801 Chophouse - St. Louis
131 Carondelet Plaza
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
801 Chophouse - St. Louis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.801restaurantgroup.com/
- Phone: (314) 875-9900
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Christopher Dennis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms ranging can accommodate 6 to 50 guests, with areas of the restaurant available for larger groups.
- Private Party Contact: Ian Rockwell 3148759900
A word from 801 Chophouse - St. Louis
A classic American chophouse interior with signature leather booths, cherry wood furnishings, wooden floors, granite counter tops and high ceilings accented with dramatic lighting. 801 Chophouse at The Crescent offers only the very finest and freshest meats, seafood, and vegetables available. Our Executive Chef Christopher Dennis creates a Fresh Sheet that highlights our unique weekly offerings. Seasonal fresh soups and salads, oysters on the half-shell, five species of fresh fish, live Maine lobsters and king crab legs. Make sure to save room for our made from scratch Grand Marnier Soufflé! Aged USDA Grade Prime Beef ONLY, Iowa Berkshire pork chops and Colorado lamb chops. Customizing parties from 6 to 70, our walls reconfigure for the perfect amount of space, our tables change for seating and conversation, and our custom menus range from cocktails and hors d'oeuvres to full course dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
801 Chophouse - St. Louis - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
801 Chophouse - St. Louis reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (149)notable wine list (100)fit for foodies (87)romantic (84)good for groups (63)vibrant bar scene (47)hot spot (45)neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (19)scenic view (7)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- JASKDined on 11/22/2014Love it!! Service was outstanding & food was great!Special Features:
- Outstanding RestaurantJoyceeDined on 11/22/2014Our whole experience at 801 Chophouse was wonderful from beginning to end. Yes, it is pricey but definitely worth it especially if you are celebrating a special occasion. Our server Mike was extrememly helpful and would recommend him to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimMVIPDined on 11/16/2014We had the $33 per person Sunday night special which was great, quick, and convenient. Server was prompt with all of our courses and our bill which is what we wanted.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great Service.Lizzycakes13Dined on 11/15/2014The side veggies were amazing and inventive. Steaks were fantastic. Our server was a delight, very knowledable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent dinnerStomsmithDined on 11/13/2014Arrived early seated immediately; server was good and attentive; most of the entree food was excellent; one bone-in filet was medium at the bone but over cooked away from the bone; desert was excellent. Our party of give all enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceBirthdayDinner37Dined on 11/12/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and we had a great time! Our waiter was so nice and attentive. He showed us all the cuts of meat and had suggestions on overall menu item sizes and his favorites. The food was fabulous. Drinks were great. Service was exceptional. He even brought us birthday beignets and they were to die for! The rum chata "sauce" was delicious! Will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific FoodGourmet1950Dined on 11/11/2014Chophouse 801 has very good food and service. The only negative in my opinion is the noise level but don't let that keep you away. Best steak in St. Louis and the seafood is also excellent. We always request Quinn to be our waiter and give him a cash tip which he really appreciates. LOVE THIS PLACE!Special Features:
- Great spotJanbDined on 11/9/2014Chop House is beautifully decorated and the atmosphere is elegant yet not stuffy. Food is great. Sunday evenings special dinner pricing is an awesome deal!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!DiningNinjaDined on 11/9/2014We took part in the fixed price Sunday evening dining. Excellent filet, salmon and prime rib; we were aparty of five and tried it all. We were aware that a la cart at 801 can get real expensive real fast. At $33 apiece for our meal, we still enjoyed a great Rhone bottle and their fantastic White Rascal? Draft beer. Our total tab was less than $300 for a party of five with an outstanding dining experience! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- JDMJRVIPDined on 11/7/2014We are regular customers and have found that servers vary significantly here. Some are very good and some can ruin a meal like ours. I felt like I was buying a used car. How long can you describe a tray of meat and how many opportunities can you try to up sell a cover. Completely lost our table. I love this place but it was so bad I may not return. Our entire table looked like they had just run a marathon every time our server engaged.
- foodiestl1971Dined on 11/5/2014Great food! However, the service this time was less than stellar. We were there over two hours and we did not order dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointeddonnaVIPDined on 11/3/2014I was extremly disappointed in our food at 801. We eat at some very nice restaurants, but this one takes the prize for priceyist and at best mediocre food. I ordered the Lamb, my husband the 12oz filet. My lamb was not seasoned even with salt and peper very bland and I actually ate 1/2 of 1 chop and left the rest behind. The wine list, if you can read it, is extensive, so extensive it is exhausting and the print is so small it's close to impossible to read. I asked about a wine but our waiter was not familiar with the wine so I went another route, but you would think with a list like that there would be a sommilier present at all times. If there was he was not offered for help. I would not return, nor recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent SteakhouseER88Dined on 11/3/2014801 Chophouse has generous portions and everything was perfectly cooked. I had difficulty finishing my steak!! If you order an appetizer like I did, order a smaller steak cut. They also offer 1/2 size side dishes which were still enough for 2 people. Our waitress was excellent: she knew her cuts of meats.
- uncomfortable and over pricedanniversaryDined on 10/31/2014I was really expecting something similar to Mortons or Sullivans when I made this reservation. Pro's are wine list and portions. Con's would be speed of service and food was not bad but really not up to snuff as far as I was concerned, meat was overcooked and especially for $$$$. They did offer to replace it but but when both of you have already been served that really doesn't work. But the shrimp cocktail was huge , would reccomend it. Also if you are of any kind of size do not try and sit in their booths. Approximated 14" between back of seat and front of table. If you were raised no elbows on the table, forget it. It seems like a great place for an expensive casual meal but definitely not for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Most Amazing Steak - Great dining!FoodieatheartDined on 10/30/2014I ate at 801 Chophouse while attending a conference. The dining experience was one of the best I have ever had. As a steak affection-ado, I was highly satisfied by the selections of cuts and quality of the steak. I had my first bone-in filet mignon and it was the most delicious steak I have ever eaten. The service was exemplary and the wine list was extensive. While the cost was significant, it was well worth the money spent. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- golfergirlDined on 10/28/2014We went to 801 Chophouse because I had a gift card. I heard that it was pricey, but I had no idea. The entrees we ordered were delicious (veal chop, filet) and those alone combined for $100 of the bill. Our server was very helpful and suggested we order 1/2 of the side items as they were quite large, and we did that. We still had leftovers on the sides even with getting two 1/2 orders. (creamed peas were fantastic...blue cheese potatoes were just OK) Sharing an appetizer (fried calamari - great) and splitting the 801 Wedge salad (outstanding), plus a few martinis...the final bill was $198 without tip. In summary, delicious but very pricey. I would save it for special occasions only, unless you have deep pockets.Special Features:
- DrprDined on 10/26/2014Everything was wonderful and as Sunday opportunities are limited, a very nice option, on e that we will continue to support.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Outstanding food and atmosphere. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014While pricey, 801 was an extremely satisfying experience. The food was perfect, the service was superior.Special Features:
- Pricey but very goodRvr2VIPDined on 10/24/2014Everything we had from the Delmonico to the lobster (which was shelled for us) to the best Oysters Rockefeller we have had was fantastic. Our waiter, Michael, was attentive, helpful and not overbearing. The prices are high but the experience was very good overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Steak HouseZfoodDined on 10/23/2014Classic Steak House with nice bar, great service, and great food/wine. Good for a casual dinner or date as well as for a business dinner or group event. Balanced menu for allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimMVIPDined on 10/19/2014Everything was great except the $20 per glass of wine that was recommended as a house wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent first visit...GregDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time to 801 Chop House. The service was excellent and the most notable part of the evening. Our waiter (Tony) was attentive and courteous, and management (who were very professional) stopped by the table a couple times to ask how things were going and did so in a sincere manner. It was obvious that everyone was well-trained and the restaurant is trying to build a good reputation and be upscale. The food quality was also excellent and the bar is very nice and a great place to hang out. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great Find!tntlibertoDined on 10/18/2014The wine list was amazing along with the food! The service was outstanding. Definitely a place we will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This place did not disappoint. Our waiter, Doug, was outstanding. The food was cooked to perfection. The home style sides were great. Lobster mac is a must. I had the 16oz Ribeye "Tuscan style" and my date had the scallops. It is worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 28th Wedding AnniversaryRPsteakloverDined on 10/12/2014Everything about 801 Chophouse was outstanding; atmosphere, service, food, wine list, menu choices. Especially the Sunday Prix Fixe Menu; great price for an elegant meal with salad, entree, and desert. And, I was able to upgrade to a larger Filet for a reasonable charge. My only complaint would be the Hostess; upon entering she looked at us and asked "can I help you"? She did not smile or speak in a very inviting manner. I have experienced better greetings in much less expensive restaurants. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent, high quality steak house. The food was phenomenal.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodKYBKDined on 10/11/2014The steaks were outstanding. The service was excellent. It was also very helpful that we could order half-orders of salads and sides.Special Features:
- Satisfactory food disappointingArtfulDinerDined on 10/11/2014Nice restaurant, good service, reasonably nice atmosphere, but the steak was underwhelming. I have been to many fine steakhouses along the east coast and this was my first attempt at the Chophouse in St. Louis. Candidly, the food is not worth the price. While the wine was delicious and the service was attentive, the steak was salty and not that flavorful.Special Features:
- Kate614VIPDined on 10/9/2014outstanding food and service. Great for client entertaining or just ordinary night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/7/2014Food is superb; service was exceptional. Chose this restaurant basically because it was close to where we were staying on a business trip. Have to say that 801 has it's act together. The food was great. We opted to atart on the patio for drinks and appetizers (1/2 price happy hour), then moved inside for dinner (restaurant cannot yet serve food on patio - regulations thay are working on). Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're Going There AgainDoNotGetOutMuchDined on 10/3/2014Empty nester couple and native St. Louisans. The occasion was to celebrate a birthday and we certainly enjoyed the experience and the food. For us it's the optimal mix of very high quality and legitimate portions, together with great service. Pleasant club decor without the dark green walls and oak everywhere. Cocktails, bottle of bubbly, appetizer, salads, entrees (Tuscan ribeye and scallops=fantastic); all for right at $200. It was bustling with the Friday after work crowd, but the volume was within "energetic".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Clayton SteakhouseEdwardVIPDined on 10/1/2014Chophouse continues to have great service, outstanding steaks and warm steakhouse atmosphere. On the last visit I enjoyed the bone in strip which was outstanding along with asparagus and Lyonnais potatoes. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Loved 801 ChophouseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Surprise anniversary date for my wife. Staff did a wonderful job of seating us out of the way as requested. Colleen was a very attentive wait person without being obtrusive. The menu was customized with Happy Anniversary and the table was specially decorated. We were given a menu signed by the staff rolled up and tied with a ribbon. The steaks were perfectly cooked. Salads and sides can be ordered in half portions. This is a very nice touch for small parties. The half salad was just the right size and the half size sides were perfect for 2-3 people. The valet service was courteous and prompt. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014801 is by far the best steakhouse in St. Louis. My wife and I were regulars at another, until we tried 801. The steak and prime rib were perfect, and the sides... oh the sides... we are going back next week to try even more. The souffle was comparable to one we enjoyed on our honeymoon in Lyon, France.Special Features:
- Special occasion diningspiegDined on 9/20/2014Food was very good, not inexpensive, beautiful place, our waiter was not up to a fine dining level.Special Features:
- Mort54Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent service and food. Expensive by STL standards but a fun atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but very good!diningoutDined on 9/13/2014Nice ambiance. Good steak house options. Knowledgeable wait staff. I need to keep my salt intake low and they were very accommodating!Special Features:
- Memorable 60th Birthday for NancyNancy60thDined on 9/13/2014Thanks to ALL staff members who assisted in making my sister's 60th birthday so special and memorable, including the personalized menus, chocolate inscribed birthday greetings on our dessert plate, and such courteous service from the waiter (can't recall his name and do not have access to his business card). Our waiter was so helpful and friendly!! Thanks again for a great meal and all the extras. My sister was pleasantly surprised. THANK YOU!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Evening!SteakloverDined on 9/13/2014We were there for our anniversary. I requested through opentable if they can do something special for us. They had Happy Anniversary printed on our menu. Our waited, Derrick, who was beyond unbelievable, even went around the whole restaurant and had every employee singed our menu... A nice special touch. Our dinner was amazing! Steak was cooked to perfection and the sides were awesome. Good thing sides can be ordered in half portions because there were definitely enough for two people. After dinner, they also gave us a free souffle dessert... Amazing! Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.