127 N Tryon St
Entrance at corner 5th St. & Church St.
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.5church.com/
- Phone: 7049191322x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 - 3:00
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Late night begins at 11:00pm
Saturday Brunch: 11:00am-4:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday Supper: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jamie Lynch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Private and Semi-private rooms available for groups from 6 to 300.
A word from 5Church
5Church New American cuisine served in a casual yet refined atmosphere. Cutting edge design, world class food and stellar service are all to be expected.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
5Church - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
5Church reviews from OpenTable diners
295 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)hot spot (142)special occasion (128)vibrant bar scene (128)good for groups (93)romantic (82)neighborhood gem (78)notable wine list (53)great for brunch (49)late-night find (48)great for lunch (31)scenic view (12)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I ate here for our four year anniversary and everything was great. She loved the decor and our service was exceptional. Her only regret was that we haven't dined here earlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience of your lifeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014I had the most amazing time at 5Church. The food was truly superb. The staff are delightful and the presentation is outstanding!vI highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- RDT215Dined on 10/12/2014Good food, reasonable brunch prices that includes unlimited drinks. Staff very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!WinegirlDined on 10/11/2014We had family in from Georgia and were celebrating a belated birthday. Not only did we get to show off our beautiful city but found a great restaurant in 5Church! Food was wonderful! We had the seared scallops, and brazed shortribs, they did not disappoint, and recommend them both. Great atmosphere, bar scene downstairs was vibrant, up stairs was more calm with dimmed lighting, it was perfect. The hostess pointed out the handwritten pages of a book a local artist had written on the entire ceiling of the upper level, and also a counterfeit $5.00 bill a tattoo artist had painted on the back wall. The atmosphere and food were fantastic, we'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely dine there again!FoodfinderDined on 10/11/2014Steaks and chops were cooked to perfection! Spring rolls were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aaaaVIPDined on 10/11/2014This was my fourth visit and things have changed. Waiter was almost too attentive until I told him the monk fish which had highly recommended was water logged and bland and uneaten. He said he would tell the kitchen.rSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally! 5 ChurchPatMacEatsDined on 10/11/2014I've been wanting to go to this restaurant since it opened, but for some reason I never made it until this past weekend. The "first course" items looked so delicious that I considered just going with a few smaller plates. But the server sold the NC Black Grouper so well, I had to try it. The fish was delicious. It had a nice crusty top and the meat was white and moist. The red beans under the fish were okay, but the rice was fabulous. My friend had the salmon that he thought was a little bland, but I tasted the sauce and liked it very much. Another friend had the monkfish and he said it had a very nice bacon-y flavor. (I don't like bacon.) Dessert was the pistachio cookie with lemon cream thing. Wonderful! It was light and refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunch and drinksMosesDined on 10/10/2014The best lunch spot in my view. Used to have a ten dollar set that included a drink but now it's gone. Nonetheless a grest place. And it's also a great place to get drinks at night. Chic downtown 20s-30s come for socializing at thus great looking place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Acceptably MediocrewigstheoneVIPDined on 10/5/2014In fairness, dined after a Panther's game, so 5church was jammed. That said, the space is very neat (albeit dark), with a lot of varied seating options. Service was a tad overwhelmed, but generally did a good job of handling the crush. The food, however, was much weaker, and it seemed far too much was pre-prepped or had spent time waiting before being served. The crispy pork belly was tasty but served room temperature, the asparagus was drowned in Bernaise, the sauteed corn and bacon lardons was overwhelmed by the overly large lardons, the restaurant had run out of salmon, and the Kobe Flank Steak was okay, but the mashed potatoes had clearly been sitting on the plate long before the steak. Very expensive for what it was.Special Features:
- LovelyRun4food86Dined on 10/5/2014Great atmosphere charming delicious great place for brunch and stellar serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014We went there with friends before a theater matinee. The food and service were outstanding and we could not have been more pleased. The food cost also was moderate and well worth the quality of food. We'd love to go back there for dinner some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerWineNdineDined on 10/4/2014Amber was our waitress and did an outstanding job. Only one hiccup was a beer that my husband ordered to be received with dinner was forgotten but Chad stopped by our table to see how we were doing a little after the main course arrived and when my husband mentioned he had been waiting a while for it Chad went and got one right away (and we were not charged for it). Amber answered all of our questions about the menu thoroughly and was very sweet. All staff we talked to were courteous, helpful and had a good attitude. The food was delicious as well. I have to mention that it is extremely loud in the whole restaurant. If you're looking for somewhere quiet to eat/drink, this is not the establishment for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale fun and great foodcookinfoolDined on 10/4/2014Had a great dinner with a girlfriend. Food was great. Had Corn Soup with a truffle oil drizzle. Yum. Monkfish was outstanding and desserts are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining ExperienceAlinSteveDined on 10/4/2014From the hostess, server, floor manager and chef's everything was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much servicewahine1Dined on 10/3/2014this is an unusual comment to make but I would have loved less intrusive service. Ambience is 'cool' and fun and the menu is unusual…..food was very good. The big miss was our server was way too intrusive that we could hardly have a conversation with our friends. Felt like the clock was ticking the minute we sat down and that they wanted to turn the table in 45 minutes. I doubt we ever had 5 minutes between visits to our table by our waitress. I wanted to shout 'go away' we want to visit with our friends.!!!! Food was good but I wouldn't hurry back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 10/3/2014Sat in the quieter section of the restaurant but that means tables for two side by side. Not very cozy. Feels like your at dinner with six. Food and service was great.Special Features:
- Fantasticellisat2Dined on 10/2/2014Best meal we've had in a while. Would recommend 100%. Try the tasting menus if they offer one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST IN CHARLOTTEVJohnsonDined on 10/2/2014I have never in my life been to such a great restaurant! My husband and I started out with drinks at the bar then decided to move to a table for dinner and then went right back to the bar again! we just couldn't leave! The entire book of the Art of War is on the ceiling and the hostess gave us a tour of the restaurant...everything was simply phenomenal! Will surely be back!Special Features:
- Incredible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014The staff including Alyssa and Alexa both made sure we were taken care of the moment we walked into the restaurant. The special treatments of the high quality salmon, and steak with the flavorful crusts and sauces were delicious. No wonder the restaurant is nationally recognized.Special Features:
- Very disappointingBikeLadyVIPDined on 9/30/2014Worst service I've had at an Open Table restaurant. Inside so noisy as to preclude conversation. Food - nothing special.
- A DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014An online review of the wine list should have been a clue.... no prices! We had 2 bottles of Cherry Pie Pinot Noir @ $115.00 ea. This was a special occasion__ a birthday. Wine Spectator rates this wine at 90 pts. and can be purchased at retail for $25.00. I can accept doubling or tripling the price, but almost 5x? We were seated at Table #35 promptly at 7:00pm, our reservation being made a month prior. Our server was quite immature. The appetizers, salads and deserts were OK; the entrees were excellent ( We had scallops, bistro steak and short ribs.) The coup de grace is that we were presented our check before the desert and coffee were served.... about 8:15pm. I don't know how many times they turned Table # 35 that night.
- Stache && CookStacheVIPDined on 9/27/2014Interesting decor. Service good but too many people on "the team" making it difficult to determine server roles. ALL the food was over salted which seems to be the norm today. Wine list by the glass undistinguished and limited. Management nice but should be more proactive.Special Features:
- QueenCityDined on 9/27/2014Had an excellent evening and amazing service by Michelle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm becoming a regularFoodieDined on 9/26/2014Love this place. The scallops are amazing. My wife had the filet cooked to perfection . Wine list is excellent. This will definitely become a regular for me.
- Excellent Experience!FoodieDined on 9/24/2014Went to 5Church for a special night out and the food was fantastic. An added bonus was the great server who was knowledgeable and friendly but not intrusive. I will definitely return to 5Church.Special Features:
- A sure-bet in UptownKathyPeterVIPDined on 9/23/2014We really like 5Church for food, service, atmosphere. However, it is loud so consider yourself warned if you want a quiet, romantic evening.Special Features:
- Top QualityFoodieDined on 9/21/2014We visited 5Church for the second time this weekend and the food was just as good this time. If you are looking for top quality food and ingredients that can normally only be found in large cities, this restaurant is the right place. The flavors truly come out in every dish and everything is cooked to perfection. Portions are generous. So happy to have found a restaurant of this quality only one town over! We will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We were disappointed. Granted it was Saturday night, but there was an hour wait between our appetizer and entrée. The manager apologized, but with the loudness of the restaurant and being hungry, it wasn't a great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The corn chowder was excellent, as was the duck special. The majority of the rest was good, but nothing special, and for the price point I'd expect more. The service was friendly but lacked knowledge about the menu. The interior is really interesting. Hopefully they will put a little more work into the menu and service and I think it could be a great restaurant. Good wine list and cocktails.Special Features:
- A lot of hype40birthdaypartyDined on 9/20/2014Food was ok but nothing to write home about. Not one dish stood out. Maybe my expectations were too high. Our table was a nightmare. Wobbled and the top was lose. We had to use a napkin to level the top so our drinks wouldn't slide off. We informed our server and she said "yeah that table is bad". When we asked about the specials.....she had no clue. Something with duck she said. Never saw a manager all night. We may give them another try because we have heard great things. Maybe it was just an off night. Complimentary valet parking was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!theFoodiediva6Dined on 9/17/2014The food was terrific and the ambiance was very fun and upscale. Was the place to be on a Wed night with my mentor group and other professionals in the area. In addition the drinks were good and so was dessert. I completely recommend the smores trifle!!!!! Was amazing!!! The is also some street parking but also valet so easier to get to than you might think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch / Too Loud for BizOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Great Lunch but the ambiance was too loud for an effective biz meeting
- Good FoodMPYLDined on 9/16/2014The food is always good. However my friend requested the catfish which she loved, but she initially requested to have the jalopena salsa on the side. We the plate arrived the salsa was on top of the catfish, but the managers stepped in and had the dish repaired and everything came out the correct the next time expected for the fish was not served on top of the black eye peas as it prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentative or Annoying?AFamilyofFoodiesVIPDined on 9/16/2014I enjoy learning about a restaurant's story from servers. Great waiters has a sixth sense when it comes to reading customers. They know when to stop by the table and how to do it without becoming a distraction. My dinner at 5Church on 9/16 was disrupted far too many times by a server who excessively wanted to communicate and check in on us. I specifically wrote in my Open Table reservation that this was a business meal. I lost count how many times our server came to our table, but he wasn't respectful to our serious conversation. Hope this is a learning experience for the server and manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014The food was fantastic but the service was VERY slow. My coctail took about 10 minutes while the others had their drinks. Entrees and deserts also took a long time to come out.Special Features:
- SCFoodieDined on 9/14/2014This was our first time dining at 5Church. Great food and service! The ambience was wonderful as well!Special Features:
- PeteDined on 9/13/2014Two older couples went on Sat. night. Noise level high and got higher as the 30-somethings poured in. Lots of fun for the young set, but we couldn't hear at our table. Noise level high. Food good, but service needs a bit of freshening. All sides served "family style", but no serving spoons provided. Mussels served, but no shell fish forks in house. Food quality was excellent. Staff tries to please. Should have gone during a quieter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60 Second SteakScoutDined on 9/13/2014The 60 Second Steak is a must. Wonderful interior and a fun place for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local trendy retaurantPreibmeisterVIPDined on 9/13/2014That is close to Center City and all the amenities.Special Features:
- Teri1Dined on 9/13/2014We were entertaining friends from Atlanta and wanted to find a cool place for brunch that was not a chain. We were disappointed in the quality of the food. The location and the décor are great! It has a cool style with a contemporary upscale feel. The menu selection looks great, but unfortunately the food itself was "just okay" The waffle was dry and it didn't have much flavor at all. I've had better waffles at many other restaurants. The 4 other people in our party ordered a variety of dishes and said their food was just ok, not worth the money. No one at our table ever said. "Wow, this is really good!" Most everyone left food on their plate. We were disappointed after looking forward to this brunch for a week.Special Features: