8 Block Kitchen & Bar
601 Loyola Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70113Neighborhood:
Central Business District
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
8 Block Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://neworleans.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/entertainment/restaurants/index.jsp#42621669
- Phone: (504) 613-3850
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm;
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 12:00pm;
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: Closed;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Damidot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: The private dining space seats up to 30 guests in a sleek setting directly adjacent to the kitchen. With private views of the chefs at work and quick access from the kitchen, events will have flawless execution.
A word from 8 Block Kitchen & Bar
8 Block Kitchen & Bar pays homage to the eight blocks that comprise Upper Bourbon Street in the French Quarter, one of the city’s most iconic and historic attractions known for local culture and classic cuisine.Serving breakfast and lunch this restaurant offers a menu of local, seasonally inspired dishes that fuses traditional New Orleans style with international flair Chef Eric Damidot has acquired throughout his career. Diners are invited to start their day with delectable warm dishes from the breakfast buffet or sample the a la carte menu, which features Fried Oyster Eggs Benedict and classic New Orleans Beignets. Lunch specialties include New Orleans staples such as Garlic and Pepper Crusted Gulf Shrimp, Grilled Cajun Black Drum Fish and the city’s famed Muffaletta sandwich. Additionally, 8 Block Kitchen & Bar offers tantalizing beverages, including hand-squeezed lemonades, crafted iced teas, fresh juices and vintage-inspired cocktails to complement every meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
8 Block Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)fit for foodies (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Happy 29th Birthday to me! BZMDB11rthdayLady29Dined on 11/11/2014This restaurant has great and authentic New Orleans and French-style dishes. The line is kept fresh and hot and the waitress was spectacular! I wish the crab cakes and the chocolate mousse were on the menu always, but the food was still great. The salad bar is extensive and the sandwich bar was surprising and refreshing to see! For all the picky diners who love to see something familiar in a sea of newness. The chocolate and original bread pudding was kept warm and succulent. The variety of sauces to pour over the top was sinfully delicious. As New Orleans natives, my family and I were not disappointed. Thank you for this dining experience on my 29th birthday! And thanks to the waitress who prepared the special ice cream dish for me!Special Features:
- Great atmospheresillygirlDined on 10/8/2014The atmosphere and service was amazing. Our only complaint was - the hot entree food was cold and tasted soapy as well as the side dishes. We really enjoyed the salad bar and the desert station. A little pricey but if they work on keeping their hot entrees hot then I will be back.Special Features:
- Pre Game FestivitiesVbenthereDined on 9/21/2014The restaurant was very clean with a professional atmosphere. The wait staff were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical hotel restaurantSaintsFan1Dined on 9/21/2014Was looking for a quick and convenient place to grab a breakfast/brunch before a Saints game and chose this restaurant for it's breakfast and brunch buffet, but was sadly disappointed. With the exception of the omelet station all of the hot selections were barely lukewarm. The only good thing was the cold selection of meats and cheeses. Nothing more than a typical hotel restaurant.Special Features:
- Very Attentive StaffkayjayDined on 9/12/2014We celebrated a coworker's birthday. The staff had our table ready and very attentive throughout our meal. Buffet was good. Entree items were good-not great.Can also order entrees cooked to order. Delicious dessert choices. They even had milkshakes to order to celebrate National Milkshake Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 32 reviews are from the 8 Block Kitchen & Bar reviews archive.
- bad choicemikeymikeDined on 7/23/2014we had the breakfast buffet. the food was cold, service was bad. all they had to do was refill drinks and they didn't do that unless we tracked them down to do so.
- breakfast/brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2014good for breakfast thankful the restaurant opened at 6:30 a.m. friendly, attentive staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible for New OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/5/2014Really not something you should take a client to. Ok if you want lunch for yourself I guess, but not that great.
- 8-Block Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014Variety of selections was good. The scrambled eggs were obviously not made from fresh eggs. Need to to keep the selections looking fresher. There was dried out food in some of the dishes. Our server was attentive and pleasant. There needs to be at least a limited menu for those who don't want to do a buffett. Especially since this is the only full-service restaurant in the hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- graduation brunchpgrbocaDined on 5/17/2014this restaurant had openings for a reservation following a graduation so i grabbed the opportunity. when i booked, i didn't realize it was only a buffet, but the waitress informed me that there were two pricing tiers, one with hot items and one without. the food was pretty good and as it was a buffet, the service was somewhat lacking. the help was pleasant, just not very available. all in the party were very satisfied after lunch and if necessary, we would go back again.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchsweetcakesDined on 5/11/2014The service was excellent. We were with a wide range of ages and there was def something for everyone. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expansive buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day. Great for mom, great for the kids. The single stem rose added a nice touch. Pricey, but the dessert display alone is worth the price of admission.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperiencedawnDined on 5/11/2014For a party of 13 adults, on mother's day no less, we had a fantastic experience here. The brunch was what these North Easterners were accustomed to -- and more! I would recommend anyone going here. The setting was elegant, the food top notch (even for some of the foodies in our group who are hard to impress) and it was raved about by all. It's never easy to please that many people, so that tells you something about this place. Would absolutely recommend.Special Features:
- First experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014The salad bar was great. The gumbo and crab soup was mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EastHappyfoodieDined on 4/20/2014An undiscovered jewel for Easter brunch we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Reveillon DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013The selection wasn't as vast as it appeared to be on paper. The food that was available was good but it was all cold.
- Wide choice for family membersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2013Went on Christmas Day brunch - good selection of choices for family members with wide range of tastes. Nice ambiance, very quiet, was fine for the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food; Snooty, lazy serversOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013For the price, I expect fabulous service even for a buffet. First, upon being seated, we were not told who would be serving us nor offered beverages. 10 minutes later, no one had addressed our table. When our server finally arrived, she did not greet us or introduce herself. For 3 diners, our bill was $184 and we never got water glasses filled. A 20% tip amounts to $36 .... only to be completely ignored throughout dinner. The food was well-prepared but nothing makes up for the rude lack of service. Perhaps she was having a bad day.
- Great Service!!!!loved8blockDined on 12/20/2013The kitchen staff brought out three seafood platters for my staff and I, which was greatly appreciated. We truly enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedRaulDined on 11/28/2013The restaurant is very nice, clean, and is a pretty place, but I was not happy with the food. The food was good in the sense that it was the traditional dishes for Thanksgiving Day, but this is a very special ocassion and we were booked for 4PM, being there we noticed that was the last appointment available, my party was practically alone in the restaurant and we get practically the left overs of turkey and dissert. On top of that we got interrupted because of a false fire alarm. No discounts were offered nor complimentary stuff. We all just got an "I am sorry". The total charge was very expensive considering the quality of the food. During my stay at NOLA this week I got into better places, better served food (not buffett). Not good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CBD Lunch OptionCBDlunchDined on 11/21/2013CBD staff visited for holiday luncheon. Everyone enjoyed the variety on the lunch buffet (fish, chicken, beef dishes). The service is definitely spotty- we had a reservation made a week in advance and still waited 15-20 minutes for our table to be prepared; no offers were made for drink refills or to check on our meal, yet the gratuity was added in advance. Very tasty food, but service needs work.Special Features:
- Good RelaxingTamTDined on 10/23/2013Nice spot to have a quiet lunch for a good wind down. Also a good variety of food to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't overlook @ Hyatt!madelmanDined on 10/21/2013Outstanding She Crab Soup and a tasty Muffaletta as large as the Superdome! Very good service.Special Features:
- Chose this restaurant forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Chose this restaurant for a recent business luncheon. Convienence and ease was well suited to our group, however, the food left something to be desired (the group took part in the buffet). Incrediblly wide selection of sweets, however savory meal options were limited.Special Features:
- Bad for breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/13/2013You don't expect a lot from a hotel breakfast. I had a breakfast business meeting here at 8 Block during a conference at the Hyatt. The food was bad. One of my guests ordered a fruit plate and it looked like it had been sitting out for a day. My other guest ordered a side of sausage and it came out cold. He also ordered toast and came without butter - we had to ask twice for butter. We also had to ask for coffee refill. It was early and the place was empty, so there's no excuse for inattentive service. On top of that, it was expensive. For 4 of us, it was $90. I expect high prices at hotel restaurant, but for that price I also expect a good breakfast and good service. I recommend finding an alternative.
- The atmosphere is great, butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/20/2013The atmosphere is great, but the lunch buffet left much to be desired. The hot food was luke warm and there were not enough desserts and the desserts that were provided were stale. This buffet is not representative of the Hyatt.
- Had to walk away. HostessthisisastupidideaVIPDined on 11/11/2012Had to walk away. Hostess was seating customers in line and I asked a waitress about a table and was told a reservation didn't really mean anything here.Management should anticipate rush on NFL gameday.
- Pleasant staff but took 30MatildasmuseVIPDined on 11/8/2012Pleasant staff but took 30 minutes to get an omelet, and then both the eggs and the toast were cold. Won't go back.
- This was my second time goingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012This was my second time going there. I will for sure entertain there again. It was a first for my quest who loved it. They, like me, will go again.Special Features:
- The buffet was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012The buffet was wonderful and only a short walk from the Superdome. They had made to order omelets, french toast, potatoes, grits, bread pudding, grilled vegetables, chicken, and a whole table dedicated to desserts in addition to a wide array of options. My whole family spanning from 6 to 72 was pleased by the various choices. Our waitress was also super attentive and made our dining experience extremely enjoyable.Special Features:
- This was our 1st time here,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/8/2012This was our 1st time here, and it won't be our last! Great food and beautifully decorated (Easter brunch). We didn't use or see it, but seems there was a cookie making station for kids. Brought an out of town guest and she loved the variety of seafood. I personally don't eat seafood, but found many other dishes to fill me up. Desserts were delicious, esp red velvet cake!Special Features:
- Easter brunch was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/8/2012Easter brunch was fantastic. We had a group of 10 family members, and the staff ensured that the experience was outstanding for all. For the kids, there was a cookie decorating station, manned by the actual pastry chef, and an Easter egg hunt. For the two elderly members of our party, the staff assisted them in obtaining items from the brunch buffet. The food itself is truly above and beyond for a buffet, particularly the grits station where you could choose from an assortment of toppings (eg, bacon, shrimp, cheeses, mushrooms) for your personal portion.Special Features:
- The food and the service wereLMainVIPDined on 3/25/2012The food and the service were wonderful, and the restaurant was very convenient since I was staying in the hotel.
- I love the jazz. It was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012I love the jazz. It was very romantic. No full menu that night but the waitress was nice enough to let us order from the bar and it was great.Special Features:
- This was my first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012This was my first visit and I really enjoyed the experience. The staff seemed very excited about their jobs and the experience was great.Special Features:
- Great Breakfast BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/1/2012Visited 8 Block for the breakfast buffet prior to the Saints' game on New Year's Day. The restaurant was packed and we were very glad that we had made a reservation the day before. The food and the service were both very good. The choices were plentiful and the addition of cabbage and black eyed peas ( a New Orleans New Year's tradition ) was much appreciated. I will happily dine at 8 Block again!Special Features:
- Our waiter was fantastic.gelatoqueenDined on 12/25/2011Our waiter was fantastic. We were traveling with small children who could be very silly, hard to control, and messy. The waiter made us feel very comfortable which enabled us to have a pleasant instead of a tense Christmas morning brunch. I own a restaurant and am kind of a foodie. The food was good but not as fantastic as the waiter. It was acceptable hotel buffet food. Pretty to look at and abundant. No serious complaints.Special Features: