5A5 Steak Lounge
244 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
5A5 Steak Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.5a5stk.com/
- Phone: (415) 989-2539
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Mon-Thu: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Fri-Sat: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sun: 5:30pm - 9pm
New Year's Eve: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allen Chen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 5A5 Steak Lounge offers full catering services and event coordination. Our event team hosts can provide off-site catering and event production at your home, office or other venues of your choice.
From cocktail parties, corporate luncheons to sit down dinners and weddings, we can take care of all your food and beverage event details.
- Entertainment: Tuesday to Saturday: Live Pianist
- Special Events: James Healey
A word from 5A5 Steak Lounge
5A5 Steak Lounge is San Francisco's first 'Steak Lounge' - a stylish and contemporary take on the traditional steakhouse with the upbeat ambiance of a cocktail lounge. Executive Chef Allen Chen (Alexander's Steakhouse) has developed an outstanding menu which both complements and explores the boundaries of the traditional 'steak & potatoes' fare. Steaks: we serve 100% Japanese Wagyu, US Certified Angus Beef, American and Australian 'Kobe'. A5 is the highest grade of beef in the world. 5A5- 5 senses/the A5 experience. 5A5 Steak Lounge is conveniently located in the northern FiDi, perfect for happy hour, dining, and late night cocktails. Please view our website for happy hour specials and other events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
5A5 Steak Lounge - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
5A5 Steak Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (125)fit for foodies (97)romantic (84)good for groups (61)notable wine list (55)hot spot (43)vibrant bar scene (43)neighborhood gem (34)late-night find (15)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- MancinipeppersDined on 11/23/2014My husband and I received a gift certificate to A5A for our anniversary and enjoyed it. The food and service were very good. We shared the chicken skewer appetizer and both ordered the NY strip for our main - both of which were very good. Dessert (the smore's) was the only slight disappointment, Although to be fair, we did finish it so it wasn't that much of a disappointment. Overall we'd definitely come back and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second and last time at this restaurantgiogio42VIPDined on 11/22/2014First time we had a pretty nice experience but this time....not at all. Service was very bad with one waiter pushing your plate already on the table to get more space ( like in a fast food chain). Food was pretty basic and for almost 300 $ I was expecting a much better meat . So, I will never go back
- Need to matchmusic and moodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Music was way too loud and did not fit the mood. Made it hard to talk and enjoy the meal. Food was great but I was shouting all eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food after allSandraSwedenDined on 11/20/2014Had a dinner at 5A5 Steak...a few days ago. Liked the lounge, perfect service. We had lamb and filet mignon. At first they did´t get the meat medium-well, so we sent it back. Afterwards they made it perfect and really apologized!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and great service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/15/2014Was pleasantly surprised with the food. Very tasteful without being too salty. Nice atmosphere and had valet. Excellent service and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary find!Savory1Dined on 11/9/2014Food and service was outstanding! Every dish was well executed and every bite was delicious. Do not miss the tempura lobster tails!! We have eaten at many of SF's fine dining locations and 5A5 is the best we have experienced in a very long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014Very nice & accommodating staff; very pretty inside. Moderately expensive, but quality wasn't really there in either steak we ordered (filet and ribeye). In the bar prior to being seated the bartender was friendly, quick with service and the drinks were good. It seemed like it took us forever to get another drink and have our order taken once we were seated and the restaurant was not very busy.Special Features:
- Slow start. Epic ending.brax10Dined on 11/8/2014Started out slow. Kind of hard to find our server and they messed up our first drink order. But i think we were just hungry, because as soon as the bread came, it was delicious and it only got better until the end of the meal. Prime rib, boneless ribeye, and the fish. "Delicious."Special Features:
- Best Steak Restaurant HANDS DOWN!GnJFonniDined on 11/7/2014Great atmosphere, Awesome service, Amazing food. We started with the hamachi & oyster appetizers which were bursting with flavor. We ordered the 4oz. A5 Ribeye Miyazaki Wagyu beef, the 10oz. Filet mignon, & an order of the macaroni & cheese topped with pieces of lobster tail. Both meats came out at the same time to differentiate the types of cut. Now I thought I had been eating the top choice whenever I would order the Filet mignon wherever I would go. This Filet mignon tasted like a regular Safeway steak compared to the A5 ribeye. So much flavor, super tender & juicy its a WOW type of flavor. The macaroni was exquisite & how could I forget about the amazing bacon bread! Super pricey but It's worth every bite! this place deserves 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Came recommended by a friend of a friend. Thought I was going to get a great steak. Steak was average. Prepared in Japanese style. Not bad, but not worth the price. Manhattan much better for a similar price. Waiter was great. Valet was asleep. Staff happy and personable. But a "tasting" plate of steak of four 4oz cuts for $525?? For $525 I want much more than a "taste". Rib Eye was just "okay". I don't usually go to a high end restaurant for mac and cheese, but it was a side recommended by the waiter. Had a great weekend in San Francisco. Would have been nice to say I had a great meal. A bit noisy. A 30th Birthday Party was next to us. Would have thought it was a 16th by the way they yelled and carried on.
