tastings. We had two bottles of red, one a Corsican one and one that had an earthy, almost mushroomy flavor that I loved, but can't remember the name of. Server was charming, attentive, and friendly. Food overall extremely good, especially the olives (every one a winner), the duck breast (pizza-style) flatbread and the ravioli. Only quibbles: - Fries overdone, almost burned, though still kind of soggy - Amount of cheese on cheese plate infinitesimal--hard cheese tiny 3 slivers and soft, about an inch square.Special Features:
- Server ImmaturitySJSeattle590Dined on 3/30/2014My mom and step-dad were visiting from out of town, and a friend recommended A Cote. Since we just moved to Rockridge, we were very excited to try it and hoped it would become a special occasion spot for us. However, very early into our experience at the restaurant, I was disappointed to see the the two servers working with our table were clearly gossiping about my parents. My folks can be very particular and come off as rude. Believe me, I know it's hard not to take it personally. It was surprising to see the two servers looking at our table and rolling their eyes, commenting on my folks within ear-shot of us. It was disappointing, not to mention unprofessional. While the food and drinks were outstanding, I'm not sure we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails but food not worthMSF2Dined on 3/29/2014I always like bringing friends here once a year to taste the yummy drinks but every time I'm more and more disappointed with the food. I mean… its OK but for the price? A small flatbread is $16 and burnt fries are $6. I think you get better value elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightJMackVIPDined on 3/27/2014The food and service at this spot are very top notch. Our server offered to let us taste several wines she had recommended until we found the right one. I also highly recommend it for a date because the noise level is very comfortable. (You can actually hear your date!)Special Features:
- The food was unexceptionalItalophileVIPDined on 3/20/2014The food was unexceptional for the price. The interior is very dark.
- Great ExperienceBaseballRichDined on 3/8/2014Nothing to complain about. Everything was spot on!Special Features:
- One of our go to restaurants.BayCVIPDined on 3/5/2014We have been eating here for years and always enjoy our evenings out at A Cote. We most often bring our own bottle of wine & the staff treats it with interest, decants if asked & gives us appropriate stemware. When we don't bring a bottle, the wine list is excellent as well as the cocktails and available hard & after dinner drinks. We have an established pattern, cheese plate, salad, followed by several dishes usually including a flat bread. We are still speaking wistfully of the confit flat bread we enjoyed during our last visit. The deserts are sometimes hit or miss. When it's one of those nights when we just feel like we need to get out, relax, have a great bottle of wine paired with really good food, A Cote immediately comes to mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for anytime casual or specialfranDined on 2/28/2014We were a group of 4 celebrating a birthday. Our waitress picked up on that from hearing our conversation and with dessert brought a candle for the birthday girl…without our asking for it. We thought that was great! We had fun choosing our dishes and loved every one of them. We especially enjoyed the duck flatbread and the Mahi Mahi. Service was done with cheerfulness, timely-ness, and helpfulness. I would so love to return to see what interesting dishes are on the menu then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable...EaterVIPDined on 2/28/2014Haven't been back here in a while but very consistent and good. Wish they had more veggie options and would identify their sourcing of meat and veggies....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting food and accommodatingJeanneDined on 2/26/2014Small plates were distinctive and every one was good. One of our partyy was stuck on the BART for 45 minutes, but the restaurant personnel didn't turn a hair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite wine listJpdeveerDined on 2/22/2014If you like natural wines, A Cote has you covered. This has become my favorite birthday spot because of their old world wine selection, coupled with a wood fire oven. Leave the kids at home if you have them, don't ruin everyone's dinning experience with your ill behaved children, this place is cozy and intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for sharingjudyoDined on 2/17/2014The food was interesting and of outstanding quality. There are both small plates and larger ones for sharing. The staff was good at timing food delivery so you could enjoy each dish without being overwhelmed. Had us taste a couple of wines before ordering a bottle. Good for small groups but is too small for large ones..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.