717 S. Howard St.
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.717south.com/
- Phone: 8132501661
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday 5:00 PM till 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Masson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: yes, all types
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private, 70 people
- Private Party Contact: Michael Stewart 8133005070
- Entertainment: Special Events Weekely
A word from 717 South
717 South serves authentic Italian dishes from the "Kitchens of Italy" to exotic seafood from the Pacific Rim”, including their famous Miso and Sake cured Catch of the day..Extensive wine list ( over 200 wines by the bottle) , martini's and specialty drinks from all parts of the world. Michael Stewart, a local native, is the owner and Korean-born chef Robert Masson displays a sure mastery of all ports and parts of the world. Set within 1920's art deco paintings, wood trim, high ceilings, and an open kitchen, welcomes each patron. Seven 17 South was recently voted TOP 20 Best New Restaurant in Florida, Best Place for Dinner, Best Wines by the Glass, TOP 400 Places to dine in Florida, Best Happy Hour and many others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
717 South - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
717 South reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)special occasion (74)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (51)vibrant bar scene (49)hot spot (47)good for groups (38)notable wine list (36)late-night find (17)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Good not GreatShowwalterVIPDined on 9/27/2014We'll try this restaurant again, but won't not order the same things.....the food is good but if the foods not at least hitting the very good range next time we'll pass on this place The bar scene is very active and loud...Special Features:
- Great location always busyfatkidVIPDined on 9/27/2014Definitely make a reservation. This is one of the best spots in SoHo for a great dinner and lovely atmosphere. It's not quiet by any means but certainly not obnoxiously loud. Easily one of our favorites in south Tampa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always near perfect.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Probably my favorite in Tampa Bay. Just great every time. Great setvice, very inventive chef, though sad to hear they're taking more if my favorite off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant in TampaBirthdayBrunchFiascoDined on 9/26/2014I love this restaurant and it never disappoints me. The food is great, the service is efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedDiner1102Dined on 9/26/2014It had been awhile since we had been here. The food, lamb and sea bass were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business dinnerGoodnightDined on 9/25/2014Food was incredible and service was excellent! Table was ready right on time food came out very timely out of town guest loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy placeNolefanDined on 9/22/2014We went on a Monday night so it was not very busy. Consequently service should be good and it was. The food was also very good. Maybe not the best in Tampa but worth a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014We were delighted to find this gem in the heart of South Tampa. An incredible anniversary celebration. Couldn't have selected a more perfect dining experience. Thank you.Special Features:
- Delicious food!isdellecDined on 9/20/2014The food was great! A nice little neighborhood joint in Soho with some innovative finds on the menu, such as the duck burger.Special Features:
- Good but.....foodfanDined on 9/20/2014My GF and I really enjoy coming here. Service is consistent and the food is generally good....but the food quality could be more consistent since it is not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbFabfoodforthoughtDined on 9/19/2014I love 717! I have eaten here many times, and love introducing my friends to this wonderful place. The food is beautifully prepared and presented, and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatPattyPVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant itself is well decorated and lit. The place was filled with a lively crowd. Our service was very efficient and cheerful. But none of the dishes my husband and I tried were remarkable and a few of them were down right terrible. The kitchen even managed to mess up a simple stack of tomato and mozzarella -- the tomatoes were mealy, the cheese strangely sweet. The short rib spring rolls had an overly thick, greasy wrapper and the hunk of dip was so hard and so sweet, it was not worth the effort to try to "dip". My husband's fish was not fresh and made him queasy for several hours after we got home. The only decently prepared item was my lamb chops. We will NOT be going back.Special Features:
- Single girls should hit this bar!BzentyDined on 9/6/2014Went to 717 on a date night with my husband. He knew a half a dozen people at the bar, the owner was even working the crowd. Speciality drinks were mixed to perfection. The food was amazing! The chefs combination of food make you want to try everything! After we'd licked the plate I said I didn't think sea bass could taste so good! Try the brussel sprouts as an appetizer. SUCH A GOOD DATE. I want to go back with my girlfriends too, the bar seemed to be crawling with eligible men (and well heeled ladies).Special Features:
- Fantastic DiningInfrequent1Dined on 8/31/2014This was the first time my wife and I had come here to celebrate my birthday. Our server Brittany was extremely helpful and welcoming. Her suggestions for appetizers and food were on target. We were extremely impressed with the food quality, variety of offerings and novelty of dishes. We definitely will come here again and bring our family and friends to experience this great place to eat.Special Features:
- Great place to meet FriendsRecentdinerDined on 8/23/2014717 is a great place to meet friends. Great food, very friendly servers (Tasha was one of the best). It is lively and gives a very energetic vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the edamameHeatherDined on 8/20/2014I have only been to 717 twice now, but both times I certainly wasn't disappointed. They have a great wine selection and nice bar area if you are just looking to grab a cocktail. DEFINITELY start with their amazing siracha edamame if you like spicy. My boyfriend talks about it non-stop in-between visits. Both times I've had their pasta dishes the lasagna is wonderful, but I would definitely go for the sausage bowtie pasata bake, it's amazing. Great date night spot :)Special Features:
- 717 South - a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014not the first time there, nor will it be the last. our server michele was wonderful ~ there when we needed her discreetly absent when not. food was done to perfection, and even my husband who does not like "fancy food" truly enjoyed it. kudos to the bar for having something other than o'douls nonalcoholic beer. and the wine for me was excellent!Special Features:
- Great DinnerSRQfoodiesDined on 8/18/2014Great dinner and great service. Love the ambiance. Decent wine choiceSpecial Features:
- barney409Dined on 8/16/2014The food and service were very good. The menu has an interesting range that will make both "steak and potato" people and "foodie" people happy. There are two distinct dining areas, one is open to the bar area and one is more secluded. If you're looking for quiet or a moderate noise level, choose the "back room". If you want a more lively noise level, then choose the bar or the "front room" for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back room better...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Reservations at 6:45 seated when we arrived at 6:35. Other reviews noted the difference in noise levels from front to back rooms and I was prepared to ask for the back room but we headed there without asking and as the evening wore on I can understand the comments about almost too loud in the front...back was fine and we had a running conversation all evening at normal voice. Our waitress was Stephanie and was as good as we've had in much higher pricer restaurants, great job Stephanie. We shared calamari to start then Wedge then Hanger Steak ordered med/rare closer to rare. All good and of a quality expected for price. Minor miscues in each not worth mentioning. High points for special Martini and tomato sauce for bread and calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!Foodie21Dined on 8/14/2014The food was amazing! Everything we had was delicious, including the calamari, crab cake, steak, and molten lava cake! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This was our first visit to 717 South. The restaurant was very clean, the staff friendly, and the food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience1morefoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014A great meal is more than just great food. This restaurant met all our expectations, and our very charming waitress made the experience even better with some great recommendations. I'm sure we will be returning many times!Special Features:
- Great first experiencebossmomrnDined on 8/4/2014My husband and I had dinner here for the first time and loved it! Our server was very sweet, attentive and knowledgeable. We had appetizers, drinks, dinner and dessert. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening with friends!JkarenwmsVIPDined on 8/2/2014We invited our friends to dinner at 717 South. We had a great time and Josh was an outstanding server. We will definitely return againSpecial Features:
- Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We have been to 717 on numerous occassions but this time it was a disappointment. To start the menu was dirty and stained- not a very good first impression. The meal was OK (had the grouper special at $36) which was dry and the scallops were not done. Waiter was nice but not as on spot as others. All in all a very disappointing night but will come back just be more cautious and not spend $200.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or MissDissapointedDined on 7/31/2014My meal (Grouper) was excellent, but my wife had the special and she couldn't finish more than one bite. The manager took it off the bill, but we were disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice place, a little over priced.jenwil8Dined on 7/28/2014Great specialty martinis. I had the Cats Meow which was very good with muddled strawberries, yum. The bread sticks and dipping sauce were very tasty. The only downside of the meal was that I ordered the Farafalle baked pasta in which the noodles were over cooked which is rare for an Italian Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was fineklbp7609Dined on 7/26/2014I enjoyed the food but felt that the server was more interested in socializing with her coworkers then watching her tables. Went out for our anniversary and it probably was not the best place for that. Not interested in returning.Special Features:
- MikeyinsrqDined on 7/24/2014Super food! Super presentation! Great waiter! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodFoodieDined on 7/20/2014This is our second time to 717. We couldn't decide on main courses and just went for multiple appetizers. Food is very good and presentation even makes it taste better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingDiningfor2Dined on 7/20/2014Unfortunately our server place some people who had been drinking very heavily at the bar at the booth next to us. They were extremely laugh and made it very difficult to carry on a normal conversation. The evening wasn't as enjoyable for a Sunday night as it could have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The salmon could be the best fish fish I've ever had! The sweet potatoes were surprisingly a perfect match with the dish! I would order it every time I dine here. The hangar steaks Chummus churri sauce was the only bad part of the night. Very little flavor, but I would go back 100 times for the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinnerNewtoTampaDined on 7/19/2014Everything on the menu looked so great that it was difficult to decide. Appetizers were incredible and entry was great. This will be on my list of favorite places in Tampa.Special Features:
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014I realize noise is part of being a "hot spot" but I love the food and ambiance so much...but I find the noise detrimental to enjoying the meal.Special Features:
- 717 SouthjohnnehrbasDined on 7/19/2014The initial impression that I got of the restaurant was the overly loud music playing from overhead speakers that did not seemed to be tuned well. However, the waiter was friendly and knowledgeable of the menu. The food was unbelievable. I had the 12 OZ NY Strip Steak with asparagus and macaroni and cheese. - all of which had their own special flair and taste. My wife had the Asian Pot Roast which was also very tasty. The food was prepared just to our liking. The prices were higher but with a Living Social coupon it was affordable. Would return with a coupon again.Special Features:
- Love 717 South!FoodandWine123VIPDined on 7/18/2014Had a wonderful dinner here. Fantastic scallop appetizer was absolutely delicious! My friend had a great risotto and my entree was a perfectly cooked and utterly scrumptious lamb. We got there around 9:30 and the place was packed. It was really loud in the front dining room and bar area but we were seated in the rear which thankfully was quieter and fairly emptying by that time. Our server was very patient with us as we were chatting and getting caught up on our lives. She did a great job taking care of us though. I definitely need to come here more often!Special Features:
- Great place for young foodiesmallo39Dined on 7/18/2014Two older couples had dinner at 717 on Friday evening. We made reservations based on a review of the restaurant, which was very good. We were not prepared, however, for the noise level. We absolutely loved the food - preparation, use of spices, mix of flavors. We were not able to have a conversation because of the noise in the front dining room. It being our first visit we did not realize that dining in the rear of the restaurant would have been less noisy. I wish there was a way for noise level to become part of newspaper restaurant reviews.Special Features:
- Delicious & UnpretentiousFunCriticDined on 7/18/2014The hostesses were flexible with our early arrival. The waitress was delightful, offered recommendations/advice, was observant but not hovering. The food was impressive in appearance and taste - creative and delicious. Diners of all ages, and apparently, for some, a SOHO place to see and be seen. Will be back!Special Features:
- GREATnmhjDined on 7/14/2014We celebrated a birthday with the family, but love to go sit at the bar and enjoy a late night snack and glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.