a Cena Ristorante
7742 SE 13th Avenue
Portland, OR 97202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
a Cena Ristorante
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.acenapdx.com/
- Phone: 5032063291
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Lunch: Tuesday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gabriel Gabreski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Most of our menu items and other creative items designed between our chef and the client
- Private Party Facilities: Three rooms allow for separate or joined private dining for 20 to 70 people
- Private Party Contact: Chris Custer 5032063291
A word from a Cena Ristorante
At a Cena, we share a love for simply cooked meals enjoyed with friends and family. We value fresh ingredients, local Portland area farmers, handmade pastas and cured meats, daily prepared breads, consistency, a well-matched wine list, and a seasoned and personable staff. With these elements, we strive to offer our guests a fine-dining experience with the comfort and warmth of an Italian country kitchen. Salute!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
a Cena Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
a Cena Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (123)fit for foodies (106)special occasion (100)romantic (71)notable wine list (54)great for outdoor dining (47)good for groups (27)great for lunch (26)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (14)great for brunch (10)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014What a delightful find, a true gem! The owner was more than gracious, the food was outstanding, the neighborhood this restaurant is located in is very charming. This will be a restaurant we will revisit when we are in Portland again. Amazing experience!Special Features:
- Great Dinner --Amazing Service!foodielovesItalyDined on 8/28/2014We love a Cena for dinner and for special lunch while hitting the antique stores in Sellwood. Call ahead and make sure they are open though. The menu is very authentic Italian - not your Olive Garden that is for sure!! The service is awesome. They take great care of you for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place nearby.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The service by Julia was excellent, she knew the menu and her suggestions were very helpful. The food was simple, but very well prepared and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, authentic ItalianSouthernfoodieDined on 8/23/2014I love this restaurant, but my husband REALLY loves this restaurant. He is Italian and just moved here to Portland from Northern Italy a few years ago. It is always a challenge to find Italian restaurants that meet his approval, and honestly we usually just cook at home when we want it. But we have been to A Cena a few times now, and my husband has been very impressed. They have wonderful housemade foccacia, and the Lobster Agnolotti is his favorite thing. The service is also very welcoming, generous, and prompt.Special Features:
- I found A Cena on line throughOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Yelp so I wasn't really too sure what was going to await us when we arrived. We were both very impressed with all aspects of this restaurant and wouldn't have a problem recommending it to friends and family.Special Features:
- Best Italian in PortlandWineanddineyaDined on 8/22/2014This place definitely takes pride in their quality of food and service. Wine list is not extensive, but all very good. Food is great value (dinner for two with appetizers and 2 glasses of wine each plus dessert for $110) Best thing about this place...portions are incredible. I couldnt believe the amount of Duck I had on my plate, and it was cooked to perfection. Presentaion was awesome. We left completely satisfied and yes, I've eaten many times in Italy. Been to several other Fine Italian cuisine restaurants, and none adds up to what A Cena provides. Only negative...it can be loud in there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolute favorite restaurant!JulieDined on 8/22/2014a Cena consistently pleases. The food is exceptionally delicious and the staff is warm, welcoming and professional. It is my very favorite restaurant in Portland and I'm so lucky to be within walking distance! It's happily becoming a Friday night occasion.Special Features:
- Great find in a cool neighborhood.jbirdDined on 8/15/2014Yummy food in all categories!! Fun outside seating. Owner and staff were fantastic! Great wine. Short cab ride back to downtown! You will love, nice, relaxing fun evenjngSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceJJWBDined on 8/14/2014The house Chianti is as good a anything on the wine list. The agnolotti is to die for. This was our second visit and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we re-discovered a Cena!revalaniDined on 8/13/2014We went here a few times in the year or two after it first opened, liked it, but for some reason -- even tho it's close to home -- never got in the habit. Despite the fact that we go past it several times a week, it just fell off our radar. We didn't feel like cooking the other night and, I don't know why, a Cena came to mind. We went and had a very positive experience. The service was friendly and highly competent, the wine advice was sound, and the food -- especially my lobster and corn agnolotti, omg -- was awesome. For some reason a Cena doesn't attract critical attention like every new place up on Division. It's a bit pricey, definitely a special occasion place for us, but it's on our radar now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Always love the food here, but Grilled peaches were out of this world. Scallops and lamb were great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This is a great neighborhood restaurant with excellent food, friendly service and a good wine list. We really like it a lot. The only downside is the tables are close together so when it's full, it's noisy. This doesn't prevent us from going there however.Special Features:
- A Cena - AmazingMimiKDined on 8/9/2014I am lucky to have this authentic slow food dazzler in my neighborhood. A Cena is a perfect European small restaurant made for conversation over marvelous fresh, locally sourced dishes prepared in the Northern Italian tradition. The Slow Food movement originated in Italy, and A Cena is exactly what the movement is all about: taking the time to delight in the food. Their serving portions are the perfect amount of generous. Every time I have taken friends, they have been amazed at this local gem. I always go in the autumn for my birthday, when I splurge on their amazing duck and the speechlessly divine "Budino," which translates as "butterscotch pudding" but that's like calling risotto "rice." What you want dinner with friends to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but not a go to if hot!BcuzimhappyDined on 8/9/2014The food is always amazing! But they didn't have a/c and I was sweating! The thermostat said 81 degrees. Also, we ordered another appetizer and they forgot to bring it. :( a cena is still one of my favorite restaurants in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodKenAidianDined on 8/6/2014After visiting Italy last year, it was nice to find a place which embodied the culture of serving fresh, authentic and great-tasting food without spending a fortune. We had the lamb cavelletti (sp?), margherita pizza, and afogato - all excellent. Even the bread sticks and focaccia were great. Would definitely go back, if only I lived here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was fantasticCdubDined on 8/6/2014The staff worked as a team and our service could not have been more attentive. Food was delivered quickly and was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little piece of Italyout4tastyDined on 8/5/2014A Cena is a wonderful all around experience. With unique and tasty options for each course it can be hard to pick. Luckily the offer half portions of their pastas so you can try multiple or so you have space left over for one of their entrees. The corn and lobster pasta is our favorite. The nutella cake with hazelnuts and gelato was also amazing alongside their homemade lemoncello! All of this with great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard ItalianCalgaryFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Good quality food, generous portions, but in a hot corner where it was too dark to read the menu and with service that was somewhat indifferent. The owner (my guess) came by at one point and he was extremely friendly and helpful, but our server seemed bored or tired or something.
- Love2eatDined on 8/5/2014All of the wait staff was very friendly and attentive. Portions were just right, and we were able to share several dishes. I always order bolognese and it was as good as any I've had. The duck breast was superb served with grilled peaches over a warm spinach salad. Priced for special occasion but will definitely go again and have been recommending it to others.Special Features:
- Service was excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014A Cena is a great restaurant for wonderful Italian food. We had the lamb chops and they were excellent and paired well with the wine recommendation from the waiter. Service was excellent and friendly. Will definitely return for another dinner out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/27/2014We eat at A Cena about once a month. The owner is almost always there I have noticed. He greets you and checks on everything constantly. The wait staff is always very friendly and knowledgeable. The lobster agnolotti is my favorite though recently had the lasagna which was great, and the lamb pasta is fantastic. Wonderful place.Special Features:
- Best Italian Aside from ItalyLynnetteeDined on 7/25/2014Every single time I'm in Portland, I make it a point to either stop here for dinner or lunch. It's one of my favorite restaurants in the Portland area and my favorite Italian restaurant of all time. Seriously. They even have traditional Pizzelles on the dessert menu! I referred some friends a while back and they actually will drive from Bend, Oregon just for dinner. That says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood DelightphramazoidDined on 7/24/2014We've dined at a Cena before and it's always wonderful. From the food to the waitstaff to the overall friendly atmosphere it's a wonderful experience to be repeated often. We love it and will surely be there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great eveningFoodman4funVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have a house in Portland and try to go to an new restaurant every time, not a problem in Portland. This time I made a mistake and we went back to A Cena. Well it turned out to be a great mistake as we remembered how much we loved the location, staff, and food.Special Features:
- Worth the visit!DiscerningDinerDined on 7/15/2014The food was fabulous, tons of flavor but light not heavy. Friendly, attentive service without dominating. We will return with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and comfortableggmagourmetDined on 7/13/2014We had an antipasto first and then each of the four of us chose from the menu. Our waiter, Doug, suggested that we share. It was a good idea.The agnolotti was superb. My favorite. The only disappointment was the duck which was a bit too rare and cut too thck, making it hard to cut and chew. Service was very attentive. a Cena has a cozy and welcoming feeling. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotmlh52Dined on 7/10/2014Everything about this experience was easy and enjoyable. Made reservations online. Called when it looked like traffic was going to hold us up and was assured that wouldn't be a problem. Service was attentive but easy-going. Food was delicious. Location was very convenient to a concert we were attending at Reed College later that evening. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner10nisfanDined on 7/10/2014I hadn't been to a Cena in several years mainly because the location is somewhat out of the way for me. The dinner was excellent and the food was better than I remembered. We had a wonderful grilled vegetable appetizer and I had an excellent scallop risotto for my entree. The service was very attentive although the restaurant was not very crowded on a Thursday night. I would definitely like to return and try some of the other menu options.Special Features:
- AuthenticToritDined on 7/9/2014The food was incredible, and it rivaled some of the best food my husband and I had in Italy just weeks earlier. I believe that's in part because A Cena is a true trattoria. We had a wonderful time celebrating a birthday due to the delicious plates, great service, and lively setting. The lobster pasta and lamb gnocci are both to die for. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood jointlhwitzDined on 7/9/2014A Cena is a fabulous Italian restaurant with great food and great service Fun for couples on a first or fiftieth date. Great also for folks with kidsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Bass was not that great, sadly.LovesItalianDined on 6/30/2014When aCena has a fresh fish special, I always go for it. I have never been disappointed. However my last trip was not up to their high standards. I ordered a Sea Bass and our waitress "de-boned" it table side. I'm so used to filets that I thought there would be few remaining bones. Wrong assumption. While the Sea Bass was cooked perfectly, the plate presentation lacked the normal goodies such as garlic mashed potatoes or grilled asparagus. Just a few onions came with the $28 meal. Luckily, my Teramasu dessert was awesome as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinner!winendine82VIPDined on 6/28/2014Had a wonderful dinner from start to finish. Large menu with something delicious for everyone. Wait staff was very friendly and attentive. Will definitely be back and highly recommend!Special Features:
- most I ever paid for SpaghettiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014Nice experience, but $24 spagetti and meatballs is a bit over priced.Special Features:
- A real find!RobertDined on 6/28/2014This was our first visit and we loved it. Great food and an interesting menu, friendly attentive service and a lively atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:
- Always a !!EnjoyableVIPDined on 6/28/2014A Cena never disappoints. The Mediterranean style Branzino was exceptional, except for the bones. The charred Romano salad is wonderful. Unfortunately, on Saturday night, they were very busy and the guys had the pizza which was not as tasty as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly High QualitykenmarrDined on 6/28/2014After several trips to aCena, I can tell you the food is consistantly high quality, served in a great casual, but elegant atmosphere. Great for a romantic dinner or a small celebration. The menu is creative and adventurous, but you don't need a secret decoder ring to figure out what it means. The staff has always been attentive and friendly without being over-bearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Top NotcheatpdxfoodVIPDined on 6/24/2014a Cena is always a great dining experience for us whether it is a date night, a family meal, or a dinner with friends. The staff is well informed, friendly, and attentive and the food is excellent. My favorite is the veal chop but really, whatever they have decided to put on the menu is going to be full of flavor. We had a friend visiting from Geneva who is a vegetarian and they made special efforts to give her additional tasty options even though they already had some great vegetarian options on the menu. She said it was one of the best meals she has had. Thanks a Cena!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for FoodiesSydneyVIPDined on 6/24/2014This is a neighborhood favorite - great for lunch and dinner. The food is innovative, beautifully presented, and consistently delicious.Special Features:
- Pasta ParadisePastaheavenDined on 6/23/2014Living in CT between NY and Boston we know good Italian food. This is exceptional foodSpecial Features:
- Great Italian restaurantMikeDined on 6/21/2014We eat here every time we go to Portland. They're passionate about food.Special Features: