4221 - B Connecticut Ave
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.876cafe.com/
- Phone: 2022444717
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
Tuesday:11:00am - 9:00pm
Wednesday:11:00am - 9:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Oji Jaja
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact us for your food orders for parties and special events
- Entertainment: No live entertainment at this time
A word from 876 Cafe
Enjoy the complex yet simplistic fusion of Caribbean cuisine with Washington's premier restaurant 876 Cafe. Located one block from the Van Ness metro station neighboring the Cleveland Park area, 876 Cafe invites you to experience familiar dishes piqued with zesty accents of the islands. 876 Cafe promises to stimulate your pallet and captivate your senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
876 Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
- A very disappointing experience.DCDinerVIPDined on 10/14/2012A very disappointing experience. The only option on Sunday is their brunch but this is not clear on their website. And what a limited brunch! Eggs, bacon, grits, fish, pasta, and fried dumplings and plaintain. Oh and the fruit - just watermelon. My mother makes a more diverse brunch on a regular Sunday. On the plus side, the fish was very good but it was whole fish - which I love - but if you're a filet person (or if you don't like fish) you'd be very limited in your eating options. There was 1 waiter for the entire restaurant and we saw him twice: when he gave us water and when I flagged him down for the check. And the complimentary mango moscato - too sweet! Thank goodness I had a Living Social coupon. The area deserves better!
- Brunch offerings were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2012Brunch offerings were very limited--just a few choices on the buffet. What was offered was very good. Good, flavorful Jamaican spices without being overpowering. Service staff was friendly and helpful. Will probably go again for a dinner just to experience what's on the menu.
- Everything was great! TheirOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2012Everything was great! Their brunch was buffet style with great Caribbean food choices. Their moscato. wooh that mango moscato was so good. The service and people were really nice, patient, and fast.Special Features:
- Very slow service, poor airTiffanyVIPDined on 9/29/2012Very slow service, poor air conditioning and multiple menu items not available. A real disappointment.
- We went for happy hour andauntannieVIPDined on 9/18/2012We went for happy hour and could sit at a table - not just the bar. We liked the shrimp a lot. Quite good. Very convenient to Van Ness Metro so makes for a good after work meeting place.Special Features:
- Add to your list of "MustArcherDined on 8/9/2012Add to your list of "Must check out this spot." Authentic Jamaican cuisine.Special Features:
- service very slow. menu veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/28/2012service very slow. menu very limited. out of 3 fish entrees in the menu, they only had one, a whole fish. I then order pork. they did not have it either. I went on a Saturday evening, at 7pm. This restaurant will not last.
- Welcome Addition to Van NessGeegVIPDined on 7/28/2012The food at 876 is both different and delicious. Our neighborhood (North Cleveland Park/Van Ness) is completely bereft of good dining, so it is a welcome addition. The service was a little off - food came out a bit too slowly, but that's not unusual for new restaurants. I just hope it can do a good business and stick around for a while.Special Features:
- 876 is still emerging. TheyProntomacVIPDined on 7/19/2012876 is still emerging. They get some street traffic and regular customers. Courses take a LONG time to reach the table. Staff is quite nice,and still developing--have a distance to go. The restaurant can be totally missed. It really needs a new concept for the outside main sign. It is a good place and worth your visit.Special Features:
- Food excellent.....but theyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/7/2012Food excellent.....but they were short staffed so waiting for it was very long.Special Features:
- Food was absolutely wonderful,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/6/2012Food was absolutely wonderful, Service very slow as they were short staffed. Also, some items on menus not available.Special Features:
- This new restaurant was lovely-OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2012This new restaurant was lovely- definitely worth a try! The food was delicious and not too heavy.Special Features:
- This is a new restaurant.neighborDined on 6/23/2012This is a new restaurant. I hope it is a success. We need nice places like this to go to in the the Van Ness neighborhood. The service and attention of the waiters has always been great. I need to try more meals before I really rate the food or comment on it. Try it and see what you think.Special Features:
- Really tasty food, but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2012Waited 45 mins for our food at lunch, when it wasn't even packed?! Had the burger. Asked for medium, received well done, still tasted juicy. Spiced with curry, which made it spicy and very tasty, but not overly spicy. Asked for fries, but came out with banana chips instead, but then got the fries for free. Typical signs of a new restaurant, but has potential. Priced on the higher end for what I'm willing to pay for at lunch.Special Features:
- LadyKOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012An immediate positive 1st impression a warm sense of it feels like home. great staff. Food was excellent. Fantastic presentation The chef is great. This was my second visit and my third will be very soon. I referred many people and groups.Special Features:
- a surprise caribbean spotMorrVIPDined on 5/23/2012Attentive service and friendly maitre D' Interesting food. well-prepared. Carribean. Dishes we do not often find elsewhere. No alcohol license as yet. Although it's on Connecticut Ave., it's almost hidden between other shops and a large parking garage sign. I wish it good luck and hope that Sietsema gives it a good review but I have qualms about it being in the wrong neighborhood and hard to notice from the street. I think that parking could also be problem.Special Features:
- This restaurant is apparentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/14/2012This restaurant is apparently new and I hope will do well and mature into a very good and unique restaurant. However, some aspects of the food and service were still rough around the edges. Overall I liked it and would certainly return hoping to see an expanded menu. I would recommend it to others.
- We went there for Mother'sMaryDined on 5/13/2012We went there for Mother's Day at 7 pm and it was not crowded at all. I had the conch chowder that was fantastic! My husband had the pumpkin soup which was just "okay." The Cafe Spring Rolls were not worth ordering. Their only seasoning seemed to be salt. We both had the hanger steak which was quite good and cooked as requested. The accompanying spinach with mushrooms was way too salty and the mashed sweet potatoes were the ususual. I think the next time I would order the red snapper since that seemed to be what nearly everybody else ordered when we were there. The service was fine and the space comfortable. It is nice to have a little variety in the neighborhood but I wish it was just bit more authentic Caribbean.
- Food was authentic caribbean. ExceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/4/2012Food was authentic caribbean. Excellent beverages, for example, ginger and sorrel nice and spicy but not overwhelmingSpecial Features:
- I decided to have my birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2012I decided to have my birthday dinner at Cafe 876. First of all, its' great location afforded all of the members easy, free parking right along Connecticut Avenue. the wait staff was incredibly attentive. The meals were delicious and the portions were on par for the price, which is quite reasonable. My personal favorite is the pumpkin soup appetizer. Most everyone dined on fish, and commented on how delicious the meals were. The sorbet, made in-house, was a refreshing way to end the meal.Special Features:
- It's newOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2012I went on the first day it opened, and "new" is definitely the best word to describe it so far. All of the things you'd expect from a new restaurant made up the problems (the servers didn't really know the drill yet, not all of the menu options were available, they didn't have a liquor license yet). Other than those things (which I presume will all fix themselves with time, everything was great. Everyone was very polite, and the food was delicious. I got the steak and thoroughly enjoyed it.