71 North Palm Street
Ventura, CA 93001Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.71palm.com/
- Phone: 8056537222x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday -Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Didier Poirier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 71 Palm
At 71 Palm, Chef Didier prepares French American comfort food using the freshest locally farmed ingredients. Located in the historic seaside town of Ventura, guests enjoy casual elegant dining in this pet friendly charming 1910 historic landmark craftsman cottage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
71 Palm - Best Restaurants in Ventura ›
71 Palm reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (18)fit for foodies (13)romantic (12)great for outdoor dining (9)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (5)good for groups (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great find!susysailorDined on 10/2/2014I googled fine dining in Ventura, and this came up, and it is indeed. The food was very good, the wine list very nice, the service was great, and it is in an old craftsman style home with a big porch on the front. We sat outside and really had a good time. The pate was boring, but everything else was really nice. I would definitle do it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedjrfranklinDined on 9/27/2014Except for a small problem with the entrees originally served, we were very pleased with the food and service and will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014Although the server was attentive, the food itself was a letdown. It's supposed to be a French restaurant, yet simple lassics like the country pate and escargot were real misses. The pate was dry and served with 3 small heels of stale bread. The escargot served unceremoniously sans shell or escargot plate, was tough and lacked seasoning. The Kobe flatiron steak was also chewy and sinewy. The only saving grace besides the courteous staff was the decent wine list. I'm not sure if we'd give this place another chance.
- Nice place in old VenturaDavidVIPDined on 9/8/2014The food was fresh source and mostly local. It was prepared perfectly: veal oso buco, and lamb shank with wine sauce. Nice local tomato salad. Prices higher than expected ($32 for entrees; $17 for the heirloom tomato salad - although that may be because it could have been a double for two, but I didn't ask as I was too happy). Comfortable place. Knowledgeable servers.Special Features:
- Very Goodjake33VIPDined on 8/30/2014A nice off of the path location for a wonderful meal with a French flavor. We will be back in our ventures through Ventura.Special Features:
- Nice surprise!irish1101VIPDined on 8/23/2014We live in Ventura and went to 71 Palm when it first opened. We felt it was "just o.k." For whatever reason we decided to try it again this evening! WOW!!! We are so taken with the work that Didier has done to make this a truly classy restaurant. We usually have dined at Downey's or Bouchon in Santa Barbara for special occasions. 71 Palm is now in the mix for those nights. The server was terrific and the food prepared just as we had hoped for. We now view 71 Palm as a "go to" for our special dinners and a must for our of town guests. Keep it up!Special Features:
- French rests are few & far betweenlookn4memsDined on 8/22/2014So Cal has relatively few places that can be considered as serving French cuisine. This place is good, with a friendly genuine French owner/manager. Prices are fair for the quality and service. One end of the restaurant has romantic appeal, while the other gets all the noise from the open kitchen; the patio is on the chilly side being near the ocean. We are Ventura County residents and celebrated our anniversary there in August, and will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceJenniferDined on 8/15/201471 Palm was a great dining experience. The servers were friendly and attentive, the ambiance was great, and the food was AMAZING! It is a little more on the pricey side, but well worth every penny. We were very satisfied and will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryVIPDined on 7/31/2014Dog friendly! They even have a special dog menu. Such a beautiful setting and wonderful food.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodBabydivaDined on 7/30/2014We ate at 71 Palm recently and everything was excellent. The owner served us himself. The caprese salad and lobster bisque starters were delicious. My rack of lamb and my husband's pork loin were tender and perfectly cooked. We ordered wine by the glass to enjoy 2 different wines with the courses. Floating island was light and not too sweet for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stevern86Dined on 7/26/2014A must for dinner when in Ventura. Always reliable with great food, drinks, and service. Didier makes it a place where you feel welcome with personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Floating Island for dessertSachiDined on 7/26/2014Our granddaughters devoured their beautiful & melt-in-your-mouth Floating Island desserts. How nice to have this choice for dessert & it was better than one we ate in Paris! The chef prepared perfect lamb chops for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 237 reviews are from the 71 Palm reviews archive.
- Still great after all these years.DishingOjaiDined on 6/12/201471 Palm is still great after all these years. The Plat du Jour is the way to go - an amazing value and classic dishes. The petite filet is also good and cooked PERFECTLY. The rice on the side was uninspired, but that would be my only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HCVenturaDined on 6/6/2014It was a good experience, the food was very good and the service top notch. All the customers seemed to be having a good time. Expect a pleasant albeit pricey experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All we had hoped forMandTDined on 5/15/2014We celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary dinner here, and hoped it would be good based on other reviews. It was pretty fantastic! It is very quaint inside, smaller than pictures might appear. We were seated in a corner in front of a bay window with the windows open, and a lovely Ventura ocean breeze coming in. It was quiet, as it was Thursday evening at 6:30pm, and only one other table inside was occupied. Other people showed up during our stay, but it did remain quiet. The food was fantastic, from beginning to end, and was rich, tasty, and full of flavor, as we expected from high quality French cuisine. Our server (Tommaso) was professional, police, and offered impeccable service. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedItzofryDined on 5/11/2014A disappointing dining experience though perhaps our expectations were too high for Mother’s Day. The owner and staff were clearly stressed. There was no greeting, just “we’ll be with you in a few minutes.” In our reservation we had requested a table on the patio but were told when we arrived that the “downstairs staff” was overwhelmed. Our seat upstairs was reasonable though we waited quite awhile for service. Server Veronica was very nice. Expensive drinks. Salad was warm, soup was barely warm. Entrees were good quality and well-prepared though lukewarm when served. We walked past the owner, hostess and at least two servers as we left with no acknowledgement from them whatsoever. It was worth the try but we’ll probably not be going back.Special Features:
- Great Mother's DaybeefboyDined on 5/11/2014Made Mother's Day special with super service and excellent food.Special Features:
- great foodCalgalDined on 5/3/2014Beautiful presentation and great tasting food. I had the pork chop with spinach & roasted garlic. Another guest had the fillet, and another a fish special. Everyone really enjoyed the food and we all split a piece of the flour less chocolate cake. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect 70thljhlDined on 5/3/2014Our special birthday celebration was perfect at 71 Palm. Bread arrived with dinner rather than ahead of time...but no big deal. Food was delicious, service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014The food, service and ambiance were wonderful! Loved, loved, loved the chocolate martini!Special Features:
- delicious!ladyZVIPDined on 4/16/2014I ordered one of the speciasl, the Tilapia with mushroom sauce. ..simply delicious. So was the leek soup and flourless chocolate cake with ganache....actually the cake was amazing!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gave it a shot but won't returnFamilydinersDined on 3/18/2014Our family decided to try this restaurant because we had never had french food before. It was WAY overpriced for what you get. On top of that, it wasn't even very good. We were nice and tipped our waitress 20% even though we didn't like it particularly. We won't return. Sorry. All thumbs down.Special Features:
- Rich food but pretty goodSimplehealthytastebudVIPDined on 3/1/2014Not the kind of meal I eat very often. Rich Sauces. Heavy meats. French Fries. But it was pretty good. The service was outstanding. The old house, with fire place going, was comfortable on a rainy night. A nice option.
- A superb dining experienceBillGDined on 2/25/2014The food is simply excellent. 71 Palm consistently serves fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comforting French CuisineMisterSeriousVIPDined on 2/14/2014We dined for Valentine's Day and the set menu, offered in three seatings, was satisfying and service was handled well despite the pressure of the night and a full house.Special Features:
- Valentine's DinnerDBLeFevreVIPDined on 2/14/2014Special menu that was short, but well thought out. The food was excellent and the service was great! With our reservation, there was about a four minute wait, which shows attention to detail,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayBooked2DineVIPDined on 2/14/2014Had a great dinner at the earliest of their three seatings (all fully booked). Steaks were delicious and cooked just the way we wanted them. The flourless chocolate cake finished the meal wonderfully. This restaurant never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate Spot on the HillTwoFrenchiesDined on 2/14/2014This was our first time at this cute little house on the hill. The food was excellent and the historic landmark-turned-restaurant had a nice intimate atmosphere. The tables for two are a bit close together for our taste. It was a very busy night so it took awhile to get drinks and be waited on but all-in-all, we enjoyed the evening and may return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayCmgruppDined on 2/14/2014I went on Valentine's day; while the menu was very small, the food was delicious. The meal was served quickly, which can be taken as good or bad depending on your mood and plans. Service was rushed and seemed a little thin, as it was valentines day, although I only had my drink refilled once, otherwise I had to refill my own water. While I will probably not return on a busy day, I will definitely come back on a less busy day, as the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyVentura1Dined on 2/14/2014Portions too small, should have included dinner roll, veg, and individual dessert for the price. Granted it was a valentines day dinner special but $ 55 per person was rather pricey . Had an assembly line feel.Special Features:
- Food quality is good and soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Food quality is good and so as the service. the only thing I didn't like is too cozy very small table good thing we sat outside patio. It's pet friendly but they didn't have a menu for our dog maybe because of the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to DineRoadiniersVIPDined on 2/5/2014Was looking for a quiet comfortable dinner in Ventura and 71 palm turned out to be the perfect fit. Nice combination of French and california dishes from oysters for appetizers, fresh fish for entrees and crepes for dessert. Everyone was quite pleasant and the eveening was a success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was nice to see that 71lizzard55Dined on 1/18/2014It was nice to see that 71 Palm hasn't lost its charm, since all of us that went had not been in some time. The food was delicious. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love 71WeLove71Dined on 1/18/2014If you haven't been here, you're missing out on one of Ventura's fine dining gems and outstanding wine list. The service is only comparable to the creations of Chef Didier. But please don't bother him at the bar...that's our seat on Saturday night. -Marc and AngieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like ParisxprofDined on 1/15/2014We spend a lot of time in France and love it, but when we just want a little French experience we go to 71 Palm. Didier's warm welcome, a little chat in French, some great French food, and we are back in Paris for the evening. We're big and!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, outstanding servicexenobiaDined on 1/7/2014Fairly low key, very good food, with daily specials. Nice setting, in an old victorian house. We did not see the upstairs. What really made it stand out was the excellent service. Our waitpreson and helper were very attentive without being overbearing. Food came promptly, but it was clear that we were free to linger over drinks, coffee etc. We had not been to this restaurant for several years, but now we will put it on our list of regulars, They even crumbed the table. I haven't seen that done in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, service so so...CraigDined on 12/31/2013Arrived for the 7pm New Year's eve seating, table for 5 was ready when we arrived - confusion within the staff (busy with the 5pm seating leaving and the 7pm seating arriving). Once seated we waited 10 minutes before we were offered drinks or water. We spent that time going over the menu and ordered when the waitress came for our drink order. Drinks and water arrived promptly followed by appetizers. We then waited near an hour for our food. The meal arrived and was excellent. We were offered desert and ordered a couple with coffee, the waitress stating it could take 10 minutes for the lava cake. A member of our group heard the wait staff telling a 9pm seating client that their table was not ready because people ordered cake...Special Features:
- We were very disappointed.paulDined on 12/31/2013We were very disappointed. The owner, Didier literally jacked up the prices to ridiculous. We were shocked. The worst part about it was that the food was less than mediocre. WAY WORSE than his everyday menu.My chicken was so dry I thought an amateur made it! The cocktails were $16 bucks each!!!!!!! Why do restaurants do this to their loyal patrons? It was sad. We almost got up and left. We will never eat there again. I can't understand the greed. If you are going to stick it to people, then at least have VERY memorable food!!!!! GEEEZ!!!!!!!! We left feeling very sad and bent over, so to speak.Special Features:
- Good luckOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/28/2013We dined here over the Christmas holiday (4 people) and will not return unless they make signifcant changes. The menu selection is decent but the food is marginal considering we ordered 4 separate dishes and nobody experienced a knockout dish. I don't like to slam any local business and suggest you read reviews on several sites before you make a choice. My only real complaint is the staff is very unprofessional and when paying $30+ for a dish I expect the wait staff to be well trained and efficient. I can't remember the last place I visited where the staff would reach across in front of our faces to deliver or retreive dishes. No uniforms for staff and not impressed by people wearing tennis shoes when I dress for a dining experience.
- Shining Gem in VenturaBroderWriterDined on 12/17/2013Few foodies would rate Ventura, California as a hotbed of great or even imaginative cuisine. We have a few food trucks, a few authentic Mexican restaurants, one notably hip restaurant in downtown—not naming names, but more famous for decor than food—and well, a few odds and ends and that's about it. Alone, 71 Palm stands out as THE restaurant for fine food in the city. Located in a beautifully restored Craftsman house on a hill in downtown, inside is homey and pleasant. Service is unobtrusive and superb. The crab cakes were heavenly, my rack of lamb gorgeously crusted & impossibly tender. All six in our party raved about their dishes. The apple tatin with caramel, amazing. Thank you, Chef Didier, for elevating our town with your excellence.Special Features: