801 Chophouse – Des Moines
801 Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
801 Chophouse – Des Moines
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.801restaurantgroup.com/
- Phone: 5152886000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Dennis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Damon Murphy with any private dining inquiries.
- Private Party Contact: Damon P. Murphy 5152886000x
A word from 801 Chophouse – Des Moines
A late 1920"s New York City steak house interior with signature leather booths, cherry wood furnishings, wooden floors, marble counter tops and high ceilings. 801 Chophouse offers only the very finest and freshest meats, seafood, and vegetables available. Executive Chef, Brian Dennis creates a fresh sheet that highlights the unique weekly offerings. Seasonal fresh soups and salads, oysters on the half shell,four species of fresh fish, live Maine lobsters and king crab legs. Make sure to save room for the Grand Marnier Soufflé made from scratch! Aged USDA Grade Prime Beef ONLY, Iowa Farm Families pork chops and Colorado lamb. Customize your party from 6 to 65, the walls reconfigure for the perfect amount of space, the tables change for seating and conversation, and custom menus range from cocktails and hors d'oeuvres to full course dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
801 Chophouse – Des Moines - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
801 Chophouse – Des Moines reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (139)romantic (103)notable wine list (95)fit for foodies (64)good for groups (26)hot spot (14)neighborhood gem (12)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Too goodnoprisonersDined on 10/18/2014The problem with dining at the 801 Chophouse is that it ruins every other restaurant that you will dine at in the future. None of the others will match up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Thank you for the great experience. Jim was amazing.Special Features:
- JJ24Dined on 10/11/2014The food was outstanding!! The wait staff for this level of dining was average to below. We were 4 and placed at at a small table by the bar, was not busy and other tables available so I'm not sure what ..... Anyway food was outstanding!!Special Features:
- Best steakFirsttimer1Dined on 10/7/2014My boyfriend and I ate here for the first time the other night and fell in love with it. kinda expensive but well worth it! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An aniversary to rememberMillertimeDined on 10/1/2014We arrived and were promptly seated at a beautifully adorned table and handed special menus congratulating us on our anniversary. Prompt and courteous staff, everyone smiling and acknowledging us as we would pass them or they us as we were seated. We enjoyed perfectly prepared appetizers, mouth watering steaks and delicious fresh vegetables along with an excellent salad. The bar is stocked well with many import beers, that with the guidance of our waiter, we tried several that I had not seen before and thoroughly enjoyed. Our waiter made several recommendations on food and drink (which we followed) that proved to be excellent choices. All in all this one of the finest dining experiences we have had, we will be back again!Special Features:
- Still Impressive!IowaDinerDined on 9/27/2014We have dined at 801 many times over the year and always treat is a special occasion. The ambiance calls for a higher level of dining, whether it's a Christmas party or an anniversary dinner or just drinks and appetizers. You always feel special. And you can't beat the steaks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014We had a wonderful experience and the food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014We won a gift card for a dinner here. Everything was very good. We like carrots, they were excellent, and of course the steak and potato were top notch. The only thing that was average was the crime brûlée , still okay though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third TimewillreturnDined on 9/19/2014My third visit to the restaurant was just as amazing as the first! Our server was great. He was there for everything before we needed it. The food was perfect. The steaks were delicious - the best I have ever had. The salads and scalloped potatoes were fabulous. Can't beat 801 for the food or service! Perfect every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OcnaiDined on 9/15/2014Great food! From fresh seafood to world class steaks, everything that came from the kitchen was expertly prepared. I would compare this to any fine restaurant in any major city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it all!feedmemoreDined on 9/12/2014We have made the chop house our go to spot for date night.we have tried other places ,but we never get the kind of all around good dinning experience, consistently offered at the chop house. They have gotten to know us quickly and have made excellent food and wine selections both in and out of our comfort zone.as well as before and after dinner drinks! Which by the way, they have an awesome selection of. Sit in the bar if possible ,it has an ambiance to die for! The wait staff is the best we've seen in a long time, never rushing the customer, and appearing and disappearing at all the right times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!JuliealstedDined on 9/12/2014Food was exceptional, as always! Service was second to none, Paul, will be who I recommend