16 Mint Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.54mint.com/
- Phone: 4155435100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10 pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Sunday: 5pm - 9:30pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mattia Marcelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Mission and Market streets
- Public Transit: Mint Plaza is located off of Fifth Street between Market and Mission Streets in San Francisco’s Central Market district. The Plaza is a short distance (approximately 1 block) from the BART/MUNI Powell and Montgomery Street stations. Convenient MUNI bus lines include the 14 Mission, 15 Third, 30 Stockton, 45 Union and all Market Street routes.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: a Public Parking Garage is also available, located on the corner of Mission and 5th streets.
A word from 54 Mint
54 Mint is a little gem in the heart of downtown San Francisco across from the old US Mint Building. We offer authentic Italian cuisine prepared only with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Our pastas and desserts are made fresh on a daily basis. 54 Mint is also a retail store where you can purchase, for a simple gift or for your own need, a variety of imported products such as extra virgin olive oil from Umbria, balsamic vinegars, cheese, spices, wines and much more...Our bar will remain open until midnight offering an extended variety of cocktails and high-end imported and local spirits as well as a late-night menu of small bites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
54 Mint reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (24)good for groups (21)notable wine list (20)romantic (18)great for outdoor dining (18)great for lunch (18)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- TravelerDined on 8/19/2014Food is wonderful; service gracious. Feels like you're at a friend's homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentyumyumyumDined on 8/16/2014went for bday dinner.. excellent food and service , loved it !!Special Features:
- Historic gem, tucked out of sightdandougDined on 8/15/2014You have to be looking for it, but some things are worth looking for. 54 Mint, tucked behind the old mint on Mint Plaza, is one of them. My wife and I recently enjoyed a romantic dinner there. We loved the historic building with modern, contemporary touches inside. Surprisingly (so close to Calif wine country) the wine list as all Italian -- it helpd us pretend to be in Italy. With guidence, we picked a bottle of 2010 MONTEFALCO Rosso, Antonelli. It was excellent. We started with a sea cucumber bruschetta and some tomato risotto croquettes. They were ok. However, the the main courses: salmon filet and gnocchi with smoked pancetta in a tomato sauce were outstanding! We finished with a cheese plate, more wine and left very satisfied.Special Features:
- had dinner, not as good as lunchchemistDined on 8/12/2014I have been to 54 mint twice before, I always had the same dish, Fetucinie and mushrooms. I aways loved it. l But I went for dinner last week, and had the same dish... Its been 6 months since I was there and the dish was nowhere near the same, The sauce was too watery. I was never offered any cheese for the topping, . I couldn't eat all of my dinner eventhough I was hungery. So I most likely will not return for a dinner here. Also, I ordered a Manhattan, the drink had some alcohol in it some where? well it sort had some. ,, the cherrie was great was the type of cherry it was suppose to be. But the drink... well,,, my dead grandmother could make a better Manhattan.Special Features:
- A current meal in an old buildingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed the up-to-date Italian food in an old area of San Francisco, next to the Old Mint. The noisy crowd was a problem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining experiencewinepleaseDined on 7/30/2014Food was delicious. Service was exceptional. Our server Salvador was passionate about the food and made several spot on recommendations to go along with the cab sauv we had brought. Overall a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Panna cotta!happyhrDined on 7/14/2014Didn't love the sea urchin bruschetta (tried it to be adventurous, and typically do like sea urchin, but found the mix to be weird.) The panna cotta on the other hand was TDF and the wine list was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DenVarDined on 7/10/2014Good food. Great olive oil and honey. Friendly, intimate.Special Features:
- Limitedaw510Dined on 7/9/2014Wine and food very limited selection. Waiter made up for it with excellent service and steak was pretty good. Would not go back with so many better places and selections in SF area.
- Excellent for FoodiesAvidDinerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Try pairing wines with your courses.....The food was excellent and tried some excellent wines. Desserts are to die for, especially the Panacotta with 20 yr balsamicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/201454 Mint is supposedly an italian restaurant, I am italian and this was the worst italian meal ever !
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014Very loud once the restaurant is full. We had to raise our voice super loud so we could hear each other.Special Features:
- Terrific Father's Day!PatriciaVIPDined on 6/15/2014Everything was perfect - delicious meal and a good bottle of wine and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple Italian with hip vibeJoleneZ12VIPDined on 6/14/2014tried 54 Mint on our vacation to San Fran this past weekend. Loved the cute area the restaurant was located- We were seated downstairs and it was pretty dark but good for larger parties- Everything was very nice - my pasta was a bit salty but the waiter did mention that before I ordered so that was good- A good simple choice for a nice plate of italian food in san fran with out the north beach tourists!Special Features:
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014We found 54 Mint on the internet and what a find! Tucked away on a little plaza behind the old San Francisco Mint gives it a European ambience from the outside, and inside it has all the understated charm of a small restaurant on might find somewhere in Italy. Excellent authentically Italian cuisine with a menu of interesting dishes to suit almost any taste. Great wine list. Superb staff – helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient without being overly solicitous. This was our first dinner there, but certainly not our last. We'll try it for lunch sometime, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Move on ...FoodieLuver35Dined on 6/13/2014I have raved and recommended 54 Mint multiple times. It was once fabulous. Unfortunately, this once gem has lost its luster. Unwelcoming hostess, poor and rushed service, food not so great as it once was. Move on and spend your money elsewhere.
- Molto BeneLeoneDined on 6/10/2014Very authentic Roma cuisine. Good portions. Will not disappoint. Wide wine selection. Follows traditional course meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 54 mint for the winNikkiKDined on 6/9/2014Amazing "home cooked" style Italian food accompanied by a fantastic wine selection. Service is attentive and knowledgeable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 54 Mint is a Must!rbruck54Dined on 6/4/2014We were lucky to find this restaurant. The ambiance is cool, the people and service is excellent and the food is the bomb! The kitchen has really got it going on here. Definitely try the grilled octopus! Really good Italian inspired food. The chef will come out to meet you at your table..very old school and I like it. Don't miss it!Special Features:
- Molto buonoItsAboutFoodVIPDined on 6/4/2014A last minute decision to lunch at 54 Mint turned out to be a delightful and delicious side trip to Italy, on a warm, sunny afternoon downtown. We were welcomed and seated in the tiled upstairs, adjacent to the bar/counter and kitchen. There were also several desirable, but occupied umbrella-capped tables outdoors on the patio. Warm, attentive service from Eros, and an menu that covers a perfect representation of Italian dishes, done well and simply with the best, fresh ingredients. A perfect arugula salad, luscious spaghetti carbonara, and grilled swordfish with herbs & lemon. Paired with a glass of white wine from Piemonte, it really had us thinking we had stumbled into a small trattoria somewhere in bella Italia. Andiamo !Special Features:
- Great Lunch Spot for GroupsFoodieLover21Dined on 6/4/201454 Mint was very accommodating for our party of 8 for lunch. It was perfectly situated for several people from our party to drive in, park at 5th/Mission garage and walk to the restaurant. The outside seating area was very nice. The food was perfect - a little something for everyone - seafood lovers, pasta lovers, gluten free fare. Service was great as well. We will definitely be back for a lunch again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014My first time at this restaurant, but not the last. The food was amazing! My new favorite spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseOL2HVIPDined on 5/22/2014My first visit to 54 Mint was a great success. Everything was superb: The cocktails, salads, main course, and dessert. Even the wine by the glass was wonderful, and not overpriced. Service was excellent. We look forward to another visit.Special Features:
- Constantly back for more.aprilerzDined on 5/22/2014This is an awesome work lunch spot. Many of my colleagues constantly rave about the place. Service and food is excellent!Special Features:
- always greatncfoodDined on 5/21/2014this place has great italian food, always incredibly tasty and the service is wonderful.Special Features:
- A Little DisappointedKreskaDined on 5/17/2014We had eaten here several times before and brought some out of town friends here telling them how good it is. Unfortunately, it was disappointing. We asked our waiter to decant the wine and he brought a chipped and cracked decanter. we asked him to replace it before decanting the wine and it took almost 10 mins to find one and bring it to us. The specials included what we thought was an asparagus dish but turned out to be a soup which was presented in a single bowl with 4 spoons. We had to request bread to sop up the gravy from the seafood/marinara dish. Getting our waiter's attention was like hailing a cab in NYC. All said however, the food was delicious. We will return again, but this visit was underwhelming.Special Features:
- Great Pasta and Service!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2014I am local to SF and love 54 Mint. What I especially love is the relaxed pace of dining where you do not feel like you are rushed. The food is very fresh and I will be back again and again. I had the truffle pasta
- SFEVDined on 5/16/2014fresh handmade pasta. everything tasted great and the waiter was great too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014The presentation was lovely, but i was not as impressed with the flavors as i wanted to be. great wine and terrific service.
- ronaldDined on 5/9/2014Price was reasonable if the food had been good. I had the wait staff's highly recommended lamb chops prepared by a chef from Rome. It was a "must order" recommendation by our waiter and subsequently by the waiter from another section of the restaurant, so I felt compelled to try it. Very disappointed and could only manage to eat a portion of one chop. It tasted gamey and was overpowering. In retrospect, I think it was the order the wait sttaff was pushing that evening. To his credit, the waiter comped a tiramisu and apologized that I didn't care for the entree (didn't offer to take it back however). My companion had the gnocchi which was average at best and ate less than a quarter of the meal. I don't recommend.
- First TimePaulDined on 5/7/2014Loved the swordfish while my daughters had the gnocchi. The service was great, non-obtrusive, will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little slice or ItalyfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 5/7/2014Worth the effort to find this place, the food is good and the service was attentive - our waiter described every pasta and entre on the menu.Special Features:
- GreatFoodieDined on 5/2/2014Been 3 or 4 times! Always awesome and fantastic service!Special Features:
- Excellent Italian experienceChendiDined on 4/27/2014Small rustic atmosphere, with excellent food and flavorSpecial Features:
- loud and not goodkennyvinoDined on 4/26/20144 if us dined and all disappointed with the food. Noise level was over the top
- The following 563 reviews are from the 54 Mint reviews archive.
- Doesn't live up to the hypeJorflyDined on 4/23/2014I was impressed by the food- all delicious and high quality. The service was downright awful, the place was super loud, even during lunch, the cluster of flies dancing around in the middle of the dining room were cringe-worthy, and the food came out at all different times. Not impressed!
- Really good every timeReedDined on 4/19/2014I've been to 54 Mint a handful of times and on each visit I find the same well-executed Italian fare, interesting wines, and warm hospitality. Case in point: On this last visit, my girlfriend and I had both guzzled down our glasses of wine while we paced ourselves with the rich pasta dishes on the table (that cacio e pepe with homemade tonarelli, man...). Our waiter noticed that we each had a few bites of pasta left but no wine to wash it down with. Rather than trying to sell us two more glasses, he gave us each an extra splash on the house. Love that Italian hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasesHorsPisteDined on 4/18/2014We have eaten at 54 Mint many times, and it always pleases. The service is friendly, enthusiastic professional and knowledgeable. The limited menu changes seasonally, but is always authentic, with fresh and housemade ingrediants. Pastas are terrific, as are all the starters, but don't miss the suppli. The small wine list is highly focused on Italian wines, many hard to find, and always complimentary to the food. The noise level in the spare industrial space is high when they are busy, but manageable. Go. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great "neighborhood" spotBeachcomberVIPDined on 4/14/2014Very energetic atmosphere but very good, authentic food and wine. Tucked away across from the Mint but worth looking for it.Special Features:
- Always Enjoy 54OaklandishDined on 4/8/2014I've come numerous times over the years for lunch most of the time. It is always good with a small menu of classic dishes done well. The ambiance is charming and on a warm day, the terrace is very pleasant.Special Features: