80 Thoreau Street
Concord, MA 01742Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.80thoreau.com/
- Phone: (978) 318-0008
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carolyn Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 80 Thoreau
80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
80 Thoreau - Best Restaurants in Concord, MA ›
80 Thoreau reviews from OpenTable diners
294 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (241)special occasion (194)neighborhood gem (186)romantic (114)notable wine list (89)vibrant bar scene (46)hot spot (39)good for groups (24)late-night find (9)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great for a special night!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014Just lovely in every way. Every bite was delicious ( lobster gnocchi, quail, lamb, hazelnut tart) and the service was without question the best we've experienced, compared to other high- end boston area restaurants. All around terrific night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 80 Thoreau is Excellentmmaynard119Dined on 11/20/201480 Thoreau is one of the best dining spots in all of Metrowest Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best local restaurant in the areaNellVIPDined on 11/19/2014I have dined at 80 Thoreau several times and have never been disappointed. Diners can be assured that everything on the menu is prepared with skill and care and looks beautiful on the plate. It is pricey so, for most, it is a place to go for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnertallprofDined on 11/15/2014We were seated immediately (a few minutes ahead of our reservation). The food and service were excellent. We were seated by the windows. It was a cold night, so the seats were cold. The shape of the ceiling above us reflected the noise from the three people next to us talking constantly in loud voices. We could hardly carry on a coversation ourselves. If we go again, we will ask to be seated at the far end in the middle of the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a classicLuciusDined on 11/15/2014The food and drinks are consistently terrific but the thing that makes 80 Thoreau stand out is the staff. They have to be one of the best bunch of pros I have seen outside of Manhattan. Knowledgable and friendly, they work together with precision and the end result is a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently solid on all frontsHoboVIPDined on 11/13/2014Service is warm and accommodating. Dinner in the bar area is very comfortable and relaxing. And the food itself is consistently good, with usually a standout dish or two. This time my favorite course was the apple sorbet. So perfect for late fall. A great place to dine for a special occasion or just to perk up your week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/201480 Thoreau met and then exceeded our expectations. Thursday night is "date night " for my husband and me, and we decided to go somewhere new. I'm happy that we made that decision. We had the beet salad and lobster gnocchi to start, and they were both superb. I'd originally wanted the pumpkin soup, but I'm allergic to pears and apples. Our server was diligent in inquiring about my allergies and then in ensuring that I not be exposed. I had the swordfish as my main course, and my husband had the chicken. They were both simply yet deliciously prepared. We had the flourless chocolate cake for dessert, with a complimentary serving of corn ice cream. Both were delicious, as was the decaffeinated coffee. Both of the restaurant's owners were on site and both visited tables, often serving or clearing as well. We will return happily to 80 Thoreau and will recommend it to all of our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/12/2014We had the heritage pork specials and were delighted with the presentation and flavor. 80 Thoreau never ceases to amaze us with its high quality food and its friendly and highly talented staff. Every time we go there we are well-served and wind up not only enjoying the food but having a great time. It is our favorite local restaurant by far!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite in the 'burbsMarianneTVIPDined on 11/12/201480 Thoreau quickly became our favorite restaurant in metro west as soon as it opened. We eat there fairly often; the service, drinks, wine and food are always excellent. I love the innovative way they use local, seasonal ingredients. My husband loves the chicken which has always been on the menu!! We appreciate the attention to detail, particularly with the service. It is very hard to find this level of service and care in the suburbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EMFADined on 11/12/2014The food was excellent, the atmosphere very good, the service friendly and helpful. Also lot of parking place around the restaurant. For a first time visitor, it is a pleasant surprise. They must make the entrance a little more prominent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellent.RebeccaVIPDined on 11/11/2014Never fails to be a pleasure. Always an enjoyable and civilized experience. Menu constantly being updated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cm & mcstowma1775Dined on 11/10/2014we had just a wonderful time, got right in great service and food was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for our 25th AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I let them know the occasion when I set the reservation. They had a corner table for us - and greeted us with Champagne! Great food, excellent drinks and wine. Wonderful place to have a special evening!Special Features:
- Great meal, service not so muchBiscodineDined on 11/7/2014Our food was amazing! And the ambience is okay but not cozy or anything if that is what you are looking for. Our waitress on the other hand was rude and totally flat line without a single smile. It made us uncomfortable. We told the host with the bow tie at least 2 times about her. So hopefully they can talk to her so others do not need to feel the same as we did.Special Features:
- As always a very good place to dineConcorDinerDined on 11/7/201480 Thoreau combines ambiance and excellent service with fine cuisine. The only downside is the limited offerings of their menu, which varies and may limit one's favored selections. On this occasion the appetizers and entrees were both excellent, but the desert selections were less than exciting. Still, a great place to dine.Special Features:
- 35th anniversaryJandJDined on 11/3/2014Over the years, there have been four different restaurants - all excellent - at this location. My wife and I went there on our first date, 35 years ago, when it was Cafe l'Orange. It then went through Different Drummer and Aigo's Bistro before becoming 80 Thoreau. We naturally went back to celebrate the 35th anniversary of that first date which, obviously, worked out very well! And so did out dining. We were greeted with two glasses of champagne (I had mentioned this anniversary in the special requests section of my Open Table reservation) and then the waitress guided us through the excellent menu. We've never been disappointed at 80 Thoreau, and look forward to many more anniversaries, special occasions and great dining experience there.Special Features:
- Always fantasticDaveDined on 11/3/2014My wife and I visit 80 Thoreau fairly often, as it is local for us. The menu varies as the local farms' foods do--always something new and interesting to try. The service is excellent, and their corn ice cream (yes, that's right!!) alone is worth making a trip to Concord for!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGSantadanDined on 11/3/2014The food, service and ambiance was more than we expected. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious and Enjoyable!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I returned to 80 Thoreau after several months while visiting from New York, and we had an absolutely fabulous dinner and overall experience. The fall menu is fun and delicious. As if the gnocchi aren't delicious enough on their own, they were paired with lobster and chanterelles for a near divine combination. My husband had the blue cheese custard and grilled & braised lamb and loved both, and I had the perfectly delicate & crispy hake. We were pleasantly surprised to find the bar and dining room buzzing despite our late 9 pm reservation, and must say that 80 Thoreau is one of the best of dining experiences we have had in a long time and rivals our favorites in New York. We will definitely be back next time we are in town!Special Features:
- incredible foodseleneDined on 11/1/2014From the first bite, you know you are in a superb restaurant. Complex and wonderful tastes. Interesting menu. 80 Thoreau is our favorite restaurant. The staff are friendly, the owners are there, the service is perfect as is the ambiance. We ate happy to be there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/31/2014Simply phenomenal! The food and atmosphere are always perfect - you will be blown away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysJoshDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I have been going to 80 Thoreau for a few years now. We are always amazed by the superb quality of food put out by Chef. The top notch service the wait staff provides and the friendly faces we have grown custom to seeing when we walk through the door. Keep up the great work, and we'll see you soon!Special Features:
- Halloween dinner - delicious, entertaininglincolndinerDined on 10/31/2014We had a delightful dinner at 80 Thoreau on Halloween night with staff decked out in costumes. The service was attentive and the food was fabulous. We had the Smoked Bluefish Pate, Pumpkin soup, the swordfish entree, and flourless chocolate cake. All beautifully presented and wonderful statistics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RJRoyDined on 10/28/2014Second time we celebrated our anniversary there...they made it very special once again. Not only is the food great, the service is what sets this restaurant apart from the rest. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceBostonTravelLadyVIPDined on 10/25/201480 Thoreau is a handsome restaurant with very attentive service from a team of staff members. We could only snag the 5:00 reservation but the place was also relaxed enough that we stayed over three and one half hours on a Saturday night while the restaurant was was not only full but very energized. I am vegetarian and asked the kitchen if they would prepare a vegetable plate not on the menu. I was very pleased with their flexibilty and results. My friend ordered the lamb and was equally happy. This is a well-run and well-experienced restaurant that I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOverTheMoonDined on 10/24/2014First visit. Waited 30 minutes past our reservation time. Lively, nice ambience. Service was good once we were seated. Food appearance was better than the taste. First bites did not bring any dreamy sensations. Expected better for the price.Special Features:
- Remarkably consistentJoeBobVIPDined on 10/24/2014We live in the restaurant desert known as Concord. 80 is the only consistently good choice. Went there Friday night for the root vegetable menus. It was inventive, interesting, and the tastes were great. For the first time ever, we had a long delay in getting food. The owners were apologetic and provided more wine when our bottle ran out. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- 80 Thoreau, best in Metro WestCarolSDined on 10/23/2014Soups are always creative and delicious; some of the other choices are tasty but overpriced. Main courses are good with health conscious vegetables, however the food is served lukewarm which is a bit disappointing. Desserts are tasty, not especially creative and the portions are quite small. Glad to have 80 Thoreau for well prepared food in an area bereft of fine dining.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014My wife and I had the root vegetable tasting menu. Not sure why that description attracted us, but so glad it did. Four very creative courses where all ingredients worked well together. Everything was cooked perfectly, service was excellent, and we were treated to new dishes that we would never make at home. We will definitely return, and look forward to the next special tasting menu.Special Features:
- CCladiesDined on 10/22/2014Who would hae thought root vegetables were so yummy? Everything delicious as usual.Special Features:
- Good but not greatsavoryeaterVIPDined on 10/21/2014I'd read great reviews and looked forward to trying 80 Thoreau. The ingredients were good and the dishes were fine but not exciting. Flavors were a bit bland. My husband didn't like his pork tenderloin. Nothing wrong with the pork, but nothing noteworthy about the dish, either. Sometimes restaurants seem to try hard to offer unusual food combinations and unexpected ingredients. That seemed true here, but the results were just ordinary.
- Wine ListAlanDined on 10/21/2014The wine list is not that good. We like Sauvignon Blancs and the best in the world are New Zealand Marlborough Region. They don't have any.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/20/2014Very nice and food was beautiful Really like their wine by the glass selection White burgundy was delicious as was the Portugal red wine my friend had We sat at the bar tables Like better than being out in the middle of the floorSpecial Features:
- I just love 80 ThoreauOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014Consistently great experience...wonderful food, talented chef and kitchen staff, professional, vigilant ownership that is always present. Menu variations that are interesting and worth exploring. Always time and money well-spent.Special Features:
- 80 ThoreauLouiseDined on 10/18/2014We have eaten there many times but for some reason that evening there was a snag in the kitchen and service was really slow. I think our order was lost at one point. The owners were apologetic and I'm sure it was a one time event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!JMHBDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary and were greeted with glasses of champagne as soon as we were seated! The food and drinks were exceptional and the timing of the service was perfect. Our waiter was pleasant and attentive but did not linger...just like we like it! We were so happy we had chosen 80 Thoreau for our special night. Thanks for being part of our celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a restaurant!lopezislandfoodieDined on 10/7/2014Superbly sourced food prepared to perfection in a lovely sophisticated and comfortable setting! The wine list is very well done and cocktails are available. Best of all owners Vincent and Ian are present and charming! The service is perfect. 80 Thoreau is worth a trip to Concord.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world GnocchiAk3487Dined on 10/6/2014I had gnocchi with shrimp and chanterelles, followed by pan-roasted duck with celeriac and kale. Both were excellent, but the gnocchi are simply spectacular: light, airy, so totally different from the usual gluey lumps. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Suburban Gem!BigTastyDined on 10/4/2014Birthday celebration for my wife which I had noted to them prior to arriving, and they provided a great celebration! We enjoyed ourselves and the outstanding food - very fresh! We started with appetizers. Succulent heirloom tomatoes, lobster gnocchi, and smoked salmon pate. All were wonderful. My wife enjoyed the bluefish for her main entree and shared some of my dish. I usually don't get chicken out at a nice restaurant. Waiter suggested it. He had noted it was on the menu since opening and a house specialty. Guidance was spot on! Fantastic meal! Best chicken I have ever had. We will be back!Special Features:
- My favorite place nowdswartzDined on 10/4/2014The service was a teeny bit slow, but hardly badly so. Everything else was outstanding, especially the food!Special Features: