720 South Bar And Grill
720 South Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
720 South Bar And Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/dining_detail.jhtml?ctyhocn=CHICHHH&index=0
- Phone: 3122946861x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday 6:00am - 11:00am;
Saturday 6:00am-Noon; Sunday 6:00am-1pm
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mark Brand
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Yes ! Fridays from 8:30 to 11:30 Jazz and Bosa Nova
A word from 720 South Bar And Grill
A classic American grill featuring a seasonally inspired menu with a focus on local ingredients. Whether it's to unwind after a long day in the lounge with colleagues over locally crafted beers or to enjoy an evening dinner with friends and family—guests will enjoy signature comfort foods, classically inspired cocktails and an extensive selection of wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
720 South Bar And Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (6)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)special occasion (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Would you like flies with that?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Fruit Flies everywhere! When it was mentioned to the server she admitted it had been a problem. She later had the manager come over who did nothing about it except joked about the fact that they loved my bottle of meiomi wine & the filet mignon! I would have thought she would have offered me something....a glass of wine (not an entire bottle) since I had to scoop a fly out of my glass or possibly dessert on the house??? She did not even offer to refill our waters which were empty. I was not looking for a free meal but I was not expecting to pay that much for a meal where I was dining clients and had flies along as guests!Special Features:
- AdequateChitownDinerVIPDined on 8/10/2014The dining room was marginally staffed - with the host(ess)stand being unmanned - resulting in potential diners (our party as well as subsequent parties) standing in front for 3-5 minutes before being approached. The Malbec we requested was "out of stock", with only a by-the bottle and significantly higher priced alternative available as a non-Californian option. Food was well prepared. It appeared that two waiters were working the room- and at leat one other table had to rise and approach the waiter entering orders into the system to alert him that they wanted some additional service - another bottle of wine. Servers were pleasant - either understaffed or undertrained and certainly no management visible for the hour we were there.
- unique menu, delicious food!ScarletDined on 7/26/2014We stopped by for a quick bite on our way to a show. Service was excellent. We had the crab cakes and the steak and BlackBerry flatbread. The food was amazing. The flatbread was unique and a new favorite. We ended with the peanut butter jar desert, which was delicious! Drinks were mixed well. Great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JDW1VIPDined on 6/24/2014I have frequented this establishment many times. The food and service are always reliably good. However, my last lunch there was supposed to earn 1000 points. I was only credited 100. I have sent two emails to Open Table regarding this problem with no response. After looking on the Open Table blog it is clear something is up as many patrons are having this same experience across the country. Is it time to drop Open Table since this consistent problem has started to occur with their new ownership by Priceline? What's up Captain Kirk?Special Features:
- Hotel restaurant was good!AmusedJimVIPDined on 5/17/2014I'm usually leery of restaurants in hotels. They're often over priced and not too good. I was pleasantly surprised. There were six of us and everyone was pleased with their meal. The service was very good. The prices were in line with similar downtown restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- eata7otVIPDined on 5/10/2014The food is very good at 720 South Bar and Grill, and the ambiance is pleasant. The slow, nearly non-existent service really diminished our enjoyment of what otherwise would have been a very good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the 720 South Bar And Grill reviews archive.
- Good spot at Hotel landmarkSalvadorDined on 5/3/2014Good restaurant at the lobby of the Chicago South Michigan Hilton. The food was reasonably priced and very good. The scallops were incredibly good and the three appetizers we had were also outstanding. The bread pudding as too dense and so was the doughnut but we enjoyed them anyway.Special Features:
- Great experience, will come back!SarahNVIPDined on 4/2/2014Overall, we had a great experience at 720 South. It's located inside the Hilton. When you first enter from Michigan Ave. into the cocktail lounge, there's no directional signage, but if you bypass the bar you'll find the restaurant soon enough. Decor is nice, food was great, service was excellent. We'll definitely come back, especially considering it's a 1,000 point restaurant on OpenTable. Our party of two ordered one glass of wine, a small salad (which was big enough to share), two entrees, and a side dish. We spent around $75 and both had food left over to take home.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awkward dining space, average foodJenBVIPDined on 3/28/2014The restaurant is basically in the lobby of the Hilton hotel. There is a very open gate/barrier between the two, but you can easily see people walk through the lobby and check in at the front desk. We found it a very distracting environment in which to enjoy a meal. We found the quality of the food to be average at best, though the menu descriptions looked more interesting. For this price, we really expected a lot more. On a positive note, our server was excellent, very attentive and friendly.
- UnimpressedsteveohDined on 3/28/2014With all the choices in Chicago, the 720 was on a 1000 point list for Opentable. The food was good, but not outstanding. It is located within the Chicago Hilton on South Michigan. Table service was attentive, but the kitchen was dreadfully slow. The restaurant was not busy at 1 PM so there really was no excuse to wait 20 minutes after ordering for just a sandwich and salad. Sadly it felt and tasted like "hotel food". Find something better for the price.
- Irish Good TimecitychicDined on 3/15/2014I made reservations for my friend's birthday lunch, unaware of the St. Patrick's Day Parade. We arrived at the 720 South Grill to great cacophony and festivities. I enjoyed the Irish buffet and my friend loved the flat bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting away with flying awayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014My wife and I live in Chicago but wanted to get away for a night, kind of a Valentine's day get away. We really liked the hotel and we were able to eat both dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. The food was really good , service was great , and a really relaxed and nice setting.Special Features:
- Rather Disappointeddcbound2002Dined on 2/14/2014Not worth the $150 charge for dinner. Waiter was horrible. Obviously, new to the service profession. Never apologized for the 30 minute wait for the appetizers. Then, the waiter actually planned to wait until we were finished with the appetizers before he put the entire order in (steak). We would have waited at least an hour before receiving our entire from the sit down time.
- Ok food but nothing special. NotCstacyVIPDined on 2/8/2014Ok food but nothing special. Not worth going out of the way to eat here.
- tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/6/2014Great service from our waiter Curtis, delicious food, portions were on the smaller side but yummy (pretty food)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Zed 451 for $33 andPatsDined on 1/31/2014After Zed 451 for $33 and three times the amount of food, we were very disappointed with the food at $44. Quality and size medicore at best. We were hoping for a new neighborhood spot and were extremely disappointed.
- Great find inside the Hilton!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014Enjoyed our restaurant week dinner at 720. Didn't realize the restaurant was there, will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The resturant is associatedEEMMDined on 1/2/2014The resturant is associated with a hotel. For the $ food was not very good. Service was also very slow. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.
- Yummy food, friendly and attentivefriendsdiningoutDined on 12/7/2013Really enjoyed our lovely meal. The servers were incredibly attentive and friendly, the food was delicious and well presented, and the drinks, while a bit pricey, were dilvine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OopsOverdressedDined on 11/28/2013Was seeking a venue for our Thanksgiving Feast and got a Buffet. The food was fine, especially for a buffet. Perhaps I misread the write-up or merely panicked because I was making plans for Thanksgiving at the last minute but I was hoping for an upscale Holiday Dining Experience based on the Location and Reservation but wound up at an excellent cafeteria wearing a suit and tie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good buffet - wine sticker shockHurrah4KurahDined on 11/28/2013We went to 720 South Loop for their Thanksgiving buffet.This is the second year in a row we have gone. The selections were plentiful and good with a lot of variety in the vegetable side dishes and desserts. There was no wine list, so we ordered two glasses of Savignon Blanc from our waitress. When we got the bill, we found out the glasses were $14 each, which added a lot to our bill. We spent more than we expected. We may return next year, but we'll ask about the price of the wine before we order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at 720OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/15/2013We enjoyed our dining experience there. The staff were friendly and helpful with the menu selections. I had the Salmom main dish which was excellent, perhaps only slightly over cooked. Two friends had the 720 burger which they enjoyed...presentation was very good. The ambience was very nice ...lighting just right and noise level low enough so we could have a conversation. Quite nice and we all agreed we would return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Luncheon OfferingsBobbyeVIPDined on 10/26/2013Nice option in the South Loop area as it is convenient to the Art Institute and Joeffrey Ballet. Weekends there is a nice brunch until 1:00 p.m. but you can also order from the luncheon menu. Nice find, we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehmilymyDined on 10/19/2013The food was great, but you were seated in the middle of the hotel lobby, which doesn't make for a great dining experience.
- Great Food...Mediocre ServiceDishinHeelsDined on 10/19/2013The food was great. Very tasty. The service, not so much. The waitress yelled across the dining room a couple of times - reminded me of eating in a diner in Brooklyn! Not a bad thing, if you're in a diner in Brooklyn. She would also disappear for long periods of time and seemed a little angry that we were there.Special Features:
- STAFF WAS FRIENDLY, FOOD WASMEJOSSDined on 9/7/2013STAFF WAS FRIENDLY, FOOD WAS EXCEPTIONAL, AND ATMOSPHERE WAS PRIVATE.Special Features:
- surprisingly delightfulSuzanneVIPDined on 8/31/2013When we arrived we were surprised to find '720 bar and grill' was located in the Hilton Hotel. Delighted to see the new remodel of the entire place and pleasingly delighted to find the food and service to be excellent.Special Features:
- Good restaurant in Hilton ChicagoSFSamVIPDined on 8/25/2013The dinner was good...Filet Mignon was very tender. The mashed potatoes were also good!! I'd come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked into the HiltonVCJBDined on 8/1/2013Came across this place tucked into the Hilton across from the reception desk. The food was good, service okay, polite but not terribly attentive. It had kind of an open-air dining room that is exposed to the activity going on in the hotel around it. We picked this place because of the close proximity to our office. I have no complaints about anything - didn't "wow" me, but everything was just fine. Maybe a bit pretentious, but that can be expected inside of a Hilton. The food presentation was nice - very pretty and the prices were on par with everything else you'd find in Chicago.Special Features:
- Great for a Business LunchpamvticVIPDined on 7/13/2013Had 6 of us all staying different hotels in the area and we met here for lunch. They do have large screens that separate you from the hotels' lobby, yet we were able to have a delicious meal and a provate conversation. All the meals were beautifully prepared and tasted absolutely delicious - a little pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the HiltonkirstjenVIPDined on 6/28/2013I didn't know this place was here, until it popped up on Open Table. Since we are remodeling our kitchen, we have been trying a few new places in the neighborhood. I had the crabcake & the potatoes au gratin. The crabcake was very good, served with a tasty mustard sauce. The potatoes au gratin were not cooked enough but they were cheesy & creamy & would be delicious if given a few more minutes' cooking time. My partner ordered the burger, done medium. It looked beautiful but it was cooked well done & therefore was pretty dried out. I think for the prices that this restaurant charges, they need to up their game a little bit. The service was attentive, but the kitchen could use a little improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking quality and high pricesJandBVIPDined on 6/28/2013We started with cocktails; a T&T and a dark rum Mojito. Both drinks were well prepared and served in a timely manner. We ordered rib eye steaks and finished our first drink. We ordered another round; the T&T was fine, but the Mojito was awful. Our server even commented that the drink looked different from the first. The drink was sent back. Our food was served and the quality was only good; less than I expected for the price. We were almost done with the meal when the Mojito arrived. It was obvious that it was the same drink with fresh limes dropped into the glass. We rejected the drink. We will not make the 720 South Bar and Grill our first or even second choice for south loop dining.
- Amazingly Good Food - In a Hotel!ChicagoLunchProDined on 6/13/2013Needed to make last minute lunch reservations near my office and stumbled across this quiet gem tucked inside the Hilton on South Michigan Avenue. Immediate table availability, friendly and attentive staff as well as a quiet location inside this massive convention hotel. Perfect for a business lunch when you need to actually be able to quietly converse in a relatively private location away from the noise and commotion of the Hilton. The food was excellent as well, especially good considering I was dining in a hotel restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Brunch Experience of 10 yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/12/2013Run from this place! I can only speak to the mothers day brunch, but for that I will be apologizing to my wife for quite sometime. The brunch was nothing less of awful. No eggs, no waffles, no pancakes. It did have some very dry meat dishes and the prime rib was terrible as well. I also think are waitress might have fell a sleep in back. She took 10 minutes to come to us when we arrived, and we finally got our water 40 minutes into brunch. I can not express enough how awful this place was. There are so many places better than 720 in Chicago. Please learn from my mistake and dodge this place like the plague.
- Very good dining experiencePapabuck49Dined on 5/11/2013Often hotel restaurants can be iffy but this was a pleasant surprise. The food was truly excellent. We had the salmon and the scallop dishes were were both very well prepared. The Velvelty Vegetable Soup was recommended and was truly excellent. Garden Chop salad was very fresh and well accented with veggies and cheese. Also the wines were quite reasonable. Since the restaurant is across from the front desk, I expected there may be a noise issue but that was not the case. And the service was excellent. Would definitely return to try other menu items.Special Features:
- Terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/8/2013Why would you put a dining room in an open lobby twenty feet from the reception desk? This restaurant is charging fine dining prices and serving terrible food. Perhaps they are relying on hotel guests to fill this restaurant because they are certainly not trying to attract locals. Just terrible overall.
- Exceeded my expectationsAyannaDined on 4/30/2013Made reservations for dinner for two with, the love of my life, to say congratulations on his new career oppertunity. I gave them special instructions when booking on open table, which they followed perfectly. In the end we were both surprised. He felt so special and could not stop smiling from ear to ear. The waiter was excellent and went well beyond my expectations. Lets just say my gratitude landed him a big tip! He made my evening memorable and special for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were tremendously surprisedPittsboroDinerVIPDined on 4/29/2013We were tremendously surprised at how wonderful this restaurant was. Unexpected for a hotel dining experiece. Great food and friendly, attentive service. Very nice menu. Flawless deserts! Don't overlook it because it's in a hotel!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location, very good serviceHrhtlmVIPDined on 4/26/2013Nice location, very good service but the food was mediocre at best. We were a group of 7 and our meals ranged from burgers to scollops to steak and chicken. The burger was good, the steak was ok and the roasted chicken was over-salted and over-cooked. The carrot cake was very good.
- Prices like Smith & Wollensky.SouthLoopDined on 3/12/2013Prices like Smith & Wollensky. Food like Ponderosa. Service like Applebee's. We live nearby. We figured we'd try this place. It's just like every other big hotel restaurant - except with poorer food and service. We won't be back.