71 Saint Peter Restaurant
71 N. San Pedro Street
San Jose, CA 95110Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
71 Saint Peter Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.71saintpeter.com/
- Phone: 4089718523
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Closed on Sundays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Luis Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering by 71 Saint Peter provides full service catering, culinary instruction, and event management. Every affair begins with a relaxed, yet thorough consultation with Chef/Owner Luis, who personally customizes each menu and oversees the food, staff and presentation to ensure a spectacular event.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you’re organizing a small department luncheon or a more lavish private dinner party, 71 Saint Peter will make sure that every aspect of your group's dining experience is extraordinary.
Chef/Owner Luis Rodriquez will work with you to create a special menu!
- Private Party Contact: Luis Rodriguez 4088881535
A word from 71 Saint Peter Restaurant
71 Saint Peter, a Mediterranean Grill, features the flavors of Italy and France prepared in a straightforward style which captures the best of California’s bounty of fresh produce, meats, fish and fowl. Our servers are attentive and informed without being intrusive or overbearing. Guests return time and time again, the true measure of a great restaurant! Luis Rodriguez, chef/owner, celebrates 71 Saint Peter's 18th anniversary in historic San Pedro Square, downtown San Jose. Chef Rodriguez continues the tradition that has brought national acclaim to St Peter; hearty creative food, warm atmosphere, and personal service. Please add your phone number or email and we will confirm your reservation and special request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
71 Saint Peter Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (3)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)good for groups (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014We have patronize this restaurant for many years with family and friends in tow. Luis, owner and chef, is the friendly heartbeat of 71St. Peter. Right in the middle of the lively San Pedro Square action, it's great for a date night. Highly recommended for excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment in the First DegreeWanderingseniorVIPDined on 8/7/2014I looked forward to outdoor dining in San Jose's San Pedro Square and chose this restaurant based on the Zagat writeup. I was disappointed on every count. My spinach salad was swimming in oil and topped with some kind of unrecognizable dark brown gunk. My wild mushroom ravioli might have been edible were it not for the large pool of brown butter sauce, again making grease the highlight of the dish. Wine was poured with no opportunity for tasting, but otherwise service was acceptable. As for those coveted outdoor tables, they are on the sidewalk and face a large parking garage. You may have better luck than I, but I would not recommend this restaurant.
- SV Beer Week SurpriseTWeaverVIPDined on 7/26/2014As part of Silicon Valley Beer Week, we tried 71 St. Peter's for their special 5 course menu with beer pairings. The food was great and the pairings were perfect. I would recommend this place and adding it to my favorite's list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be...ABinSJDined on 7/11/2014I used to love coming here. Had not been in some time and thought I would revisit. Where it used to feel sassy and chic it now feels tattered and worn. The chairs are wobbly and uncomfortable. The decor is dated. The food was good but not great. You can see where corners have been cut in things like using super cheap Parmesan in the Caesar salad. The lack of attention to detail was evident in the steak, ordered medium rare, was overdone and dry on the outside, raw in the middle - cooked over heat that was too high. What was once one of my go-to places will now be one of my meh's.Special Features:
- The following 399 reviews are from the 71 Saint Peter Restaurant reviews archive.
- No showCharlie14Dined on 3/20/2014My wife and I were greatly disappointed. When we got there we were told to wait for 30 minutes as they were short staffed. We have no problem with this, it was the arrogant manner in which it was conveyed by two members of the restaurant including I assume the Manager that convinced us we would never be back again. We ate at a nearby quaint Cuban restaurant around the corner which was delightful. 71 Saint Peter should perhaps remove the 'Saint' part out of their name.
- Quiet, deliciousScottDined on 3/15/2014Small outdoor patio in the street is perfect for San Jose weather. Lots if foot traffic and very little vehicle traffic. Wine and beer selection is shorter than expected but thoughtful and satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice,quiet diningli334Dined on 3/14/2014Our experience was pleasant but nothing to rave about. We went on a Friday evening with reservations, which definitely were not needed. The restaurant was almost deserted! The waiter was very nice but almost monotone in his presentation. There were three of us dining and two of us had delicious meals. The pork chops and polenta were excellent as well as the steak. My salmon was awful! It was mushy and the crab on top seemed like it came out of a can. I couldn't finish it. The ambience of the restaurant was very nice and had a European feel to it. I might try to go back but I won't be ordering the salmon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiding in plain site for 21 yearsDaleyPickDined on 3/11/2014Wife had a coupon otherwise we might never have found this gem, its on our rotation now. Started with the Brucshetta was great, soft not soggy bread, fresh tomatoes. Wife had lobster ravioli appetizer as her entree while I had the flank steak special over gnocci, all fantastic. We also learned there are great bars within walking distance for a complete evening experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good well rounded restaurantLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 3/1/2014This is a good restaurant for mediterranean cuisine, in downtown San Jose. It is not as upscale as Dio Deka, Odium, or the like, but provides the perfect balance between upscale and casual, with a good food quality and selection. The Wine and Beer list is notable enough to provide a wide selection for all, but as expected, not as elaborate as other Fine Dining restaurants. On the weekends they have a duet or triplet plays some casual contemporary music, which adds a nice romantic touch to the restaurant. Overall, this is our go to restaurant, in Downtown San Jose, which doesn't break the bank, provides a nice but casual environment, great food, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and quietOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014We had not been to 77 St. Peter for a number of years, and were happy to find the place lived up to our expectations. The four of us had different dishes, and were all impressed with the quality, taste and it was hot! The prices were reasonable for what we received. An important factor for us is the ambiance, specifically how well we can carry on a conversation in normal conversational tones, and not have to shout above other guests: although the place was well visited on Saturday night, we were happy with the quiet atmosphere. There was also a tasteful guitar / singer duo who provide pleasant and discreet background music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantDaba123Dined on 3/1/201471 St. Peter is a great romantic spot, we love the live jazz and the fabulous food. We particularly love the sauces that are paired with the meat selections. The service is great and we are always warmly welcomed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good dinnersmokeyandashesDined on 3/1/2014We started off with Crab cakes and a caesar salad. The crab cake were ok but didn't have much crab in them. The caesar was fairly large and pretty good. Then we had half duck two ways. It was pretty good, too. The atmosphere and service were very good. Too bad the food wasn't a notch better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closed Without NoticePeteDined on 2/17/2014Restaurant was closed. Note on the door when we arrived for dinner said the chef was injured and they were closed until he was better. Understand the reason, but in this electronic age, would have liked some notice so we are not left out in the cold. Especially since the reservations are made on line using OpenTable.
- Closed!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/17/2014When we arrived the restaurant had a sign on the door that the chef had an accident and it was closed. No one contacted us!
- Really enjoyablezozobraDined on 2/15/2014Really well done Italian food, every aspect of our dinner was well prepared. The bruchetta was out of this world! Very enjoyable and generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food/serviceFoodloverDined on 2/14/2014We got there 10 minutes prior to our reservation which was at 8 we had to wait about 15-20 minutes for a table and the waiter came and got our drink order & 10 min later we asked for our drinks & was told the machine was broken & it will be a few more minutes. Finally got our drinks abt 20 min later Took whole hour for our food, which was uncooked the stuffed chicken breasts was still raw on the inside the pasta was hard too salty & the chicken was shredded & very minimal. The only edible item was the crab cakes which we ordered as an appetizer. The waiter never checked on us, the quality of food and service is unacceptable for the prices. we paid 65 for uncooked food & a coke. They have one chef for the entire restaurant
- Valentine's DinnerJohnJVIPDined on 2/14/2014Nice little place in downtown San Jose with easy access to parking and other night life. We had never been here before, but decided to try something new for Valentine's Day. We made reservations a few weeks in advance, and it was a good thing, because the place stayed full the entire night. Having never been there before, we went for the Valentine's Day 4 course dinner for two, including the optional wine pairing. The Seared Ahi Tuna was outstanding, but the Rib Eye was really tough with little flavor. Good thing the Lobster Bisque and other food left us satiated, since we left most of the Rib Eye behind. The dessert was a very bland finish to what was otherwise a decent meal. We'll go back again, I think this place has potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charmer DowntownOTHDinerDined on 2/14/2014The food, service and ambience are all first rate, and the restaurant provides good value. There was some lovely, but not overly intrusive, live music the night we were there. It was a wonderful enhancement to a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool ambieance but tight on spaceJeffTVIPDined on 2/14/2014We got a table that was lopsided and close to the kitchen, so it felt tight. It was an early Valentines day Dinner, so we expected it to be crowded. The food was pretty good,but not outstanding. Since we were doing a later dinner, we only focused on a few appetizers and then split the seafood pasta course. It was lacking some flavor, but did have a nice variety of seafood. Service was good.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014We are here on Valentine's Day. This is the 3rd time we have eaten here. The food & service are top-notch! Great place for an intimate, romantic dinner! We will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service. TheakodaVIPDined on 2/13/2014Good food, good service. The only minor problem was being seated right in front of a curtain that separated dining room from service area, lots of fast moving people coming through the gap.Special Features:
- Good, but not exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2014The ambiance in the restaurant is great, unfortunately we were sitting in a small side room where it is a bit less romantic. The food was good, reasonably price, but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. ServerAareolDined on 2/7/2014Food was excellent. Server was very informative and friendly. Friday nught live jazz!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, Quiet DinnerHardyCDined on 2/5/2014My wife and I arrived for dinner before a Sharks game and were surprised to find the restaurant almost empty. Very strange for a San Pedro restaurant. However, we had a very nice dining experience, so still a puzzle unless it was because of the somewhat pricey menu. I ordered the lamb shanks, which were tender and plentiful, as were the vegetables and mashed potatoes. Unfortunately, the sauce was not enough for the serving and lacked substance, was a bit bland. My wife had a beet salad which she said was the best she's ever had, and a large serving. She also had a very excellent flat iron steak. She was very pleased with her meal. The server was very attentive and pleasant. A high $22 corkage fee, but a good wine list. . A good experience,Special Features:
- Great Menuout2dinnerDined on 2/4/2014We sat by the window and had a street view but the restaurant was a bit chilly. I had duck which was perfectly cooked - close to the best I've ever had. The potatoes Anna (I think) were so delicious. My husband had the skirt steak which was tender and juicy. We dined very early because we were heading to a program at the Performing Arts Center. The restaurant was quiet but I don't know what it is like with a full dining room. I liked the ambience but I also like restaurants to be warm and cozy. I would definitely go back again. They only have wine and beer (no non-alcoholic beer). They made a special non-alcoholic drink for our non-drinker - sparkling Tangerine juice with tonic. It was refreshing and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014This restaurant is perfect for any romantic dinner. Anniversaries or any special occasion with that special someone. The food was excellent and their wine selection was perfect for any meal they were serving. The service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy Live Music and FooddavidwcDined on 1/25/2014This restaurant is becoming my favorite place to eat good food and listen to great Jazz before going to the Theater on San Pedro Square. I had the Pork Chops and it was fabulous. Large meaty loin chop in a great balsamic sauce. Also at our table was had the New York Steak, and 2 pasta dishes. All were reported very good. My only complaint is that the wines are very pricey. I opted to bring my own wine and pay the $22 corkage fee. We told the waitress we had theater tickets for 8:00 (we were at the restaurant at 7:00. She saw to it that we were served quickly and we were out of there at 7:50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to this restaurantranamamaDined on 1/21/2014I've been to this restaurant a number of times and it never disappoints. Excellent food and service, diverse menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was well prepared andepicureanVIPDined on 1/11/2014Food was well prepared and flavorful, nice selection of appetizers. Good selection of Wines by the glass, extensive selection of wines by the bottle. Service was excellent, owner was vigilant and spent time getting to know us. Very intimate and comfortable environment. Looking for a out of the way place, this is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2014We had a problem with the waiter arguing with us when he changed one of the entrees, since they ran out of what we ordered, without asking first. The lamb shank was tough, not tender. Cold air was blowing on our table. We asked to stop the cold air. He said he had stopped it earlier but we could still feel it. He walked away, came back and it was stopped until we were finishing our dinner and cold air was blowing again. When we got the bill, we were charged for a bottle of wine, where we should have only been charged for the corkage for the bottle we brought. The waiter had to correct the bill.
- New Years Celebration was awesome!rosemendozaDined on 12/31/2013I am small business owner and wanted to treat my employees to a very special dinner and New Years Celebration. 71 St. Peters was the best choice. They had a great menu, service and ambience. My employees really felt special throughout the whole evening. We had a blast ringing in the new year.Special Features:
- Very romantic, good foodnewbirdDined on 12/31/2013My boyfriend and I went there for New Year's Eve dinner. It is a very romantic restaurant, nicely decorated and dim (not dark). Food is very good and I think resonably priced for the quality of the food. We like to go there for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite in San JoseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013This is a gem of a restaurant. Love going on special occasions or for that special date night experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great NYESanJoseCarlDined on 12/31/2013With 10 people, agreeing on a restaurant to enjoy New Years Eve isn't easy. We chose 71 St Peter last year and enjoyed it so much our vote was unanimous to reserve a table again this year. We had a fantastic time. The only thing our group discussed afterwards was the time it took for 1 dessert to arrive (too long), other than that we were all very pleased yet again. Great service, tasty food and the live jazz was a plus. We'll be back. Thanks 71 St Peter team!Special Features:
- New Years Eve or AnytimetheatregoerDined on 12/31/2013Delicious food, attentive yet unobtrusive service, a varied menu. The duck "served two ways" was exceptional as was the large tender lamb shank. One of the better restaurants in downtown San Jose with ample parking in the parking structure across the street. Always a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!ChairmanMGCDined on 12/21/2013The music, good, and wine were outstanding! Will definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over all not bad. .mjm56Dined on 12/14/2013We have dined at 71 St. Peter about 5 times in the last 10 years. . Always enjoyed it and like share dining places with good friends. The food was very good and overall, I would recommend it to others. .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Night SpecialCoffeeGuyDined on 12/9/2013Went there on a very quiet Monday evening and had excellent food and service. I have been here for lunch as well for consistently good experiencesSpecial Features:
- Great Food in downtown San JoseDiva1Dined on 11/21/2013Whether it's lunch or dinner, a business meeting or a romantic meal for two you'll find great food at this small and intimate restaurant in San Pedro Square. There is plenty of parking across the street and the ambiance is just right. The menu is upscale and definitely worth the higher prices. The portions are large and definitely enough to share, if so inclined. I appreciated the large wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, Wine, MusicdavidwcDined on 11/15/2013My wife, myself and a friend ate at this restaurant. Our first delight was to find that there was going to be live music. I ordered the Duck 2 Ways, my wife ordered the Scallops and Roasted Beet appetizers while our friend ordered the Swordfish special. First of all the Duck in both the Confit and grilled preparation was cooked perfectly!! The sauce was absolutely wonderful complimenting the Duck perfectly. My wife's Scallops were also done to perfection and seasoned well. The Roasted Beet salad while tasty was over dressed which detracted from the star ingredients. The swordfish I thought was dry and over cooked. The Pineapple Salsa topping though was terrific!!. The music was perfect and the music enhanced our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.