5A5 Steak Lounge
244 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
5A5 Steak Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.5a5stk.com/
- Phone: 4159892539x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Mon-Thu: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Fri-Sat: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sun: 5:30pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allen Chen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 5A5 Steak Lounge offers full catering services and event coordination. Our event team hosts can provide off-site catering and event production at your home, office or other venues of your choice.
From cocktail parties, corporate luncheons to sit down dinners and weddings, we can take care of all your food and beverage event details.
- Entertainment: Tuesday to Saturday: Live Pianist
- Special Events: James Healey
A word from 5A5 Steak Lounge
5A5 Steak Lounge is San Francisco's first 'Steak Lounge' - a stylish and contemporary take on the traditional steakhouse with the upbeat ambiance of a cocktail lounge. Executive Chef Allen Chen (Alexander's Steakhouse) has developed an outstanding menu which both complements and explores the boundaries of the traditional 'steak & potatoes' fare. Steaks: we serve 100% Japanese Wagyu, US Certified Angus Beef, American and Australian 'Kobe'. A5 is the highest grade of beef in the world. 5A5- 5 senses/the A5 experience. 5A5 Steak Lounge is conveniently located in the northern FiDi, perfect for happy hour, dining, and late night cocktails. Please view our website for happy hour specials and other events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
5A5 Steak Lounge - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
5A5 Steak Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (135)fit for foodies (93)romantic (85)notable wine list (61)good for groups (54)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (38)neighborhood gem (24)late-night find (22)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Dinner With FriendsJOHNVIPDined on 9/27/2014My friends and I had a great dinner here on a Saturday night. I loved the crowd, the service, the food and the wine. On top of that...our bill was surprisingly reasonable for what we ordered. I'll be back here next time I'm in San Fran.Special Features:
- Great food and service!GoodFood8VIPDined on 9/27/2014I've been here several times and the service has been excellent. It hasn't been perfect but they always apologize and take care of anything that isn't right. It's an expensive place so you'll have to spend some money to truly enjoy the variety and quality of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not great steakSorinaDined on 9/26/2014I picked this restaurant becuase I thought for sure the steak would be the star. Unfortunately, it was their weakest item. The atmosphere was nice, the service was good, but the filet was a bit tough. For the price, I expect it to be at least as good as what I cook at home, and it just wasn't. It wasn't a bad experience, but not a memorable one and I wouldn't likely return again in the future.
- know your steaksEatLikeYouMeanItDined on 9/23/2014Went for dinner and T-bone was highly recommended by a colleague. I usually have a filet mignon, but gave this a shot. If you like T-bone, then 5A5 does an excellent job. The meat was salted, nicely grilled to bring out a strong flavor of the steak, and the sauce over the steak was a nice complement and did not mask/overpower the steak. I requested medium rare and they brought it out a bit too raw, but better this way than overdone and just had them fire it up a bit more. As I said, I prefer a filet to avoid the chewy parts that other cuts of meat have. 5A5 did a good job, but did not convince me to convert to a T-bone nor porterhouse. Next time, I'll try the filet and hope that the grilling and dry aging process is the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midwest approved!!!ILLdinerDined on 9/23/2014Had a group of 6 of us from the midwest. Food was excellent! Everyone had something different and all were overwhelmed at how good it was! Waitress was a bit slow but it allowed us to take all of scenery in and enjoy the ambiance. Definitely need to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014A5 ribeye was the best steak I've ever tasted. Dry aged bone-in NY strip with bacon jam and sous-vide egg was also excellent. We enjoyed the half-price wine on Mondays special as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst steak everfoodie1Dined on 9/21/2014Tads steak in NYC is better than this place. i'm a foodie and I have had steak everywhere (peter lugers, Sparks, Prime, Jacobs and Co, Mortons to name but a few. To compare this place to tad's steak in NYC should tell you how bad this place is. The steak was boiled literally no texture no searing . I ordered a 26oz bone in ribeye and it was horrible I can make it better in my own frying pan (which says a lot) I would never recommend this place to anyone.,
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014It was my sister's 30 birthday, and 5A5 offered her a nice one with great food, best service and a little surprise cake. Thanks Laila to give us a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Perfect for a special occasion.SurlySamDined on 9/18/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday and had a wonderful evening. It's perfect for the special occasion that also calls for a hip scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceRichardDined on 9/15/2014My girlfriend and I came in for our anniversary dinner. The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. They were very considerate food allergies and preferences. I enjoyed the lighting and how it adds to the lounge atmosphere. The food was simply divine. We ordered the truffle fries with the sriracha aioli, the A5 experience for the entree with the potato au gratin for the side dish, and the sorbet tasting and opera cake per waitress' suggestion. The beef from the A5 experience was very tender and flavorful. The potato au gratin was a great compliment. The sorbet taster had a wide variety of flavors and the opera cake was delicious and had wonderful texture.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Everything was amazing. I celebrated my birthday here with my boyfriend and it was perfect. The food was amazing and the service was great! I would definitely come back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food; Better ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The food from appetizer to dessert and everything in between was fantastic. Our waitress made our experience extremely enjoyable. Service was very attentive, suggestions were spot on, and the food came out with perfect timing. Overall we were very satisfied and would not hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- King crab to die forVinalDined on 9/11/2014The king crab appetizer was wonderful. My girlfriends filet was very good. I had the steak for $14 an once, it was OK but not worth the price.Special Features:
- Superb Steaks in a special AtmoerniexsDined on 9/10/2014We've visited 5A5 last wednesday and had two steaks (NY T-Bone and Filet Mignon) which were outstanding. The sides were also perfect, so was the Dessert. The service was great - very friendly and mindful. Thanks for that great dinner!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysSFgirlVIPDined on 9/8/2014I truly love this place. The service is outstanding. My friends and I went for the $39 Prime Rib Dinner the meal was great but the prime rib was a little chewy.Special Features:
- Excellent diningRegularguyDined on 9/7/2014Chose this location for a final dinner with friends before departing San Francisco. It was chosen based on reviews here and other similiar sites. The food was excellent, I had lamb chops the others prime rib. The setting was great for conversation and an overall relaxing locale. I especially enjoyed the timing of the course service, they were not rushed nor did they drag. It was what fine dining should be, enjoyable conversation with the service just being part of the experience. While some may be concerned about the prices, we felt they were comparable with fine dining in San Francisco. Well worth the time and would recommend 5A5 for special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service excellent foodtommyhoneyDined on 9/5/2014We had a party of 6, two in the party wanted sparkling water. The wait staff was very efficient at filling the tap water glasses but left the sparkling water glasses ignored. The food was fantastic! Would highly recommend 5A5 for dinner. In the lounge the piano player's song selections (at the time we were there 6:30 PM) were really fast and loud, a little too much for dinner ambiance. His selections improved later. we joked that he must be paid by the number of songs he played. It actually had a few of us on edge!Special Features:
- Michellec35Dined on 9/5/2014ordered the fried peppers and lobster tempora for starters, both good but nothing to write home about. We ordered the 4oz Wagyu fillet and 4oz Wagyu rib cap, both were about $34 per oz, so be prepared to shell out some cash. We loved both of the cuts, they were amazingly tender, flavorful and melt in your mouth. We also had the truffle Mac and cheese, which was rich, creamy and delightful. The Brussels spouts were also one of out favorite items of the night. We finished the meal by sharing the peach tea dessert. We don't drink alcohol so we both ordered water. This place was great but for the almost $500 bill we expected the service to be a little more attentive and the experience to be a little more special.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and service...gunnDined on 9/4/2014I really enjoyed my dinner here with friends as the food and decor weren't your standard top tier SF steakhouse fare. While they do have options to spend serious money (100% wagyu cuts), I really appreciated the refreshing enhancements they've added to their typical steaks. I'm definitely planning to visit again. -gSpecial Features:
- Good Food and Great ServiceOnionheadDined on 9/4/2014This is the 2nd time I am back to this resturant in 1 month. The first time I was here, me and my husband celebrated our 1 year wedding ann. The resturant created a wonderful dessert for us. I had a very romantic dinner. The 2nd time is when I tell my friends/co-workers how great my first experience was, we decided to come back to celebrate a promotion here. The food we ordered for both time are all amazing yummy! I tried their F-5 fillet the firs time and really liked it. The 2nd time, I ordered Slow roasted prime rib, it was very juicy. The staffs all have beautiful smiles and the services they provided was five star. I highly recommended this place to anyone who has a special occasion and looking for some of the best food/steak in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014excellent and varied appetizers which are so large that they can serve as main course if you dont want one of their steaksSpecial Features:
- Mouthwatering perfection-at a priceAthensRocksDined on 9/2/2014We've never tasted steak like it - or paid so much for it. Still worth it for special that special occasion. Wine list is impeccable, as was the service. The Filet Mignon was like butter. We all ordered different steaks and they all had unique flavours. Quite an achievement. The side dishes are big enough for a family of four. Truffled mac & cheese is quite delicious. A nice twist to an old favourite. Leave room for desert. The wagyu sliders are great for two - and gives you a taste of the wagyu without having to pay a fortune (market rates).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanieDined on 9/1/2014Bacon jelly with egg on the NY or a Rib Eye is to die for! Don't forget the Truffle Mac and Cheese to go with it.Special Features:
- Love2dineDined on 9/1/2014Excellent steak and sides. The food and service is quite consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not deliver...K20TDined on 8/31/2014I picked this place for romantic ambiance and special birthday dinner. We were surprised to have screaming babies at the table next to us at such a high priced, chic venue. Although i spoke to the hostess twice prior to arrival, she did not have us at a corner private table as requested, and attempted to place us in the middle of the restaurant surrounded by other groups, ignoring my special request. The food was good, the waiter was very good, however, for the prices, the restaurant has to step it up...Won't be going back :(
- A+LunchGuestJan222014Dined on 8/30/2014Two of us had dinner on 8/31/2014. Food, service, and atmosphere were all great. Would certainly recommend as well as return.
- fantasticchanh415Dined on 8/30/2014Prime rib is always spectacular! they have the most flavorful rub and their bone in ribeye is a winner everytime!
- Presentation is EverythingFancyDined on 8/28/2014This is a beautiful restaurant handled by professional staff. This was my husbands and I first time at 5A5. We flew in from LA and was looking for delicious food in a nice setting. We came across 5A5 online. We made 830 Reservations. We showed up at 815, hung out at the bar and was seated timely. Our table was small and away from the ambiance. I asked if we could move to a bigger table and be seated in the booth area, central to the ambiance. The staff made it happen and we were pleased. Our service was exceptional, very personal. The Wagyu was AMAZING. Every bite melted in my mouth. The dessert, almond cake was superb. The entire experience deserves a 10 star rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sislauraDined on 8/28/2014Wonderful food, very friendly and attentive waiter, and surprising "gifts" from the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strike 3!bigdennyDined on 8/27/2014I really wanted to like this place a lot but it's just not meant to be. I love the atmosphere! Loud energetic crowd! Mood lighting! It all works but the food is not for me unfortunately. I've had the bone-in ribeye and the bone-in NY... def have had better elsewhere. I also think I caught them on a bad night as it was almost impossible to flag someone down for water, hot water, the check... The 3 women ordered petit filets of varying degrees of doneness and all got the wrong ones.... doesn't sound like a horrible mistake but dim lighting meant no one noticed until after several bites in at which point they didn't feel like switching. Too bad.
- Great Ambiance!CaliVisitorDined on 8/23/20145A5 had a great ambiance, but I would not recommend it for the steak. My steak was very chewy, to the extent I spit parts out. It was more like a $16 steak than a $30 steak at a steak lounge. The chicken and other platters made up for the flavorless steak. Overall, not worth the money but worth the experience. Beautiful interior!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak placefoodielisaVIPDined on 8/23/2014My family had a great meal and a wonderful evening. Totally recommend
- Great food & ServiceamorcomerDined on 8/22/2014GREAT FOOD, BEST SERVICE and overall AMBIANCE. Just wish the overall scene and music at the bar would have been more energetic but still a great time and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014Highly recommended. The food was excellent and the service was top-notch.
- Delicious, but loudKCeezyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great atmosphere, food & service; but if you are with a group of people trying to talk to each other, forget it. We couldn't even hear the waitress unless you were sitting right next to where she was standing.Special Features:
- Watch your dollarsburgDined on 8/17/2014We have eaten here before and really enjoyed our food our waitress and the entire experienc BUT this time was different!! It was suggested that I try the "A5 rib 4oz. My husband had the prime rib for 28.00. We got the bill and my LITTLE 4 oz. cost us $132.00 WOW and it wasn't that good. Husband's prime rib was fantastic. Also we could not figure out the $81.88 added to the bill. Very expensive for two old foggies on retirement.??!!
- This restaurant offers quality foodMadeleinetpVIPDined on 8/17/20145A5 offers fine quality food. My favorite is the lobster tempera. I usually do not eat fried food but I do make an exception for this dish. Their Cesar Salad is delicious. Service can be a little slow.Special Features:
- Prime was goodECRichVIPDined on 8/16/2014Not sure what Opentable's VIP gets you, maybe a good seat next to the noisy kitchen or near the waiter station? Other than the seating the food was good but not a place I would put in the top of my list to go to in the future. Place was very loud. I had the prime rib and wife had steak. Both were very good.
- Simply incredible beef steakOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014Okay...it's not cheap. But, frankly, we didn't know beef could taste like this. And it was worth the price to experience it. As a matter of fact, we shared the "5A5 Experience". Everything was really outstanding. The service, the salad, the side dish, even our table neighbors who became our new best friends when our entree arrived! And Wagyu beef is the most amazing food on the planet. Our server was friendly and helpful with suggestions, and we enjoyed the ambiance too. Not super loud, but not what you would call a private romantic environment. Overall, we enjoyed it immensely and we look forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- @5A5ChowhoundVIPDined on 8/16/2014Service, food and overall experience was exceptional. Staff is very well versed in the art and science of hospitality and good food.Special Features: