89 Fish and Grill
89 Nationwide Blvd.
Columbus, OH 43215Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
89 Fish and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.89fish.com/
- Phone: 6145864585x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm & Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
*Available for private daytime functions.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Beck
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer group dining menus! Please call or see our website for details.
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday night from 6pm- 8pm.
- Special Events: Come enjoy live acoustic music every Friday from 6- 8 PM.
- Cross Street: Nationwide Blvd. / High St.
- Public Transit: There is a taxi station across the street from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking is available, and we offer complimentary valet parking Monday-Saturday for dinner. NOTE: Nationwide Boulevard is currently undergoing a streetscaping project. During this time, 89 is OPEN! We are fully accessible to patrons by street and by foot, and we will still be offering our complimentary valet services!
A word from 89 Fish and Grill
89 is a high-end seafood restaurant located in a historic renovated warehouse space. Chef John Beck creates innovative seasonal menus incorporating the best sustainable seafood and Ohio meats with locally grown produce. Located in the Fulton Law Building at 89 E. Nationwide Blvd., and across the street from the Columbus Convention Center, 89 offers a casually elegant atmosphere and an expansive, beautiful patio. Join us for Oyster Hour for $1.50 fresh-shucked oysters during happy hour daily. The restaurant offers semi-private dining for dinner. The full restaurant is available during daytime hours for private events; please call the restaurant for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
89 Fish and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)fit for foodies (56)romantic (48)good for groups (43)great for outdoor dining (41)notable wine list (24)neighborhood gem (21)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (11)late-night find (7)great for lunch (7)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)Show More
- dinesalotDined on 8/30/2014Ate at this restaurant on a Saturday evening----hoping to sit outdoors, however, weather did not permit. There is so much construction on the main street, that it would not have been enjoyable anyway. The food was very good, and our waiter, John, excellent and personable. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Our server (14) Whitney made our entire experience that much better. She did a great job in explaining every think about all the food choices from startes to main course and wine selection on the menu. It was clear she personally tried every food item on the menu and she knows her wine! She was polite and paid attention to our every need. Whitney gets 10 stars but we can only give her 5 stars.Special Features:
- Delicious, Local FareZoweeDined on 8/24/2014We came during "Farm to Plate" week, where 89 offered a 3-course meal for $35. Their regular entrees are also around $20-35 and offer local ingredients, free-range chicken, and sustainable seafood. Great for special occasions, dates, small group gatherings. Casual yet elegant atmosphere. FOOD: Seafood is very worthwhile and extremely fresh. Favorite Appetizer: Angry mussels (if you like spicy foods) was amazing. Favorite Entree: Pan Seared Arctic Char. SERVICE: Very friendly, professional, from the host to the valet attendants.Special Features:
- First timerLOVELYDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I have been trying to find some new restaurants in town, that offer great food and service, and don't kill your pocket book. We rate out first experience a 9 out of 10, due to the fact that we sat our self at a pub table and it took a while before anyone acknowledge us, and quite a few employees walked right by us. I am a firm believer of team work where everyone works together. Still we will be back my wife loved the spinach salad. Great job Collen. Norman R WaleszczakSpecial Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Reserved for a Wed eve. Attraction was fish, and locally grown effort. The main restaurant was pretty empty but the patio was less so. The watermelon salad was forgettable and small. The salmon oscar was excellent. It has been some time that I have had salmon so nicely done. Service was as it should be: cordial, efficient. The watermelon and strawberry cocktail was a good size, as was the malbec pours.Special Features:
- Worth the troubleKirkDined on 8/16/2014Nationwide Boulevard is a construction mess, but it's easy to find the opening for 89's valet. Only complaint is that the courses came out a little quickly, so that we weren't quite done with one before the next was presented. Could be because the kitchen wasn't as busy as it might have been; the construction did seem to be hurting the crowd. Seafood chowder was excellent, as was the bread service. Crab dip appetizer was very good and very hot, with plenty of crab. Our entrees were exceptional -- the swordfish dinner and crab-encrusted tilapia. Chocolate torte dessert was delicious, and not excessive.The guitarist-singer was good and not distracting; live music doesn't always work at dinner, but this did. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at 89 Fish and Grill recently. We dined on the patio with friends and had a very enjoyable evening. The server was appropriately attentive and the food was delicious! We are going back next weekend!Special Features:
- Excellent Sea BassHeyNineteenDined on 8/13/2014Our Wednesday, 6:30pm reservations started off with the hostess seating us at a table (when booths were available). She was visibly (and audibly) perturbed that we asked for one of the booths. The rest of the service was just fine. For appetizer, we had the hot crab dip. It was good, nothing spectacular, but a nice start. My wife had scallops. I had the Sea Bass. My wife enjoyed her dinner very much. I tasted it and it was good. I can't say it compared to the Sea Bass, because it was most excellent. The broth (while some may find a tad salty) and vegetables complemented the fish nicely. I would go back for the Sea Bass. Dessert was a chocolate truffle cake. Again, it was good, but not out-of-this-world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before The Showmbar321Dined on 8/13/2014Went to 89 Grill before a concert and it wuss perfect. If you have an event to attend downtown you need to check out the 89.Special Features:
- Quiet and uninterupptedDaveDinesDined on 8/10/2014It was not noisy, perfect for a quiet dinner. You can have table conversation without talking too loud. The waiter came at just the right times and did not interrupt conversation. The food was fantastic. This restaurant is not to be the "the hotspot", just a place to enjoy table company and food. Th salmon is great, calamari, unusual but good and wayhou burger, mouthwatering.Special Features:
- Very goodBen5104VIPDined on 8/10/2014Great server. Food well presented wine list is fairly priced.meal on the patio was pleasant. Menu on the higher side compared to othersI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Customer ServiceFoodHunterDined on 8/10/2014Excellent customer service, I was in a wheelchair in the all of the accommodations were very well so accommodating for me and my guess. I greatly enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!wvilleDined on 8/9/2014The food here is great, and the cocktails are unique and vary good! If the weather is good, the patio seating is a big plus.Special Features:
- Lobster disapointmentLuv2dineDined on 8/9/2014The 6oz steak was excellent. The lobster served with it was not. 1/2 split and hardly any lobster meat. Less than a lb chic. Would not order this again. Will wait until we travel up to Northeast and get a real lobster.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014We were looking for a nice place to eat downtown that was near the Ohio Theatre. The food was good, and the ambiance inside the restaurant was nice. We didn't eat outside, but it looked nice out there. We would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on a Wednesday NightsjdcDined on 8/6/2014We had an early reservation, so there were not many people and coupled with a Wednesday night. Our server was excellent. I ordered yellow-fin tuna with a herb butter sauce which was accompanied with mashed potatoes and perfectly cooked vegetables. I requested medium-rare tuna which was over cooked. I told the waiter and he immediately offered to replace it and someone from the kitchen came out to apologize. Since my husband was enjoying his parmesan crusted flounder which had a purple mustard sauce, I declined the offer to avoid a delay in our meal. The sauce on the tuna was delicious and I would order it again. We were given a card for complimentary appetizers for our next visit. It was our first visit and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blondiegirlDined on 8/5/2014Really enjoyed my meal at 89 Fish & Grill and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!Botl23Dined on 8/3/2014My girlfriend and I had dinner there last Sunday for the first time. We go out all over the city, and this ranks up there with some of our favorite places to go out! Excellent service! Everyone there was very friendly, and genuinely cared about giving us a great experience. The food was great! Both of us really enjoyed what we ordered. The prices are not all too high by any means. With the average meal around 20-30 dollars, our experience was worth every penny. They have a humidor stocked with cigars, and a beautiful patio, however, they don't allow you to have a cigar on the patio with your meal. Only complaint. Other than that, nothing but positive! If you are looking for somewhere new, give this place a shot! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood!ChiFoodieDined on 8/2/2014I like to think of myself as a foodie. Being from Chicago, I grew up dining at all kinds of new and unique restaurants. In stating this, it takes a lot for me to think a place has great food. The ambiance, bar, and service, were just ok for an upscale restaurant. On the other hand, the food was great and the price was reasonable! My date had a pineapple infused vodka that was very good. We had "angry muscles" in a jalapeño and chorizo white wine sauce as an appetizer. Great flavor! She had the crab crusted tilapia with asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes. The meal was cooked to perfection and tasted the same! I have the sea bass soaked in a sake broth with shrimp dumplings. The flavor of the broth and taste of the sea bass was amazing!Special Features:
- Great seafood at an excellent priceBuckeyeboyDined on 8/2/2014Went for a birthday celebration and had a wonderful time. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Damn tastyKCalVIPDined on 7/31/2014We were visiting family and decided to have a nice end of trip dinner, so based on reviews and a craving for seafood we decided on 89 Fish and Grill. The sea bass marinated in sake was one of the most flavorful fish dishes I have ever eaten. The parmesan crusted flounder was also quite tasty. Our party was large enough that we were able to each get a different dessert and all of them were very well done. We highly recommend 89 Fish and Grill.Special Features:
- Great selection!kateDined on 7/29/2014The seafood selection was surprising - our food was very good with appropriate portion sizes. Columbus Monthly had a postcard for $20 off two meals or we would never have known about the 89.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobColumbusBobColumbusDined on 7/28/2014We went to 89 Fish and Grill for our Anniversary, the staff were exceptional went out of their way to congratulate us on our special day. Server was great, very attentive and checked back often to make sure everything was good. Manager even came by our table a couple times. The food was wonderful - you have to try there Seafood Chowder. Would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Casual, Foodie palceSteelflyDined on 7/26/2014Five of us enjoyed dinners of scallops, salmon and blue cheese crusted filet. The food was excellent, service very comfortable. A good place for a casual dinner or meeting friends.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We dined at 89 Fish and Grill during restaurant week, and chose the restaurant based off of the variety on the menu. The salmon was outstanding, however the filet left me a little underwhelmed when it came to flavor. I came in with high expectations due to the reviews and price point, and left not all that impressed with our experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The food was great, the waitress said my meat was overcooked so had them redo it before she even brought it out to me. She felt bad that the rest of my table had their food 5 mins before I did so gave me a complimentary glass of wine.Special Features:
- delicious seafoodcmhdDined on 7/26/2014Thought we would try it out for Restaurant Week, and we are glad we did. The food from appetizer/salad to entrée to dessert was outstanding. There was something for everyone in our party. The salmon Oscar style with lump crabmeat was delicious, and the mashed potatoes perfect--just the right amount of garlic. Everyone loved the lemon vanilla bean crème brulee. It was a busy weekend night, but we were seated promptly (had reservations) and the service was excellent. Complimentary valet parking was a definite plus and would recommend--no problems despite construction all along the Nationwide Blvd. We will eat here again.Special Features:
- DeliciousMsErickaDined on 7/26/2014The salmon was amazing! I enjoy my plate every time I visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best seafoodawesomenessDined on 7/25/2014This place was sooo awesome. Iam really into seafood and this was the best salmon ive ever eaten. Complements to the chef. The service was GREAT . THANKS for the wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekChipsterDined on 7/25/2014Ordered from the restaurant week menu. First course: stone fruit salad was terrific. Second course: salmon oscar- salmon was great but the crab was not perfectly clean and the asparagus was WAY over. Creme brûlée was not chilled completely through and a little soupy with the vanilla bean specks all on the bottom. So uneven would summarize the meal. Service was excellent throughout. Fine for a nice meal downtown, but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekCaseyDined on 7/23/2014We dined here for Restaurant Week on the 23rd. I didn't realize there was construction going on in that area, so parking was a nightmare and valet was nowhere to be seen when we pulled up. After finally finding parking in a garage, and maneuvering the traffic and construction dividers, we commented to each other "Well, dinner better be awesome." It wasn't. It wasn't necessarily bad, just mediocre. The service wasn't great either. Our server was a nice guy, just maybe not the most attentive. We waited an inordinate amount of time for our food... It kind of felt like we weren't considered a priority because we were there for restaurant week. The food was just ok, and definitely not worth the price. I doubt we'll be back.
- Disappointinglive2eatDined on 7/23/2014We had been to 89 Fish and Grill in the past and had a great experience. We had chosen to take our daughter and her boyfriend out to eat to celebrate her 18th birthday. Our appetizer took 25 minutes to appear. The waitress told us the first one was burnt and the second one did not look much better. There were long delays between courses. It took us 2.5 hours to complete our meal. We opted not to have dessert there and went somewhere else instead to celebrate. They placed the wrong order for my husbands meal so the rest of us ate our meals while he sat and watched us. There was one valet. It took us another 20 minutes before we could get our car. Overall, a very disappointing evening for a very important birthday.
- Restaurant Week DelightHappyGuestDined on 7/22/2014I came in with a friend for dinner; it was a busy night, and we wanted a booth, so we waited at the bar for one to open up. Service was prompt at the bar, and the hostess made sure to seat us as soon as the table was ready. We were given both the regular menu and the special menu for restaurant week, and we chose to each order from the special menu. Three courses for $35 -- it was incredible! My steak was cooked to perfection, and her salmon was rich and flavorful. Our server, Scott, checked in on us frequently, and made sure that we had everything we needed for a great evening out. When dinner was over, we enjoyed wine and desserts out on the patio. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- 2nd time2ndtimeDined on 7/20/2014This is the 2nd time I've been to 89. It needs to become a regular place when eating downtown. Really enjoy the experience. Need to try the patio.Special Features:
- LinzDined on 7/19/2014Menu has a lot of variety. All entrees were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be eating here again!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014My husband and I ate at 89 fish and grill for our anniversary. They placed a rose at our tabls and our server made sure it was an anniversary dinner to remember! Our dinner was hands down the best seafood I have had since visiting the islands. Our server was Dustan, he was great! So attentive and polite. He knew that menu inside and out. We both ordered what he suggested as what he enjoys eating and wow were we impressed. I asked him about a wine choice, explained what kinds of wine we liked and he knew exactly which one we would love! He was right is was delicious! Overall i highly recommend 89 and highly recommend requestinf dustan as your server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic date nightANB82Dined on 7/18/2014From start to finish our meal & drinks were fantastic. The Angry Mussels were a great appetizer & we both enjoyed our Simply Grilled fish selections, as well as the chocolate tart for dessert. Our reservation was for 7pm & it was pretty quiet. However, it started to get a little loud around 8:00 when the tables began to fill up. Overall, we would recommend 89 Fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish!MinimenmomVIPDined on 7/18/2014We LOVE this place, and keep going back! Skuna Bay Salmon is awesome and Gluten Free! Good wine and lots of choices for those who need Gluten Free food.Special Features:
- Awesome sea bassBkdoubleDined on 7/14/2014We've been here before but to see best delighted me. They had excellent wine choices to go with it. Was a bit loud for conversation but the food was awesome!Special Features:
- Great food & atmosphere, but slooowWDarlingDined on 7/12/2014Great food and ambiance - there's a good selection on the menu, and it's very cozy and comfortable. However, be ready to settle in and make yourself at home, because you're going to be there a while. Our host and waitress were both very nice and apologetic about our wait (despite reservations, we had to wait about 15 minutes for our table of 6). From the time we were seated, dinner (plus appetizers and a salad) took about 2 1/2 hours. The most painful of those hours was the one in between ordering and receiving our entrees. Again, our waitress was very apologetic. The Arctic Char was excellent; others had filet, crab cakes, chicken - all seemed to enjoy their meals. In summary - a great place, but don't go starving or in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.