717 S. Howard St.
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.717south.com/
- Phone: 8132501661x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday 5:00 PM till 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Masson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: yes, all types
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private, 70 people
- Private Party Contact: Michael Stewart 8133005070x
- Entertainment: Special Events Weekely
A word from 717 South
717 South is proud to bring you fresh and local ingredients. The highest quality hormone free chicken and when possible seafood that is harvested in a sustainable fashion. We woodfire all our in-house hand cut steaks..Extensive wine list ( over 300 wines by the bottle) , martini's and specialty drinks from all parts of the world. Michael Stewart, a local native, is the owner and Korean-born chef Robert Masson displays a sure mastery of all ports and parts of the world. Set within 1920's art deco paintings, wood trim, high ceilings, and an open kitchen, welcomes each patron. 717 South was recently voted TOP 20 Best New Restaurant in Florida, Best Place for Dinner, Best Wines by the Glass, TOP 400 Places to dine in Florida, Best Happy Hour and many others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
717 South - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
717 South reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (72)neighborhood gem (66)romantic (49)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (46)good for groups (37)notable wine list (33)late-night find (15)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Awesome Restaurant!RonkVIPDined on 10/13/2014This was our first visit to 717 South. They had dinner entrees for both my wife & I. The food & service was outstanding. Will definitely return when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good ServiceAmesDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went there for our anniversary dinner this year. Our waitress was excellent! The food was good.I highly recommend the house salad and the pork chops. The bread is awesome too! Its a little small so I recommend a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousWillDined on 10/8/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday dinner and had a good time. Made reservations for a Wednesday nice so it was slower than usual, but not empty. We ordered the Havana short rib spring rolls as an appetizer, she got the special that night which was Chilean sea bass and crab meat, and I had the hanger steak. Both meals came with a side of cheddar stone ground grits which were amazing and overall the food was good. i would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Tampa FaveFlorida3Dined on 10/7/2014Always great food and service at 717 South. The Sea Bass is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real treatfoodforthoughtDined on 10/2/2014My latest visit here was slightly uncomfortable~it was the last evening to use a Living Social voucher, and the place was packed, with extra tables set up, making it feel somewhat cramped. This resulted in an extremely high noise level, and the service was unusually slow. However, the food always makes up for minor annoyances such as these~outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazing!!!MnmacreeDined on 10/1/2014The food was really really good! Will be back! The appetizers and entrees were good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LizzyDined on 9/30/2014Love the food, the service and atmosphere. Sometimes it can be noisy, so if you don't like noise, see if you can sit in the back near the private dining area as there is less open space.Special Features:
- frequentdinerfrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/29/2014Service and food was excellent. Location tends to be noisy. Unfortunately, people chatter was amplified considerably by some form of techno music played in the background that sounded like someone continually pinging on a radiator, or chinaware being banged about. Asked for music to be turned down, no result.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatShowwalterVIPDined on 9/27/2014We'll try this restaurant again, but won't not order the same things.....the food is good but if the foods not at least hitting the very good range next time we'll pass on this place The bar scene is very active and loud...Special Features:
- Great location always busyfatkidVIPDined on 9/27/2014Definitely make a reservation. This is one of the best spots in SoHo for a great dinner and lovely atmosphere. It's not quiet by any means but certainly not obnoxiously loud. Easily one of our favorites in south Tampa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always near perfect.717RulesDined on 9/27/2014Probably my favorite in Tampa Bay. Just great every time. Great setvice, very inventive chef, though sad to hear they're taking more if my favorite off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant in TampaBirthdayBrunchFiascoDined on 9/26/2014I love this restaurant and it never disappoints me. The food is great, the service is efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedDiner1102Dined on 9/26/2014It had been awhile since we had been here. The food, lamb and sea bass were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business dinnerGoodnightDined on 9/25/2014Food was incredible and service was excellent! Table was ready right on time food came out very timely out of town guest loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy placeNolefanDined on 9/22/2014We went on a Monday night so it was not very busy. Consequently service should be good and it was. The food was also very good. Maybe not the best in Tampa but worth a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightedluv2dinefoodieDined on 9/21/2014We were delighted to find this gem in the heart of South Tampa. An incredible anniversary celebration. Couldn't have selected a more perfect dining experience. Thank you.Special Features:
- Delicious food!isdellecDined on 9/20/2014The food was great! A nice little neighborhood joint in Soho with some innovative finds on the menu, such as the duck burger.Special Features:
- Good but.....foodfanDined on 9/20/2014My GF and I really enjoy coming here. Service is consistent and the food is generally good....but the food quality could be more consistent since it is not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbFabfoodforthoughtDined on 9/19/2014I love 717! I have eaten here many times, and love introducing my friends to this wonderful place. The food is beautifully prepared and presented, and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatPattyPVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant itself is well decorated and lit. The place was filled with a lively crowd. Our service was very efficient and cheerful. But none of the dishes my husband and I tried were remarkable and a few of them were down right terrible. The kitchen even managed to mess up a simple stack of tomato and mozzarella -- the tomatoes were mealy, the cheese strangely sweet. The short rib spring rolls had an overly thick, greasy wrapper and the hunk of dip was so hard and so sweet, it was not worth the effort to try to "dip". My husband's fish was not fresh and made him queasy for several hours after we got home. The only decently prepared item was my lamb chops. We will NOT be going back.Special Features:
- Single girls should hit this bar!BzentyDined on 9/6/2014Went to 717 on a date night with my husband. He knew a half a dozen people at the bar, the owner was even working the crowd. Speciality drinks were mixed to perfection. The food was amazing! The chefs combination of food make you want to try everything! After we'd licked the plate I said I didn't think sea bass could taste so good! Try the brussel sprouts as an appetizer. SUCH A GOOD DATE. I want to go back with my girlfriends too, the bar seemed to be crawling with eligible men (and well heeled ladies).Special Features:
- Fantastic DiningInfrequent1Dined on 8/31/2014This was the first time my wife and I had come here to celebrate my birthday. Our server Brittany was extremely helpful and welcoming. Her suggestions for appetizers and food were on target. We were extremely impressed with the food quality, variety of offerings and novelty of dishes. We definitely will come here again and bring our family and friends to experience this great place to eat.Special Features:
- Great place to meet FriendsRecentdinerDined on 8/23/2014717 is a great place to meet friends. Great food, very friendly servers (Tasha was one of the best). It is lively and gives a very energetic vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the edamameHeatherDined on 8/20/2014I have only been to 717 twice now, but both times I certainly wasn't disappointed. They have a great wine selection and nice bar area if you are just looking to grab a cocktail. DEFINITELY start with their amazing siracha edamame if you like spicy. My boyfriend talks about it non-stop in-between visits. Both times I've had their pasta dishes the lasagna is wonderful, but I would definitely go for the sausage bowtie pasata bake, it's amazing. Great date night spot :)Special Features:
- 717 South - a gemnikinooDined on 8/20/2014not the first time there, nor will it be the last. our server michele was wonderful ~ there when we needed her discreetly absent when not. food was done to perfection, and even my husband who does not like "fancy food" truly enjoyed it. kudos to the bar for having something other than o'douls nonalcoholic beer. and the wine for me was excellent!Special Features:
- Great DinnerSRQfoodiesDined on 8/18/2014Great dinner and great service. Love the ambiance. Decent wine choiceSpecial Features:
- barney409Dined on 8/16/2014The food and service were very good. The menu has an interesting range that will make both "steak and potato" people and "foodie" people happy. There are two distinct dining areas, one is open to the bar area and one is more secluded. If you're looking for quiet or a moderate noise level, choose the "back room". If you want a more lively noise level, then choose the bar or the "front room" for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back room better...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Reservations at 6:45 seated when we arrived at 6:35. Other reviews noted the difference in noise levels from front to back rooms and I was prepared to ask for the back room but we headed there without asking and as the evening wore on I can understand the comments about almost too loud in the front...back was fine and we had a running conversation all evening at normal voice. Our waitress was Stephanie and was as good as we've had in much higher pricer restaurants, great job Stephanie. We shared calamari to start then Wedge then Hanger Steak ordered med/rare closer to rare. All good and of a quality expected for price. Minor miscues in each not worth mentioning. High points for special Martini and tomato sauce for bread and calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!Foodie21Dined on 8/14/2014The food was amazing! Everything we had was delicious, including the calamari, crab cake, steak, and molten lava cake! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This was our first visit to 717 South. The restaurant was very clean, the staff friendly, and the food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience1morefoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014A great meal is more than just great food. This restaurant met all our expectations, and our very charming waitress made the experience even better with some great recommendations. I'm sure we will be returning many times!Special Features:
- Great first experiencebossmomrnDined on 8/4/2014My husband and I had dinner here for the first time and loved it! Our server was very sweet, attentive and knowledgeable. We had appetizers, drinks, dinner and dessert. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening with friends!JkarenwmsVIPDined on 8/2/2014We invited our friends to dinner at 717 South. We had a great time and Josh was an outstanding server. We will definitely return againSpecial Features:
- Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We have been to 717 on numerous occassions but this time it was a disappointment. To start the menu was dirty and stained- not a very good first impression. The meal was OK (had the grouper special at $36) which was dry and the scallops were not done. Waiter was nice but not as on spot as others. All in all a very disappointing night but will come back just be more cautious and not spend $200.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or MissDissapointedDined on 7/31/2014My meal (Grouper) was excellent, but my wife had the special and she couldn't finish more than one bite. The manager took it off the bill, but we were disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice place, a little over priced.jenwil8Dined on 7/28/2014Great specialty martinis. I had the Cats Meow which was very good with muddled strawberries, yum. The bread sticks and dipping sauce were very tasty. The only downside of the meal was that I ordered the Farafalle baked pasta in which the noodles were over cooked which is rare for an Italian Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was fineklbp7609Dined on 7/26/2014I enjoyed the food but felt that the server was more interested in socializing with her coworkers then watching her tables. Went out for our anniversary and it probably was not the best place for that. Not interested in returning.Special Features:
- MikeyinsrqDined on 7/24/2014Super food! Super presentation! Great waiter! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodFoodieDined on 7/20/2014This is our second time to 717. We couldn't decide on main courses and just went for multiple appetizers. Food is very good and presentation even makes it taste better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingDiningfor2Dined on 7/20/2014Unfortunately our server place some people who had been drinking very heavily at the bar at the booth next to us. They were extremely laugh and made it very difficult to carry on a normal conversation. The evening wasn't as enjoyable for a Sunday night as it could have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.