5478 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.acoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5106556469x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Matthew Colgan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for details.
A word from A Cote
À Côté is a small-plates restaurant in Oakland's charming Rockridge district. Cozy tables surround large communal tables in both the main dining room and on the sunny patio to create a festive atmosphere. Small plates reflecting the best of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine are served family-style by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Menu items are paired with a carefully chosen selection of over 40 wines by the glass as well as a highly diverse bottled wine menu. Specialty drinks featuring fresh fruits, rare botaniques and fine liqueurs are featured at the bar.Continued
À Côté is a small-plates restaurant in Oakland's charming Rockridge district. Cozy tables surround large communal tables in both the main dining room and on the sunny patio to create a festive atmosphere. Small plates reflecting the best of seasonal Mediterranean cuisine are served family-style by a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Menu items are paired with a carefully chosen selection of over 40 wines by the glass as well as a highly diverse bottled wine menu. Specialty drinks featuring fresh fruits, rare botaniques and fine liqueurs are featured at the bar.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
A Cote - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
A Cote reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (103)romantic (77)notable wine list (71)special occasion (70)great for outdoor dining (46)vibrant bar scene (27)good for groups (25)late-night find (17)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good food..service lacksLuv2EatVIPDined on 8/26/2014We've been to this restaurant many times. The menu is limited but good. The consistent issue here is service. It lacks attention and gratitude. Hey, you can check on your drinks and "do you need anything else?" at least once. The servers seem to lack experience. Happy to say that there are a lot of other "new" and "hip" places to eat in the area. Won't be coming back for a long time. Bye.
- kathyDined on 8/24/2014We chose A Cote to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, and asked for a table with a little privacy. We had a wonderful table, a wonderful server, attentive staff of many, and the food couldn't have been better. Our server just took care of us - and it made all the difference with the result of having a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Outdoor Diners: Ask for Table 21joiedevivreDined on 8/23/2014Upon arrival, I asked if my party of two could be seated outdoors, and the hostess was happy to accommodate. A waitress seated us at a wonderful table facing a picturesque garden. Then less than five minutes later, another server came and told us we would have to move to another table as that one was reserved. We were moved to an outdoor adjacent table, with no view of the garden, where even the natural light was blocked by dark drapery. While it was a disappointment, worse was that our server for the night was noticeably annoyed with us for being so. The food was so-so, less quality and smaller quantity than I would have expected for the price. A more enjoyable dining experience can be had elsewhere for less investment, I'm sure.Special Features:
- ChangesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014It's sad to see but acote used to be so good. The salad had very little flavor and wasn't well mixed, the mussels were quite good, the fries were over cooked, the steak was tough even though it was rare. The service was decent. Consistency is key and a restaurant near Alcatraz has it and nails it every time.Special Features:
- PaloSoloDined on 8/21/2014My GF and I chose A Cote for her birthday celebration. Food was excellent. Halibut with assorted veggies was really good. I liked the al dente pasta which we got. Food quantity was just right. Desserts were amazing and alone worth the trip to this restaurant. Service could have been friendlier and more responsive, but was fine. Ambience was energetic, sometimes noisy when the grad students at the table nearby started arguing about some inane point. Overall, highly recommendable.Special Features:
- Interesting.luvlafayetteDined on 8/21/2014I liked A Cote...The food was good (nothing exceptional but good). What was strange I would say was the the pasta dish "Tortellini" which was $17 comes with about 6-7 pieces of tortellini, basically enough for a toddler. Yet their appetizer dish of Mussels $16 was enough to fill a VERY hungry man. We also ordered the flatbread $17. It was OK, good as an appetizer for 2 but nothing special. I do like their wine flight options and the service wa good but what made it exceptional was that they didn't rush you. EXCELLENT. Will be back for wine & Mussels.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysDannygirlDined on 8/18/2014A Cote always shines. The menu is always changing so you may not be able to have the green gazpacho, chicken and panzanella, and merguez with clams that we had. But all the food is great. And ask your server about wine pairings! Their huge wine list, offers of half glasses, and extremely knowledgeable staff means you can try different ones with different dishes, which is a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is A Cote changing?EastBaycouple2Dined on 8/18/2014My husband and I have been going to A Cote for the past 6 years. While the food is still incredible, the overall experience feels like it has changed. The past two visits we were seated in the back room (we had reservations) which would be a wonderful spot on a warm night. Unfortunately, we don't get many of those so it is either too cold or stuffy when they draw the curtains (and then it feels a bit claustrophobic). The front room's ambience is better. We were helped with wine selections and loved our results. Our first choice of wine and cheese were both unavailable but the alternatives were both good. Our overall experience was not as exceptional as our first time but we will return-with different expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly amazing!curlitoDined on 8/16/2014Beautiful space, great service, and almost everything was amazing-- surprising and delicious flavors. The mussels, rabbit sausage flatbread, Georgian wine in a clay bowl were all off-the-charts. The only mild disappointment was the chanterelle pasta: fine and with a nice texture to the noodles, but fairly bland with no discernible mushroom flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I've been to A Cote many times and have always enjoyed the place. But this time I was a bit disappointed at the service and the food. We ordered mussels, fries, halibut and sausage with clams. Overall the food was a good but when we got our sausage and clams, I was upset. They gave us five clams and one tiny piece of sausage, not even enough for my six year old son to enjoy. The dish was $18, I expected at least a couple more pieces of sausage. The service was not that great also, we had a 5:45 reservation so it wasn't that crowded. Our server was lack luster, he hardly ever checked up on us or ask us how our food was. We waited forever for our food and cocktails. This could have been just a bad night for us.Special Features:
- It's Rockridge, so you pay moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014There's nothing really wrong with this place but there's nothing special either. You're essentially paying a premium because the restaurant is in Rockridge. In my personal opinion, the food was just average. I ordered their Albacore Tuna Nicoise which didn't exactly knock my socks off. I have no complaints about the service. It met expectations. It wasn't especially warm but I wasn't offended by anything either. I really wanted to like this place. The setting is nice and I reservations were easy. So, overall the place is an average place to get okay food. I probably won't go back because frankly, I can go to other places that I prefer. Competition is stiff. Sorry, A Cote.
- Nothing SpecialgolfkatVIPDined on 8/12/2014Seems like they are just going through the motions. Nothing so clever or creative. Too much dressing on salad, too many fried items on menu, not enough healthy options. Limited wine per glass as well. Need a total revamp of menu and the space!!!Special Features:
- A Cote has Changed for the worsealamedagalDined on 8/9/2014My hubby and I have been going here for years, and sadly will not return. It used to be a neighborhood gem, with excellent food, service, and atmosphere. Our male waiter had long hair that was not pulled back and he kept brushing it out of his face. The food was terrible- we had to send back two salads that were wilted (they must have been dressed hours before). Our $20 chicken plate was dry and unimpressive. We then heard that the original chef just left 2 weeks ago, which must explain the drastic change for the worse. I hope they get their act together soon, or they will continue to lose many loyal customers like us.
- First Time, Won't Be The Last!fooddudeattitudeDined on 8/8/2014As an out of towner from Portland, Oregon, I had some high expectations for this place. It was my girlfriend and I wanting to have a special lunch with her grandmother and cousin, so we chose this place. As a native Portlander where we are known for our wacky and gastronomically exquisite cuisine, I can safely say this place knows what they're doing. Friendly server, great atmosphere, and the food was heavenly. I ordered the mussels and the broth alone was worth ordering, let alone the rest of their wonderful food. Will come back if I'm ever back in Oakland!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Disappointing. Over the last couple years quality of food and service has gone down. We used to go there all the time but we won't be going back after this last experience. Shrimp plate looked and tasted like something my grandmother would make. Even the fries that you could usually count on weren't even crispy- as if they had been sitting in the kitchen for awhile. We also had only our fries midway of 5 dishes, and we had to wait about 20 min for our next dish.Special Features:
- A delightful find !CVThomasDined on 7/31/2014A Cote is delightful! The food was inventive and fun; the wine list was very eclectic and the staff was wonderful and helpful; the wine/food parings suggested were excellent! We spent our time listing friends and who to bring back next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening on patioPatRDined on 7/30/2014Have been going here for years and we just discovered their outdoor patio. You can't beat their mussels they're super good and cooked perfectly. Great cocktails and small platesSpecial Features:
- MusicteamVIPDined on 7/26/2014Everything was great except the music being played seemed terribly inappropriate for a classy location and a Saturday night - something more mellow would be appreciated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday CelebrationBirthdaygirlDined on 7/26/2014It's hard to know where to begin with this restaurant. Our evening at A Cote was flawless. We were celebrating 2 birthdays, and our expectations were exceeded by impeccable service, outstanding food, and wonderful atmosphere. The wait staff never interrupted our conversation to clear plates or fill water glasses (we thought ghosts were doing it!) Our waiter was awesome, and made a really tough dance look easy. His timing, knowledge of the food and menu, and how he pampered us was what makes a great waiter GREAT. The food was not only artistically presented, it was DELISH. AND the bonus at the end of the meal were two desserts with candles. They remembered it was a birthday celebration! This is our new go-to special occasion spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We had ordered the squash blossom stuffed with carrot puree and goat cheese, mussels and rabbit flatbread. The flavors of each dish complemented each other. We sat in the patio on a warm summer afternoon which was very nice and refreshing. Especially coming from the south bay.Special Features:
- First timersFlavornatorDined on 7/21/2014We live in the neighborhood, and wanted to check out a place with a great reputation. Everything was executed very well. The staff was friendly and accommodating. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual wine list & delicious foodMonicaDined on 7/21/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my first meal at A Coté. They were very flexible when we needed to move our reservation at the last minute. The wine list is full of unusual European wines, so it's a fun place to try something new. Small-ish plates were fine for 2 to share. We had 3 & dessert & it was plenty of food. Squash blossoms were lovely & different from the usual presentation. Flatbread with lobster mushrooms was decadent (drizzled with truffle oil). I'd definitely recommend & will visit again.Special Features:
- Always fun to go hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014I like the vibe at A Cote. The bar is pretty and very comfortable for dining, and the bartender was great. It is a small plate kind of place (which I like), and although most of our food was delicious, some dishes seemed like they were trying too hard - like the clams and sausage. I do recommend the cheese plate for dessert - fabulous!! At the end of the evening I felt like we had had a great time but that the cost was a little high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loe John!DiamondDined on 7/18/2014We decided to go in for appetizers, dessert and drinks. John, our server, was excellent! He listen to what we liked and gave perfect recommendations. He was relatable and relaxed. I loved eerything we hae and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- As wonderful as everarlenizuchiniDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I have been eating at A Cote for a long time and consider it one of our favorite, if not very favorite, restaurants. The food is consistently terrific: their longtime signature dishes (pommes frites, mussels in Pernod, flatbreads, crogue monsieur) are still reliably delicious, and they always have seasonal specials that are creative and yummy. We had bacon wrapped salmon with fresh corn the other night that was perfectly cooked and a scrumptious ode to summer. A Cote is great for a romantic dinner for two, for larger parties, special occasions, or a casual meal at the bar. It's also kid friendly -- and our son has enjoyed it since about age 4. We're thrilled that A Cote still delivers. Great wine list, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is one of my favoritesJaniceStewartDined on 7/17/2014So what else is there to say. I tried the squid, and it was outstanding. The cheese plate is a great dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Acote' - Rockrodgehungry4foodDined on 7/13/2014Although the food was good for my taste , it was too spicy for my wife. The portions were quite small and very expensive. I would feel comfortable recommending this restaurant only to those who want a unique taste experience.Special Features:
- Tres Bon!SFNICADined on 7/12/2014Once again the good food, good service, and good environment of A Cote wowed us. We have been to this restaurant a few times and I must say that every time the experience is excellent and thoroughly enjoyable. I highly recommend to just focus on the small dishes OR order the larger ones with the purpose of sharing so that you can get a good array of all the excellent tastes. Do not skip on the mussels an the frites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Service was excellent. Food was adequate. They overcharge for small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific 'Bistro'RobertDined on 7/7/2014This is a warm, rustic venue with a very nice bar and a sheltered outdoor seating area in the back (no view, but it is 'outside' which can be pleasant on a summer night). The spirits list is impressive (rum is in) and the food blends comfort with creativity. A very tasty kale salad accompanied by superb oven-baked mussels hit the spot. The stuffed calamari was well executed (tender) but the filling was a bit bland. Desert was decadent. Returning any time with pleasure. (note: we rated it 'quiet', but we were outside and it was not crowded).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2014Been here many times, usually great. This time we were seated at a cramped table very close to a party of four boisterous, drunken people who talked so loudly that I actually got a headache. The server apologized that they were short-staffed, but we got ignored in the noise. I should have asked to be relocated, and didn't. This is usually a romantic, intimate spot: this time it was exhausting. The food was a bit hit and miss, too. Excellent soup and flatbread, mussels tasty but lukewarm and the salad and sides seemed unseasoned. I realize that the restaurant is at the mercy of customers too, but all in all it was so disappointing. I will go back, but what was my favorite table in my favorite spot is no longer. We were uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good night at A CoteOakdinerDined on 7/6/2014We have been going to A Cote for at least 15 years. Last night they weren't on their game. The food was not very good, fries soggy and then when brought back after complaining were overcooked. The rest of the food was average and forgettable. The one highlight was the wine list with lots of wonderful wines by the glass from all over Europe. Will probably go back and give them another chance as we are hoping this was a one off....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/5/2014Nice atmosphere and good food and service. Parking was easy early in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer greatGriff2Dined on 7/5/2014What once was great is now mediocre. First after telling the server how I wanted my martini she told me they don't make them that way at Acote. What!? Service went down hill from there. I have been going to Acote for years but never again. Food was mediocre at best. The mussels and frites, their claim to fame, were awful. Flatbread was awful. I am so disappointed in what this place has become. If you want a restaurant that comes close, try Sidebar in Oakland, Lake Merritt. Someone needs to tell the emperor he has no clothes.
- Too long between courses!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014While the atmosphere and food were great. We could only sit there together for so long before we realized the small plates we had been continuously ordering had stopped coming for about 15 minutes. While the waiters didn't seem too concerned about it (frustrating!), it was more than long enough to become uncomfortable sitting in front of my clients/dinner guests while we stared at dirty, empty plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014We loved this restaurant, would DEFINITELY go back and highly recommend it. Our server, the manager, Heather, was so knowledgeable and fun and the food was creative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingelnicDined on 6/15/2014Took my dad here for father's day, it was so good. Everything we ate was incredible - you can't go wrong on the cheese plate. The calamari, kale salad, the atmosphere - really great. Will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food at A CoteSJfoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2014Enjoyed a delicious meal at A Cote; a diverse menu that provides a lot of choices; everything was delicious and service was great.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 6/15/2014We have eaten at ACote a few times in the past and have had a very good meal. This time it seemed everything was off. We had reservations and they put us in the way back room which had flies flying all around the table. We asked to be moved and it took them awhile to move us even though the restaurant was not even full yet. The Martini that was ordered came in a champagne glass instead of a Martini glass and the olives were just plopped in the glass with no scewers. The waitress told us they ran out of scewers. They also charged $2.00 more for a Martini then what was listed on the menu. I also felt the food wasn't as tasty as it had been in the past.
- DisappointedeatwellVIPDined on 6/14/2014We've eaten at A Cote many times and liked it. This time, the food was very mediocre. The stuffed calamari was tasteless. Service was confused and rather slow. Will wait to go back!