80 Thoreau Street
Concord, MA 01742Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.80thoreau.com/
- Phone: 9783180008x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carolyn Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 80 Thoreau
80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
80 Thoreau - Best Restaurants in Concord, MA ›
80 Thoreau reviews from OpenTable diners
290 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (228)special occasion (186)neighborhood gem (166)romantic (99)notable wine list (78)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (28)good for groups (24)scenic view (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Boston-like Dining in the BurbsjohnnypDined on 9/11/2014A pretty good restaurant tucked atop a a few local shops. The place has a sophisticated vibe without being stuffy - granite topped bar, hardwood floors. linen on the tables. We started with the salmon pate and a glass of pinot noir. Both good. For main dishes, we tried the tuna and the pork tenderloin. both were cooked perfectly, presented well, and were quite tasty, the main course complimented by thoughtful and interesting sides. Overall, a solid restaurant that most foodies would enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the very best in New EnglandRobertBVIPDined on 9/9/2014Creative unique menu, quality ingredients, expert preparation, knowledgeable service, excellent wines, open kitchen, beautiful space. 80 Thoreau is our favorite restaurant in New England.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food & serviceFequentdinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014We went here based on the reviews, which were accurate as to this place's quality. Service was friendly, helpful & polite. The food was excellent and the portions fine. Though we ordered only one dessert, we were gifted a 2nd one and also after dinner drinks, which was very generous. The manager and also the sommelier were very helpful and warm. We thanked all of them for the lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceEmilyDined on 9/9/2014We came for a birthday dinner, and had a wonderful time and meal. Chris provided outstanding service, and the food was delicious. My only suggestion for improvement was that I ordered a bottle of champagne to be served at the table when we arrived, and it was, but the gentleman came and poured the champagne without saying a word. It would've been a nice touch to wish a happy birthday, or say what the champagne was for. Not a big deal. We'll definitely return!!Special Features:
- Always a treat1serialdinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014We are always delighted to get to dine here! Love ALL the staff! There's always a delicious new drink on the menu, food menu always changing and so many home made touches, down to the ketchup on the plate with "the world's best burger"! Wish we could be there more often! And, remember to reserve ahead, they fill up early for obvious reasons!Special Features:
- Fantastic!SpinnerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We are regulars at 80 Thoreau, and we recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Young Restaurant w/ Many StrengthsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful grilled fish - a real strength of this menu. The pasta is notable too, as is the wine list. Ask for the Reserve List for some special wines. Finally, the cocktails were made to perfection. We can't say enough good things about this young but very polished restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but....GoldieDined on 9/6/2014My friend and I had a reservation for a Saturday evening at 7PM. The food was excellent, nice blend of flavors and presentation. We split two appetizers, the main course, and a delightful dessert, a perfect amount of food. They were very happy to plate the main course in two. A noisy party of young women voices overwhelmed the restaurant. Even after they left it was not quiet, making it difficult for us to converse easily. The service was shaky. The server gave us more time to look over the drink menu per our request, which we appreciated. The appetizers arrived in a timely fashion but we had to catch our server's attention to bring the main course. That and the noise level took the edge off an otherwise fine dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RayJ336Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful experience yet again...very flavorful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top foodNewmexdexDined on 9/5/2014Great food served perfectly. Portions are moderate, but everything is meticulously prepared and presented. Seasoning is tasteful, but not overly intense. Ingredients used are of the highest quality.Special Features:
- Fantastic BurgerBergieDined on 9/3/201480 Thoreau has a lot going for it and a very interesting menu that changes seasonally. I had their hamburger (medium rare) last night off the bar menu. It was fantastic and you have to try it! Get the fried pickles as well...Special Features:
- Always a winnerLeafpeeper2dayVIPDined on 9/3/201480 Thoreau is one of our favorite restaurants. While the menu is short, it has a broad range of flavors. I would like to see a few more options of vegetarian fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upstairs at 80 ThoreauDebonaireDined on 9/3/201480 Thoreau is hidden gem that has it all. The food is excellent and the wait staff are friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. I look forward to my next dining experience there in the the near future.Special Features:
- Delicious Anniversary DinnerStrudelMeisterDined on 8/30/2014My husband celebrated our wedding anniversary here and sat in dining area nearest the bar (about 30 seats) The entrance is very discreet -like a speakeasy in the 1920's (which added to its appeal). I had not realized that it was "Dining Week" (options tend to be dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience -less selection) However our 3 course meal ($38/pp) was top notch. My husband is a (fresh/local) tomato fanatic and really enjoyed the heirloom tomato app. The bluefish entree was especially delicious( (crispy outside & briny inside) The desserts were the perfect (small bite) size & still enough to share. Only downside was that tables were very close together (shared conversations / challenging to get in/out) We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love 80 Thoreau!clhloves80ThoreauDined on 8/30/2014We've had dinner at 80 Thoreau around 8 times now... the service, ambiance, and of course the food is always wonderful, and this last time was no exception...from the fun cocktails to the perfectly cooked roasted chicken and fresh bluefish to the just-enough sweet desserts. The panacotta appetizer was particularly good, with lovely texture and flavors on the side to match. I always feel satisfied after the meal, feeling both comfortably fed and having a reasonable bill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A restaurant week delightBlivetDined on 8/29/2014We were four out for the final night of restaurant week. The choices on the prix fixe menu all sounded interesting and the restaurant also offered a special appetizer and dessert off the menu - unusual for a restaurant week dinner. The waitstaff were knowledgeable and attentive. The courses were presented beautifully and all that we selected was flavorful. There were unusual wines on the list and the sommelier made suggestions to compliment our meals across a broad price range. Love the open kitchen. All in all, a great experience - we will be back!Special Features:
- SueHVIPDined on 8/29/2014We went during restaurant week and the food was amazing. The chef and the entire staff pay attention to every detail, making for a very special dining experience.Special Features:
- Always amazing!MsanDined on 8/29/201480 Thoreau is my favorite. In my opinion its service and menue surpasses more expensive restaurants in boston.Special Features:
- Creative CookingwillypaulDined on 8/29/201480 Thoreau is a real find in the West Suburban quality restaurant desert. The cuisine is imaginative, creative, and made of fresh high quality ingredients. Moderately expensive but well worth the expense for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- globaldinerDined on 8/28/201480 Thoreau was a treat! We had heard about this restaurant, all favorable, and found our experience to be the same. Very tasty, innovative menu, superb (really!!) service, and surprisingly, reasonably priced wines. The atmosphere was lovely, much as one would expect in an intimate bistro in an elegant area. While their regular menu is a bit pricy for us, we would dine here again in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a hitpennyDined on 8/27/201480 thoreau is an oasis for Concordians looking for a downtown Boston fine dinner without the hassle of a commute. You get what you pay for. Service is white table cloth, attentive, but leisurely. The food is fresh and delicious, carefully prepared and, as always, we enoyed every bite. I have NEVER had such a delicious tomato bisque as I recently had - it was perfect - not too salty, with just a hint of chili. Sublime. Their boulangerie style bread and artisinal butter is a meal in itslef. (The wine list is good- but apppears to have no Australian selections. Too bad. Aussie pinot chardonnay sparkling wines are superb as an aperitif and a good Barossa Shiraz is perfect with red meat.) I also hope they have oysters next time I go : )Special Features:
- greatfoodisgoodDined on 8/26/2014Great service, food was unusual and delicious. We went for restaurant week and we will go again for sure!Special Features:
- Another outstanding meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/26/2014Time and time again, 80 Thoreau offers us delicious food and outstanding hospitality---all at a great price, especially during Restaurant Week! For those interested in wine, the restaurant offers a special list of exemplary wines...let Ian and Vincent guide you! Thank you again for caring for us!Special Features:
- The Service is ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014I recommend this restaurant for special occasions. It is expensive on a normal basis, I just didn't make a good selection for the restaurant week menu.Special Features:
- NancyGoodEatsDined on 8/26/2014You won't know the menu until you get there. If you love to try new things this is the place. They were even accomidating to some minor adjustments. Be ready to spend 2+ hours eating a three course meal. Everything was cooked perfectly and very flavorful. The close proximity to the train station added a unque experience to the evening. The staff was fantastic water was always full, presentation A+, and they checked on us regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014The food and service was absolutely amazing. I would recommend this place to anyone. It is a great place for special occasions or a romantic night out.Special Features:
- A Delight Right Outside Bostonvkx1984Dined on 8/23/2014The ambiance is warm and welcoming in this old converted train station. The entrance is nondescript and first-timers may walk right by it but for the menu outside the door. They've done amazing work inside, and the front of the place has an intimate lounge feel while the back has a full view of the kitchen and a great, small, energetic restaurant look and sound. The wait staff is so courteous and knowledgeable--at our last experience, one of our party was vegetarian and our waitress had no problem recommending the lasagna without the Lamb ragu as still perfectly delicious, which it was. The sommelier saw me eying the wine list and came right over to help. The food itself was unbelievable, fresh, creative without being unfamiliar. Amazing.Special Features:
- DeliciousFreddieHubbardDined on 8/23/2014Nice spot for a date. Friendly staff and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Tight QuartersStone13VIPDined on 8/23/2014We always find the food at 80 to be excellent and the service very good. The one negative is that the tables are packed in very close together which takes away from the overall experience.Special Features:
- MimiDined on 8/23/2014The dinners were very well designed and executed with subtle and delicious flavors. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and of the highest quality. The almond cake dessert was outstanding.Special Features:
- annnicholsDined on 8/23/2014Lasagne was bland,could have done with more vegetables.My pork loin was tepid and a bit pink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary Dinner!specialdinnerDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed all the food and drinks. Everything was presented so beautifully and by very attentive staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent ExcellenceEatsinconcordVIPDined on 8/22/2014What can I say, another fantastic meal at 80T. Service was unreal and the food to die for. Can't say enough, glad it's right down the street.Special Features:
- Always excellentansolomDined on 8/22/2014We have been to 80 Thoreau several times and have always enjoyed our dishes. The menu includes the freshest seasonal ingredients prepared and presented beautifully and deliciously. The service is always great: friendly and helpful but not disruptive or unctuous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to TableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014One of the finest farm to table gems in the Metro BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!ForTheLoveOfFoodDined on 8/22/2014Definitely a haven for foodies. Loved it. Reserved already for New Years!! Staff were so knowledgable and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but beautifulvoomelDined on 8/20/2014Limited menu so look it up Before hand. Hard to find. Overly interiorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Concord gemNHBobDined on 8/20/2014It is rare that I find a dining experience flawless but this recently happened at 80 Thoreau. Creative cuisine, perhaps best classified as "New American", a well conceived wine list, and excellent service were all on display. The very fair price quality ratio of the food and wine make this a suburban no brainer. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Well done!cleanplatecaraDined on 8/20/2014Although we visited during Restaurant Week, the service was the caliber we would expect when paying full price for a nice evening out. We were pleased that there was a breather between courses and no effort to rush us out, which is sometimes the case during busy evenings elsewhere. Very glad we chose this for Restaurant Week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/19/2014We had a delicious restaurant week meal at 80 Thoreau...3 courses for $38. I had the sword fish with grilled peaches and a grain salad...plenty to eat and a delicious combination. Recently the meals have been wonderful. It won't disappoint!Special Features: