80 Thoreau Street
Concord, MA 01742Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.80thoreau.com/
- Phone: 9783180008x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carolyn Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 80 Thoreau
80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
80 Thoreau - Best Restaurants in Concord, MA ›
80 Thoreau reviews from OpenTable diners
287 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (226)special occasion (188)neighborhood gem (167)romantic (96)notable wine list (78)vibrant bar scene (44)hot spot (24)good for groups (23)late-night find (8)scenic view (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Delicious Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014My husband celebrated our wedding anniversary here and sat in dining area nearest the bar (about 30 seats) The entrance is very discreet -like a speakeasy in the 1920's (which added to its appeal). I had not realized that it was "Dining Week" (options tend to be dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience -less selection) However our 3 course meal ($38/pp) was top notch. My husband is a (fresh/local) tomato fanatic and really enjoyed the heirloom tomato app. The bluefish entree was especially delicious( (crispy outside & briny inside) The desserts were the perfect (small bite) size & still enough to share. Only downside was that tables were very close together (shared conversations / challenging to get in/out) We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love 80 Thoreau!clhloves80ThoreauDined on 8/30/2014We've had dinner at 80 Thoreau around 8 times now... the service, ambiance, and of course the food is always wonderful, and this last time was no exception...from the fun cocktails to the perfectly cooked roasted chicken and fresh bluefish to the just-enough sweet desserts. The panacotta appetizer was particularly good, with lovely texture and flavors on the side to match. I always feel satisfied after the meal, feeling both comfortably fed and having a reasonable bill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A restaurant week delightBlivetDined on 8/29/2014We were four out for the final night of restaurant week. The choices on the prix fixe menu all sounded interesting and the restaurant also offered a special appetizer and dessert off the menu - unusual for a restaurant week dinner. The waitstaff were knowledgeable and attentive. The courses were presented beautifully and all that we selected was flavorful. There were unusual wines on the list and the sommelier made suggestions to compliment our meals across a broad price range. Love the open kitchen. All in all, a great experience - we will be back!Special Features:
- SueHVIPDined on 8/29/2014We went during restaurant week and the food was amazing. The chef and the entire staff pay attention to every detail, making for a very special dining experience.Special Features:
- Always amazing!MsanDined on 8/29/201480 Thoreau is my favorite. In my opinion its service and menue surpasses more expensive restaurants in boston.Special Features:
- Creative CookingwillypaulDined on 8/29/201480 Thoreau is a real find in the West Suburban quality restaurant desert. The cuisine is imaginative, creative, and made of fresh high quality ingredients. Moderately expensive but well worth the expense for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- globaldinerDined on 8/28/201480 Thoreau was a treat! We had heard about this restaurant, all favorable, and found our experience to be the same. Very tasty, innovative menu, superb (really!!) service, and surprisingly, reasonably priced wines. The atmosphere was lovely, much as one would expect in an intimate bistro in an elegant area. While their regular menu is a bit pricy for us, we would dine here again in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a hitpennyDined on 8/27/201480 thoreau is an oasis for Concordians looking for a downtown Boston fine dinner without the hassle of a commute. You get what you pay for. Service is white table cloth, attentive, but leisurely. The food is fresh and delicious, carefully prepared and, as always, we enoyed every bite. I have NEVER had such a delicious tomato bisque as I recently had - it was perfect - not too salty, with just a hint of chili. Sublime. Their boulangerie style bread and artisinal butter is a meal in itslef. (The wine list is good- but apppears to have no Australian selections. Too bad. Aussie pinot chardonnay sparkling wines are superb as an aperitif and a good Barossa Shiraz is perfect with red meat.) I also hope they have oysters next time I go : )Special Features:
- greatfoodisgoodDined on 8/26/2014Great service, food was unusual and delicious. We went for restaurant week and we will go again for sure!Special Features:
- Another outstanding meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/26/2014Time and time again, 80 Thoreau offers us delicious food and outstanding hospitality---all at a great price, especially during Restaurant Week! For those interested in wine, the restaurant offers a special list of exemplary wines...let Ian and Vincent guide you! Thank you again for caring for us!Special Features:
- The Service is ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014I recommend this restaurant for special occasions. It is expensive on a normal basis, I just didn't make a good selection for the restaurant week menu.Special Features:
- NancyGoodEatsDined on 8/26/2014You won't know the menu until you get there. If you love to try new things this is the place. They were even accomidating to some minor adjustments. Be ready to spend 2+ hours eating a three course meal. Everything was cooked perfectly and very flavorful. The close proximity to the train station added a unque experience to the evening. The staff was fantastic water was always full, presentation A+, and they checked on us regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014The food and service was absolutely amazing. I would recommend this place to anyone. It is a great place for special occasions or a romantic night out.Special Features:
- A Delight Right Outside Bostonvkx1984Dined on 8/23/2014The ambiance is warm and welcoming in this old converted train station. The entrance is nondescript and first-timers may walk right by it but for the menu outside the door. They've done amazing work inside, and the front of the place has an intimate lounge feel while the back has a full view of the kitchen and a great, small, energetic restaurant look and sound. The wait staff is so courteous and knowledgeable--at our last experience, one of our party was vegetarian and our waitress had no problem recommending the lasagna without the Lamb ragu as still perfectly delicious, which it was. The sommelier saw me eying the wine list and came right over to help. The food itself was unbelievable, fresh, creative without being unfamiliar. Amazing.Special Features:
- DeliciousFreddieHubbardDined on 8/23/2014Nice spot for a date. Friendly staff and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 8/23/2014The dinners were very well designed and executed with subtle and delicious flavors. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and of the highest quality. The almond cake dessert was outstanding.Special Features:
- annnicholsDined on 8/23/2014Lasagne was bland,could have done with more vegetables.My pork loin was tepid and a bit pink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary Dinner!specialdinnerDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed all the food and drinks. Everything was presented so beautifully and by very attentive staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent ExcellenceEatsinconcordVIPDined on 8/22/2014What can I say, another fantastic meal at 80T. Service was unreal and the food to die for. Can't say enough, glad it's right down the street.Special Features:
- Always excellentansolomDined on 8/22/2014We have been to 80 Thoreau several times and have always enjoyed our dishes. The menu includes the freshest seasonal ingredients prepared and presented beautifully and deliciously. The service is always great: friendly and helpful but not disruptive or unctuous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to TableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014One of the finest farm to table gems in the Metro BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!ForTheLoveOfFoodDined on 8/22/2014Definitely a haven for foodies. Loved it. Reserved already for New Years!! Staff were so knowledgable and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but beautifulvoomelDined on 8/20/2014Limited menu so look it up Before hand. Hard to find. Overly interiorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Concord gemNHBobDined on 8/20/2014It is rare that I find a dining experience flawless but this recently happened at 80 Thoreau. Creative cuisine, perhaps best classified as "New American", a well conceived wine list, and excellent service were all on display. The very fair price quality ratio of the food and wine make this a suburban no brainer. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Well done!cleanplatecaraDined on 8/20/2014Although we visited during Restaurant Week, the service was the caliber we would expect when paying full price for a nice evening out. We were pleased that there was a breather between courses and no effort to rush us out, which is sometimes the case during busy evenings elsewhere. Very glad we chose this for Restaurant Week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/19/2014We had a delicious restaurant week meal at 80 Thoreau...3 courses for $38. I had the sword fish with grilled peaches and a grain salad...plenty to eat and a delicious combination. Recently the meals have been wonderful. It won't disappoint!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week MenuKG123Dined on 8/19/2014Love going to this spot and could not resist a visit during restaurant week. Menu selections were terrific. There was even a special appetizer selection which was outstanding (Gnocci). I am partial to their chicken which was wonderfully done but the others at my table had the lasagna which was outstanding! Look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- AndyDined on 8/19/2014Great experience and a wonderful place to celebrate a wedding anniversary!Special Features:
- A Decent Restaurant at LastWaitOnMeDined on 8/19/2014Have lived in the "food desert" of Concord for over thirty years and take great joy in having a restaurant where the food and service are superb. They can make tomato soup memorable. The bread is divine. The swordfish perfect. The brandade fritters subtle and excellent. Sampled another Concord eatery recently and wanted to send the staff back for retraining. Here the service was attentive, pleasant, and well-timed.Special Features:
- Diamond in the RoughAndiDined on 8/19/2014Our first time dining here during restaurant week. Very glad we tried it and look forward to oing back to try their menu. I like the fact they have a bar menu as well. Wonderful attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- Trendy spot in ConcordDD19Dined on 8/18/2014First time trying 80 Thoreau and pleasantly surprised. Cool interior, nice bar, excellent food. Only minor issue (as noted in other reviews) is the time between courses was a bit long. We were hanging out with good friends so we didn't mind, but might annoy some people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Treat.EricDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is a gem. The food and service are always top notch. Wished we lived closer to Concord, so we could go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014We had a great meal and the serve was excellent. If the corn ice is on the menu, get it!Special Features:
- A little slow this timeOpenStudioVIPDined on 8/16/2014This time it was a little disappointing. I had requested a seat by the train window but instead we were seated in a corner next to the kitchen. The food was excellent as always, however the service was excruciatingly slow. We waited over an hour between the appetizers and the main meal. I noticed that on every table there was no food. Since we were next to the kitchen we could smell the fish cooking and kept thinking "any minute" but it was not to be. Don't know what was going on because it's not usually like that. Will probably go back but not so soon.Special Features:
- 80 Thoreau - First ClassBonVivantDined on 8/16/2014A top notch restaurant. My favorite. Owners Ian Sinclair and Vincent Vela, and Chef de Cuisine Carolyn Johnson have created a culinary and social treasure in a treasure of a town.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerLisaTDined on 8/15/2014We went to celebrate my daughter's departure for senior year in college and had one of the best meals ever. All three of us savored each of our distinctive courses, sharing a bit of everything: pork tenderloin, bluefish, and the paparadelle with lamb ragu. The salads were delectable and I particularly enjoyed the baby kale with grilled cherries. We even celebrated with dessert, sharing the corncake with tomato strawberry ice cream which had such an interesting combination of flavors. Everything was fresh and well-prepared. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great food awful serviceNoFinerDinerDined on 8/15/2014First off, the food was excellent. My wife’s steak was one of the best we’ve had anywhere. The service however, was quite possibly the worst we have ever encountered. Our waitress was completely clueless about the menu and the overall timing of when they brought our dishes was unfathomable. Too long a wait between dishes, no checking with us, etc. We felt completely ignored while the staff completely fawned over the couple next to us. On leaving, they did “slip” my wife a $50 gift certificate but without any explanation or apology. I doubt we'll return to redeem it.
- Great food in a quiet spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014We went for the corn and tomato menu which was excellent. 80 Thoreau is a quiet spot, a place to relax over conversation and great food.Special Features:
- 80 Thoreau247foodieDined on 8/15/2014Exquisite presentation of farm-to-table inspired cuisine. Knowledgeable and professional wait staff, impeccable timing. Pre-fixe 4-course meal was the option we chose (tomato-and-corn theme, with pan seared bluefish entree--heavenly!) paired with a perfect Pinot Noir, although the limited menu offered several other tempting a la carte options as well. We were seated at window table in further dining area overlooking commuter rail arrivals; quite enjoyable. Front dining room included unobtrusive but lively bar area. Lovely contemporary white-tablecloth ambience all on 2nd floor of former depot. Worth every cent. A return trip is definitely on our agenda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful food.boneVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have eaten at 80 Thoreau more than several times. This evening was to celebrate a special occasion so I requested the chef's table which are four seats with a view of the fantastic incredibly designed kitchen. It was a treat to watch half a dozen chefs create the beautifully presented and delicious food. It was like watching a dance. Did I mention that the food was perfect as usual. I have never eaten anything from this kitchen that was not perfect in terms of being able to taste the fresh and wonderful combination of ingredients. The soups are always amazingly aromatic and wonderful. Although I am an absolute fan of the chef's chicken, I tried the sea bass which was perfectly seared and plated. Don't miss the chocolate dessert!Special Features: