801 Chophouse – Des Moines
801 Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
801 Chophouse – Des Moines
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.801restaurantgroup.com/
- Phone: 5152886000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Dennis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Damon Murphy with any private dining inquiries.
- Private Party Contact: Damon P. Murphy 5152886000x
A word from 801 Chophouse – Des Moines
A late 1920"s New York City steak house interior with signature leather booths, cherry wood furnishings, wooden floors, marble counter tops and high ceilings. 801 Chophouse offers only the very finest and freshest meats, seafood, and vegetables available. Executive Chef, Brian Dennis creates a fresh sheet that highlights the unique weekly offerings. Seasonal fresh soups and salads, oysters on the half shell,four species of fresh fish, live Maine lobsters and king crab legs. Make sure to save room for the Grand Marnier Soufflé made from scratch! Aged USDA Grade Prime Beef ONLY, Iowa Farm Families pork chops and Colorado lamb. Customize your party from 6 to 65, the walls reconfigure for the perfect amount of space, the tables change for seating and conversation, and custom menus range from cocktails and hors d'oeuvres to full course dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
801 Chophouse – Des Moines - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
801 Chophouse – Des Moines reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (165)romantic (115)notable wine list (114)fit for foodies (69)good for groups (27)hot spot (16)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Best Eatery in DSMOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014This is without question the best restaurant in Des Moines. Ok its pricey but you will not walk away disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Great ServiceLadydreDined on 8/31/2014I know this restaurant is known for it's steak but we tried the Seafood Pasta Menurie and it was one of the best seafood dishes I have ever eaten. Highly recommended to try. I know we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the prime rib, not chickenTrainerTVIPDined on 8/30/2014I ordered the chicken and was disappointed, as it had very little flavor. This may have been partially because all of the seasoning appeared to be on the skin, and I do not eat the skin. They need to find a way to season under the skin too, as many people prefer the chicken breast to be skinless. I did try my husband's prime rib, and it was excellent. Garlic mashed potatoes were yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent restaurant, superb food, awesome service, expensive but for a special treat it's worth it. What let it down for us though was the reservation we booked thru' OpenTable didn't seem to have registered at the restaurant. We did get the reminder email from OpenTable beforehand and we arrived at the restaurant on time at 7pm. However despite three people asking for our name and the time booked, they could not find our reservation. Eventually they seated us in the bar area which was much noisier than the quiet evening we had hoped for (and was why we had requested a window table, for that very reason).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion SpotLoveSeafoodDined on 8/30/2014The service at 801 Chophouse is impeccable! From the bartenders while we were waiting for our table to the server (Kacy) and the support staff, is was a pleasurable experience. The food was great- we had the filet mignon, apple pork chops, and the fillet medallions. It is a special occasion place for us as it is $$$$, yet we have found it to be well worth it!Special Features:
- wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014immediate seating, we were early for our reservation. nice secluded booth for privacy, fast service, excellent advice on selections from our server. overall a great meal.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Otstanding service, oysters not good, steaks perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This was our 2nd visit to 801 Chophouse. Both times we purchased Groupons. (Otherwise it is outside our budget.) We absolutely love this restaurant!! The service is superior to any other restaurant we have ever visited. The steak medalions absolutely melt in your mouth! I don't think you could go wrong with anything you order. The ambiance was perfect for our anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night out.EricksneDined on 8/29/2014Great food as usual. The service was top notch never having to ask for anything throughout the night.Special Features:
- Excellent foodGrouponmanDined on 8/29/2014Well what you pay is what you get. The food was overall excellent of course but I think the waitress could have been a little bit more friendly. I think after we told her that we had a Groupon before we started our dinner, we felt that it sucked the air out of her sail. I understand some people might under tip and most Groupon people are cheap but at the end she received the full 20% tip off the full price. I wish she wouldn't prejudge us next time!!! Also, I had my left over rib-eye steak boxed up for home but after I got home I opened the box to find 3 pieces of fried chicken instead of my steak. Very disappointed at that kind of mistake!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- have had betterFarmmanDined on 8/27/2014Of course the atmosphere is near perfect along with the service, but my wife's chicken, let's just say was far from. She couldn't finish it as it was dry and fatty were her words. The ribeye was good, but I have had better before the price and selection of beef became a problem as of late. Potatoes, salad, desert and drink were all excellent and we do plan a return, just hoping for a tastier meat next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant was terrible noisy the night we were there. Of course, this was impacted by the fact that our booth was near the grill/kitchen area. I also feel that for a restaurant as pricey as 801 there should be a dress code. Folks were in jeans and some people looked as though they just got off a blue collar construction job.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceluv2tailg8Dined on 8/26/2014Service was top-notch and atmosphere was very comfortable and relaxing. Check out the menu on-line before you go because the entrees are a bit pricey but well worth the cost. We had prime rib which was fabulous and the mac and cheese with lobster which was totally amazing.Special Features:
- Great evning down townChuckVIPDined on 8/24/2014The steaks were cooked to perfection and the sides were outstanding. The service was excellent. Outstanding experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. Awful service.801chophouseDined on 8/24/2014Our waiter didn't explain the menu. He didn't advise we had to order some deserts before hand. We had to ask for the rest of our dinner because only our sides were boxed up and brought back to us but not our main dishes. The waiter seemed clueless as to why we were asking for my husband's almost full steak and my remaining chicken breast. Not a huge deal but I asked for sprite and got 7up which I think is undesirable when the waiter could have just told me it wasn't available. We did not receive small plates for our bread when every other table around us had them. Hearing the very attentive waitress next to us was disappointing as ours was not that good. He also tool over 15 minutes to get our check and take our card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time diner at 801FoodyDined on 8/24/2014Our reservation was at 6:30, we arrived early and were seated within 5 minutes. Prices were as expected. Food was good, but would prefer our steak not be cut for us, we understand that is how things are done at 801. Sides to share were smaller than expected, but very good. Our server was great, funny, helpful and on top of refills. We would recommend to friends and will likely return for Sunday special menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersJkkdgopackDined on 8/23/2014It was our first time and from our experience, we will definitely go back! Service was fabulous and so was the food! If you want a prime aged steak, this is the place. Sides were plentiful. We certainly didn't go away hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great experience hereetcheverryDined on 8/23/2014We have eaten here many times and always have a great experience from the time we walk in to the time we leave. Thank you again staff at 801 Grand!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually excellent!nrandallDined on 8/23/2014We only visit the 801 Chophouse for special occasions because of the price tag. The food is usually spectacular, and the majority of our meal was excellent this visit, although the shrimp in my seafood pan roast was tough and rubbery, not at all what I would normally expect at the 801 Chophouse! And although the ambience is generally very nice, the two of us were seated at an open table instead of a booth-- not only did this seem a little less private, but it was much colder! The air conditioning was very high and my legs were freezing at the end of the meal (as in, I was trying to cover them with the cloth napkins to keep warm!), just a warning to ladies who may want to wear a dress for this special occasion (as I did!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable ServiceFrequentDinersDined on 8/23/2014Their attention to detail and service is undoubtedly the most impressive I have ever seen. Food was prepared as requested/described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentChazBonoDined on 8/22/2014This place is amazing and priced accordingly. I have been to 801 about 9 times in the nearly 5 years that I have live in Iowa. I have had one bad meal and 8 that have been exemplary. Eat there with confidence and if for some reason you have a less than stellar meal don't be shy; ask them for a chance to redeem themselves. The place rules and it's well worth the money,Special Features:
- birthday celebrationsydlc88Dined on 8/22/2014Went on a very busy night, sat in the lounge for dinner and there was a TON of noise from the bar area. Food good, service great. Steak was a little over seared, and I wish they would have mentioned the souffle took 45 mins to cook at the beginning of the meal so we have fired it earlier and not waited so long at the end of the meal for our dessert. It was a good experience, we love this place for special occasion dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiniingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I would highly recommend you give 801 at least one dining experience. We were very impressed with the food and service on our special occasion. We are planning on next year as well on our anniversary. Yes, it is pricey, but well worth the price.Special Features:
- Above average but pricyAaronDined on 8/21/2014Went at 7pm, very busy still. Service excellent, with multiple attendants. Extensive wine/drink list. Average prices on menu about $50, any sides extra. Steaks had different options for preparations. Servings very large, sides could be shared by 2. A little loud but not overwhelming. Overall a nice place for a special occasion (anniversary/B-day). Ended up spending $195 +tip for 2 people. Although food was above average, I've had better for less.Special Features:
- It is more than just a steak houseFoodieshDined on 8/20/2014The menu had a lot more to choose than streak and pork chop. They have live lobster, tuna, oyster, and other seafood. Staff are very friendly. A good formal restaurant to dine in this city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceTRexDined on 8/19/2014Although 801 has been in Des Moines for decades, I *just now* got around to trying it. It is now one of my favorite restaurants in Des Moines. Service and food were outstanding. It's a little pricey, but well worth it considering the attentive staff and excellent food. We will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Des Moinesfalls2daleDined on 8/17/2014The prices are high, but when you see, taste, and experience this place, you will see that it is more than worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2014Outstanding food and wine. Server was terrific. Went for dinner with reservations. Although it wasn't particularly busy, we were seated at a table in front of the bar. Not desirable for a place with new York city prices. Amazing they pay great attention to food quality, service skills and wine list and then blow it with lousy ambiance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Service!ChazmanDined on 8/16/2014The excellent food and service made up for being seated at 850 for an 815 reservation buying us a drink would have sufficed instead of being overcharged $80 dollars for a bottle of wine we never had, however the incredible service from Paul and the top notch quality of the food more than made up for it, I must say only John Howie and Daniels give them a run for their money being a big time foodie I will be going to 801 every time I visit Iowa by far the best food in the state!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foreigner was there!!pedalmetalDined on 8/16/2014The place was packed and the British group, Foreigner, was there! Had my wife's photo taken with them as well and they were very gracious! Just another great time at 801 !Special Features:
- ExperienceKimber22Dined on 8/15/2014801 is a wonderful dining experience from being greeted to the end. The staff is welcoming and professional. Dinner was delicious. Everything was so flavorful and seasoned well. We enjoy fine dining and have celebrated our anniversary there the past few years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Great service. Nice decor. Smiling faces everywhere. Food was good, not outstanding. We split a 44oz bone in rib eye and it was quite good. Restaurant points out that they use the easier and less effective form of steak aging (wet). Results in a good but unremarkable product. Very Expensive. Full marks for the bar staff as the cocktails were superbly crafted.Special Features:
- Excellent VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Dinner was for colleagues and clients and we all thoroughly enjoyed the food and atmosphere! Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceExNewsGuyDined on 8/11/2014We had our 35th anniversary dinner here, and it exceeded expectations with some nice touches to help us celebrate. Unique menu items (lobster mash potatoes) complement standard fare (steaks and seafood). My wife loved her scallops, and my filet was cooked to perfection. Only cautionary note: sides are ENORMOUS. Not to be shared by just two. Knowledgeable server, gracious staff. Excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sports bar?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014I was very disappointed in 801 Chophouse. It has the noise level of a sport bar; my partner and I had a hard time hearing each other. There was a TV on a sports channel. Who could hear, and who would be watching TV? The waitress came by to fill our water each time we took a few sips; it was very disruptive. I finally stopped drinking, so that we wouldn't be interrupted as much. The food was OK, but nothing out of the ordinary. I had heard rave reviews when this restaurant first opened. I would never recommend this and we won't be going back.
- loved our visitmelmel21Dined on 8/6/2014Our first time and so worth many more trips. such good food, location, AMD staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday 801dsm739Dined on 8/2/2014Our party ordered the lobster - it was tough - almost as if it was cooked too long - we told our server and he said he would report it to the chef. That was the last we heard of the tough lobster The noise in the restaurant was too loud. some members of our party were not able to hear our conversation. otherwise, the rest of our food was good. Our server was efficient but not overly friendly.Special Features:
- Top-notchcoquette07Dined on 7/26/2014We visited 801 Chophouse to celebrate a momentous occasion. We were not disappointed! We ordered the featured salad, which was enough to share, as well as the 8 oz filet, the halibut, and the lobster macaroni. We were particularly impressed by the halibut--deliciously prepared, and not too heavy. In addition, the service was phenomenal! Attentive but not intrusive. We ordered a dessert--molten lemon--that was presented beautifully and that topped off our celebration.Special Features:
- Kyle & Casey are great serversMattFisherDined on 7/26/2014Although we can't afford it often (and almost always use a Groupon), this place makes the most awesome food you'll find in Des Moines. It has that classic steakhouse feel but with the utmost elegance. I love it. A++++Special Features:
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014We celebrated our first anniversary at the Chophouse and the restaurant made it very special. We had a great waiter, along with a card from the Chophouse, confetti on the table, and a anniversary menu. Great service, great food and wine, will keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.