606 Vanderbilt Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11238Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://606vanderbiltbklyn.com/
- Phone: 7182300125
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Supper: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ilene Rosen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 606 R&D
606 R&D is an intimate neighborhood restaurant in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn. Our open kitchen features seasonal American food, both classic and eclectic, alongside a unique list of wines, beers & specialty cocktails. Professional and friendly service welcome you to our comfortable bar area, dining room and garden. We hope to see you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
606 R&D - Best Restaurants in Prospect Heights ›
606 R&D reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (17)fit for foodies (14)romantic (10)great for brunch (10)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (7)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- summer nightBrooklyncentricDined on 8/7/2014Not sure how many times I've eaten at this consistently great place, but somehow it always feels fresh and fun. The garden is so pretty and comfortable. I've eaten in the garden when they've had the heaters on and on warn summer nights (like this one) when it was just right. Interesting cocktails and a smart wine and beer list get things going. Salads and appetizers are fresh and delicious, leading to entrees that are prepared beautifully with great sides. We avoid desserts but wish we didn't and the French press coffee caps things off. Service is attentive, friendly but not intrusive. Always a restorative experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner perfectionLovesItalianDined on 7/29/2014We went for our five year anniversary and it was an incredible experience! We were seated in the backyard, which is large and spacious. The food was incredible -- get the bread with honey butter to start----AMAZING. In fact, everything we ate was delicious, including the donuts we had at the end of the meal. The service was impeccable and we even had the opportunity to chat with one of the owners, a lovely, gracious person. We left very full and very satisfied. It was the best dining experience we've had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent excellence.amory8VIPDined on 7/27/2014The food: balanced, fresh in both flavor and presentation, generous. The service: prompt, professional, unobtrusive. The atmosphere: quiet, yet kid-friendly. A neighborhood joint, a neighborhood gem—that’s 606 R&D.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Sunday menuSaraVIPDined on 7/13/2014The Sunday dinner menu was a Greek theme. We enjoyed everything tremendously from the first bite. It was very relaxing to sit down to a fixed menu where the chef had done the thinking for us. My only complaint was the dessert, which was not to my liking. Our daughter lives very nearby, and we will make this our regular place for dinner together. If only we had someplace this good in our own neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodgoodtimes201Dined on 6/27/2014Fresh, delicious Chatham oysters ($1/pc) at 6pm; followed by inventive flatbread combination of ingredients and shared, perfectly done, scrumptious, burger. Totally friendly attentive service and simple setting.Special Features:
- Sunday dinner just so-soGensieDined on 6/15/2014I love R & D but this Sunday the family-style dinner was a disappointment. The food (fried chicken, hush puppies, mac & cheese, collard greens) was greasy and bland. This is a sharp contrast with the regular menu which always offers memorable dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!PmharryVIPDined on 5/31/2014This was out first time here. Food was excellent! Special shout out to the bar. My Manhattan was one of the best I've ever had! Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 52 reviews are from the 606 R&D reviews archive.
- meh...NYCeaterDined on 5/11/2014The service was mediocre and I felt like they were giving us attitude. Unprofessional. And they charge for toast. Food was pretty good. Hope they get some better management for the hostesses and waitstaff.
- Dinner before Cher concertOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2014The food was wonderful. Limited menu. Our server made sure we were finished with time to spare for our event. I would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Anniversary findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2014Decided to try this spot out for my 5th wedding anniversary. Like!! For us, it was the cool wait staff as well as the striped bass that did it for us. I recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/16/2014food great... interesting twists but not too fussy. the donuts are delicious!Special Features:
- Great food, but some kinkscarlmDined on 4/12/2014The food at R&D was great! Having said that, and fully aware of the fact that fine dining usually means small portion sizes, the portions at R&D were tiny. When you pay $30 per plate, you expect to be satisfied, however everyone at our table made jokes about needing to eat again in an hour. We had the duck, fish and burger and we were all left hungry. All of the plates needed a heartier helping of side dishes, like veggies, to fill it out. Had I had that I would have provided a glowing review- and I still think the restaurant can achieve that if it takes this advice to heart. Also, the bread is AMAZING, but it should be free. You want people to walk away saying "that place has amazing bread" not " that place makes you pay for bread"Special Features:
- Great food. Very limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014Great food. Very limited menu but everything is fantastic.Special Features:
- Lovin' ItLesSoeursDined on 3/5/2014R&D is terrific. Got a last minute reservation and was warmly welcomed. Terrific meal. Attentive, accommodating service. Interesting flavor combinations. This was only my second visit but desserts were disappointing both times. That won't keep me from coming back. Looking forward to being able to dine in the garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- secret of VanderbiltOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014Great good and service. Congenial atmosphere. Great wine. Fair prices. Would gladly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysDanielKarenVIPDined on 2/21/2014This wonderful place just continues to be consistent, interesting and delicious. Cozy, inviting and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived Up to ExpectationsLesSoeursDined on 2/20/2014Lovely decor and elegant ambience. Charming, low-key waiter, Justin. Loved the three-onion bread and vegetable sides (kale; brussels sprouts). My sister had the pork belly and sweet potato soup and gave them two thumbs up. The chocolates for dessert were not as interesting as they sounded. No other complaints, and that's a minor one as the chocolates were high quality. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i guess i went with high expectatioThePTAVIPDined on 2/15/2014i guess i went with high expectations..... the food was only ok....but the bill was $350 for four people in brooklyn!....for that, the food should been far more impressive.
- Great! Service needs improvement.ImaniVIPDined on 1/11/2014So glad I tried this place out. Lived up to the hype. Did not like that they refuse to seat you even with a reservation until the whole party has arrived; and while our server was friendly, it felt like they were trying to rush me and my guest out as we lingered catching up; but it was a generally enjoyable experience. Would go again. (The doughnuts are as good as everyone says.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing New Year's DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013The service was much too quick and we felt rushed; we were not even done with our first course when they brought out the second. The food was disappointing. This was our second time at 606R&D and we actually enjoyed the first one. While we really enjoy the unusual picked foods, the meal was rather boring. The oysters were the best part with some nice sauces. The squab was tough and hard to cut even with a sharp knife. The lamb shank was simply boring and so were the desserts. The meringue was tough, chewy and hard to cut! At $65 prix fixe, perhaps it was too ambitious.
- perfect brunch spotBritneyerinDined on 12/21/2013Great place for a cozy, romantic brunch. Food is fresh, healthy and delicious. The atmosphere was very inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, inventive yet stillOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/19/2013Amazing, inventive yet still homey food. Lots of vegetables used. Cozy but polished atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the waiterDoriDined on 12/14/2013Didn't catch the waiter's name, but he was very polite, thorough, fast and knowledgeable! We had the onion bread to start off with... so yummy! It was cheesy and definitely nice and onion-y. I had the fried calamari with winter veggie stew. I would recommend the chef to go a little more on the stew and a little less with the calamari. The fact the calamari was fried made the dish a little heavier. My boyfriend had the duck breast which was amazing! Perfect portion and perfectly cooked. I would definitely recommend the coffee at the end of your meal - we were too full for dessert. The ambiance was beautiful and the place was very clean and open. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurry, the word is out!!MitchDined on 12/12/2013Brunch is a winner and the lines prove it. Dinner is a special treat. Only the freshest ingredients are used and cooked just in time to get to your table. The menu is a nice variety for everyone to get what they like w/ a choice for the vegeteraians among us. Those dishes are so special that I had to reach over my duck breast to grab a forkful of my wife's scrumptious roasted celery root. Only great beer on tap alongside some keg wine in addition to the bottle list. Can't wait for the spring again to eat outdoors in their beautiful cozy garden. Don't leave without ending the meal with a freshly made doughnut. Get there soon. The lines haven't formed yet for the dinner crowd so now is your opportunity to experience greatness without a waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night Out for TwoKaylaDined on 11/8/2013My boyfriend and I wanted to go out for a special dinner. I found the place online and easily made a reservation. We were a bit late, but they held our reservation for us anyway. Very nice. The crowd was lively. The food was moderately priced and the service was excellent. We both really enjoyed our meals and the desert was fantastic. Great restaurant for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything meshesWoodyDined on 10/26/2013A complete concept neighborhood gem. We were greeted like old friends and treated to fresh donuts while our party assembled. Six for brunch was a little crowded but service was smooth. Menu has good range and it would be easy to return again and again for other choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brooklyn gemMg410VIPDined on 10/25/2013Supremely nice wait staff and beautiful decor! Would definitely recommend this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience ... againProfDined on 10/24/2013606 R&D is a Brooklyn gem. Food is always good, flavors are interesting, cocktails of the day delicious. With a small group (two couples) it was the perfect place to go after a trip to the Brooklyn Museum. Looking forward to another visit....soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all aroundAprilDined on 10/20/2013Best service I've had in a while; fresh, interesting food; simple, fresh, classy decor; good prices. Would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but $$$$PepcycleDined on 10/12/2013Nice joint. Menu is innovative and food quality is great. Cocktails and beer selection are very good. Bacon is smokey and donuts are heavenly. I just have trouble paying $130 for brunch for four. Imagine if we had chosen sparkling water instead of tap at $8.bottle or more coffee at $3/serving. If you asked my wife, she would say its perfect. She had poached eggs over polenta with goat cheese and loved it. Her Bloody Mary was one of the best. My French Toast was only average with fresh apples and raisins. Glad I went, but it won't be a regular stop. PS: Hipster and Stroller Alert PSS: Close enough to Prospect Park to walk there!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for a dateNiceMealDined on 10/5/2013had a great meal with wonderful and attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny brunchsphinx91Dined on 9/29/2013We were seated at a lovely outdoor table for 8 adults and two kids. Excellent brunch, imaginative offerings and very accommodating when side dishes were requested for the children. Staff was attentive without being overbearing and just generally nice. Highly recommend their doughnuts too! We will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a surprise!nomiDined on 9/24/2013We pass this place all the time and never thought of it for a foodie place. Every bite was a delight! :)Special Features:
- Plates dropping, over and overZannieDined on 9/13/2013We chose this neighborhood spot for a family birthday party. Staff was super friendly and accommodating over the phone when I needed to change our arrival time and announce that one person would be late. Service, however, at the table was only moderately acceptable. Waitress brought one person the wrong dessert and then seemed a little argumentative when she was told she'd gotten it wrong. Food:cost ration unappealing. Many meals no better than fair. The real annoyance, which went on for much of the evening, was the staff member(s?) who were either dropping plates or staking them well within hearing of diners with loud clattering noises, over and over again. Poor behavior, poor layout, very unpleasant. The room, however, is lovely.
- Donuts the HighlightSamchildVIPDined on 9/8/2013Solid brunch fare with excellent donuts and one of the better BLT's I have had. Service could use an upgrade, and Bloody Mary's a reformulation, but otherwise a nicely accommodating experience for our group.Special Features:
- greatandyDined on 8/28/2013the food was fresh and delicious and the drinks were made to perfectionSpecial Features:
- seasonal delightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2013The varied menu always surprises since it changes often. The mussels in a light coconut basil broth were tender and flavorful. The garden is lovely if the weather cooperates and the inside dining room is small but never feels crowded. A repeat visit for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBrooklynDinerVIPDined on 7/16/2013Didn't realize that the weekday lunch was a prix fixe menu for $16 with no other options. The soup was very good. Ordered a chicken sandwich which was also very good. But, overall, the experience was not satisfactory. Can't quite put my finger on the reason.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2013606 R&D has a cool atmosphere, the garden is great. The service was very professional, the food above average. The small menu had 5 starters and 5-6 entrees, which I normally like. However, there was no starter salad on the menu ( they had gazpacho but who doesn't these days) and overall the food didn't seem right for July. The ubiquitous pork belly was served as a starter, with pickled vegetables that did not provide enough contrast or acidity. Their homemade cornbread, served with honey butter, tasted good but was too rich a start. The pork chop was good but the "wreck fish" special came with slices of tomato and red onion which seemed more appropriate for a burger than a pricey fish.Special Features:
- Please fix your CC machines!NYEaters2013VIPDined on 6/29/2013Please fix your CC machines! Asking ppl to go to the ATM a block away after enjoying a good meal, and having to withdraw several hundred dollars just ruins the experience.Special Features: