16 Mint Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.54mint.com/
- Phone: 4155435100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10 pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Sunday: 5pm - 9:30pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mattia Marcelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Mission and Market streets
- Public Transit: Mint Plaza is located off of Fifth Street between Market and Mission Streets in San Francisco’s Central Market district. The Plaza is a short distance (approximately 1 block) from the BART/MUNI Powell and Montgomery Street stations. Convenient MUNI bus lines include the 14 Mission, 15 Third, 30 Stockton, 45 Union and all Market Street routes.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: a Public Parking Garage is also available, located on the corner of Mission and 5th streets.
A word from 54 Mint
54 Mint is a little gem in the heart of downtown San Francisco across from the old US Mint Building. We offer authentic Italian cuisine prepared only with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Our pastas and desserts are made fresh on a daily basis. 54 Mint is also a retail store where you can purchase, for a simple gift or for your own need, a variety of imported products such as extra virgin olive oil from Umbria, balsamic vinegars, cheese, spices, wines and much more...Our bar will remain open until midnight offering an extended variety of cocktails and high-end imported and local spirits as well as a late-night menu of small bites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
54 Mint reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (29)notable wine list (29)special occasion (26)romantic (21)great for outdoor dining (19)great for lunch (17)hot spot (13)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistently greatAJB435VIPDined on 9/14/2014I have been here three times on three separate trips to SF and I have enjoyed it each time. The service is always outstanding and the food is extremely well prepared. My only suggestion to the chef would be to focus a little less on pork and a little more on vegetables. Seemed like 70% of the menu had pork in it. Maybe it's just for the fall season. I would also like to see some traditional italian dishes prepared expertly rather than so many exotic options. Regardless, I will go back.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The service, food, and atmosphere is perfect for an intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMissKTVIPDined on 9/12/2014Get the pecorino pasta! It's delicious an not something you find anywhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute decisionlvladyDined on 8/30/2014We dined at 54 Mint on Saturday evening on a last minute decision, having just finished a wine tasting at another location. Our service was very good as was our pasta and wine. We were seated in the lower dining area. It was a quite warm there as it was very warm in SF that evening. I would recommend this restaurant for fun, casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousJKKKDined on 8/30/2014In my open table reservation I requested a quiet table and we were shown directly to the table in a quiet corner. The staff was attentive and helpful. A Italian only wine list matches well to the excellent food. The staff helped us choose and excellent bottle. Dinner was excellent- the gnocchi was fabulous!Special Features:
- Reminds me of ItalyJanButlerVIPDined on 8/30/2014I love the fresh pasta that is served here! We had the special truffle pasta - melt in your mouth goodness! Hubby had special ahi tuna served with white bean purée. Another excellent choice! Our waiter and wait staff was perfect. Waiter made some on target recommendations with both food and drinks! Make sure you have the tomato and fresh mozzarella salad! The mozzarella is creamy! Tomatoes could have been better! Love this place!Special Features:
- Pasta was lukewarmMskaiDined on 8/29/2014I ordered the truffle fettuccine. The food was not hot when it got to the table. The truffles were abundant which I liked but funny it didn't have any taste. I've had truffle pasta in Europe and this was nothing like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experiencecrzykiddDined on 8/27/2014We were looking for something affordable, but good. 54 Mint did not disappoint. Had a group of 8, and got out for about $600. The food was great, compliments to the Chef. Everyone in the party was a happy customer. Keep up the good job.Special Features:
- Would come again!eaterincDined on 8/26/2014The food is good, the service is fine... it's pretty basic as far as ambiance goes, but it'll do! I would come here again...Special Features:
- what a findrungirlsfDined on 8/22/2014our friends raved about 54 Mint, and we now know why. We were very skeptical, especially the area. But we are converts. The starters had too many choices, and we were only disappointed because we had 2. We both had pastas, and didn't try a secondi. Both pastas, the carbonara and the tonnarelli were amazing. My birthday tiramisu was scrumptious. Thank you 54 Mint for a memorable evening...filled with great wine and amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utterly fabulous. TheMegAlDined on 8/22/2014We are always warmly greeted and reminds me of an old country Italian meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOldButLivingItDined on 8/21/2014The food was excellent, fresh and cooked to order from scratch. The wines by the glass were wonderful (an a tad expensive) and we should have ordered a bottle. The staff are young but very focused on seeing that everything is done correctly. They seem to be paying attention to details and its paying off.Special Features:
- TravelerDined on 8/19/2014Food is wonderful; service gracious. Feels like you're at a friend's homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceLeo18Dined on 8/17/2014I met my nephew and his wife for dinner. It was everything I expected and more. The Food is fantastic, the service was great without being obtrusive and the waiter and Manager (Jason) were fantastic. Very well managed, everyone was taken care of. It was like eating in a families home in Italy. Great atmosphere, dim, but not so dark as you could not read the menu. Old world furnishings, but very comfortable. The Staff made the night. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentyumyumyumDined on 8/16/2014went for bday dinner.. excellent food and service , loved it !!Special Features:
- Historic gem, tucked out of sightdandougDined on 8/15/2014You have to be looking for it, but some things are worth looking for. 54 Mint, tucked behind the old mint on Mint Plaza, is one of them. My wife and I recently enjoyed a romantic dinner there. We loved the historic building with modern, contemporary touches inside. Surprisingly (so close to Calif wine country) the wine list as all Italian -- it helpd us pretend to be in Italy. With guidence, we picked a bottle of 2010 MONTEFALCO Rosso, Antonelli. It was excellent. We started with a sea cucumber bruschetta and some tomato risotto croquettes. They were ok. However, the the main courses: salmon filet and gnocchi with smoked pancetta in a tomato sauce were outstanding! We finished with a cheese plate, more wine and left very satisfied.Special Features:
- Aunt ValValerie080VIPDined on 8/13/2014Lovely little place tucked in an alley. Food was delicious, however if you want a romantic evening, this is not the place. A little loud, but again, the food was great!Special Features:
- Good food, but loudLindyDined on 8/12/2014food was good, servers were knowledgeable, but the restaurant was loud enough that we needed to shout to be heard across the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- had dinner, not as good as lunchchemistDined on 8/12/2014I have been to 54 mint twice before, I always had the same dish, Fetucinie and mushrooms. I aways loved it. l But I went for dinner last week, and had the same dish... Its been 6 months since I was there and the dish was nowhere near the same, The sauce was too watery. I was never offered any cheese for the topping, . I couldn't eat all of my dinner eventhough I was hungery. So I most likely will not return for a dinner here. Also, I ordered a Manhattan, the drink had some alcohol in it some where? well it sort had some. ,, the cherrie was great was the type of cherry it was suppose to be. But the drink... well,,, my dead grandmother could make a better Manhattan.Special Features:
- A current meal in an old buildingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed the up-to-date Italian food in an old area of San Francisco, next to the Old Mint. The noisy crowd was a problem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining experiencewinepleaseDined on 7/30/2014Food was delicious. Service was exceptional. Our server Salvador was passionate about the food and made several spot on recommendations to go along with the cab sauv we had brought. Overall a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally SolidAndrewVIPDined on 7/20/2014For an Italian restaurant 54 Mint holds its own. While a tad pricier than what you would expect it does deliver great food that makes you forget about that aspect. The wine list is exceptional and more expansive than what you will find in almost any equivalent restaurant. In short, the restaurant is consistent and always delivers. Service can be somewhat slow at busy times but somehow always manages to make it a non-issue. Overall that's incredibly good considering the options in the neighborhood. Be aware that there are two floors of dining. The upstairs is relatively noisy and the lower level is secluded and more sedate. On the other hand, it tends to be a bit remote. Choose the more esoteric dishes to get a truly satisfying experience.Special Features:
- Panna cotta!happyhrDined on 7/14/2014Didn't love the sea urchin bruschetta (tried it to be adventurous, and typically do like sea urchin, but found the mix to be weird.) The panna cotta on the other hand was TDF and the wine list was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DenVarDined on 7/10/2014Good food. Great olive oil and honey. Friendly, intimate.Special Features:
- Limitedaw510Dined on 7/9/2014Wine and food very limited selection. Waiter made up for it with excellent service and steak was pretty good. Would not go back with so many better places and selections in SF area.
- Excellent for FoodiesAvidDinerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Try pairing wines with your courses.....The food was excellent and tried some excellent wines. Desserts are to die for, especially the Panacotta with 20 yr balsamicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/201454 Mint is supposedly an italian restaurant, I am italian and this was the worst italian meal ever !
- Pasta starsmarsVIPDined on 6/25/2014Great prix fixe lunch for when you're in a hurry. The burrata appetizer or panini are also a great lunch. Service at lunch falters when large groups fill the restaurant. Haven't been there for dinner, but will try next time we're at the Yerba Buena Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ccmamaVIPDined on 6/21/2014Very loud once the restaurant is full. We had to raise our voice super loud so we could hear each other.Special Features:
- Terrific Father's Day!PatriciaVIPDined on 6/15/2014Everything was perfect - delicious meal and a good bottle of wine and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple Italian with hip vibeJoleneZ12VIPDined on 6/14/2014tried 54 Mint on our vacation to San Fran this past weekend. Loved the cute area the restaurant was located- We were seated downstairs and it was pretty dark but good for larger parties- Everything was very nice - my pasta was a bit salty but the waiter did mention that before I ordered so that was good- A good simple choice for a nice plate of italian food in san fran with out the north beach tourists!Special Features:
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014We found 54 Mint on the internet and what a find! Tucked away on a little plaza behind the old San Francisco Mint gives it a European ambience from the outside, and inside it has all the understated charm of a small restaurant on might find somewhere in Italy. Excellent authentically Italian cuisine with a menu of interesting dishes to suit almost any taste. Great wine list. Superb staff – helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient without being overly solicitous. This was our first dinner there, but certainly not our last. We'll try it for lunch sometime, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Move on ...FoodieLuver35Dined on 6/13/2014I have raved and recommended 54 Mint multiple times. It was once fabulous. Unfortunately, this once gem has lost its luster. Unwelcoming hostess, poor and rushed service, food not so great as it once was. Move on and spend your money elsewhere.
- Molto BeneLeoneDined on 6/10/2014Very authentic Roma cuisine. Good portions. Will not disappoint. Wide wine selection. Follows traditional course meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 54 mint for the winNikkiKDined on 6/9/2014Amazing "home cooked" style Italian food accompanied by a fantastic wine selection. Service is attentive and knowledgeable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 54 Mint is a Must!rbruck54Dined on 6/4/2014We were lucky to find this restaurant. The ambiance is cool, the people and service is excellent and the food is the bomb! The kitchen has really got it going on here. Definitely try the grilled octopus! Really good Italian inspired food. The chef will come out to meet you at your table..very old school and I like it. Don't miss it!Special Features:
- Molto buonoItsAboutFoodVIPDined on 6/4/2014A last minute decision to lunch at 54 Mint turned out to be a delightful and delicious side trip to Italy, on a warm, sunny afternoon downtown. We were welcomed and seated in the tiled upstairs, adjacent to the bar/counter and kitchen. There were also several desirable, but occupied umbrella-capped tables outdoors on the patio. Warm, attentive service from Eros, and an menu that covers a perfect representation of Italian dishes, done well and simply with the best, fresh ingredients. A perfect arugula salad, luscious spaghetti carbonara, and grilled swordfish with herbs & lemon. Paired with a glass of white wine from Piemonte, it really had us thinking we had stumbled into a small trattoria somewhere in bella Italia. Andiamo !Special Features:
- Great Lunch Spot for GroupsFoodieLover21Dined on 6/4/201454 Mint was very accommodating for our party of 8 for lunch. It was perfectly situated for several people from our party to drive in, park at 5th/Mission garage and walk to the restaurant. The outside seating area was very nice. The food was perfect - a little something for everyone - seafood lovers, pasta lovers, gluten free fare. Service was great as well. We will definitely be back for a lunch again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014My first time at this restaurant, but not the last. The food was amazing! My new favorite spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseOL2HVIPDined on 5/22/2014My first visit to 54 Mint was a great success. Everything was superb: The cocktails, salads, main course, and dessert. Even the wine by the glass was wonderful, and not overpriced. Service was excellent. We look forward to another visit.Special Features:
- The following 575 reviews are from the 54 Mint reviews archive.