- Everything but the steakJosephDined on 11/1/2014Wife and I had our date night here and we had a great time. 5A5 is a cool place with a great vibe. Great lighting, live piano player, and excellent service. We got the truffle fries and lobster tempura for an appetizer and both were amazing. In fact all the food we had was amazing except for the steak oddly enough. Sides and desserts were good, but the steak was nothing special especially for a place that calls itself a steak lounge. My steak was covered in a bacon jam that overpowered the taste of the steak and the steak itself was a little tough and chewy. Not bad, by any means, just not as good as I had hoped for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!BSteurnDined on 10/30/2014It was our first time dining at 5A5 Steak Lounge & it will not be our last. Layla* was our server & she was amazing! Informative & attentive! The food was tasty, but the exceptional customer service is what won me over. The whole staff overall was warm & friendly. I have nothing negative to say about my experience. 5 stars & two thumbs up in my book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word...amazing!mdufalaDined on 10/29/2014Best waygu beef I've had. Wait staff was attentive and was always spot on with suggestions. The hamachi appetizer was amazing, and the chef even send out a little sample for you to try. It was a true 5 course meal that did not leave you wanting to take a nap. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a true dining experience. (Note: the noise level isn't a fair rating because the Giants had just won the World Series and everyone was watching/listening to the game on their phones. I would sumise that it is a very quiet dining room on a regular night).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak In The City!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/29/2014WOW! We bought the Costco certificates and are still in shock over how amazing it was! The food was incredible, the service was outstanding! It was beyond a five star experience for a bargain price!Special Features:
- Best Steak House in SFgilmoreitDined on 10/26/2014we came special from SJ to dine at 5A5. highly recommended, for the food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:
- First TimeradmnikemanDined on 10/24/2014The food was superb. A perfect birthday celebration spot where the staff and the ambiance made for a memorable and lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Not Your Typical SteakhousejonapVIPDined on 10/19/2014We were recommended 5A5 by our hotel concierge. Mind you, it has a very clubby feel. The menu is a mixture of American/Japanese meat options, especially with Wagyu beef. Our salads, Wagyu sliders, and Lamb Duo were delicious! It is kind of expensive but it is worth it if you want something other than your typical steakhouse chain offerings.Special Features:
- Great steakBrianDotNetDined on 10/17/2014We were there for the steak and it was not disappointing at all. Both service and food were awesome. Will be back.Special Features:
- Rush, rush, rushOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014This was second time eating here... never again. Their dry-aged meat is pretty good, but too sinewy for the price. What kills this place for me, though, is the service. When I'm clearly enjoying a $130 half-bottle of wine, I don't appreciate people coming up to my table four times asking me if I'm ready to pay. Rushing customers is all-too-common in the US (and I've been a waiter, so, yes, I understand the logic of turning tables). However, at $225/person before tip, such behavior is simply unacceptable.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014I would certainly pick this restaurant for special occasions. Items a little pricey, but overall my husband and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the great food, the extras, and we must applaud our waiter, Ryan W.Special Features:
- 5A5--a consistent favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/20145A5 is our go-to, particularly when attending performances across the street at the Eureka Theater. The menu is great--hors d'oeuvres can satisfy for a light repast or the main menu is full of wonderful offerings. Perfect cocktails and service!Special Features:
- Great placeGigibDined on 10/14/2014The meals are amazing. If you like beef, this is your place. The woman next to me got the ribeye and I think it was as big as her head. I had the small portion of the NY steak and it was cooked perfectly. I also had a lobster appetizer that was amazing. If you like high energy, ask to be seated in the middle of the main room. If you like it more quiet, you can be seated in the outer parts of the room. All in all, great food and a good atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- JakeWVIPDined on 10/10/2014Staff is phenomenal, food is good, and the pianist is amazing!Special Features:
- amazing servicepeoplezDined on 10/9/2014I was running late... no problem... I dont drink alcohol... no problem, I wanted immediate service, no problem. Quick appetizers.... no problem. Amuse Bouch in between servings... no problem. an actual rare steak that was hot on the outside, and warm on the inside.... no problem. juicy chicken that was tasty with crispy skin... no problem. Loved the service. parking was a bear, but when is it not in the city. I will be going back with friends in the future. Fun environment that is made for groups. i would have liked a bit more privacy, but hey its a public restaurant.Special Features:
- Steak & Wine!adamsa25Dined on 10/7/2014Great service, great menu, great night. Will definitely be back for another hot date and more cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for a birthdayyourstartupgirlDined on 10/7/2014I called ahead to reserve a spot for my brother's birthday and they were more than accomodating. Not only did they give us an awesome table, they were incredibly attentive, and brought out a birthday cake without me even asking! Other notable things: a complimentary mini-appetizer and palate cleanser...along with a visit from the owner of the restaurant! Everything was perfect. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014The steaks and service was fabulous. I had the Waygu beef - it was rich as butter and fork tender. The bartender was great- you felt welcomed to the restaurant. A very hip vibrant feel- especially on a Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat.trcaptainDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I booked this place to celebrate our wedding anniversary, we were not disappointed. Food was great, the service was even better. Out total tab was over $200.00 but worth it. Through out the meal we were presented with different sample bites from the chef, each was very tasty. We plan to eat here on our next visit to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!RebbyDined on 10/3/2014This was a pleasant experience that I would not mind having at least once a month! Made reservations for a group of 6 to celebrate a birthday for a friend from out of town. In this instance, price was of no conern to us. We were celebrating and ready to enjoy every moment. Upon arrival, the hostess was welcoming and provided exceptional attention. She greated us enthusiastically, took our coats and seated us promptly. Once seated, our waiter was beyond expectations! He spent extra time explaining the menu, walking us through the Waguy beef raising process, provided us with options that were not only sharable, but patron favorites. He was constantly checking on us, refilling beverages often and made the entire experience worth every dime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good & excellent serviceHovahDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful experience and overall dining. The appetizers and the main course (New York Steak) was superb. I will definitely be back on my next bonus and/or other special occasions.Special Features:
- Great steak SF Financial districtShivanlordDined on 10/1/2014Highly recommend this fabulous steak house. The food and presentation were excellent and the owner is very passionate about visiting with their guests to ensure they are pleased with the food and experience. Great place to take your date, significant other or special guest(s). Wine list is superb as well.Special Features:
- had a good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014service was excellent, wait staff was very friendly. The 50% wagyu filet was very tender but not a tasty as the ribeye. Brussel sprouts were a little overcooked. Great place to go on a special ocasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner With FriendsJOHNVIPDined on 9/27/2014My friends and I had a great dinner here on a Saturday night. I loved the crowd, the service, the food and the wine. On top of that...our bill was surprisingly reasonable for what we ordered. I'll be back here next time I'm in San Fran.Special Features:
- Great food and service!GoodFood8VIPDined on 9/27/2014I've been here several times and the service has been excellent. It hasn't been perfect but they always apologize and take care of anything that isn't right. It's an expensive place so you'll have to spend some money to truly enjoy the variety and quality of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not great steakSorinaDined on 9/26/2014I picked this restaurant becuase I thought for sure the steak would be the star. Unfortunately, it was their weakest item. The atmosphere was nice, the service was good, but the filet was a bit tough. For the price, I expect it to be at least as good as what I cook at home, and it just wasn't. It wasn't a bad experience, but not a memorable one and I wouldn't likely return again in the future.
- mind-blowing!AnnalouDined on 9/24/2014We celebrated our engagement and a birthday on the same night. What can I say? it was really quite something. food was mind-blowing, service, like no other, amazing Vibe, and some great memories created. We wont forget it. EVER. thankyou!Special Features:
- know your steaksEatLikeYouMeanItDined on 9/23/2014Went for dinner and T-bone was highly recommended by a colleague. I usually have a filet mignon, but gave this a shot. If you like T-bone, then 5A5 does an excellent job. The meat was salted, nicely grilled to bring out a strong flavor of the steak, and the sauce over the steak was a nice complement and did not mask/overpower the steak. I requested medium rare and they brought it out a bit too raw, but better this way than overdone and just had them fire it up a bit more. As I said, I prefer a filet to avoid the chewy parts that other cuts of meat have. 5A5 did a good job, but did not convince me to convert to a T-bone nor porterhouse. Next time, I'll try the filet and hope that the grilling and dry aging process is the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midwest approved!!!ILLdinerDined on 9/23/2014Had a group of 6 of us from the midwest. Food was excellent! Everyone had something different and all were overwhelmed at how good it was! Waitress was a bit slow but it allowed us to take all of scenery in and enjoy the ambiance. Definitely need to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014A5 ribeye was the best steak I've ever tasted. Dry aged bone-in NY strip with bacon jam and sous-vide egg was also excellent. We enjoyed the half-price wine on Mondays special as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst steak everfoodie1Dined on 9/21/2014Tads steak in NYC is better than this place. i'm a foodie and I have had steak everywhere (peter lugers, Sparks, Prime, Jacobs and Co, Mortons to name but a few. To compare this place to tad's steak in NYC should tell you how bad this place is. The steak was boiled literally no texture no searing . I ordered a 26oz bone in ribeye and it was horrible I can make it better in my own frying pan (which says a lot) I would never recommend this place to anyone.,