717 S. Howard St.
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.717south.com/
- Phone: 8132501661
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday 5:00 PM till 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Masson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: yes, all types
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private, 70 people
- Private Party Contact: Michael Stewart 8133005070
- Entertainment: Special Events Weekely
A word from 717 South
717 South serves authentic Italian dishes from the "Kitchens of Italy" to exotic seafood from the Pacific Rim”, including their famous Miso and Sake cured Catch of the day..Extensive wine list ( over 200 wines by the bottle) , martini's and specialty drinks from all parts of the world. Michael Stewart, a local native, is the owner and Korean-born chef Robert Masson displays a sure mastery of all ports and parts of the world. Set within 1920's art deco paintings, wood trim, high ceilings, and an open kitchen, welcomes each patron. Seven 17 South was recently voted TOP 20 Best New Restaurant in Florida, Best Place for Dinner, Best Wines by the Glass, TOP 400 Places to dine in Florida, Best Happy Hour and many others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
717 South - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
717 South reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (68)vibrant bar scene (50)romantic (48)hot spot (41)good for groups (36)notable wine list (29)late-night find (18)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great place to meet FriendsRecentdinerDined on 8/23/2014717 is a great place to meet friends. Great food, very friendly servers (Tasha was one of the best). It is lively and gives a very energetic vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the edamameHeatherDined on 8/20/2014I have only been to 717 twice now, but both times I certainly wasn't disappointed. They have a great wine selection and nice bar area if you are just looking to grab a cocktail. DEFINITELY start with their amazing siracha edamame if you like spicy. My boyfriend talks about it non-stop in-between visits. Both times I've had their pasta dishes the lasagna is wonderful, but I would definitely go for the sausage bowtie pasata bake, it's amazing. Great date night spot :)Special Features:
- 717 South - a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014not the first time there, nor will it be the last. our server michele was wonderful ~ there when we needed her discreetly absent when not. food was done to perfection, and even my husband who does not like "fancy food" truly enjoyed it. kudos to the bar for having something other than o'douls nonalcoholic beer. and the wine for me was excellent!Special Features:
- Great DinnerSRQfoodiesDined on 8/18/2014Great dinner and great service. Love the ambiance. Decent wine choiceSpecial Features:
- barney409Dined on 8/16/2014The food and service were very good. The menu has an interesting range that will make both "steak and potato" people and "foodie" people happy. There are two distinct dining areas, one is open to the bar area and one is more secluded. If you're looking for quiet or a moderate noise level, choose the "back room". If you want a more lively noise level, then choose the bar or the "front room" for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back room better...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Reservations at 6:45 seated when we arrived at 6:35. Other reviews noted the difference in noise levels from front to back rooms and I was prepared to ask for the back room but we headed there without asking and as the evening wore on I can understand the comments about almost too loud in the front...back was fine and we had a running conversation all evening at normal voice. Our waitress was Stephanie and was as good as we've had in much higher pricer restaurants, great job Stephanie. We shared calamari to start then Wedge then Hanger Steak ordered med/rare closer to rare. All good and of a quality expected for price. Minor miscues in each not worth mentioning. High points for special Martini and tomato sauce for bread and calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!Foodie21Dined on 8/14/2014The food was amazing! Everything we had was delicious, including the calamari, crab cake, steak, and molten lava cake! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This was our first visit to 717 South. The restaurant was very clean, the staff friendly, and the food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience1morefoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014A great meal is more than just great food. This restaurant met all our expectations, and our very charming waitress made the experience even better with some great recommendations. I'm sure we will be returning many times!Special Features:
- Great first experiencebossmomrnDined on 8/4/2014My husband and I had dinner here for the first time and loved it! Our server was very sweet, attentive and knowledgeable. We had appetizers, drinks, dinner and dessert. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening with friends!JkarenwmsDined on 8/2/2014We invited our friends to dinner at 717 South. We had a great time and Josh was an outstanding server. We will definitely return againSpecial Features:
- Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We have been to 717 on numerous occassions but this time it was a disappointment. To start the menu was dirty and stained- not a very good first impression. The meal was OK (had the grouper special at $36) which was dry and the scallops were not done. Waiter was nice but not as on spot as others. All in all a very disappointing night but will come back just be more cautious and not spend $200.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or MissDissapointedDined on 7/31/2014My meal (Grouper) was excellent, but my wife had the special and she couldn't finish more than one bite. The manager took it off the bill, but we were disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice place, a little over priced.jenwil8Dined on 7/28/2014Great specialty martinis. I had the Cats Meow which was very good with muddled strawberries, yum. The bread sticks and dipping sauce were very tasty. The only downside of the meal was that I ordered the Farafalle baked pasta in which the noodles were over cooked which is rare for an Italian Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was fineklbp7609Dined on 7/26/2014I enjoyed the food but felt that the server was more interested in socializing with her coworkers then watching her tables. Went out for our anniversary and it probably was not the best place for that. Not interested in returning.Special Features:
- MikeyinsrqDined on 7/24/2014Super food! Super presentation! Great waiter! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodFoodieDined on 7/20/2014This is our second time to 717. We couldn't decide on main courses and just went for multiple appetizers. Food is very good and presentation even makes it taste better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingDiningfor2Dined on 7/20/2014Unfortunately our server place some people who had been drinking very heavily at the bar at the booth next to us. They were extremely laugh and made it very difficult to carry on a normal conversation. The evening wasn't as enjoyable for a Sunday night as it could have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The salmon could be the best fish fish I've ever had! The sweet potatoes were surprisingly a perfect match with the dish! I would order it every time I dine here. The hangar steaks Chummus churri sauce was the only bad part of the night. Very little flavor, but I would go back 100 times for the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinnerNewtoTampaDined on 7/19/2014Everything on the menu looked so great that it was difficult to decide. Appetizers were incredible and entry was great. This will be on my list of favorite places in Tampa.Special Features:
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014I realize noise is part of being a "hot spot" but I love the food and ambiance so much...but I find the noise detrimental to enjoying the meal.Special Features:
- 717 SouthjohnnehrbasDined on 7/19/2014The initial impression that I got of the restaurant was the overly loud music playing from overhead speakers that did not seemed to be tuned well. However, the waiter was friendly and knowledgeable of the menu. The food was unbelievable. I had the 12 OZ NY Strip Steak with asparagus and macaroni and cheese. - all of which had their own special flair and taste. My wife had the Asian Pot Roast which was also very tasty. The food was prepared just to our liking. The prices were higher but with a Living Social coupon it was affordable. Would return with a coupon again.Special Features:
- Love 717 South!FoodandWine123VIPDined on 7/18/2014Had a wonderful dinner here. Fantastic scallop appetizer was absolutely delicious! My friend had a great risotto and my entree was a perfectly cooked and utterly scrumptious lamb. We got there around 9:30 and the place was packed. It was really loud in the front dining room and bar area but we were seated in the rear which thankfully was quieter and fairly emptying by that time. Our server was very patient with us as we were chatting and getting caught up on our lives. She did a great job taking care of us though. I definitely need to come here more often!Special Features:
- Great place for young foodiesmallo39Dined on 7/18/2014Two older couples had dinner at 717 on Friday evening. We made reservations based on a review of the restaurant, which was very good. We were not prepared, however, for the noise level. We absolutely loved the food - preparation, use of spices, mix of flavors. We were not able to have a conversation because of the noise in the front dining room. It being our first visit we did not realize that dining in the rear of the restaurant would have been less noisy. I wish there was a way for noise level to become part of newspaper restaurant reviews.Special Features:
- Delicious & UnpretentiousFunCriticDined on 7/18/2014The hostesses were flexible with our early arrival. The waitress was delightful, offered recommendations/advice, was observant but not hovering. The food was impressive in appearance and taste - creative and delicious. Diners of all ages, and apparently, for some, a SOHO place to see and be seen. Will be back!Special Features:
- GREATnmhjDined on 7/14/2014We celebrated a birthday with the family, but love to go sit at the bar and enjoy a late night snack and glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat it while it's cold!...underwhelmedVIPDined on 7/13/2014Came on a Sunday at 7:30, more than enough time to enjoy a dinner for 2 and be out well before they close at 10pm. Menus were filthy, bread was tasty, both entrees came out cold. Politely informed waitress to which she asked if we would "like it heated up?" Which having ordered a steak I replied no but my boyfriend decided to have his heated up. So the mushroom and scallop risotto finally returns, with his now mushy, half eaten scallop neatly placed on top of his steaming pile of risotto, fresh from the microwave! No visit from any managers, waitress wasn't concerned... Oh and they started vacuuming the restaurant in the middle of our meal. Definitely won't be back. Way overrated.
- First Time @ 717Foodie4LifeDined on 7/12/2014Busy restaurant/scene on a Saturday night... we were sat in a booth next to a large party who overwhelmed the entire section with their noise level (typical loud, obnoxious, "look at me type" of women in SoHo; this is what you'll get at 717)... food was very good, as was the service.Special Features:
- AWESOMEasb06cDined on 7/12/2014Highly recommend the lasagna or loolipop pork chops for dinner. Food was really great. Service was even better. Our waiter Anthony knew the menu extremely well. Overall it was a really great experience. Plus it is reasonably priced compared to some of the other restaurants nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014It was our 7th anniversary so had a 7 theme hence picking 717. When the hostess sat us she said happy anniversary which told me they actually read the notes from the reservation. Anthony, the waiter, took great care of us with just enough attention and not overbearing. Then he topped the night off with a special 7th anniversary dessert plate that made the night memorable. Thanks Anthony!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a favoritegolferproDined on 7/5/2014My most favorite South Tampa dining place....meets my every expectations.....Special Features:
- Love it!LizzyDined on 7/2/2014This is my third time eating at 717 South. The first two times was for work function and we all enjoyed fun vibe and fantastic food. PuPu platter is tops! This most recent time was to celebrate my birthday. What made it even more special was the Amazon special purchase. I consider 717 South a special occasion place so it was a perfect place to celebrate my birthday with my family. My husband and I shared the kale salad which was crisp and tart and tangy. The mushroom risotto, a speciality, was a nice complement to the salad; the flavors seemed to melt in your mouth and were a smooth blend of rich creamy flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodSteveVIPDined on 6/30/2014717 is a excellent choice for dining in the SoHo area. Contemporary and delicious menu options for all tastes. Nice wine list, awesome service. A favorite for upscale dining at reasonable cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/29/2014Advertised cocktails--"Out of ingredients". Desert items on menu--"Oops, not available"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Get EnoughOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014LOVE this place. Everytime I go its never a disappointment. Excellent food, service and ambiance. Will always recommend to others.Special Features:
- waiter stoned could of cared lesslynnVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had a reservation for 630 and we're seated for birthday. We waited half hour for drink and he had one table. He served white wine that was hot. The stoner said it was not able to get a pour from a cold bottle. Forgot lemon for water asked twice. Gave us glass wine requested before dinner AFTER dinner served and eaten. In fact he brought with check to drive bill and tip up. Really horrible for the over 225 we spent. Do not go.
- Terrible ExperienceBGBLUECATVIPDined on 6/24/2014From the outset there were signs that the dining experience was not going to be good. The overall ambience of the restaurant is good, but being given worn dirty paper menus was clue number one. In spite of being a veteran server, the waiter was unable to tell us the origin of any of their seafood. My wife's lamb came out very undercooked. It was sent back. In the meantime I tasted my salmon, had the flavor of bacon. Nowhere in the description of my salmon dish was bacon. When the the lamb came back out it was still undercooked and tough and stringy. At that point we requested a manager to speak to. After waiting 5 minutes, we were informed that the manager was the bartender and it would be some time to speak to him. We paid & left
- Wonderful Night OutFisherNIGHTDined on 6/21/2014The wife and I enjoyed a night out at this beautiful restaurant. It was kind of Loud and the tables kind of large for two people to talk without screaming. Overall the service was great, the food with to die for, and the night was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great neighborhood find!DisappointedDined on 6/21/2014Outstanding food, and service. Strongly encourage reservations! A nice range of selections on the menu and the apps are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedsteveoVIPDined on 6/21/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We went for the Restaurant week promotion but misunderstood the pricing. We thought it was 2 dinners for $30 but it was $30 each. We discovered this when the bill came. The salad and spring roll appetizer where excellent with nice presentation. The main entrees of Macadamia Nut chicken and atlantic cod were average and looked exactly alike served over sweet potato mash and verts. The chocolate torte dessert was awesome. The service was excellent. The men's bathroom was dirty which surprised me because we were seated when the restaurant opened at 5pm. Overall we were not impressed with this restaurant.Special Features: