801 Chophouse - St. Louis
131 Carondelet Plaza
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
801 Chophouse - St. Louis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.801restaurantgroup.com/
- Phone: 3148759900
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Christopher Dennis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms ranging can accommodate 6 to 50 guests, with areas of the restaurant available for larger groups.
- Private Party Contact: Ian Rockwell 3148759900
A word from 801 Chophouse - St. Louis
A classic American chophouse interior with signature leather booths, cherry wood furnishings, wooden floors, granite counter tops and high ceilings accented with dramatic lighting. 801 Chophouse at The Crescent offers only the very finest and freshest meats, seafood, and vegetables available. Our Executive Chef Christopher Dennis creates a Fresh Sheet that highlights our unique weekly offerings. Seasonal fresh soups and salads, oysters on the half-shell, five species of fresh fish, live Maine lobsters and king crab legs. Make sure to save room for our made from scratch Grand Marnier Soufflé! Aged USDA Grade Prime Beef ONLY, Iowa Berkshire pork chops and Colorado lamb chops. Customizing parties from 6 to 70, our walls reconfigure for the perfect amount of space, our tables change for seating and conversation, and our custom menus range from cocktails and hors d'oeuvres to full course dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
801 Chophouse - St. Louis - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
801 Chophouse - St. Louis reviews from OpenTable diners
270 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (212)notable wine list (138)romantic (119)fit for foodies (106)good for groups (59)vibrant bar scene (57)hot spot (49)neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (33)scenic view (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent service and food. Expensive by STL standards but a fun atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but very good!diningoutDined on 9/13/2014Nice ambiance. Good steak house options. Knowledgeable wait staff. I need to keep my salt intake low and they were very accommodating!Special Features:
- Memorable 60th Birthday for NancyNancy60thDined on 9/13/2014Thanks to ALL staff members who assisted in making my sister's 60th birthday so special and memorable, including the personalized menus, chocolate inscribed birthday greetings on our dessert plate, and such courteous service from the waiter (can't recall his name and do not have access to his business card). Our waiter was so helpful and friendly!! Thanks again for a great meal and all the extras. My sister was pleasantly surprised. THANK YOU!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Evening!SteakloverDined on 9/13/2014We were there for our anniversary. I requested through opentable if they can do something special for us. They had Happy Anniversary printed on our menu. Our waited, Derrick, who was beyond unbelievable, even went around the whole restaurant and had every employee singed our menu... A nice special touch. Our dinner was amazing! Steak was cooked to perfection and the sides were awesome. Good thing sides can be ordered in half portions because there were definitely enough for two people. After dinner, they also gave us a free souffle dessert... Amazing! Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun nightkmlpageVIPDined on 9/5/2014Delicious food & great service! Celebrated a special event in a special way.Special Features:
- great placegolf1775Dined on 9/2/2014but it is very expensive ....would only visit one in a while .....vibrant bar sceneSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent food and service! Totally worth the price. Located in very nice area right by the Ritz.Special Features:
- moms birthdayJDRatclifDined on 8/31/2014It was my moms 82nd birthday and we all had a great time. The staff was so nice, food was excelent great time had by all.Special Features:
- Chop houseGreatsteakDined on 8/30/2014Lovely setting people very nice but food was over cooked to order and too salty. For the same type of meal one should perhaps consider Ruth Chris
- Nite outSwimDined on 8/30/2014The food was very good and the waiter very friendly. But it was 45 min before we got our salad. The rest was okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealCHRISDined on 8/30/2014absolutely the best meal and service I have had all year I would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakstennisVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our dinner was delicious but TOO pricey. We split everything and the bill was over $100!Special Features:
- Loud with average foodbeckDined on 8/30/2014We were seated in a booth across from the bar. The restaurant was loud with no ambiance. The food was average to below average. The lobster tail was tough and tasteless, and the baked potato needed to be cut with a steak knife. We were very disappointed with the entire experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014food cooked to order,attentive staff.will return.thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatDined on 8/30/2014The food and service ere excellent. A separate meat tray was provided to help choose your preferred cut, there were choices on the menu or special cuts off the menu. The side dishes were large enough to share and served family style. The extensive wine list included by the glass and bottle pricing. There is a corking fee if you prefer to bring your own wine. Prices were high almost sticker shock but, you pay for the best food and service in one of Saint Louis' finer resturants. Our server was a great help in deciding our choices for the evening. There is valet parking if desired. A truly great place to dine for a unique or special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wowtech93Dined on 8/29/2014I was blown away by this restaurant. The food was absolutely incredible! I will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Way over priced and very loud. Food was ok but not A wow. To May other places in town less costly with great food. Not impressed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2014Nice ambiance. Overall food and service was good. Nice drink selection and good wine list. Typical salads and sides for a steakhouse,which were all nicely prepared. However the steaks were just average. Disappointing for an expensive steak place. Steaks were cooked slightly more done than the medium rare we ordered and were not as tender as expected for prime steak. Overall other top end steak places are a better choice. Service was good, but again not as attentive as we would expect for this price point.
- Nice, but too noisy for businessMiltonDined on 8/27/2014Great service and food, but could not hear each other. Even the waitress was shouting to be heard above the noise. Get a private room if you have business to discuss while entertaining clients.Special Features:
- WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We had a excellent waitress, friendly, very gracious, and very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumKito3987VIPDined on 8/25/2014I'm sure the steaks are great, but I had the filet medallions which were AMAZING. Their sides are stellar, and come in huge portions. I could have made a meal of just sides (we had brussel sprouts and mac & cheese). Huge wine list, but few options under $75. We brought our own bottle and paid the $25 corkage fee.Special Features:
- Great special occasion restaurantfrequentdinerDined on 8/24/2014We visited the Chop House because we had been given a gift card there. The food was excellent, but pricey. The service was good, but not up to what it should have been given the prices. We shared the pork chop, which was cooked wonderfully, crispy on the outside, but very tender and juicy inside. The sides that we shared were also extremely good. Would highly recommend the creamed spinach and creamed peas. The wine list was very extensive, but again very pricey. I would recommend this restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- Gracious assistanceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014While looking around the restaurant after diner we ran into server Todd Zietlow who gave us an unexpected impromptu tour leaving a great impression. My wife is planing using the private rooms for future business meetings and will request Todd.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Best meat I have ever experienced. Interesting sides as well!Special Features:
- 801 is not to be missed!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014I don't usually do reviews but our dinner at 801 Chophouse was particularly noteworthy. Between dining socially and for business let's just say I see alot of menus! Last Saturday night was a pleasure from start to finish ... Ok, I did get the bill which wasn't cheap but it was worth it. The food was outstanding, but it was the hospitality of our server and staff who made our dining experience so perfect. Steakhouses around the US (especially the larger chains) maintain good quality, but are noisy, rushed and increasingly pretentious. Not 801! ... Dinner was relaxed, tables are nicely spaced and we could actually hear each other without raising our voices. We dont live nearby but will definitely return soon (already re-booked)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Subpar ServiceDisappointedDined on 8/23/2014There were very long stretches of time when we saw the waiter, he did not check to confirm if steaks were to our satisfaction, he returned too late to take desert order, bread was not replenished without asking and water only at the end of the meal. The Delmonico steaks, mashed potatoes and asparagus were good, but priced too high.
- Worth every cent!CountrygirlDined on 8/23/2014The food and the service were excellent! The filet mignon was melt in your mouth tender and very flavorful. The side dishes are large enough for 2-3 to share. Half portions are also available. Great for special occasions or if you just want to have a nice dinner.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Outstanding food. Great service. Little pricey but food is second to none so you get what you pay for. It was a little noisy but it was a Friday night so it's to be expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyNativeNEGirl66Dined on 8/22/2014Too noisy. Food was great, but not for $100 per person. Wait staff seemed to work well together. Lobster tail was almost rubbery. There was some pretension.Special Features:
- Good not greatWinerdinerDined on 8/22/2014My third time dining there and it didn't seem as good as the first two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLuvcards04Dined on 8/22/2014The steaks were prepared exactly as ordered and melted in your mouth. The lobster Mac and cheese was terrific with huge pieces of lobster meat. This was an anniversary dinner to rememberSpecial Features:
- ExcellentRonCDined on 8/21/2014The food was fantastic and the steaks were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- surly waiterguycmsDined on 8/21/2014I asked for a wine recommendation for a cab approx. $50 bottle and he said, "Our cabs start at $75." That was it. Not a follow up such as "Can I recommend a blend?" I said I was trying to decide between the filet and the ribeye and he said "I'm not going to be the one eating it." No lie. Direct quote with nothing to follow it up but a blank stare. And then we never saw him again. We were celebrating my daughter's 21st birthday.
- Money, money, moneychoochooDined on 8/21/2014God awful expensive, way out of line. Highest priced wine list we have ever seen in St. Louis. The food was actually very good but the prices take away one's enjoyment.Special Features:
- Good placeEstebanDined on 8/21/2014This is a good place for those who are willing to spend $$$$$. I will probably go there again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Fanatastic foodMaryVIPDined on 8/20/2014You would have to not like food to not like 801 Chophouse. What a great experience! Our waiter was fantastic, the food (filet mignon and prime rib) was cooked to perfection! What is not to like????Special Features:
- Not alot of bang for your buckSteakluverVIPDined on 8/20/2014Extremely overpriced for the product. Ordered a bone n filet for 80.00. It was not super flavorful like it was described and was overcooked. I could have ordered a regular filet for half the price. The side dishes were good but nothing outstanding. Overrated all around.
- Special occasiongetzyDined on 8/20/2014Our night out to the restaurant was a gift. We had a wonderful dinner. The prime rib was excellent. The side dishes were great. The servings are quite ample. We could not finish all of our meal so our waiter (Christopher) boxed it all for us to take home. THe whole atmosphere of the restaurant was very relaxing. Our waiter, Christopher was great. He explained the different cuts of meat and seafood being offered that evening and how they were prepared. He answered all our questions and was very attentive and accommodating. He was gracious and took our picture to send to our son. He then brought us dessert as an anniversary gift and a menu signed by the staff. I would definitely recommend 801 Chop House .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOverjoyedDined on 8/19/2014It was a great experince, start to finish. Beautiful room, excellent service, and the incredible flavor of the food made the evening special! You could not help but relax and enjoy every bite.Special Features:
- Anniversary TreatBlondies6Dined on 8/19/2014The 801 Chophouse was a very nice place to spend our 42nd anniversary. I had seen a review in the newspaper, and when a Groupon became available, I jumped on it! This is an expensive choice, but for a special occasion it was perfect. The entire staff went out of their way to make our celebration memorable. Our server was knowledgeable and so very pleasant to talk with. The night we were there, they were serving several large parties. The noise level was quite high. I don't know if some acoustic materials would help this or not. This is a large restaurant. As a cane user, I wish there were restrooms at both ends of the dining room. We hope to return to 801 Chophouse in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.