80 Thoreau Street
Concord, MA 01742Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.80thoreau.com/
- Phone: (978) 318-0008
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carolyn Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 80 Thoreau
80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
80 Thoreau - Best Restaurants in Concord, MA ›
80 Thoreau reviews from OpenTable diners
295 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (241)special occasion (198)neighborhood gem (185)romantic (117)notable wine list (92)vibrant bar scene (46)hot spot (39)good for groups (23)late-night find (9)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- My favorite place nowdswartzDined on 10/4/2014The service was a teeny bit slow, but hardly badly so. Everything else was outstanding, especially the food!Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantliketoeatDined on 10/3/2014We've been to 80 Thoreau several times in the last few months and each time has been super. The service was great, and the food was really exceptional. We generally dine out in Boston, but this place rivals any of the places we goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 80 Thoreau serves a wonderful mealrehEatsDined on 10/1/2014We had two amazingly good and unusual appetizers. By themselves they made the meal. For our main course we chose one old favorite and one special. Again, both were excellent; the special surprised us -- new flavors and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous evening at 80 Thoreau!Chris01773VIPDined on 10/1/2014Everything about my birthday celebration at 80 Thoreau was perfect -- excellent service, truly delicious food, great cocktails and wine, and special treats at dessert for my birthday. Thanks Vincent, Ian, and crew for making my birthday dinner memorable...Special Features:
- good experiencelex3Dined on 9/27/2014I would recommend 80 Thoreau mostly for the food and location. THe food was excellent. We were placed near the open kitchen--not the best spot because of all the traffic and noise. Concord is a very pretty town and had plenty of places to park. 80 Thoreau was quite pricey; so we would save it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Love ThoreauOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014We love this place,the food and service are impeccable. Can't speak highly enough about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable, high standardWantstobeimpressedDined on 9/25/2014Been going here off and on for several years - the food has been consistently good. They have always tried to accommodate me even when full. I get the sense these guys care - and it shows. The chef is commendable and inventive. A touch pricey at roughly $70/head for two courses and a few drinks but seems about right for the quality. Long may this restaurant live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Lovely Fall DinnerSkisocksDined on 9/25/2014Had the Duck, loved it. Had the Salmon Pate Loved it. Had a lovely Bottle of Pinot Noir, Loved it. Service was Great, a really lovely evening would recommend highly so much I want to go back and try other things on the Menu. Looking forward to more dinner there in the fall.Special Features:
- great food and locationobrconDined on 9/20/2014great suburban location and impeccable service. Cannot wait to go back. Diverse menu options. Gnoochi lobster appetizer was a table favorite. Pork tenderloin was perfectly cooked. Lamb ragu with whole grain pasta was tender and well seasoned. To difficult to pick best dessert option all were good. Noise was an issue due to kitchen being open to dining room and boisterous party nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concord?SkiDudeDined on 9/20/2014Who knew such a gem was hiding in Concord (although I guess given the large number of very positive reviews you couldn't really say it was "hiding"). One of the best meals I've had in years, and I have the chance to eat at a lot of really nice restaurants while traveling on business. The smoked swordfish pate was delicious, the tuna entree was perfectly seared, the chocolate pudding (w/ figs) was like no chocolate pudding I've ever had before, and the service was impeccable. What more could you ask for in a restaurant?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/201480 Thoreau never disappoints. Food and service are always first rate. If you haven't dined at 80 Thoreau, you definitely should!Special Features:
- Food and Ambience Superb!Hayashi56VIPDined on 9/20/2014I have visited this restaurant many times since last year after my friend recommended it to me. I love the fact that this restaurant is in Concord downtown yet has ample parking. The menu is unique and food is meticulously prepared. Service is A+. To me, this is top 2 restaurants in Concord.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treasure in the Attic2ConcorddinerDined on 9/19/2014I was a bit skeptical climbing the stairs up the old railroad station building, but the service, the coziness of the place, but most of all the food completely shattered any doubts I'd had. The place had a modern warm feel, the service was great, we were not sure about which wine to choose and they were helpful with a few glasses to choose from. The food is just great, the menu reflects the produce of the season, the desserts! they are to die for. I have been there once already a year ago and I am definitely coming back. One thing that I am willing to overlook are the bathrooms. There location is a bit odd.Special Features:
- Wow - GREAT FOOD AGAINRipleyDined on 9/18/2014Delicious, scrumptious, so good, wonderful! I have eaten at 80 Thoreau many times and it never disappoints me! such great tastes and presentation and so so YUMMY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better and betterBosChickVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have been to 80 Thoreau about 5 times in the past year. Every time is a better experience than the one before. Menus have become more exciting and creative, and we are happy to have this lovely place in Concord. Make a reservation, as it's packed every night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small PortionsCarolSDined on 9/18/2014We were a party of four and all agreed that the appetizers and desserts were ridiculously small portioned. I loved the tomato soup, but thought that my main course of tender, but not flavorful, sliced pork tenderloin was disappointing, although the vegetables were creative and very good. My husband liked his tuna main course. Our friends had fish appetizers which they thought were overpriced and included two tiny chunks of bland tasting fish. The raspberry dessert was more of a tasting than a course. We all left still feeling somewhat hungry.Special Features:
- LOVED it.MadameMapDined on 9/18/2014I loved everything about this restaurant. First off, the atmosphere was spectacular. Uniquely modern and sophisticated, yet warm and cozy. The staff was spectacular, too. Very professional and attentive. The food was absolutely delicious. I loved how the menu was so simple. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston-like Dining in the BurbsjohnnypDined on 9/11/2014A pretty good restaurant tucked atop a a few local shops. The place has a sophisticated vibe without being stuffy - granite topped bar, hardwood floors. linen on the tables. We started with the salmon pate and a glass of pinot noir. Both good. For main dishes, we tried the tuna and the pork tenderloin. both were cooked perfectly, presented well, and were quite tasty, the main course complimented by thoughtful and interesting sides. Overall, a solid restaurant that most foodies would enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the very best in New EnglandRobertBVIPDined on 9/9/2014Creative unique menu, quality ingredients, expert preparation, knowledgeable service, excellent wines, open kitchen, beautiful space. 80 Thoreau is our favorite restaurant in New England.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food & serviceFequentdinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014We went here based on the reviews, which were accurate as to this place's quality. Service was friendly, helpful & polite. The food was excellent and the portions fine. Though we ordered only one dessert, we were gifted a 2nd one and also after dinner drinks, which was very generous. The manager and also the sommelier were very helpful and warm. We thanked all of them for the lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceEmilyVIPDined on 9/9/2014We came for a birthday dinner, and had a wonderful time and meal. Chris provided outstanding service, and the food was delicious. My only suggestion for improvement was that I ordered a bottle of champagne to be served at the table when we arrived, and it was, but the gentleman came and poured the champagne without saying a word. It would've been a nice touch to wish a happy birthday, or say what the champagne was for. Not a big deal. We'll definitely return!!Special Features:
- Always a treat1serialdinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014We are always delighted to get to dine here! Love ALL the staff! There's always a delicious new drink on the menu, food menu always changing and so many home made touches, down to the ketchup on the plate with "the world's best burger"! Wish we could be there more often! And, remember to reserve ahead, they fill up early for obvious reasons!Special Features:
- Fantastic!SpinnerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We are regulars at 80 Thoreau, and we recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Young Restaurant w/ Many StrengthsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful grilled fish - a real strength of this menu. The pasta is notable too, as is the wine list. Ask for the Reserve List for some special wines. Finally, the cocktails were made to perfection. We can't say enough good things about this young but very polished restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but....GoldieDined on 9/6/2014My friend and I had a reservation for a Saturday evening at 7PM. The food was excellent, nice blend of flavors and presentation. We split two appetizers, the main course, and a delightful dessert, a perfect amount of food. They were very happy to plate the main course in two. A noisy party of young women voices overwhelmed the restaurant. Even after they left it was not quiet, making it difficult for us to converse easily. The service was shaky. The server gave us more time to look over the drink menu per our request, which we appreciated. The appetizers arrived in a timely fashion but we had to catch our server's attention to bring the main course. That and the noise level took the edge off an otherwise fine dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RayJ336Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful experience yet again...very flavorful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top foodNewmexdexDined on 9/5/2014Great food served perfectly. Portions are moderate, but everything is meticulously prepared and presented. Seasoning is tasteful, but not overly intense. Ingredients used are of the highest quality.Special Features:
- Fantastic BurgerBergieDined on 9/3/201480 Thoreau has a lot going for it and a very interesting menu that changes seasonally. I had their hamburger (medium rare) last night off the bar menu. It was fantastic and you have to try it! Get the fried pickles as well...Special Features:
- Always a winnerLeafpeeper2dayVIPDined on 9/3/201480 Thoreau is one of our favorite restaurants. While the menu is short, it has a broad range of flavors. I would like to see a few more options of vegetarian fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upstairs at 80 ThoreauDebonaireDined on 9/3/201480 Thoreau is hidden gem that has it all. The food is excellent and the wait staff are friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. I look forward to my next dining experience there in the the near future.Special Features:
- Delicious Anniversary DinnerStrudelMeisterDined on 8/30/2014My husband celebrated our wedding anniversary here and sat in dining area nearest the bar (about 30 seats) The entrance is very discreet -like a speakeasy in the 1920's (which added to its appeal). I had not realized that it was "Dining Week" (options tend to be dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience -less selection) However our 3 course meal ($38/pp) was top notch. My husband is a (fresh/local) tomato fanatic and really enjoyed the heirloom tomato app. The bluefish entree was especially delicious( (crispy outside & briny inside) The desserts were the perfect (small bite) size & still enough to share. Only downside was that tables were very close together (shared conversations / challenging to get in/out) We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love 80 Thoreau!clhloves80ThoreauDined on 8/30/2014We've had dinner at 80 Thoreau around 8 times now... the service, ambiance, and of course the food is always wonderful, and this last time was no exception...from the fun cocktails to the perfectly cooked roasted chicken and fresh bluefish to the just-enough sweet desserts. The panacotta appetizer was particularly good, with lovely texture and flavors on the side to match. I always feel satisfied after the meal, feeling both comfortably fed and having a reasonable bill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A restaurant week delightBlivetDined on 8/29/2014We were four out for the final night of restaurant week. The choices on the prix fixe menu all sounded interesting and the restaurant also offered a special appetizer and dessert off the menu - unusual for a restaurant week dinner. The waitstaff were knowledgeable and attentive. The courses were presented beautifully and all that we selected was flavorful. There were unusual wines on the list and the sommelier made suggestions to compliment our meals across a broad price range. Love the open kitchen. All in all, a great experience - we will be back!Special Features:
- SueHVIPDined on 8/29/2014We went during restaurant week and the food was amazing. The chef and the entire staff pay attention to every detail, making for a very special dining experience.Special Features:
- Always amazing!MsanDined on 8/29/201480 Thoreau is my favorite. In my opinion its service and menue surpasses more expensive restaurants in boston.Special Features:
- Creative CookingwillypaulDined on 8/29/201480 Thoreau is a real find in the West Suburban quality restaurant desert. The cuisine is imaginative, creative, and made of fresh high quality ingredients. Moderately expensive but well worth the expense for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- globaldinerDined on 8/28/201480 Thoreau was a treat! We had heard about this restaurant, all favorable, and found our experience to be the same. Very tasty, innovative menu, superb (really!!) service, and surprisingly, reasonably priced wines. The atmosphere was lovely, much as one would expect in an intimate bistro in an elegant area. While their regular menu is a bit pricy for us, we would dine here again in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a hitpennyDined on 8/27/201480 thoreau is an oasis for Concordians looking for a downtown Boston fine dinner without the hassle of a commute. You get what you pay for. Service is white table cloth, attentive, but leisurely. The food is fresh and delicious, carefully prepared and, as always, we enoyed every bite. I have NEVER had such a delicious tomato bisque as I recently had - it was perfect - not too salty, with just a hint of chili. Sublime. Their boulangerie style bread and artisinal butter is a meal in itslef. (The wine list is good- but apppears to have no Australian selections. Too bad. Aussie pinot chardonnay sparkling wines are superb as an aperitif and a good Barossa Shiraz is perfect with red meat.) I also hope they have oysters next time I go : )Special Features:
- greatfoodisgoodDined on 8/26/2014Great service, food was unusual and delicious. We went for restaurant week and we will go again for sure!Special Features:
- Another outstanding meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/26/2014Time and time again, 80 Thoreau offers us delicious food and outstanding hospitality---all at a great price, especially during Restaurant Week! For those interested in wine, the restaurant offers a special list of exemplary wines...let Ian and Vincent guide you! Thank you again for caring for us!Special Features: