80 Thoreau Street
Concord, MA 01742Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.80thoreau.com/
- Phone: 9783180008x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carolyn Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 80 Thoreau
80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
80 Thoreau - Best Restaurants in Concord, MA ›
80 Thoreau reviews from OpenTable diners
298 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (241)special occasion (189)neighborhood gem (184)romantic (106)notable wine list (85)vibrant bar scene (48)hot spot (39)good for groups (21)late-night find (11)great for brunch (5)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Wonderful experienceBostonTravelLadyVIPDined on 10/25/201480 Thoreau is a handsome restaurant with very attentive service from a team of staff members. We could only snag the 5:00 reservation but the place was also relaxed enough that we stayed over three and one half hours on a Saturday night while the restaurant was was not only full but very energized. I am vegetarian and asked the kitchen if they would prepare a vegetable plate not on the menu. I was very pleased with their flexibilty and results. My friend ordered the lamb and was equally happy. This is a well-run and well-experienced restaurant that I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOverTheMoonDined on 10/24/2014First visit. Waited 30 minutes past our reservation time. Lively, nice ambience. Service was good once we were seated. Food appearance was better than the taste. First bites did not bring any dreamy sensations. Expected better for the price.Special Features:
- Remarkably consistentJoeBobVIPDined on 10/24/2014We live in the restaurant desert known as Concord. 80 is the only consistently good choice. Went there Friday night for the root vegetable menus. It was inventive, interesting, and the tastes were great. For the first time ever, we had a long delay in getting food. The owners were apologetic and provided more wine when our bottle ran out. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- 80 Thoreau, best in Metro WestCarolSDined on 10/23/2014Soups are always creative and delicious; some of the other choices are tasty but overpriced. Main courses are good with health conscious vegetables, however the food is served lukewarm which is a bit disappointing. Desserts are tasty, not especially creative and the portions are quite small. Glad to have 80 Thoreau for well prepared food in an area bereft of fine dining.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014My wife and I had the root vegetable tasting menu. Not sure why that description attracted us, but so glad it did. Four very creative courses where all ingredients worked well together. Everything was cooked perfectly, service was excellent, and we were treated to new dishes that we would never make at home. We will definitely return, and look forward to the next special tasting menu.Special Features:
- CCladiesDined on 10/22/2014Who would hae thought root vegetables were so yummy? Everything delicious as usual.Special Features:
- Good but not greatsavoryeaterVIPDined on 10/21/2014I'd read great reviews and looked forward to trying 80 Thoreau. The ingredients were good and the dishes were fine but not exciting. Flavors were a bit bland. My husband didn't like his pork tenderloin. Nothing wrong with the pork, but nothing noteworthy about the dish, either. Sometimes restaurants seem to try hard to offer unusual food combinations and unexpected ingredients. That seemed true here, but the results were just ordinary.
- Wine ListAlanDined on 10/21/2014The wine list is not that good. We like Sauvignon Blancs and the best in the world are New Zealand Marlborough Region. They don't have any.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/20/2014Very nice and food was beautiful Really like their wine by the glass selection White burgundy was delicious as was the Portugal red wine my friend had We sat at the bar tables Like better than being out in the middle of the floorSpecial Features:
- I just love 80 ThoreauOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014Consistently great experience...wonderful food, talented chef and kitchen staff, professional, vigilant ownership that is always present. Menu variations that are interesting and worth exploring. Always time and money well-spent.Special Features:
- 80 ThoreauLouiseDined on 10/18/2014We have eaten there many times but for some reason that evening there was a snag in the kitchen and service was really slow. I think our order was lost at one point. The owners were apologetic and I'm sure it was a one time event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!JMHBDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary and were greeted with glasses of champagne as soon as we were seated! The food and drinks were exceptional and the timing of the service was perfect. Our waiter was pleasant and attentive but did not linger...just like we like it! We were so happy we had chosen 80 Thoreau for our special night. Thanks for being part of our celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a restaurant!lopezislandfoodieDined on 10/7/2014Superbly sourced food prepared to perfection in a lovely sophisticated and comfortable setting! The wine list is very well done and cocktails are available. Best of all owners Vincent and Ian are present and charming! The service is perfect. 80 Thoreau is worth a trip to Concord.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world GnocchiAk3487Dined on 10/6/2014I had gnocchi with shrimp and chanterelles, followed by pan-roasted duck with celeriac and kale. Both were excellent, but the gnocchi are simply spectacular: light, airy, so totally different from the usual gluey lumps. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Suburban Gem!BigTastyDined on 10/4/2014Birthday celebration for my wife which I had noted to them prior to arriving, and they provided a great celebration! We enjoyed ourselves and the outstanding food - very fresh! We started with appetizers. Succulent heirloom tomatoes, lobster gnocchi, and smoked salmon pate. All were wonderful. My wife enjoyed the bluefish for her main entree and shared some of my dish. I usually don't get chicken out at a nice restaurant. Waiter suggested it. He had noted it was on the menu since opening and a house specialty. Guidance was spot on! Fantastic meal! Best chicken I have ever had. We will be back!Special Features:
- My favorite place nowdswartzDined on 10/4/2014The service was a teeny bit slow, but hardly badly so. Everything else was outstanding, especially the food!Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantliketoeatDined on 10/3/2014We've been to 80 Thoreau several times in the last few months and each time has been super. The service was great, and the food was really exceptional. We generally dine out in Boston, but this place rivals any of the places we goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 80 Thoreau serves a wonderful mealrehEatsDined on 10/1/2014We had two amazingly good and unusual appetizers. By themselves they made the meal. For our main course we chose one old favorite and one special. Again, both were excellent; the special surprised us -- new flavors and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous evening at 80 Thoreau!Chris01773VIPDined on 10/1/2014Everything about my birthday celebration at 80 Thoreau was perfect -- excellent service, truly delicious food, great cocktails and wine, and special treats at dessert for my birthday. Thanks Vincent, Ian, and crew for making my birthday dinner memorable...Special Features:
- good experiencelex3Dined on 9/27/2014I would recommend 80 Thoreau mostly for the food and location. THe food was excellent. We were placed near the open kitchen--not the best spot because of all the traffic and noise. Concord is a very pretty town and had plenty of places to park. 80 Thoreau was quite pricey; so we would save it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Love ThoreauOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014We love this place,the food and service are impeccable. Can't speak highly enough about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable, high standardWantstobeimpressedDined on 9/25/2014Been going here off and on for several years - the food has been consistently good. They have always tried to accommodate me even when full. I get the sense these guys care - and it shows. The chef is commendable and inventive. A touch pricey at roughly $70/head for two courses and a few drinks but seems about right for the quality. Long may this restaurant live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Lovely Fall DinnerSkisocksDined on 9/25/2014Had the Duck, loved it. Had the Salmon Pate Loved it. Had a lovely Bottle of Pinot Noir, Loved it. Service was Great, a really lovely evening would recommend highly so much I want to go back and try other things on the Menu. Looking forward to more dinner there in the fall.Special Features:
- great food and locationobrconDined on 9/20/2014great suburban location and impeccable service. Cannot wait to go back. Diverse menu options. Gnoochi lobster appetizer was a table favorite. Pork tenderloin was perfectly cooked. Lamb ragu with whole grain pasta was tender and well seasoned. To difficult to pick best dessert option all were good. Noise was an issue due to kitchen being open to dining room and boisterous party nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concord?SkiDudeDined on 9/20/2014Who knew such a gem was hiding in Concord (although I guess given the large number of very positive reviews you couldn't really say it was "hiding"). One of the best meals I've had in years, and I have the chance to eat at a lot of really nice restaurants while traveling on business. The smoked swordfish pate was delicious, the tuna entree was perfectly seared, the chocolate pudding (w/ figs) was like no chocolate pudding I've ever had before, and the service was impeccable. What more could you ask for in a restaurant?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/201480 Thoreau never disappoints. Food and service are always first rate. If you haven't dined at 80 Thoreau, you definitely should!Special Features:
- Food and Ambience Superb!Hayashi56VIPDined on 9/20/2014I have visited this restaurant many times since last year after my friend recommended it to me. I love the fact that this restaurant is in Concord downtown yet has ample parking. The menu is unique and food is meticulously prepared. Service is A+. To me, this is top 2 restaurants in Concord.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treasure in the Attic2ConcorddinerDined on 9/19/2014I was a bit skeptical climbing the stairs up the old railroad station building, but the service, the coziness of the place, but most of all the food completely shattered any doubts I'd had. The place had a modern warm feel, the service was great, we were not sure about which wine to choose and they were helpful with a few glasses to choose from. The food is just great, the menu reflects the produce of the season, the desserts! they are to die for. I have been there once already a year ago and I am definitely coming back. One thing that I am willing to overlook are the bathrooms. There location is a bit odd.Special Features:
- Wow - GREAT FOOD AGAINRipleyDined on 9/18/2014Delicious, scrumptious, so good, wonderful! I have eaten at 80 Thoreau many times and it never disappoints me! such great tastes and presentation and so so YUMMY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better and betterBosChickVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have been to 80 Thoreau about 5 times in the past year. Every time is a better experience than the one before. Menus have become more exciting and creative, and we are happy to have this lovely place in Concord. Make a reservation, as it's packed every night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small PortionsCarolSDined on 9/18/2014We were a party of four and all agreed that the appetizers and desserts were ridiculously small portioned. I loved the tomato soup, but thought that my main course of tender, but not flavorful, sliced pork tenderloin was disappointing, although the vegetables were creative and very good. My husband liked his tuna main course. Our friends had fish appetizers which they thought were overpriced and included two tiny chunks of bland tasting fish. The raspberry dessert was more of a tasting than a course. We all left still feeling somewhat hungry.Special Features:
- LOVED it.MadameMapDined on 9/18/2014I loved everything about this restaurant. First off, the atmosphere was spectacular. Uniquely modern and sophisticated, yet warm and cozy. The staff was spectacular, too. Very professional and attentive. The food was absolutely delicious. I loved how the menu was so simple. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston-like Dining in the BurbsjohnnypDined on 9/11/2014A pretty good restaurant tucked atop a a few local shops. The place has a sophisticated vibe without being stuffy - granite topped bar, hardwood floors. linen on the tables. We started with the salmon pate and a glass of pinot noir. Both good. For main dishes, we tried the tuna and the pork tenderloin. both were cooked perfectly, presented well, and were quite tasty, the main course complimented by thoughtful and interesting sides. Overall, a solid restaurant that most foodies would enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the very best in New EnglandRobertBVIPDined on 9/9/2014Creative unique menu, quality ingredients, expert preparation, knowledgeable service, excellent wines, open kitchen, beautiful space. 80 Thoreau is our favorite restaurant in New England.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food & serviceFequentdinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014We went here based on the reviews, which were accurate as to this place's quality. Service was friendly, helpful & polite. The food was excellent and the portions fine. Though we ordered only one dessert, we were gifted a 2nd one and also after dinner drinks, which was very generous. The manager and also the sommelier were very helpful and warm. We thanked all of them for the lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceEmilyVIPDined on 9/9/2014We came for a birthday dinner, and had a wonderful time and meal. Chris provided outstanding service, and the food was delicious. My only suggestion for improvement was that I ordered a bottle of champagne to be served at the table when we arrived, and it was, but the gentleman came and poured the champagne without saying a word. It would've been a nice touch to wish a happy birthday, or say what the champagne was for. Not a big deal. We'll definitely return!!Special Features:
- Always a treat1serialdinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014We are always delighted to get to dine here! Love ALL the staff! There's always a delicious new drink on the menu, food menu always changing and so many home made touches, down to the ketchup on the plate with "the world's best burger"! Wish we could be there more often! And, remember to reserve ahead, they fill up early for obvious reasons!Special Features:
- Fantastic!SpinnerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We are regulars at 80 Thoreau, and we recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Young Restaurant w/ Many StrengthsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful grilled fish - a real strength of this menu. The pasta is notable too, as is the wine list. Ask for the Reserve List for some special wines. Finally, the cocktails were made to perfection. We can't say enough good things about this young but very polished restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but....GoldieDined on 9/6/2014My friend and I had a reservation for a Saturday evening at 7PM. The food was excellent, nice blend of flavors and presentation. We split two appetizers, the main course, and a delightful dessert, a perfect amount of food. They were very happy to plate the main course in two. A noisy party of young women voices overwhelmed the restaurant. Even after they left it was not quiet, making it difficult for us to converse easily. The service was shaky. The server gave us more time to look over the drink menu per our request, which we appreciated. The appetizers arrived in a timely fashion but we had to catch our server's attention to bring the main course. That and the noise level took the edge off an otherwise fine dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.