89 Fish and Grill
89 Nationwide Blvd.
Columbus, OH 43215Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
89 Fish and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.89fish.com/
- Phone: (614) 586-4585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm & Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
*Available for private daytime functions.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Beck
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer group dining menus! Please call or see our website for details.
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday night from 6pm- 8pm.
- Special Events: Come enjoy live acoustic music every Friday from 6- 8 PM.
- Cross Street: Nationwide Blvd. / High St.
- Public Transit: There is a taxi station across the street from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking is available, and we offer complimentary valet parking Monday-Saturday for dinner. NOTE: Nationwide Boulevard is currently undergoing a streetscaping project. During this time, 89 is OPEN! We are fully accessible to patrons by street and by foot, and we will still be offering our complimentary valet services!
A word from 89 Fish and Grill
89 is a high-end seafood restaurant located in a historic renovated warehouse space. Chef John Beck creates innovative seasonal menus incorporating the best sustainable seafood and Ohio meats with locally grown produce. Located in the Fulton Law Building at 89 E. Nationwide Blvd., and across the street from the Columbus Convention Center, 89 offers a casually elegant atmosphere and an expansive, beautiful patio. Join us for Oyster Hour for $1.50 fresh-shucked oysters during happy hour daily. The restaurant offers semi-private dining for dinner. The full restaurant is available during daytime hours for private events; please call the restaurant for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
89 Fish and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (66)romantic (48)good for groups (44)neighborhood gem (34)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (16)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great findDarylDined on 11/22/2014Food was wonderful and portions just the right size. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner and delicous fish entrees!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014Enjoyed the pear salad - very delicious dressing. Also our party had the Artic Char and Sea Scallops. Both were perfectly cooked and seasoned! Our server, Dustin, had excellent recommendations and listened to what we needed to make sure he could make the best recommendation. He recommended the lemon cheesecake - it was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 89 Fish & Grill is Awesome!Hardfacts4uDined on 11/20/2014My wife and needed to get out on a date, talk, enjoy choice food and each other for a night. We have a dinners card and had not yet been to 89 Fish & Grill. The moment we walked in we really enjoyed the atmosphere. The greeters, waitress, and manager we extremely welcoming and friendly with out being overbearing. The light music,the brick, dark wood, and plentiful windows wrapped up in modern architecture was very pleasant atmosphere and scenery. It had a welcoming and homey feeling about it and was not overly packed for an upscale restaurant either. Our waitress was spot on as she described the menu, interacted with us, took our order, meet our needs, and served us without being bothersome. The staff seemed like their ambition is to serve and be personable creating a really enjoyable atmosphere and food experience. Our drinks were never empty, even right before we were leaving, and we never had to mention we needed a refill, or anything else for that matter. Our food was awesome! We ordered the angry Muscles, seared Scallops, & the Crab crusted Tilapia. The food was excellent, satisfying our quest to find upscale seafood and our craving for unique, artful dishes that are cooked right! I could go on and on regarding the mastery of the chief's food from the taste to the presentation. It was great. One of the best spots in Columbus my wife and I have experienced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value.NewmexdexDined on 11/18/2014Very nice food in a comfortable setting. Service was fine. Menu choices were varied and interesting. Food was very good. Nice seafood quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choices and varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/15/2014Other than the bar not having some basic alcohols, it had a large variety of food options. Sea bass was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine seafood downtownTimefordinnerDined on 11/14/2014Four of us went to this restaurant after a basketball game last Friday. I picked this restaurant because of the easy to find location and by recommendations. Since there were not many tables of eaters I think our service could have been a bit more attentive, but it was okay. We ordered oysters for appetizers which were excellent and our friends enjoyed their mussels. Our entrees were very good but nothing spectacular. The prices we're comparable to other similar establishments, although I felt the wine prices seemed a bit high. We would definately dine there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!FanofgreatfoodDined on 11/9/2014We have had dinner at 89 Fish and Grill on several occasions with family members and friends. On each occasion, everyone has raved about how much they enjoyed their dinner. We'll return soon.Special Features:
- 25th anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014We selected this restaurant from many good/great ones in Columbus because we love oysters. But, she loved the Manhattan most of all! Enjoyed the bar scene, valet service, and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, and Craft BeerRoleModel83VIPDined on 11/2/2014Craft beer selection was a highlight, with the majority of the offerings hailing from local breweries. The dinner menu was extensive and very detailed...a big plus. We both ordered off the seasonal selections section and were very impressed. Our server was outstanding. She possessed an incredible knowledge of everything on the menu including drinks. She was very attentive and friendly as well.Special Features:
- Thanks!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I had a great time celebrating my birthday at 89 Fish & Grill...server (I believe her name is Tia) was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiancehos1957Dined on 11/1/2014Could have had lower lights. We were there at 7:45 pm, and for that time lower lights might have suggested a overall quieter conversation noise level. We sat in a booth, but didn't feel as separated from the group tables as I would have liked. Again lower level lights would have helped make it more romantic. Valet parking was a bit confusing as to where to stop the car. Your valet has to be a bit too far from the pick up area to greet guests. Some very clear signage might eliminate the initial arrival confusion and wait.Special Features:
- I love seafoodLOVELYDined on 11/1/2014Great place, super happy hour. My hat goes off to the staff. Thank you for think of us who work 2nd shift and can not make happy hour during the week. I wll recommend you to all my friends. NormSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitKJColumbusDined on 10/31/2014Our second visit back to 89 Fish and Grill did not disappoint. The food was phenomenal. Some of the best seafood in Columbus. The staff friendly and patient - we were slow to order. We even had a nice time chatting with one of the valet while waiting for our car.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatcpdwife1971Dined on 10/29/2014I went here with just my daughter & myself to celebrate her 17th b-day. I had called ahead to let them know it was her birthday and was told they would have a table ready w/ flowers & free dessert. No table was ready and no flowers. The food just wasn't very good. Hot crab dip was just so-so, and they only give a few pieces of thin toast to scoop it with, so we had 1/2 the dip left and no toast. I had the sea scallops - again, just so-so. The truffle risotto was plain and too mushy. My daughter had Pork, Pork, Pork. It just tasted weird. The smokey flavor tasted like liquid smoke and just weird. I had to tell our waiter it was my daughter's birthday (right in front of her) to get dessert. Just overall not a very good experience.Special Features:
- HockeyFan5Dined on 10/26/2014First time to 89 Fish and Grill. Valet service was excellent. We had an early (4:30pm) reservation before a show so the restaurant was quiet. Liked the overall decor and the different seating options. Menu is heavily weighted to seafood options, as would be expected. Our food quality and presentation (tilapia, filet) was very good. Service was outstanding. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and plan to re-visit to try other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep looking!Buckeyerover55Dined on 10/25/2014We started at the bar as we had 6:00 reservations, and arrived early. Ordered drinks and an appetizer-hot crab dip-served with sourdough crisps. Bar maid seemed to care less if we were there or not. Once seated, we ordered and split the pear salad. Saved by the hazelnut vinaigrette. I noticed others with salad or soup had bread, so we requested it-totally tasteless served with a sweet butter spread. My scallops peppered with salty paprika-sad, and the salmon, ordinary. We chose the "featured' dinners, but I noticed you could order the same under the "Simply Grilled" their choice of sides. Reminded me of a Red Lobster approach. Guess they get a lot of traffic from hotels across the street, but if you are in town visiting, look further.
- Second time - more to come !BarbRayDined on 10/24/2014This was our second visit within two months. We ordered the Calamari appetizer & clam chowder. The Calamari was nice. The chowder was OK, with large potato chunks overpowering the clam bits. Our entrees were perfectly prepared. I tried the Coffee Rubbed Hanger Steak, my wife ordered the Sake Marinated Sea Bass house special (again). The Hanger Steak had a heavy char on the outside. The charred effect was fine for me, but unexpected. Tasty, but only if you like this style. Sake Sea Bass amazed both of us for the 2nd time. Absolutely the best fish dish either of us has ever tried! The seasoning perfectly compliments the flakey fish. Can't describe the taste other than a slightly sweet, light wine accent. Awesome. Trust me.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeFoodiefunDined on 10/24/2014I took my boyfriend here as a surprise for his birthday. When we arrived a little early for our reservation they still seated us which was great! We had flowers on the table which was a nice personal touch. We had a wonderful waitress who was very attentive and knew the menu well. We ordered angry mussels and a cup of their chowder as an appetizer and both was delicious! We had the seared scallops and crab cakes as our main course both were great as well! The only problem I had was I wanted to take my second crab cake home and when they took it back to package it someone threw it away instead. But as compensation I received a ten dollar off coupon for my next meal. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easterbunny46VIPDined on 10/24/2014Loved the happy hour specials. The food was terrific as always. Great dishes at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014While the ambience was very nice, and the service was good, the food was very bland with little taste and was really nothing special. Very disappointed
- Love it!anne522VIPDined on 10/19/2014We found 89 last winter, it's a great spot for groups or couples. The service is always top notch, the bar is great and the food is superb - fish is always nicely done and the vegetables are fresh and delicious. You can't go wrong at 89.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob ComemanBobCVIPDined on 10/19/2014Had a table of four, pre Fleetwood Mac concert. Despite a packed restaurant of concert goers our service was top notch & the food outstanding. Cocktails and wine were superb. We were 90 minutes start to finish but felt no rush whatsoever. Although from NE Ohio we will definitely return to 89 Fish during any future Columbus visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EndiveDined on 10/19/2014A great find for an out of towner. Oysters and pear salid outstanding. Salmon entre fresh and not overcooked. Cheesecake creamy and deliciously rich. Will return if we need to go back to Columbus.Special Features:
- Amazing!TeresaDined on 10/19/2014Food is amazing- cooked to perfection. Service could not be any better. Definately get a reservation in advance! I recommend the scallops. Excellent wine list and wonderful atmosphere. Will return every time we are in town for the delicious food and great service! A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient and goodMsMBDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant is convenient to downtown Columbus hotels. Food was very good - trout and crab crusted tilapia. Cocktails were good, but rather pricey. Noise level is above average and the overall feel is a bit crowded and busy. Would recommend though for food quality and convenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice restaurantforkballDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I were hoping for a nice, romantic restaurant to eat at for our anniversary, and we weren't disappointed. Food was very good, we were seated right at our reservation time, and the food was served timely. The only negative to the experience, and this was minor, was at the bar. We arrived to the restaurant early to sit at the bar and have a glass of wine. Seats were available, and we received a good recommendation. After that, however, it was difficult to get the bartenders attention. In fairness, it was quite busy at the time, but we noticed a trend of all the bartenders failing to make any eye contact, which was just a little frustrating. Again, this was a very small complaint considering the otherwise excellent dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014This was our first time dining at this restaurant. Our food was excellent as was our server. We will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and serviceCKM3LuvsMauiDined on 10/11/2014This is an exceptional seafood restaurant located close to the Arena District. The service was excellent as well. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Columbus restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/10/2014We have eaten at 89 many times and it is one of our favorite restaurants. Consistently great food and great service.Special Features:
- Birthday Outing GreatLucasDined on 10/10/2014Took my wife and family to 89 Fish & Grille and was surprised at the attentive staff and the outstanding food. While not cheap, this place is a little gem worthy of a special evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDining101VIPDined on 10/10/2014Husband and I decided on a whim to try this place out. We were in absolute heaven! Great service from valet to check out. The food was amazing. Words cannot even describe! We had mussels, clam chowder and the swordfish. Must haves! The server was a pro and made outstanding recommendations. Go. Here. Now. Promise you'll love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindCraver52Dined on 10/10/2014We checked with Open Table to find a nice place for dinner and 89 Fish and Grill came up - we tried it and we are glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodMorken04Dined on 10/4/2014Enjoyable experience. Good wine, food, & service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KariDined on 10/4/2014We have been to 89 Fish and Grill twice now. We enjoy it because it is quiet and we don't feel that we are stacked in with other diners, as other "fish" restaurants try to seat as many diners as possible. It was a relaxing evening with delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisaDined on 9/26/2014Appetizers way overpriced for tiny little servings. Food too a very long time to reach out table.
- First Columbus FindMMCPhDDined on 9/20/2014As a new transplant to Columbus, I was interested in finding out about the food scene. Stumbled across 89 Fish & Grill. Its a nice looking restaurant with great service and an atmosphere that can be made to be as casual or as close to formal as you want. They work on "limited" or seasonal menu, which lends the focus to foods that are in season for an optimal experience. I enjoyed cioppino for the first time here and it was great. The "favorite" hot crab dip was good, but nothing spectacular. I was surprised at their few surf & turf options, and their seasonal veggie mix would have been great if it had any seasoning. Get the lemon marscapone cheesecake, its definitely top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Time/Bad LocationSteveVIPDined on 9/20/2014In spite of some bad reviews on-line, we tried it with a coupon. Everything was excellent. Went on a Saturday evening, not crowded. Just out of reach of Nationwide Arena. They have complimentary valet parking to make it easy. More diners should get to know this place. It would be a shame if it closed.Special Features:
- Great service. Great foodMsknowitall007Dined on 9/20/2014Been wanting to try. Friend stayed at the crown plaza next door. Went for the convenience. The place has a chic but modern vibe...a feel good atmosphere. We had apps and a main. I had the shrimp app it was delicate and a table favorite. Had the Arctic char for my main. Would order again and again. Service was friendly. She knew the menu and always seemed to b back just when we realized we needed her. Loved it. A definite re-doSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- motherhenDined on 9/20/2014My daughter was visiting from Charleston, SC & we wanted to take her someplace nice. There were three of us (another daughter as well) & we all enjoyed it very much. My local daughter & I have been there before. We are big seafood lovers.Special Features:
- Love the crabcakes!4mydiningplshrDined on 9/16/2014My first time at this restaurant. A friend and I went to celebrate her birthday. Those crab cakes were some of the best I've had here in Columbus. My friend gave the tilapia got high marks as well. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.