80 Thoreau Street
Concord, MA 01742Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.80thoreau.com/
- Phone: (978) 318-0008
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carolyn Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 80 Thoreau
80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
80 Thoreau - Best Restaurants in Concord, MA ›
80 Thoreau reviews from OpenTable diners
296 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (243)special occasion (195)neighborhood gem (187)romantic (117)notable wine list (89)vibrant bar scene (48)hot spot (38)good for groups (24)late-night find (9)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- susanDined on 8/4/2014The food was excellent. The service was great. I found the menu somewhat limited and overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Summer MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2014Fabulous experience, as always. Great summer menu with some wonderful grilled seafood. Loved the gnocchi with truffles. Can't wait for the annual corn and tomato menu coming up. Service was smooth and unobtrusive. Definitely a restaurant worth returning to.Special Features:
- Not what we expected!DiningOutDined on 8/2/2014This restaruant did not do it for us. We made a reservation for my birthday and requested a nice table. When we arrived, we were placed at a table near the kitchen away from the main dining room. The table felt isolated. It would have been much nicer to have had a seat in the main dining area where other people were dining. The menu on Open Table stated this restaruant had Salmon on its menu. It did not. It had bass. I do not like bass. I decided that I would try their pasta dish which was not very good. My wife had the pork which she liked but did not like the other sides on the dish. I would not return here. I think it is very over rated and is not a first class experience.
- Tomato soup was extraordinaryparsleyVIPDined on 8/1/2014Ordered the tomato soup as a first course and was not disappointed. A large bowl of fresh tomato and herb flavors with a swirl of creme fraiche was amazing. The entree of seared scallops was also a standout. I have been to this restaurant numerous times and it is always consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2014We had a lovely time. The food was great as was the service. We really enjoyed the fact that the noise level was such that we could have an enjoyable conversation without straining to hear one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014What a great restaurant! We had an amazing meal there for my husband's birthday. Service was wonderful, drinks were delicious, and food divine. Best chicken we ever ate, and the pasta was fabulous also. We got to chat with one of the owners, a young man who has done a great job here. He found out it was my husband's birthday, and our desert came with a candle on it. Quietly elegant, no big fuss and thankfully no group song.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad We Finally Found ItDNS1Dined on 7/29/2014No need to rewrite the many highly favorable reviews. So I'll limit this to saying that it was a wonderfully rewarding and relaxing evening, well-spent with a charming waitstaff, awe inspiring food. Truly a gem.Special Features:
- Always excellentluvlocalDined on 7/26/2014We always have great meals here. Most recently the softshell crab; L'pipenanni panna cotta with snap peas, crisp ham and dijon; and the seared gnocchi with truffles and hazelnuts were great as appetizers. The papardelle is always excellent, and the striped bass with chantrelles string beans and fingerling potatoes was wonderful. As a party of 4 we ordered 4 desserts and all were original and delicious: cucumber sorbet (refreshingly tasty), Chocolate Bête Noire (fantastic), souffled lemon custard, and blueberry pudding cake with scrumptious large sweet blueberries. The servings are just the right size, leaving one satisfied but not stuffed. Service is very attentive. We love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Delicious interesting diningApaolinoDined on 7/24/2014Great meal as always here at 80 Thoreau. Interesting combinations and great service!Special Features:
- Thoreau JulyJakeDined on 7/24/2014The food and service were excellent...exceeding that of our last visit. It was a real pleasure to dine in a relaxed and quiet atmosphere, and we'll certainly be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the tripNickVDined on 7/23/2014My main regret is that everything sounded so scrumptious and I only had enough stomach space for one meal. I hope to return to sample more.Special Features:
- The following 1453 reviews are from the 80 Thoreau reviews archive.
- Love 80 ThoreauLeafpeeper2dayVIPDined on 7/22/2014We've been going to 80 Thoreau since it opened and are always happy with the whole experience. The food is amazing. The staff is courteous, efficient, and knowledgeable. Great wine list with great options. Vincent is great at recommending hidden gems. It is a popular place so reservations are recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Excellent dinner experience 3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful every time!ssueDined on 7/18/201480 Thoreau is a treasure! Great food and environment for a special night out.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceCameronDined on 7/18/2014Hadn't been for a while and felt welcomed back be the constant superior level of service and top notch cuisine! A rare gem that has kept it food delicious from it's opening day forward. Seasonal fresh produce, local meat and wonderful wine pairings makes this a restaurant well worth discovering and returning too.Special Features:
- 4tasteDined on 7/18/2014Except for an unusually long wait for the entree, and a high noise level, a first-rate experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014We loved everything we ordered, food was prepared with great care and was just delicious. We ate gnocchi appetizer, mushroom cake, chowder special, and seared scallops. All were excellent. We wished there had been better choices on both the cocktail and dessert menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As excellent as ratedTravelerDined on 7/17/2014This was one of the highest rated restaurants we have ever dined at, and it lived up to the ratings and more. What could be more perfect than spending the afternoon at Walden Pond, then dining at 80Thoreau, although I wonder if Henry would have approved ;)Special Features:
- Cozy, thriving.art4Dined on 7/17/2014As during our previous dining experiences at 80 Thoreau, the food and service were excellent. It's a cozy, thriving place. Perhaps as a result of the restaurant's small quarters, our table for 4 seemed a bit cramped; we had to ask for items to be removed to create enough room to slide our plates completely onto the table. That was the only negative. On the whole, we enjoy frequenting 80 Thoreau.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INCREDIBLEJKBAgassizDined on 7/15/2014First time dining here, but it won't be our last. Everything -- from the attentive (but not cloyingly obsequious) waitstaff to the delectable food (even the plain-sounding "salad with mixed greens" was anything but plain!) -- was just amazing. Wish I could give this more than 5 stars.Special Features:
- Very ConcordpalermoDined on 7/15/2014We had reservations and were seated immediately. Wine was good. Bread and butters was good. Long wait (almost 30 minutes for food to arrive. We were surprised at the wait because when we arrived we passed a row of waiters that reminded me of the lineup of servants at Downton Abbey.) We both has the mixed greens - and we both felt there was too much dressing. My scallops were barely done; four tiny beets were done just right. My husband liked his salmon and kale. coffee was good. Passed on dessert; we didn't have the time. We had an excellent view from our table of the concord train tracks - incoming commuters. Noise level in the restaurant was high; noted how quiet it was on the street after we left the building.Special Features:
- Excellent Cuisine!BillVIPDined on 7/12/2014The gnocchi appetizer was perfect and the striped bass entree was totally delicious. Hands down, this is the best restaurant in the western Boston suburbs. Oh, and the banana profiteroles dessert contained the best banana gelato one could eat!
- favorite local restaurantRob8Dined on 7/11/2014This was my second visit, party of 2. Really the only thing I would criticize is that the food is just a shade too salty, and the wooden chairs get a little tiring. We like 80 Thoreau and look forward to our next special occasion.Special Features:
- Summer sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014Friday nights at 80 Thoreau in the summer are divine. Most of the crowds have left for the mountains or the sea leaving room at the bar and reservations to be had. The gnocchi is always delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Our first time to 80 Thoreau and we were thrilled to come across such a fabulous find !!! Loved the food and everything else~ We will definitely put this on our dining out hit list !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFESDined on 7/10/2014The Duck Confit is my favorite dish here. Great Manhatten's. It is so nice to have a restaurant 0f this quality in Concord where we live.Special Features:
- Love the theme dinners.ilove2eatDined on 7/10/2014We did the striped bass theme dinner with the special menu. Everything was delicious !! ... loved the chowder... best ever!Special Features:
- Concord MAPJohnDined on 7/9/2014Great local restaurant. Not easy to get into - always quite full. This time we sat nearer to the bar, it was after 8:30pm and it was a bit on the loud side but the food and service as always was excellent.Special Features:
- Another great meal at 80 ThoreauKellyfamDined on 7/9/2014Invited out of town guests to 80 Thoreau. We all had a great meal experience. Chicken, pork, salmon were all cooked perfectly. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence ContinuespopsDined on 7/7/2014Another tasty evening at 80. The soft shell crab was pertfectly prepared and the mains (stripee bass and veal) were delicious. Service and wine selection were also unparalled. A salute to all on this team!Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceBoxBeeDined on 7/2/2014I'd been to 80 Thoreau for drinks and appetizers before and it was wonderful. I couldn't wait to have dinner there, and my expectations were exceeded. From cocktails to appetizers to entrees to dessert, every dish was excellent. The service was truly outstanding. On a Wednesday night, the place was nearly full. Yet each and every staff member made us feel as if we were their only and highest priority.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concord's Best!FergieDined on 6/30/2014I've eaten at 80 Thoreau twice. Excellent starters and entres! Our party of 4 enjoyed bass, sea scallops, and salmon dishes. The sauce with the bass was exceptional. Finally Concord has a fine restaurant that is high quality, has very good service, but is not pretentious.Special Features:
- Celebratory dinnerFinediningfor4Dined on 6/30/2014I took clients of mine to dinner to celebrate their first purchase of a home. We sat in the back with the view of the train which was fun. Our waiter was exceptional. He suggested cocktails based on what we liked. Our starters were excellent I got the gnocchi. The grilled veal was amazing. And our desserts were wonderful. This is clearly fine dining without having to get dressed up. This was my second visit and look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Loved everythingFood4thoughtDined on 6/27/2014My friends and I loved the restaurant, service and the food. We eat out often at fine restaurants in Boston and this is one of our favorites now. Everything we ordered from apps to dessert was an artistic creation with a mix of wonderful flavors that melted together beautifully. Food was fabulous. Service was great-efficient and happy. We were able to converse. It was very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/24/2014I moved from Cambridge to Concord last month and have now enjoyed 80 Thoreau's delicious food twice. I don't think I've had better anywhere in the Boston area. They do everything phenomenally well.Special Features:
- Our Favorite Local RestaurantCookieVIPDined on 6/21/2014Food is consistently wonderful here, as is the service. We dine here regularly so it would be nice if the menu changed a bit more frequently, but the food and drinks are always excellent. We loved the new soft shell crab appetizer! Duck confit is always perfect too!Special Features:
- Remains A Favorite!Gramps09VIPDined on 6/21/201480 Thoreau remains a favorite restaurant for us: a varied menu, which changes with the seasons; inventive pairings; and big flavors. Definitely a crowd pleaser.Special Features:
- Frank JoynerFrankVIPDined on 6/21/201480 Thoreau was nice enough to have donated a dinner for 4, with wine, to a silent auction for a local charity. Knowing from past experience dining with them how good the food and service were, we were delighted to have made the successful bid. Though the service and food have always been exceptional, this time the service was even better. They asked what kind of wine we enjoyed and then selected for us a white wine from the Gavi region of Italy that was excellent and went well with the meals selected by all four of us. As always with them, the food was exceptional and the extra care they took to make the experience enjoyable made it especially so.Special Features:
- Still going strongOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/20/2014Had another perfect meal at 80 Thoreau. Service was timely but not pushy even though we were an early seating on a Friday evening. The always-changing menu gives us reason to return regularly.Special Features:
- Concord surpriselucca3Dined on 6/19/2014Watch the MBTA Fitchberg line trains roll in through the windows of this second story restaurant located over the old train station. Very much enjoyed the meal and wine selection. The menu is limited, but varied and of high quality and beautifully presented. Service was excellent. Noise level moderate enough to allow for easy and enjoyable conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.