in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLisaWDined on 9/10/2014I don't know what I can add to the other reviews. Food, service, ambiance - all perfect. Fillet for me and Delmonico for my husband were fantastic. It was the most flavorful fillet I've ever had. Sauteed spinach was delicious. The molten-lemon-something for dessert was amazing. We took our waiter's suggestion for a "mid-priced" wine (fairly pricey!!) and it was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillBilllovesfoodwineDined on 9/9/2014Great service by Kyle and the other waitstaff; every morsal of food ordered was superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuliealstedDined on 9/5/2014Excellent food, great experience!!! Most amazing filet in Des Moines, baked potato and 801 Wedge Salad were the perfect compliment and enough to share. We will be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Eatery in DSMSteaklvrDined on 8/31/2014This is without question the best restaurant in Des Moines. Ok its pricey but you will not walk away disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Great ServiceLadydreDined on 8/31/2014I know this restaurant is known for it's steak but we tried the Seafood Pasta Menurie and it was one of the best seafood dishes I have ever eaten. Highly recommended to try. I know we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the prime rib, not chickenTrainerTVIPDined on 8/30/2014I ordered the chicken and was disappointed, as it had very little flavor. This may have been partially because all of the seasoning appeared to be on the skin, and I do not eat the skin. They need to find a way to season under the skin too, as many people prefer the chicken breast to be skinless. I did try my husband's prime rib, and it was excellent. Garlic mashed potatoes were yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing ReservationColinDined on 8/30/2014Excellent restaurant, superb food, awesome service, expensive but for a special treat it's worth it. What let it down for us though was the reservation we booked thru' OpenTable didn't seem to have registered at the restaurant. We did get the reminder email from OpenTable beforehand and we arrived at the restaurant on time at 7pm. However despite three people asking for our name and the time booked, they could not find our reservation. Eventually they seated us in the bar area which was much noisier than the quiet evening we had hoped for (and was why we had requested a window table, for that very reason).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion SpotLoveSeafoodDined on 8/30/2014The service at 801 Chophouse is impeccable! From the bartenders while we were waiting for our table to the server (Kacy) and the support staff, is was a pleasurable experience. The food was great- we had the filet mignon, apple pork chops, and the fillet medallions. It is a special occasion place for us as it is $$$$, yet we have found it to be well worth it!Special Features:
- wonderful experienceBrowndogsmomDined on 8/30/2014immediate seating, we were early for our reservation. nice secluded booth for privacy, fast service, excellent advice on selections from our server. overall a great meal.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Otstanding service, oysters not good, steaks perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding experiencefoodisablessingDined on 8/29/2014This was our 2nd visit to 801 Chophouse. Both times we purchased Groupons. (Otherwise it is outside our budget.) We absolutely love this restaurant!! The service is superior to any other restaurant we have ever visited. The steak medalions absolutely melt in your mouth! I don't think you could go wrong with anything you order. The ambiance was perfect for our anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night out.EricksneDined on 8/29/2014Great food as usual. The service was top notch never having to ask for anything throughout the night.Special Features:
- Excellent foodGrouponmanDined on 8/29/2014Well what you pay is what you get. The food was overall excellent of course but I think the waitress could have been a little bit more friendly. I think after we told her that we had a Groupon before we started our dinner, we felt that it sucked the air out of her sail. I understand some people might under tip and most Groupon people are cheap but at the end she received the full 20% tip off the full price. I wish she wouldn't prejudge us next time!!! Also, I had my left over rib-eye steak boxed up for home but after I got home I opened the box to find 3 pieces of fried chicken instead of my steak. Very disappointed at that kind of mistake!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- have had betterFarmmanDined on 8/27/2014Of course the atmosphere is near perfect along with the service, but my wife's chicken, let's just say was far from. She couldn't finish it as it was dry and fatty were her words. The ribeye was good, but I have had better before the price and selection of beef became a problem as of late. Potatoes, salad, desert and drink were all excellent and we do plan a return, just hoping for a tastier meat next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant was terrible noisy the night we were there. Of course, this was impacted by the fact that our booth was near the grill/kitchen area. I also feel that for a restaurant as pricey as 801 there should be a dress code. Folks were in jeans and some people looked as though they just got off a blue collar construction job.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceluv2tailg8Dined on 8/26/2014Service was top-notch and atmosphere was very comfortable and relaxing. Check out the menu on-line before you go because the entrees are a bit pricey but well worth the cost. We had prime rib which was fabulous and the mac and cheese with lobster which was totally amazing.Special Features:
- Great evning down townChuckVIPDined on 8/24/2014The steaks were cooked to perfection and the sides were outstanding. The service was excellent. Outstanding experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. Awful service.801chophouseDined on 8/24/2014Our waiter didn't explain the menu. He didn't advise we had to order some deserts before hand. We had to ask for the rest of our dinner because only our sides were boxed up and brought back to us but not our main dishes. The waiter seemed clueless as to why we were asking for my husband's almost full steak and my remaining chicken breast. Not a huge deal but I asked for sprite and got 7up which I think is undesirable when the waiter could have just told me it wasn't available. We did not receive small plates for our bread when every other table around us had them. Hearing the very attentive waitress next to us was disappointing as ours was not that good. He also tool over 15 minutes to get our check and take our card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time diner at 801FoodyDined on 8/24/2014Our reservation was at 6:30, we arrived early and were seated within 5 minutes. Prices were as expected. Food was good, but would prefer our steak not be cut for us, we understand that is how things are done at 801. Sides to share were smaller than expected, but very good. Our server was great, funny, helpful and on top of refills. We would recommend to friends and will likely return for Sunday special menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersJkkdgopackDined on 8/23/2014It was our first time and from our experience, we will definitely go back! Service was fabulous and so was the food! If you want a prime aged steak, this is the place. Sides were plentiful. We certainly didn't go away hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great experience hereetcheverryDined on 8/23/2014We have eaten here many times and always have a great experience from the time we walk in to the time we leave. Thank you again staff at 801 Grand!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually excellent!nrandallDined on 8/23/2014We only visit the 801 Chophouse for special occasions because of the price tag. The food is usually spectacular, and the majority of our meal was excellent this visit, although the shrimp in my seafood pan roast was tough and rubbery, not at all what I would normally expect at the 801 Chophouse! And although the ambience is generally very nice, the two of us were seated at an open table instead of a booth-- not only did this seem a little less private, but it was much colder! The air conditioning was very high and my legs were freezing at the end of the meal (as in, I was trying to cover them with the cloth napkins to keep warm!), just a warning to ladies who may want to wear a dress for this special occasion (as I did!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable ServiceFrequentDinersDined on 8/23/2014Their attention to detail and service is undoubtedly the most impressive I have ever seen. Food was prepared as requested/described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentChazBonoDined on 8/22/2014This place is amazing and priced accordingly. I have been to 801 about 9 times in the nearly 5 years that I have live in Iowa. I have had one bad meal and 8 that have been exemplary. Eat there with confidence and if for some reason you have a less than stellar meal don't be shy; ask them for a chance to redeem themselves. The place rules and it's well worth the money,Special Features:
- birthday celebrationsydlc88Dined on 8/22/2014Went on a very busy night, sat in the lounge for dinner and there was a TON of noise from the bar area. Food good, service great. Steak was a little over seared, and I wish they would have mentioned the souffle took 45 mins to cook at the beginning of the meal so we have fired it earlier and not waited so long at the end of the meal for our dessert. It was a good experience, we love this place for special occasion dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to EatSneakiNinjaDined on 8/22/2014We had a seat right across from the bar, which lowered the overall ambiance of our personal experience. However, it was still the best place in Des Moines that I have EVER eaten. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was top notch.Special Features:
- Excellent DiniingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I would highly recommend you give 801 at least one dining experience. We were very impressed with the food and service on our special occasion. We are planning on next year as well on our anniversary. Yes, it is pricey, but well worth the price.Special Features:
- Above average but pricyAaronDined on 8/21/2014Went at 7pm, very busy still. Service excellent, with multiple attendants. Extensive wine/drink list. Average prices on menu about $50, any sides extra. Steaks had different options for preparations. Servings very large, sides could be shared by 2. A little loud but not overwhelming. Overall a nice place for a special occasion (anniversary/B-day). Ended up spending $195 +tip for 2 people. Although food was above average, I've had better for less.Special Features: