127 N Tryon St
Entrance at corner 5th St. & Church St.
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.5church.com/
- Phone: 7049191322x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 - 3:00
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Late night begins at 11:00pm
Saturday Brunch: 11:00am-4:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday Supper: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jamie Lynch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: 40 Seated Dinner, 100 Standing Room Mixers
Business/Networking Dinners and Mixers, Rehearsal Dinners, Wedding Receptions, Bachelorette and Birthday Parties, Special Menu Packages.
- Private Party Contact: Mandi Matthews 7049191322x
- Special Events: Private and Semi-private rooms available for groups from 6 to 300.
A word from 5Church
5Church New American cuisine served in a casual yet refined atmosphere. Cutting edge design, world class food and stellar service are all to be expected.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
5Church - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
5Church reviews from OpenTable diners
288 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (144)special occasion (137)hot spot (137)vibrant bar scene (135)good for groups (92)romantic (82)neighborhood gem (76)notable wine list (52)late-night find (48)great for brunch (46)great for lunch (28)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014The food was terrific and the ambiance was very fun and upscale. Was the place to be on a Wed night with my mentor group and other professionals in the area. In addition the drinks were good and so was dessert. I completely recommend the smores trifle!!!!! Was amazing!!! The is also some street parking but also valet so easier to get to than you might think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch / Too Loud for BizOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Great Lunch but the ambiance was too loud for an effective biz meeting
- Attentative or Annoying?AFamilyofFoodiesVIPDined on 9/16/2014I enjoy learning about a restaurant's story from servers. Great waiters has a sixth sense when it comes to reading customers. They know when to stop by the table and how to do it without becoming a distraction. My dinner at 5Church on 9/16 was disrupted far too many times by a server who excessively wanted to communicate and check in on us. I specifically wrote in my Open Table reservation that this was a business meal. I lost count how many times our server came to our table, but he wasn't respectful to our serious conversation. Hope this is a learning experience for the server and manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014The food was fantastic but the service was VERY slow. My coctail took about 10 minutes while the others had their drinks. Entrees and deserts also took a long time to come out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014This was our first time dining at 5Church. Great food and service! The ambience was wonderful as well!Special Features:
- PeteDined on 9/13/2014Two older couples went on Sat. night. Noise level high and got higher as the 30-somethings poured in. Lots of fun for the young set, but we couldn't hear at our table. Noise level high. Food good, but service needs a bit of freshening. All sides served "family style", but no serving spoons provided. Mussels served, but no shell fish forks in house. Food quality was excellent. Staff tries to please. Should have gone during a quieter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60 Second SteakScoutDined on 9/13/2014The 60 Second Steak is a must. Wonderful interior and a fun place for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local trendy retaurantPreibmeisterDined on 9/13/2014That is close to Center City and all the amenities.Special Features:
- Teri1Dined on 9/13/2014We were entertaining friends from Atlanta and wanted to find a cool place for brunch that was not a chain. We were disappointed in the quality of the food. The location and the décor are great! It has a cool style with a contemporary upscale feel. The menu selection looks great, but unfortunately the food itself was "just okay" The waffle was dry and it didn't have much flavor at all. I've had better waffles at many other restaurants. The 4 other people in our party ordered a variety of dishes and said their food was just ok, not worth the money. No one at our table ever said. "Wow, this is really good!" Most everyone left food on their plate. We were disappointed after looking forward to this brunch for a week.Special Features:
- first time, good experienceJ4444VIPDined on 9/11/2014This was my first time at the restaurant. The food was very good, and the service was outstanding. I had the turkey club and it was indeed a very big sandwich. It was just a tad bit pricey, however the food was still very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and noisydoeeyesVIPDined on 9/6/2014Went here on a Saturday night. It was extremely noisy not just because it was full of people and hard surfaces, but also because they blasted bass-heavy music over all of it. I couldn't carry on or hear conversation with my friends. My cocktails were terrible, my food was too salty, and the service was extremely slow and not quite competent. I was charged the table app without any question (it too was awful. Fries - we hardly ate them. Who doesn't finish FRIES?) and for a cocktail I barely drank and told the server I did not like. I don't expect free drinks, but on top of everything else, it would have been the tasteful thing to take it off the bill. Good looking staff. Trendiness seems to overshadow substance here.Special Features:
- 5Church FanLuv2EatDined on 9/6/2014We found our very first visit to 5Church very rewarding. Great food and service but noise level made it difficult to talk and hear other people at our table. But it is a buzzing place and well worth the trip for anyone considering a downtown Charlotte eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, very loud. Felt rushed.Moo98Dined on 9/6/20145Church needs to decide whether they want to be a high-end restaurant, or a popular night-spot. It was an expensive evening, but the food was phenominal. Unfortunately, if was difficult to enjoy because of the noise coming form the bar scene made conversation difficult, and because our servers wore us out trying to clear the table. The 4 of us had thd small filet, the scallops, the Monk Fish and the Salmon. All spoke very highly of the dishes.Special Features:
- Undercooked and overpriceddonnarDined on 9/6/2014We have had much better food at several other places in Charlotte. My husband's steak was raw in the middle (it was explained it would come rare) but this was actually raw. He asked for it to be cooked a little longer, still came back raw and also a lot of inedible fat. My (4) scallops were undercooked as well. I make scallops for us frequently, I know how to make scallops. The manager apologized and graciously offered free dessert for us. Great! However, it took about 15 minutes for said dessert to make it's way to our table. It seems after our server realized the food was not to our liking, he pretty much forgot about his job as our server for the rest of our time there. Very disappointed after reading such good reviews.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Ryan was a great server. Drinks were always - usually when at a bottomless bruch you have to beg for a refill. Will be my main brunch spot in Charlotte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedKatiek56Dined on 9/5/2014We ordered four small plates and every single one was worse than the previous. Very disappointed overall.
- Top 10 in CharlotteEarlVIPDined on 9/1/2014This restaurant is in my top 10 list for Charlotte. I have been here several times and never disappointed. Listen to your waiter and follow their suggestions. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed with the serviceSherrieDined on 8/31/2014Our waitress was extremely unattentive and we had to keep flagging down the busboy and other waitresses.Special Features:
- nice dinner spotnania38VIPDined on 8/31/2014nice dinner spot to go with friends before a night out on the town. Wine was great, food was delicious and good portion for price. Original menu options, good ambiance and great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great crispy tofuomnivoreDined on 8/31/2014The menu seems most notable for steaks, chops and the lamb burger, but my date (not a big meat eater) was very happy with the crispy tofu. Something for everyone.Special Features:
- Recommend for sureDJONESVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food was outstanding! Love the ambience, the only reason I would not give it a 5 was due to the server, she was going so fast all the time that she was unattentive to the needs of the table literally flying by dropping off a drink and not checking on any others needs. Several draft beers were served warm then finally had to go to bottled beer. The food Was just amazing! Servers need to slow down and pay attention then 5 stars for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique gem in uptownBethDined on 8/31/2014Interior of restaurant is creative and unique, creates cool vibe/ambiance. If you like mid-rare or rare steaks, you must try your steak "60 second style" - pan charred and never flipped, the steak is crunchy and bacony on one side and cool/rare on the other. Amazing! Calamari was tasty with a ghost chili aoli, only a faint after-heat but flavorful. Try one of the delicious and unique specialty cocktails that you won't find on every menu in Charlotte. The ABSOLUTE best menu item was the gingerbread creme brulee with cranberry compote... great for fall coming up. My filet was cooked wrong at first but was quickly corrected and we were given free desserts and a glass of champagne as we were on a date night. Manager and staff were great.Special Features:
- Great UPTOWN placeBfloLIANEDined on 8/30/2014We recently moved into Uptown Charlotte..had been to 5 Church for drinks before but never ate there. Our daughters were in town for the Labor Day Weekend and we went for Dinner. We sat upstairs and it was very nice. The food was good and the ambience was great - a little noisy but it's likely because we were sitting over the bar area. We will definitely return (doesn't hurt that we live a few blocks away!)Special Features:
- Anniversary CelebrationluvNEWplacesDined on 8/30/2014I booked this restaurant based off of previous reviews from OpenTable and it was AMAZING!! Everything from when you enter the door. The hostess staff was very welcoming and inviting, they also knew we were celebrating our anniversary by the note I put on our reservation. They even made us a few,very sweet. The waitress was great and very attentive and the food...it was FANTASTIC!! We had calamari for an appetizer and I had the short rib, which was like cutting through butter, so tender. My husband had the hanger steak and fries. The steak was very flavorful and he said the fries were the best he ever had. The decor was beautiful and the bar as well. The pace was packed and we went for dinner at seven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couples night out on the town!DinnerdatesDined on 8/30/2014We brought some out of town guests to dinner at 5church. We had been before but They were really tickled with the setting. Everyone commented on how much they enjoyed their meal. I had the scallops that were delicious! A couple of the quests in our party had special dietary needs that they easily made accommodations for. Service was great. A little drafty in the restaurant for some of the women. I had heard there had been some concerns with the noise level at 5church but we didn't really notice that. Maybe because we were one of the loud tables. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and Lousy Servicefit4foodiesDined on 8/30/2014We were at 5Church for restaurant week and were very impressed with food and service. When we were there last Saturday night, celebrating a birthday with family which we noted on the reservation, we thought we took a wrong turn and landed in a nightclub for twenty somethings. Our service was terrible - missing silverwear, drinks that didn't show up, no knowledge of wine list, mispronouncing key terms that any server should be familiar with and blaring soundtrack that didn't permit conversation unless it was at shouting level. The food was outstanding and the chef(s) were shortchanged by the terrible service that distracted from the food preparation and presentation which were fantastic. I would not go back to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/20145Church was everything I was looking for in a great dining experience. The service and food were both wonderful, and the ambiance was very modern and trendy. The server was very knowlegable in the food and especially the wine. I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, OK foodGorkaDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I read an article in a magazine and decided to try. Really nice decoration and good ambiance. Food and service were good enough for what we were hoping but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall highly recommendedjjm4u2Dined on 8/26/2014Waitress was awesome, food was very good...I would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic and Upscale VibeCLTBelleDined on 8/23/2014Great for starting the night out right! very good cocktails and great music! Chill environment where you can socialize. This is not a club/dancing atmosphere but that is what is great about it. Sometimes you just want to be fancy and social :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing steak!BushLeagueDined on 8/23/201460 second strip was one of the best steaks I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!defoDined on 8/23/2014The atmosphere and the food were exceptional. Service was also very good.Special Features:
- YummyJillDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed the tasting menu plus matching wines. Generous pours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chatty waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Too much noise and activity for my taste. Waiter needs retraining not to be so intrusive and talkative.
- Good Pre Show MealMickeyBDined on 8/23/2014We were impressed by the food. The Catfish was on par according to our friends with what they get in Louisiana. It had a nice balance of spices and the breading was great. Once we told our server we were on a deadline, he was on top of everything checking that we were "good on time"Special Features:
- Not your everyday PB&JEatOutMoreOftenDined on 8/21/2014I have always regarded the PB&J as the quintessential lunch sandwich - one that shouldn't be messed with. We ordered the sandwich special...a PB&J with bacon and jalapeno peppers, as a lark. I ate the whole thing and now I have to eat my words. It was fantastic. The heat from the peppers was the perfect kick with the PB&J. And bacon is good with anything right?! 5Church was a visual treat too - from a dazzling array of unigue lighting to the multi-level chalkboard ceiling tiles covered in discourse. Seemed empty during the weekday lunch hour...what a shame!Special Features:
- Good for pleasure not for buisinessloudDined on 8/20/2014The cocktails were great- this place is not stingy with their alcohol. This dinner was for a business casual dinner but the music was so loud that we couldnt hear eachother or even our server very well. The appetizers and entrees were good excet 3 of our guests ordered the fish and all said it was a bit dry. The aps, chicken and filet tasted amazing though. I would absolutly come back here and recommend to friends and family but I do not recommend if you are looking to have a serious or professional converstation. The restaurant is very clean, the service was good, and the food was great with a really hip and fun atmosphere. It was just wrong for what we needed it for.Special Features:
- Good food but...CGTracyDined on 8/19/2014I had high expectations based on a Charlotte Magazine review. Let me say from the outset, the food was very good. Two of the three of us had their signature strip and it was flavored will and great size. Pizza with shrimp was very tasty although I would have like a shrimp on even distribution (i.e. needed a couple more); the calamari was cooked perfectly. One of the party got the catfish. He enjoyed it but not the sides that came with it (black eyed pea concoction); they deserts were reportedly of high repute and made in house but we were too full. For me, the deserts offered looked all to be too heavy. My biggest complaint had to due with the noise level and poor physical finish of the place..more of a pub/after work place.Special Features:
- Sucks with a Capital SBillCruseDined on 8/19/2014The food was okay. Nothing wrong but absolutely nothing special. But you've got to understand, this is perhaps the most special restaurant in the history of all creation. You are badgered to death with that branding message the minute you walk through the door. The waiter reminds you that this is a chef's restaurant, whatever that means. Then you have to listen to sermon about the decor. Do I really, really care? Then, he, the waiter was a guy with his shirt tail hanging out, stops by every two minutes to make sure you're having a wonderful dining experience, while he pointedly upsells you on a serving of asparagus. No kidding, he came to the table at least twenty times. Running out of characters. Can I get my money back?
- Brilliant BrunchCourtDined on 8/17/2014Some good friends and I had brunch at 5Church this past Sunday and it was fantastic! The food delicious, wait staff friendly and attentive. And when they say "bottomless" mimosas, they aren't kidding! Our glasses were never not full! Was such a fun brunch date with friends and we look forward to coming back!Special Features: