717 S. Howard St.
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.717south.com/
- Phone: (813) 250-1661
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday 5:00 PM till 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Masson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: yes, all types
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private, 70 people
- Private Party Contact: Michael Stewart 8133005070x
- Entertainment: Special Events Weekely
A word from 717 South
717 South is proud to bring you fresh and local ingredients. The highest quality hormone free chicken and when possible seafood that is harvested in a sustainable fashion. We woodfire all our in-house hand cut steaks..Extensive wine list ( over 300 wines by the bottle) , martini's and specialty drinks from all parts of the world. Michael Stewart, a local native, is the owner and Korean-born chef Robert Masson displays a sure mastery of all ports and parts of the world. Set within 1920's art deco paintings, wood trim, high ceilings, and an open kitchen, welcomes each patron. 717 South was recently voted TOP 20 Best New Restaurant in Florida, Best Place for Dinner, Best Wines by the Glass, TOP 400 Places to dine in Florida, Best Happy Hour and many others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
717 South - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
717 South reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)special occasion (69)neighborhood gem (60)romantic (47)hot spot (45)vibrant bar scene (42)good for groups (37)notable wine list (31)late-night find (15)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014I have been to this restaurant more than once and every time I order something different from the menu. I have not been disappointed once. The food is excellent and the service staff is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMD3VIPDined on 11/15/2014Awful service and food. The menu has changed and the restaurant has lost its identity. Server was confused and way too busy for a Saturday night-took 25 minutes for drink order and water. The list is endless.
- Been 3 times and have never been disappointed.AsoutherndollDined on 11/15/2014The service was great, the food was quick, fresh and tasty. I had the house salad, seabass, sauted spinach and was able to substitute the grits for white rice (delicious). My boyfriend had the Snapper and one of the desserts. The Shiraz wine was nice too and we were allowed to taste the Louis Martini Cab and the Malbec - all were good but the Shiraz was best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy Tampa nightlifeMarkDined on 11/14/2014One of the places to see and be seen in the Tampa SOHO district. Excellent food quality and attentive staff.Special Features:
- loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014was wonderful our waiter was awesome the food was great. Would reccommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 717 South - Great choice in Hyde ParkTampaEatsDined on 11/14/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friend who lives in the area. This was our first visit. Hyde Park has a number of very good places to dine but this one will be on the top of my list from now on. The menu offers a wide variety. Be sure to ask about the daily specials. Service was excellent. Wine list is good. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wynnDined on 11/10/2014I enjoyed one of the most delicious salmon meals that I have ever tasted - perfectly cooked and beautifully presented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 717evepDined on 11/10/2014great service and atmosphere, excellent for regular drink at the bar or Friday night dinner spotSpecial Features:
- Great food, great serviceMissSharpeDined on 11/9/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in the Soho area. The food is consistently great and the service is always outstanding. I highly recommend the Macadamia Nut Chicken with Lobster Sauce and the Duck Burger. Both are standouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibe, good pacebailyballDined on 11/8/2014A nice place to transition from a comfortable drink at the bar to a good dinner experience. A nice balance and range of starters, and the menu was broad enough without being confusing. Wine selection was quite large, with a number of well reviewed bottles included on the list. Dining room environment had a buzz at full capacity, but I never felt challenged to focus on the conversation at our table. Service was very good, with a nice balance of attention and space to enjoy the meal. Overall a satisfying experience at a fair, but somewhat premium price point.Special Features:
- Overall very good!DinnerGuestsDined on 11/7/2014Service wasn't the best but it wasn't bad. Waiter focused on large groups and neglected to check on us several times .... Water refills, check for food quality or need for anything once food arrived, error on check-had to flag him down for assistanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, food, and wineALeeDebbieDined on 11/6/2014Joshua was our waiter and his recommendations were spot on, just perfect... We arrived early and the service, wine, and food selection were excellent. Thanks...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful & varied selectionVIPdiners2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great variety of yummy offerings- everything from the traditional & standards to signature & unique dishes! We traveled over one hour to get here- definitely worth the trip!Special Features:
- Amazingjrivera8510Dined on 10/26/2014It was a great spot to have my 1 yr. It was amazing food, great selection of drinks. The farm to table is a great concept and giving credit on the menu to where the food comes from gives 717 a feeling that they truly care about where they are getting their product, and ultimately what they are putting on the plate.Special Features:
- Superb mealLuvseafoodDined on 10/25/2014We had red snapper and grouper, both dishes were as good or better than any seafood I have ever had.Special Features:
- Finally, dinner at 717 SouthMisterGDined on 10/25/2014I have---for a long time--noted the outstanding reviews of this restaurant but have never dined there. This past Saturday night was a dining pleasure that I won't forget for some time. Outstanding presentation and delicious food. I would, in particular, recommend the sauteed calamari as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Awesome Restaurant!RonkVIPDined on 10/13/2014This was our first visit to 717 South. They had dinner entrees for both my wife & I. The food & service was outstanding. Will definitely return when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good ServiceAmesDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went there for our anniversary dinner this year. Our waitress was excellent! The food was good.I highly recommend the house salad and the pork chops. The bread is awesome too! Its a little small so I recommend a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousWillDined on 10/8/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday dinner and had a good time. Made reservations for a Wednesday nice so it was slower than usual, but not empty. We ordered the Havana short rib spring rolls as an appetizer, she got the special that night which was Chilean sea bass and crab meat, and I had the hanger steak. Both meals came with a side of cheddar stone ground grits which were amazing and overall the food was good. i would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Tampa FaveFlorida3Dined on 10/7/2014Always great food and service at 717 South. The Sea Bass is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real treatfoodforthoughtDined on 10/2/2014My latest visit here was slightly uncomfortable~it was the last evening to use a Living Social voucher, and the place was packed, with extra tables set up, making it feel somewhat cramped. This resulted in an extremely high noise level, and the service was unusually slow. However, the food always makes up for minor annoyances such as these~outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazing!!!MnmacreeDined on 10/1/2014The food was really really good! Will be back! The appetizers and entrees were good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LizzyDined on 9/30/2014Love the food, the service and atmosphere. Sometimes it can be noisy, so if you don't like noise, see if you can sit in the back near the private dining area as there is less open space.Special Features:
- frequentdinerfrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/29/2014Service and food was excellent. Location tends to be noisy. Unfortunately, people chatter was amplified considerably by some form of techno music played in the background that sounded like someone continually pinging on a radiator, or chinaware being banged about. Asked for music to be turned down, no result.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatShowwalterVIPDined on 9/27/2014We'll try this restaurant again, but won't not order the same things.....the food is good but if the foods not at least hitting the very good range next time we'll pass on this place The bar scene is very active and loud...Special Features:
- Great location always busyfatkidVIPDined on 9/27/2014Definitely make a reservation. This is one of the best spots in SoHo for a great dinner and lovely atmosphere. It's not quiet by any means but certainly not obnoxiously loud. Easily one of our favorites in south Tampa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always near perfect.717RulesDined on 9/27/2014Probably my favorite in Tampa Bay. Just great every time. Great setvice, very inventive chef, though sad to hear they're taking more if my favorite off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant in TampaBirthdayBrunchFiascoDined on 9/26/2014I love this restaurant and it never disappoints me. The food is great, the service is efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedDiner1102Dined on 9/26/2014It had been awhile since we had been here. The food, lamb and sea bass were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business dinnerGoodnightDined on 9/25/2014Food was incredible and service was excellent! Table was ready right on time food came out very timely out of town guest loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy placeNolefanDined on 9/22/2014We went on a Monday night so it was not very busy. Consequently service should be good and it was. The food was also very good. Maybe not the best in Tampa but worth a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightedluv2dinefoodieDined on 9/21/2014We were delighted to find this gem in the heart of South Tampa. An incredible anniversary celebration. Couldn't have selected a more perfect dining experience. Thank you.Special Features:
- Delicious food!isdellecDined on 9/20/2014The food was great! A nice little neighborhood joint in Soho with some innovative finds on the menu, such as the duck burger.Special Features:
- Good but.....foodfanDined on 9/20/2014My GF and I really enjoy coming here. Service is consistent and the food is generally good....but the food quality could be more consistent since it is not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbFabfoodforthoughtDined on 9/19/2014I love 717! I have eaten here many times, and love introducing my friends to this wonderful place. The food is beautifully prepared and presented, and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatPattyPVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant itself is well decorated and lit. The place was filled with a lively crowd. Our service was very efficient and cheerful. But none of the dishes my husband and I tried were remarkable and a few of them were down right terrible. The kitchen even managed to mess up a simple stack of tomato and mozzarella -- the tomatoes were mealy, the cheese strangely sweet. The short rib spring rolls had an overly thick, greasy wrapper and the hunk of dip was so hard and so sweet, it was not worth the effort to try to "dip". My husband's fish was not fresh and made him queasy for several hours after we got home. The only decently prepared item was my lamb chops. We will NOT be going back.Special Features:
- Single girls should hit this bar!BzentyDined on 9/6/2014Went to 717 on a date night with my husband. He knew a half a dozen people at the bar, the owner was even working the crowd. Speciality drinks were mixed to perfection. The food was amazing! The chefs combination of food make you want to try everything! After we'd licked the plate I said I didn't think sea bass could taste so good! Try the brussel sprouts as an appetizer. SUCH A GOOD DATE. I want to go back with my girlfriends too, the bar seemed to be crawling with eligible men (and well heeled ladies).Special Features:
- Fantastic DiningInfrequent1Dined on 8/31/2014This was the first time my wife and I had come here to celebrate my birthday. Our server Brittany was extremely helpful and welcoming. Her suggestions for appetizers and food were on target. We were extremely impressed with the food quality, variety of offerings and novelty of dishes. We definitely will come here again and bring our family and friends to experience this great place to eat.Special Features:
- Great place to meet FriendsRecentdinerDined on 8/23/2014717 is a great place to meet friends. Great food, very friendly servers (Tasha was one of the best). It is lively and gives a very energetic vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the edamameHeatherDined on 8/20/2014I have only been to 717 twice now, but both times I certainly wasn't disappointed. They have a great wine selection and nice bar area if you are just looking to grab a cocktail. DEFINITELY start with their amazing siracha edamame if you like spicy. My boyfriend talks about it non-stop in-between visits. Both times I've had their pasta dishes the lasagna is wonderful, but I would definitely go for the sausage bowtie pasata bake, it's amazing. Great date night spot :)Special Features: