84 Tavern on Canal
15 Canal Street
Westerly, RI 02891Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
84 Tavern on Canal
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.84tavern.com/
- Phone: 4015967871x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch 9:00 - 2:30
Lunch Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 11:30 - 5
Dinner Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 5:00 - 9:00;
Friday and Saturday 5:00 - 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Champagne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private parties are available for up to 40 people for Brunch, Lunch and Dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Devan McVeigh 4015967871x
A word from 84 Tavern on Canal
84 Tavern on Canal is one of Downtown Westerly’s favorite neighborhood restaurants. The menu consists of locally sourced seasonal ingredients while the bar offers handcrafted cocktails and 24 draft beer selections (highlighting local craft beers). Reinvented from its former location at 84 High Street, the Tavern also offers a semi-private dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
84 Tavern on Canal reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (14)special occasion (12)great for lunch (8)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Always a great experienceLHelms1012Dined on 10/12/2014My husband and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary and when picking a restaurant for our night out we knew exactly where we wanted to go! Great service, great food, great ambiance, classic music always playing. Everything is made fresh and absolutely delicious! We've never had anything that we didn't like. Thanks for a great time!Special Features:
- Excellent Choice!NETravelerDined on 10/11/2014We've had a few meals at 84 Tavern and while the food is always outstanding, we've had some past issues with service taking an exceptionally long time. We decided to try again as my parents were visiting and enjoyed the restaurant. What a change! Our service could not have been more attentive, and the food was wonderful. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- disappointed2foodiesDined on 10/5/2014Had restaurant week specials with 4 friends on Sunday. Very disappointed, all 5 of us. What was described as beef short ribs turned out to be pot roast pieces with 5 carrot slices on top of tasteless polenta. The pork osco bocco was more of a pork stew with hardly any flavor. Not what it used to be I;m afraid. Would be hard pressed to go back and spend that money on such mediocre food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014We greatly enjoyed our first dining experience the other night. The staff was pleasant and accommodating and the meals were delicious. There were 4 of us and we each ordered something different and we really enjoyed our meals. I thought there were enough choices for Restaurant week as well. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2014Decided to give this place another try. Last time we visited they were in their old location, and the food just wasn't up to snuff. Went for Restaurant Week, hoping they'd be putting their best foot forward, but the food was disappointing. Caesar salad smothered with dressing. Creole deviled eggs nothing special. Short ribs were dry shredded beef over large amount of plain noodles - even some butter would have made it more edible. Osso bucco was dry and lacked flavor as well and polenta was so overcooked that my kids thought it was some sort of cornbread when we brought home leftovers. Desserts were passable. Won't be wasting our time here ever again...
- Always goodEdGenDined on 9/20/2014We hadn't been at 84 in a while but it hasn't changed at all, still good food at a good value. I was a little surprised at the number of families for a Saturday evening and a bit disappointed in the shortened wine list, but other than that we love 84 Tavern on Canal!Special Features:
- Enjoyable DinnerluvgoodfoodDined on 8/30/2014Nice atmosphere. Food was delicious. Our server, Rose, was wonderful. Loved the option to order a smaller sized meal.Special Features:
- Disappointed our High hopes31yearshappyDined on 8/29/2014Three of us visited and spent 200.00 on a meal I would never sever to myself or anyone else in my own home. Several dishes were bad. But the worse was The prime rib our son ordered. It could not be chewed. My son tried to chew the meat a full minute and a half and could not chew it. Again because we wanted to be harmonic and congenial The prime rib meal went around the entire table to see if one of us could eat it to no avail. When we told the waitress she went away for a long time and then came back and told us "She" would take three capacinos off the bill. Rather than really ruin the night by explaining proper business etiquette to the obviously uninterested management we decided to leave and never come back.
- Very ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2014Like most small towns Westerly appears to be struggling to find it's place in the modern world. From the exterior 84 Tavern on Canal (Canal Street that is not on the canal which we expected) it appeared to be more a Tavern than a restaurant. We were pleasantly surprised to find a very pleasant facility, with excellent food and service. The baked pancake was second to none. A real keeper.Special Features:
- Good MealMariatiniVIPDined on 8/16/2014Nice experience at 84 this week. We were seated within a few minutes of our reservation time. Baked Stuffed Shrimp entrée was good. Husband's chicken entrée was moist and flavorful, as were the garlic smashed red potatoes and green beans served with it. Our son had a Panko Crusted Chicken Stack and like it very much. The Caesar salad and Baked Mozzarella appetizers were very good, but the Chopped Pasta Salad was the winner of the night! Really tasty! Beer flights are always fun, too! We'll be back.
- BettyBoopDined on 8/15/2014Just went here for the first time. Expected an average pub, but was pleasantly surprised that it was much more. Great ambience, great food, and superb service. Shout out to our waitress, Rose. What a sweet lady who knows how to please the customer...friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and so very accommodating!! Will most definitely look to come here again during my next visit to Westerly.Special Features:
- From CharlestownNana8Dined on 8/15/2014The fried oysters were better than the famous waterside place down rt. 1. Service was good. Friendly. Wine special was tasty Pino Gree Caesar salad was a little too creamy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Great food. Unfortunately the ambiance it had at its original location is gone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comidaguyDined on 8/9/2014The food was good but service was very slow. It was like they were surprised that it was a Saturday night. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!PeteDined on 8/3/2014I ordered the Surf & Turf with cajun scrimp. The shrimp had just the right amount of spice and the steak was tender and juicy. I also ordered a bottle of their house Merlot that was light and smooth. I would order both again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed our dining experience. Excellent drinks and selection of craft brews. Dinner took a lenghty amount of time to arrive. But was delicious. A little drawback in the atmopshere was eating in a booth...felt like eating in a cubicle. Aside from that, it was a enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' night outDruBDined on 8/1/2014It was a wonderful place to dine at! We all enjoyed our time there. The food was PHENOMENAL! I had a bowl of chili- very filling! I also have an intensive list of food allergies and they were able to meet my needs. In fact I was shocked that I could have the chili- I cannot have corn and that dish usually has corn. But not this place! I was in my own private heaven while devouring that bowl. Thanks 84 Tavern!Special Features:
- enjoyedld123Dined on 7/31/2014good (not great) dinner with great service despite our initial hesitation once we saw the establishment - it looks like it was once a Chinese restaurant from the outside but ambience was way better than we thought it would be. loved the ceasar salad and steak with ginger roasted beets. nice menu with something for everyone. would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual vacationKittyDined on 7/30/2014Second annual visit was not at all as good as the first. We waited over an hour for our food after asking several times. Once they realized the screw up apologies were offered but no one offered to comp anything. The food is wonderful, so if you don't mind sitting with nothing but your drink for an hour, go for it.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceKH41Dined on 7/30/2014Food was imaginative well prepared and portions were above average for the price. I had the bacon wrapped dates as a snack appetizer and they were lovely. I then followed up with the mussels which even as an appetizer portion was enough for dinner as it came accompanied with fries for dipping. Highly recommend the parm bacon sauce. My husband had the pasta bolonese and the half portion was huge and flavorful. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableprincipalvicDined on 7/12/2014Always a good meal for a good price. Our party of 4 had a variety of meals and they were all good. Portions are large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American fare family restaurantsborsherDined on 7/11/2014I had the hanger steak tips with mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts. Good meat and potatoes meal. The tips were a bit tougher than I had hoped, the potatoes were very good, and the tiny brussel sprouts were excellent. My wife had the stuffed shrimp and ate all of it; which is rare. We ate there in advance of a show at The Knick. One thing we really liked was that the ceiling had acoustic tile, painted grey with a bamboo like fringe, which kept the noise level way down; good for me as my hearing aides had just broken. So, we recommend it if you are looking for a quiet, hardy meal, in pleasant surroundings.
- The following 263 reviews are from the 84 Tavern on Canal reviews archive.
- LOVE!paiergrad93Dined on 7/1/2014I had family come in from florida and they were able to accommodate 8 of us with no problem. I haven't been here since they moved from High Street and they did not disappoint! It was wonderful! Our waitress (who I remember from the old restaurant) was amazing! I do not have one negative thing to say. It was fantastic!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurant, Great FoodTravelerDined on 6/30/2014Good food, Nice Atmosphere. The Caesar salad and hanger steak tips were excellent. I highly recommend them and the restaurant.Special Features:
- will go backBobMDined on 5/31/2014food, service, everything just excellent. when in Westerly, go to this restaurantSpecial Features:
- not so greatArdeliaDined on 5/25/2014We are always looking for new places in the area and had gone to 84 High and been pleased so we thought this would be good. We waited an hour for our food, there were 4 of us only one was satisfied with his dish. Will try somewhere else next time we are in Westerly.Special Features:
- We will be backBobbyADined on 5/23/2014Fantastic dinner. All four of us had great food. We will return as it was so hard to choose from their superb menu. We went for dinner but they also have a great lunch fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/23/2014We are never disappointed with the food or service. It's our "go to" place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could be better!GreatTasteDined on 5/3/2014Service was a bit strained; waitress looked very stressed. Food was very good. Menu selection offered a wide selection that would suite anyone.Special Features:
- Late dinnerDinerDined on 5/2/2014Found 84 Tavern on OpenTable for late Friday evening dinner while in the area for the weekend. Good food, great service, liked the older "homey" wait staff. Definitely local flavor.
- Great Find!OceanmathDined on 4/26/2014We were very pleased with our whole experience. The food was great, the server was personable and responsive, the ambiance was charming and despite being seated fairly close to the bar, we were not aware of any noise emanating from that area. What a great find! We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food And DrinkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/25/2014This is a great place to being friends and enjoy good food and enjoy some drinks. Our meals were outstanding and everyone had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!BenlDined on 4/12/2014This was by far one of the best dining experiences I have had in a long time. Everything from the appetizers to the entree was amazing. The food here is cooked to perfection! What a gem! I would recommend this to anyone with a sophisticated pallet who enjoys good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun TimeJabbermanDined on 4/5/2014Our group of 5 all loved there meals and our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014Love the food, the service and the seating. Very clean and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodLNfoodloverDined on 3/16/2014We often go to 84 Tavern on Canal. The meals are consistently good. I've had the specials and old favorites from the menu and have never been disappointed. The portions are very generous. I highly recommend the garlic mashed potatoes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great experience.JillpillDined on 3/7/2014We had a great experience. The food was wonderful and the waitress rose was an absolutely delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot to meet friendsChickadeeDined on 3/2/2014Nice spot to meet friends for Sunday brunch. Quiet enough in dining area so we could all hear each other.....a plus. Food was good, and hot, and plentiful Some of us had owlets, other sandwiches. Good selection to please each person. Server was attentive and respectful of our space at the same time. Have been here for dinner which was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time HereMariatiniVIPDined on 2/28/2014We very much enjoyed our eperience at 84. We were seated within a few minutes of our reservation time. The atmosphere is very nice in both the large bar area and the dining room. We both tried the Beer Paddle, which is 5 different 4-oz. beers on tap. That was fun. The bread looked homemade and was tasty. The rib eye steak entree was a bit of a disappointment for my companion. He said it wasn't very seasoned and was nothing special. It was a thinner cut of meat so it was more well done than he'd like. The potatoes and kale that accompanied it were good. I liked my baked stuffed shrimp. They weren't jumbo shrimp, but the stuffing was delicious and they were cooked perfectly. The rice pilaf and green beans were good, also. We will be back!
- one of the Best in Westerly!!!ricklDined on 2/22/2014Both my Wife and I went there to celebrate our 13th anniversary.The food was beyond spectacular. The waitress was super awesome and the atmosphere was perfect. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.