5A5 Steak Lounge
244 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
5A5 Steak Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.5a5stk.com/
- Phone: 4159892539x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Mon-Thu: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Fri-Sat: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sun: 5:30pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allen Chen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 5A5 Steak Lounge offers full catering services and event coordination. Our event team hosts can provide off-site catering and event production at your home, office or other venues of your choice.
From cocktail parties, corporate luncheons to sit down dinners and weddings, we can take care of all your food and beverage event details.
- Entertainment: Tuesday to Saturday: Live Pianist
- Special Events: James Healey
A word from 5A5 Steak Lounge
5A5 Steak Lounge is San Francisco's first 'Steak Lounge' - a stylish and contemporary take on the traditional steakhouse with the upbeat ambiance of a cocktail lounge. Executive Chef Allen Chen (Alexander's Steakhouse) has developed an outstanding menu which both complements and explores the boundaries of the traditional 'steak & potatoes' fare. Steaks: we serve 100% Japanese Wagyu, US Certified Angus Beef, American and Australian 'Kobe'. A5 is the highest grade of beef in the world. 5A5- 5 senses/the A5 experience. 5A5 Steak Lounge is conveniently located in the northern FiDi, perfect for happy hour, dining, and late night cocktails. Please view our website for happy hour specials and other events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
5A5 Steak Lounge - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
5A5 Steak Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (139)fit for foodies (99)romantic (84)good for groups (61)notable wine list (59)hot spot (51)vibrant bar scene (42)neighborhood gem (31)late-night find (18)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Not Your Typical SteakhousejonapVIPDined on 10/19/2014We were recommended 5A5 by our hotel concierge. Mind you, it has a very clubby feel. The menu is a mixture of American/Japanese meat options, especially with Wagyu beef. Our salads, Wagyu sliders, and Lamb Duo were delicious! It is kind of expensive but it is worth it if you want something other than your typical steakhouse chain offerings.Special Features:
- Great steakBrianDotNetDined on 10/17/2014We were there for the steak and it was not disappointing at all. Both service and food were awesome. Will be back.Special Features:
- Rush, rush, rushOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014This was second time eating here... never again. Their dry-aged meat is pretty good, but too sinewy for the price. What kills this place for me, though, is the service. When I'm clearly enjoying a $130 half-bottle of wine, I don't appreciate people coming up to my table four times asking me if I'm ready to pay. Rushing customers is all-too-common in the US (and I've been a waiter, so, yes, I understand the logic of turning tables). However, at $225/person before tip, such behavior is simply unacceptable.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014I would certainly pick this restaurant for special occasions. Items a little pricey, but overall my husband and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the great food, the extras, and we must applaud our waiter, Ryan W.Special Features:
- 5A5--a consistent favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/20145A5 is our go-to, particularly when attending performances across the street at the Eureka Theater. The menu is great--hors d'oeuvres can satisfy for a light repast or the main menu is full of wonderful offerings. Perfect cocktails and service!Special Features:
- Great placeGigibDined on 10/14/2014The meals are amazing. If you like beef, this is your place. The woman next to me got the ribeye and I think it was as big as her head. I had the small portion of the NY steak and it was cooked perfectly. I also had a lobster appetizer that was amazing. If you like high energy, ask to be seated in the middle of the main room. If you like it more quiet, you can be seated in the outer parts of the room. All in all, great food and a good atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- JakeWVIPDined on 10/10/2014Staff is phenomenal, food is good, and the pianist is amazing!Special Features:
- amazing servicepeoplezDined on 10/9/2014I was running late... no problem... I dont drink alcohol... no problem, I wanted immediate service, no problem. Quick appetizers.... no problem. Amuse Bouch in between servings... no problem. an actual rare steak that was hot on the outside, and warm on the inside.... no problem. juicy chicken that was tasty with crispy skin... no problem. Loved the service. parking was a bear, but when is it not in the city. I will be going back with friends in the future. Fun environment that is made for groups. i would have liked a bit more privacy, but hey its a public restaurant.Special Features:
- Steak & Wine!adamsa25Dined on 10/7/2014Great service, great menu, great night. Will definitely be back for another hot date and more cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for a birthdayyourstartupgirlDined on 10/7/2014I called ahead to reserve a spot for my brother's birthday and they were more than accomodating. Not only did they give us an awesome table, they were incredibly attentive, and brought out a birthday cake without me even asking! Other notable things: a complimentary mini-appetizer and palate cleanser...along with a visit from the owner of the restaurant! Everything was perfect. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014The steaks and service was fabulous. I had the Waygu beef - it was rich as butter and fork tender. The bartender was great- you felt welcomed to the restaurant. A very hip vibrant feel- especially on a Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat.trcaptainDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I booked this place to celebrate our wedding anniversary, we were not disappointed. Food was great, the service was even better. Out total tab was over $200.00 but worth it. Through out the meal we were presented with different sample bites from the chef, each was very tasty. We plan to eat here on our next visit to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!RebbyDined on 10/3/2014This was a pleasant experience that I would not mind having at least once a month! Made reservations for a group of 6 to celebrate a birthday for a friend from out of town. In this instance, price was of no conern to us. We were celebrating and ready to enjoy every moment. Upon arrival, the hostess was welcoming and provided exceptional attention. She greated us enthusiastically, took our coats and seated us promptly. Once seated, our waiter was beyond expectations! He spent extra time explaining the menu, walking us through the Waguy beef raising process, provided us with options that were not only sharable, but patron favorites. He was constantly checking on us, refilling beverages often and made the entire experience worth every dime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good & excellent serviceHovahDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful experience and overall dining. The appetizers and the main course (New York Steak) was superb. I will definitely be back on my next bonus and/or other special occasions.Special Features:
- Great steak SF Financial districtShivanlordDined on 10/1/2014Highly recommend this fabulous steak house. The food and presentation were excellent and the owner is very passionate about visiting with their guests to ensure they are pleased with the food and experience. Great place to take your date, significant other or special guest(s). Wine list is superb as well.Special Features:
- had a good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014service was excellent, wait staff was very friendly. The 50% wagyu filet was very tender but not a tasty as the ribeye. Brussel sprouts were a little overcooked. Great place to go on a special ocasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner With FriendsJOHNVIPDined on 9/27/2014My friends and I had a great dinner here on a Saturday night. I loved the crowd, the service, the food and the wine. On top of that...our bill was surprisingly reasonable for what we ordered. I'll be back here next time I'm in San Fran.Special Features:
- Great food and service!GoodFood8VIPDined on 9/27/2014I've been here several times and the service has been excellent. It hasn't been perfect but they always apologize and take care of anything that isn't right. It's an expensive place so you'll have to spend some money to truly enjoy the variety and quality of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not great steakSorinaDined on 9/26/2014I picked this restaurant becuase I thought for sure the steak would be the star. Unfortunately, it was their weakest item. The atmosphere was nice, the service was good, but the filet was a bit tough. For the price, I expect it to be at least as good as what I cook at home, and it just wasn't. It wasn't a bad experience, but not a memorable one and I wouldn't likely return again in the future.
- mind-blowing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014We celebrated our engagement and a birthday on the same night. What can I say? it was really quite something. food was mind-blowing, service, like no other, amazing Vibe, and some great memories created. We wont forget it. EVER. thankyou!Special Features:
- know your steaksEatLikeYouMeanItDined on 9/23/2014Went for dinner and T-bone was highly recommended by a colleague. I usually have a filet mignon, but gave this a shot. If you like T-bone, then 5A5 does an excellent job. The meat was salted, nicely grilled to bring out a strong flavor of the steak, and the sauce over the steak was a nice complement and did not mask/overpower the steak. I requested medium rare and they brought it out a bit too raw, but better this way than overdone and just had them fire it up a bit more. As I said, I prefer a filet to avoid the chewy parts that other cuts of meat have. 5A5 did a good job, but did not convince me to convert to a T-bone nor porterhouse. Next time, I'll try the filet and hope that the grilling and dry aging process is the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midwest approved!!!ILLdinerDined on 9/23/2014Had a group of 6 of us from the midwest. Food was excellent! Everyone had something different and all were overwhelmed at how good it was! Waitress was a bit slow but it allowed us to take all of scenery in and enjoy the ambiance. Definitely need to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014A5 ribeye was the best steak I've ever tasted. Dry aged bone-in NY strip with bacon jam and sous-vide egg was also excellent. We enjoyed the half-price wine on Mondays special as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst steak everfoodie1Dined on 9/21/2014Tads steak in NYC is better than this place. i'm a foodie and I have had steak everywhere (peter lugers, Sparks, Prime, Jacobs and Co, Mortons to name but a few. To compare this place to tad's steak in NYC should tell you how bad this place is. The steak was boiled literally no texture no searing . I ordered a 26oz bone in ribeye and it was horrible I can make it better in my own frying pan (which says a lot) I would never recommend this place to anyone.,
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014It was my sister's 30 birthday, and 5A5 offered her a nice one with great food, best service and a little surprise cake. Thanks Laila to give us a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Perfect for a special occasion.SurlySamDined on 9/18/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday and had a wonderful evening. It's perfect for the special occasion that also calls for a hip scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceRichardDined on 9/15/2014My girlfriend and I came in for our anniversary dinner. The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. They were very considerate food allergies and preferences. I enjoyed the lighting and how it adds to the lounge atmosphere. The food was simply divine. We ordered the truffle fries with the sriracha aioli, the A5 experience for the entree with the potato au gratin for the side dish, and the sorbet tasting and opera cake per waitress' suggestion. The beef from the A5 experience was very tender and flavorful. The potato au gratin was a great compliment. The sorbet taster had a wide variety of flavors and the opera cake was delicious and had wonderful texture.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Everything was amazing. I celebrated my birthday here with my boyfriend and it was perfect. The food was amazing and the service was great! I would definitely come back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food; Better ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The food from appetizer to dessert and everything in between was fantastic. Our waitress made our experience extremely enjoyable. Service was very attentive, suggestions were spot on, and the food came out with perfect timing. Overall we were very satisfied and would not hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- King crab to die forVinalDined on 9/11/2014The king crab appetizer was wonderful. My girlfriends filet was very good. I had the steak for $14 an once, it was OK but not worth the price.Special Features:
- Superb Steaks in a special AtmoerniexsDined on 9/10/2014We've visited 5A5 last wednesday and had two steaks (NY T-Bone and Filet Mignon) which were outstanding. The sides were also perfect, so was the Dessert. The service was great - very friendly and mindful. Thanks for that great dinner!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysSFgirlVIPDined on 9/8/2014I truly love this place. The service is outstanding. My friends and I went for the $39 Prime Rib Dinner the meal was great but the prime rib was a little chewy.Special Features:
- Excellent diningRegularguyDined on 9/7/2014Chose this location for a final dinner with friends before departing San Francisco. It was chosen based on reviews here and other similiar sites. The food was excellent, I had lamb chops the others prime rib. The setting was great for conversation and an overall relaxing locale. I especially enjoyed the timing of the course service, they were not rushed nor did they drag. It was what fine dining should be, enjoyable conversation with the service just being part of the experience. While some may be concerned about the prices, we felt they were comparable with fine dining in San Francisco. Well worth the time and would recommend 5A5 for special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service excellent foodtommyhoneyDined on 9/5/2014We had a party of 6, two in the party wanted sparkling water. The wait staff was very efficient at filling the tap water glasses but left the sparkling water glasses ignored. The food was fantastic! Would highly recommend 5A5 for dinner. In the lounge the piano player's song selections (at the time we were there 6:30 PM) were really fast and loud, a little too much for dinner ambiance. His selections improved later. we joked that he must be paid by the number of songs he played. It actually had a few of us on edge!Special Features:
- Michellec35Dined on 9/5/2014ordered the fried peppers and lobster tempora for starters, both good but nothing to write home about. We ordered the 4oz Wagyu fillet and 4oz Wagyu rib cap, both were about $34 per oz, so be prepared to shell out some cash. We loved both of the cuts, they were amazingly tender, flavorful and melt in your mouth. We also had the truffle Mac and cheese, which was rich, creamy and delightful. The Brussels spouts were also one of out favorite items of the night. We finished the meal by sharing the peach tea dessert. We don't drink alcohol so we both ordered water. This place was great but for the almost $500 bill we expected the service to be a little more attentive and the experience to be a little more special.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and service...gunnDined on 9/4/2014I really enjoyed my dinner here with friends as the food and decor weren't your standard top tier SF steakhouse fare. While they do have options to spend serious money (100% wagyu cuts), I really appreciated the refreshing enhancements they've added to their typical steaks. I'm definitely planning to visit again. -gSpecial Features:
- Good Food and Great ServiceOnionheadDined on 9/4/2014This is the 2nd time I am back to this resturant in 1 month. The first time I was here, me and my husband celebrated our 1 year wedding ann. The resturant created a wonderful dessert for us. I had a very romantic dinner. The 2nd time is when I tell my friends/co-workers how great my first experience was, we decided to come back to celebrate a promotion here. The food we ordered for both time are all amazing yummy! I tried their F-5 fillet the firs time and really liked it. The 2nd time, I ordered Slow roasted prime rib, it was very juicy. The staffs all have beautiful smiles and the services they provided was five star. I highly recommended this place to anyone who has a special occasion and looking for some of the best food/steak in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014excellent and varied appetizers which are so large that they can serve as main course if you dont want one of their steaksSpecial Features:
- Mouthwatering perfection-at a priceAthensRocksDined on 9/2/2014We've never tasted steak like it - or paid so much for it. Still worth it for special that special occasion. Wine list is impeccable, as was the service. The Filet Mignon was like butter. We all ordered different steaks and they all had unique flavours. Quite an achievement. The side dishes are big enough for a family of four. Truffled mac & cheese is quite delicious. A nice twist to an old favourite. Leave room for desert. The wagyu sliders are great for two - and gives you a taste of the wagyu without having to pay a fortune (market rates).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanieDined on 9/1/2014Bacon jelly with egg on the NY or a Rib Eye is to die for! Don't forget the Truffle Mac and Cheese to go with it.Special Features: