127 N Tryon St
Entrance at corner 5th St. & Church St.
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.5church.com/
- Phone: 7049191322x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 - 3:00
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Late night begins at 11:00pm
Saturday Brunch: 11:00am-4:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday Supper: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jamie Lynch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: 40 Seated Dinner, 100 Standing Room Mixers
Business/Networking Dinners and Mixers, Rehearsal Dinners, Wedding Receptions, Bachelorette and Birthday Parties, Special Menu Packages.
- Private Party Contact: Mandi Matthews 7049191322x
- Special Events: Private and Semi-private rooms available for groups from 6 to 300.
A word from 5Church
5Church New American cuisine served in a casual yet refined atmosphere. Cutting edge design, world class food and stellar service are all to be expected.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
5Church - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
5Church reviews from OpenTable diners
301 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (147)vibrant bar scene (138)special occasion (136)hot spot (128)good for groups (88)neighborhood gem (80)romantic (80)notable wine list (55)great for brunch (53)late-night find (48)great for lunch (27)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Very disappointed with the serviceSherrieDined on 8/31/2014Our waitress was extremely unattentive and we had to keep flagging down the busboy and other waitresses.Special Features:
- nice dinner spotnania38VIPDined on 8/31/2014nice dinner spot to go with friends before a night out on the town. Wine was great, food was delicious and good portion for price. Original menu options, good ambiance and great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great crispy tofuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The menu seems most notable for steaks, chops and the lamb burger, but my date (not a big meat eater) was very happy with the crispy tofu. Something for everyone.Special Features:
- Recommend for sureDJONESVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food was outstanding! Love the ambience, the only reason I would not give it a 5 was due to the server, she was going so fast all the time that she was unattentive to the needs of the table literally flying by dropping off a drink and not checking on any others needs. Several draft beers were served warm then finally had to go to bottled beer. The food Was just amazing! Servers need to slow down and pay attention then 5 stars for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I booked this restaurant based off of previous reviews from OpenTable and it was AMAZING!! Everything from when you enter the door. The hostess staff was very welcoming and inviting, they also knew we were celebrating our anniversary by the note I put on our reservation. They even made us a few,very sweet. The waitress was great and very attentive and the food...it was FANTASTIC!! We had calamari for an appetizer and I had the short rib, which was like cutting through butter, so tender. My husband had the hanger steak and fries. The steak was very flavorful and he said the fries were the best he ever had. The decor was beautiful and the bar as well. The pace was packed and we went for dinner at seven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couples night out on the town!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We brought some out of town guests to dinner at 5church. We had been before but They were really tickled with the setting. Everyone commented on how much they enjoyed their meal. I had the scallops that were delicious! A couple of the quests in our party had special dietary needs that they easily made accommodations for. Service was great. A little drafty in the restaurant for some of the women. I had heard there had been some concerns with the noise level at 5church but we didn't really notice that. Maybe because we were one of the loud tables. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and Lousy ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We were at 5Church for restaurant week and were very impressed with food and service. When we were there last Saturday night, celebrating a birthday with family which we noted on the reservation, we thought we took a wrong turn and landed in a nightclub for twenty somethings. Our service was terrible - missing silverwear, drinks that didn't show up, no knowledge of wine list, mispronouncing key terms that any server should be familiar with and blaring soundtrack that didn't permit conversation unless it was at shouting level. The food was outstanding and the chef(s) were shortchanged by the terrible service that distracted from the food preparation and presentation which were fantastic. I would not go back to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/20145Church was everything I was looking for in a great dining experience. The service and food were both wonderful, and the ambiance was very modern and trendy. The server was very knowlegable in the food and especially the wine. I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, OK foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I read an article in a magazine and decided to try. Really nice decoration and good ambiance. Food and service were good enough for what we were hoping but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall highly recommendedjjm4u2Dined on 8/26/2014Waitress was awesome, food was very good...I would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic and Upscale VibeCLTBelleDined on 8/23/2014Great for starting the night out right! very good cocktails and great music! Chill environment where you can socialize. This is not a club/dancing atmosphere but that is what is great about it. Sometimes you just want to be fancy and social :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing steak!BushLeagueDined on 8/23/201460 second strip was one of the best steaks I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!defoDined on 8/23/2014The atmosphere and the food were exceptional. Service was also very good.Special Features:
- YummyJillDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed the tasting menu plus matching wines. Generous pours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chatty waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Too much noise and activity for my taste. Waiter needs retraining not to be so intrusive and talkative.
- Good Pre Show MealMickeyBDined on 8/23/2014We were impressed by the food. The Catfish was on par according to our friends with what they get in Louisiana. It had a nice balance of spices and the breading was great. Once we told our server we were on a deadline, he was on top of everything checking that we were "good on time"Special Features:
- Not your everyday PB&JEatOutMoreOftenDined on 8/21/2014I have always regarded the PB&J as the quintessential lunch sandwich - one that shouldn't be messed with. We ordered the sandwich special...a PB&J with bacon and jalapeno peppers, as a lark. I ate the whole thing and now I have to eat my words. It was fantastic. The heat from the peppers was the perfect kick with the PB&J. And bacon is good with anything right?! 5Church was a visual treat too - from a dazzling array of unigue lighting to the multi-level chalkboard ceiling tiles covered in discourse. Seemed empty during the weekday lunch hour...what a shame!Special Features:
- Good for pleasure not for buisinessloudDined on 8/20/2014The cocktails were great- this place is not stingy with their alcohol. This dinner was for a business casual dinner but the music was so loud that we couldnt hear eachother or even our server very well. The appetizers and entrees were good excet 3 of our guests ordered the fish and all said it was a bit dry. The aps, chicken and filet tasted amazing though. I would absolutly come back here and recommend to friends and family but I do not recommend if you are looking to have a serious or professional converstation. The restaurant is very clean, the service was good, and the food was great with a really hip and fun atmosphere. It was just wrong for what we needed it for.Special Features:
- Good food but...CGTracyDined on 8/19/2014I had high expectations based on a Charlotte Magazine review. Let me say from the outset, the food was very good. Two of the three of us had their signature strip and it was flavored will and great size. Pizza with shrimp was very tasty although I would have like a shrimp on even distribution (i.e. needed a couple more); the calamari was cooked perfectly. One of the party got the catfish. He enjoyed it but not the sides that came with it (black eyed pea concoction); they deserts were reportedly of high repute and made in house but we were too full. For me, the deserts offered looked all to be too heavy. My biggest complaint had to due with the noise level and poor physical finish of the place..more of a pub/after work place.Special Features:
- Sucks with a Capital SBillCruseDined on 8/19/2014The food was okay. Nothing wrong but absolutely nothing special. But you've got to understand, this is perhaps the most special restaurant in the history of all creation. You are badgered to death with that branding message the minute you walk through the door. The waiter reminds you that this is a chef's restaurant, whatever that means. Then you have to listen to sermon about the decor. Do I really, really care? Then, he, the waiter was a guy with his shirt tail hanging out, stops by every two minutes to make sure you're having a wonderful dining experience, while he pointedly upsells you on a serving of asparagus. No kidding, he came to the table at least twenty times. Running out of characters. Can I get my money back?
- Brilliant BrunchCourtDined on 8/17/2014Some good friends and I had brunch at 5Church this past Sunday and it was fantastic! The food delicious, wait staff friendly and attentive. And when they say "bottomless" mimosas, they aren't kidding! Our glasses were never not full! Was such a fun brunch date with friends and we look forward to coming back!Special Features:
- Great steak!mjm259Dined on 8/16/2014The 60-second NY Strip Steak is a legitimate great steak. While this is not a steakhouse, the 60-second steak puts much more expensive steakhouses to shame.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/20145 Church was very nice. Modern decor, good food, yummy drinks, ok service.Special Features:
- Great service; so-so foodQuixoteDined on 8/16/2014--Service: Hostess seemed like she'd rather be somewhere else; but our waitress was excellent! --Food: Only so-so. My wife and I had brunch here. She got the hanger steak and fried eggs, and I got the crab cakes and poached eggs. Not a meal that I'll remember. --Atmosphere: Nice enough place; menus need to be replaced.
- Hottest Spot in CharlotteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014My favorite restaurant uptown hands down. Never boring. Tasty food. We did their new summer tasting menu. Great deal for 5 courses. Best place to people watch while having dinner and cocktails. Saw Michael Jordan too!Special Features:
- Miss.SimplyputVIPDined on 8/15/2014My friend and I visited 5Church this past weekend and by the décor we thought this may be a winner. The service was fine... not bad, but not great. I ordered the gnocchi and my friend a chickpea salad (which was small). The gnocchi itself was nice, but the flavor was covered in salt. Maybe the chef accidently dumped the salt shaker into my food??? My friend said her salad was fine, but did not like her order of CAROLINA CATFISH... she said the flavor was off. I tried the Monk Fish which I felt was over cooked and again salted to death. The one thing 5 Church did right was the WILD BERRY MOJITO- Yum! The crowd was filled with 20 something's (there was a big birthday party) this Fri evening and it was loud, but that does not bother me.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsCraigWWDined on 8/14/2014Expected OK menu and food given the Bar Scene...Top shelf appetizers, main course and drinks...Definitely would recommend...Special Features:
- Contemporary vibeDiajoyDined on 8/14/2014The décor was definitely urban chic. There seemed to be an after work crowd in the bar. Lots of opportunity to people watch.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceMdf1225VIPDined on 8/14/2014When sat the hostess asked will you be diner by 8pm as we asked for a different table. Rude! Then service was mediocre, when she came by she was pleasant, though she didn't offer us final drinks or dessert, just the bill. The food was average, nothing worth going back for...as a restaurant you should want something to bring people back to the restaurant.
- Top Notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Had a great dining experience! The food, service, and vibe was amazing. Had a great cocktail the VIPER and Wasabi Salmon dish. Wine selection was perfect. Had a nice recommendation from their Sommelier. After dinner we decided to stay for their bar scene which was loads of fun. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItFoodismyLifeDined on 8/13/2014Came back because we heard they had some new items on the menu. And it was all good. Service was on point as usual. Love the energy of this place. Can't wait to get back to CharlotteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!ntn55Dined on 8/11/201460 second New York strip was awesome! Super friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in CharlotteColandcourtDined on 8/10/2014I was in town visiting my daughter and heard that 5Church was a good spot for brunch. It did not disappoint. Delicious food, attentative waitstaff, great mimosas and comfortable setting. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- A FavoriteDandDDined on 8/9/2014Another great visit to 5Church! Fabulous food, great vibe and love the decor. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Few hits many misses.MichaelLincolnDined on 8/8/2014Plus: calamari was very good. Chickpea mint salad good. Bread okay. Bolognese would have been good if the chef handn't tripped and fallen while holding the truffle oil bottle. Lamb burger might have been good had they finished cooking it. Summary: great location. Good atmosphere. Preposterous wine prices. Good calamari. Flawed entrees. Disappointing service.
- very happyHappyDined on 8/8/2014In Charlotte for the weekend and 5 Church was recommended by a friend who lives there. We loved it! great service, great food.Special Features:
- Horrible Service, Mediocre FoodFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 8/6/2014This was my first time back to 5 Church in a year and boy was I disappointed. The restaurant was a relative ghost town for lunch and I can now tell why. The service was slow and inattentive, the server frowned a lot, the drinks weren't kept full, and the check took 25 minutes (!!) to receive and settle after we were done, even after we told the server we had a meeting and needed to head out quickly. The lamb burger was pretty good, but the fries were almost indelibly overlooked. Very disappointed and won't be going there again after that experience!
- Great LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/20145 Church is an AWESOME place to go to lunch. I had the lamb burger and it was DELICIOUS. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CHDHCHDHVIPDined on 8/3/2014A great restaurant and great food that was unfortunately spoiled by poor service. One example is the flat sodas experienced by our entire table, shrugged off by the server as "that's just the way our drinks are". Timing seemed to be off from start to finish and we waited extended periods of time for drinks, food and the check. Likely just a bump in the road for an otherwise solid restaurant but it may be a while before we return to 5Church.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchKendraVIPDined on 8/3/2014The poached eggs /crab cakes in jalapeno burre blanc sauce was amazing. There were several things on the menu that I just could decide from because everything sounded delicious.Special Features: