254 West 54th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://54below.com/
- Phone: 6464763551x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday
5:00pm - 6:30pm
Friday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: André J. Marrero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Wine
A word from 54 Below
54 Below, Broadway’s Supper Club, offers new takes on classic American cuisine that have set a new culinary standard for New York City entertainment venues. Chef André J. Marrero creates a world-class seasonal menu served in the breathtaking ambiance of a 1920s Manhattan supper club. Savor a classic cocktail or spirit as Broadway’s brightest talents perform nightly on the club’s cabaret stage. Just steps from the legendary Studio 54, 54 Below offers an only-in-New York dining experience that’s both contemporary and utterly timeless.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
54 Below reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (19)romantic (8)late-night find (8)fit for foodies (8)hot spot (7)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent SurpriseJuliaBVIPDined on 10/15/2014We happened upon 54 Below on Open Table and decided to try it as it was near the theater we were going to. The food and service were excellent. Next time we intend to see a show! Truly, an excellent surprise!Special Features:
- First TimeNYCguestDined on 9/27/2014Was very pleased with this restaurant. Went there prior to the showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the showDinnerdateDined on 9/23/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner here before seeing our show, however we were told that we would receive a 20% discount upon showing our tickets to the server prior to ordering. We informed him more than once that we were going to see the show and had tickets and were confident that he understood this meant we would receive the discount. However, it was getting close to showtime when he presented us with our bill. We really needed to get out of there and get to our seats, and we realized that he had not given us a discount. Instead of arguing this and being late to the show, we opted to just get over there. However, that cast a shadow on our otherwise very nice experience at the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Booked table 6 months prior, had confirmation re booking day prior, arrived to be told apologies but private function and no tables available. Very poor experience. Who knows what the food may have been like- did not get to experience.
- ExceptionalExceptionalDined on 9/10/2014I was concerned about eating in a nightclub but the food was exceptional and the service was excellent, a very memorable occasion.Special Features:
- Great pretheaterSsd3425Dined on 9/9/2014Pew theater or a supper club with live show of its own. Pricey! $150 for good dinner before theater for 2 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Evening....HallieDined on 8/23/2014My husband and dined at 54 Below prior to seeing Caberat. The food was delicious, the service was excellent and the ambience was great. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before the ShowRogerWVIPDined on 8/21/2014We only went for dinner before a show at the theater upstairs, so this review deals only with 54 Below as a restaurant. For that it's perfectly fine, just be aware that if you are a two, you may be seated with other strangers who are coming for the show. The menu is limited but the quality is actually quite good.
- Superb diningJasmineVIPDined on 8/19/2014Although we merely had dinner and went upstairs for the show (cabaret), this nightclub dining experience was first rate. The hanger steak was excellent, even when prepared medium well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HostMinnesotaNiceDined on 8/4/2014We arrived for our reserved table on time at 5:00pm. We had to wait in a HOT stairwell for 20 minutes before being let into the restaurant at 5:20. We let them know we had reservations and at the time the host told us that they would be needing our table at 6:30pm for the 7:00pm show - are you kidding me!? You let us in 20 minutes late then expect us to sit down to a nice dinner and make sure me are done and out in and hour and 10 minutes because you need our table - will not be recommending this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Pre Show DinnerBklyngalDined on 8/1/2014We had dinner here before heading upstairs to see Cabaret. Would definitely return for one of their supper shows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant with mediocre foodSandyDined on 8/1/2014A lot of money was put into turning this basement into a lovely restaurant and performance space. We had tickets for Cabaret that evening, so it was nice to be next to the theatre. My daughter had the rack of lamb, which was very good and I had the trout, which tasty but a little dry. My complaint is with the sides. I like al dente vegetables, but one shouldn't need a steak knife to cut asparagus and the garlic broccoli rabe was bitter and inedible. For $100, including our 20% theatre discount, it was a disappointing meal.
- AwesomeNYCDanDined on 7/25/2014I've been here several times for dinner and a show but this was the first time I'd been here for a pre-show dinner only. Even without a show, this place is awesome! Great food and great service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectlove54belowDined on 7/19/2014We went right before seeing Wicked on Broadway. Our reservation was for 6:15. We got there about 20 minutes early and they seated us immediately. It was a quiet and comfortable setting without being laid back. There was an older crowd there but this place was definitely for anyone 18 or up. They had a nice bar but it wasn't the main focus or in the way at all. The menu had a great selection. Both of us had the Espresso Marinated Steak. I gave it five stars. We had the bacon mac and cheese for an appetizer as well and that was also to die for. Our waiter was kind and very on top of things. Never kept you waiting. We were done in time to head to Central Park real quick before our show. Could not have been a better dinner or night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014Excellent place for pre-theater or just a meal. Recommended. It fulfills a need in that neighborhood. I had roast chicken and it was great. My friends had halibut, which they loved, and one had trout. The vegetable side dishes are terrific. And it's not overpriced! The stage shows are great, though you can have dinner there without staying fro the show; the atmosphere is very night-clubby and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoyceDined on 7/12/2014excellent food, very nice atmosphere, perfect location if you have tickets for studio 54Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok for dinner, missed the showNicoleEGVIPDined on 7/5/2014We went here before theatre. The service is very good and attentive. The food was fine. It's not the place I would go to again for just dinner. Next time we would like to see one of their shows. I think that is what their focus is probably on; not the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early show dinnermoggiesueVIPDined on 7/2/2014Good spot for going to MTC for a 7pm show. Very good food and service. Fairly reasonable price except for wines by the glass which are getting ridiculous everywhere.
- The following 94 reviews are from the 54 Below reviews archive.
- Something DifferentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014Has the appearence of a speakeasy. Although I had a table for two, I noticed that unrelated diners were seated together at small round tables in a well packed dining room. Dinner cost 140.00 for one starter, two entrees one glass of wine. I would have objected sitting with another couple and sharing a table should have been mentioned on the open table reservation. I am a native New Yorker and felt the place was better suited to tourists etc. However credit is due for the food which was well prepared and served by a friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for theater above or belowCoriDined on 6/20/2014This restaurant is a real surprise. I expected the food to be ok for a quick meal while waiting for the show upstairs or the entertainment below to start. But the food was actually quite interesting and delicious. The service was friendly and helpful. Perfect for seeing a show int the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014We came before seeing a show next door- very handy to the theatre. This was our first time here. Thought the food was good- but service was fair- had to request things a few times from several waitpersons. A bit expensive for what it was. Noisy and crowded- tables pretty close together, it's a cabaret after all. Might like it better if we were seeing the cabaret show immediately after dining.
- Don't waste your time eating here!Travels2eatDined on 6/14/2014While the room is beautiful the food is I of poor quality. The goat cheese salad started of fine but the medium rare hanger steak I ordered arrived well done, when the waiter asked how things were sand I shared this he actually said " oh too bad, had it been under cooked I could send it back but I can't do anything about over cooked" he then waked away not to be seen until he dropped off the check! My dining partner had the chicken that was dry and tasteless. The pre-dinner cocktail was the only good part of this meal.
- reviewerVIPDined on 6/14/2014food was good and ample portions. fairly priced. drinks were ok but wine price/glass was very high compared to food prices ($22/glass for only choice of chardonnay). Also pre-theatre service was way too quick. Could have been in and out of there in 1/2 hour but we were there at 6:00 for 8:00 show and felt rushedI would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzanneVIPDined on 6/13/2014Fantastic food & service and would highly recommend it to friends...we'll have to return to see a show here too sometime soon. Cpcktails were great as were the appetizers, dinner entrees, dessert and wine....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliablePhilVIPDined on 6/7/2014Good food, great cabaret shows and better food than one would expect at such a place.Special Features:
- 54 BelowlisJVIPDined on 5/31/2014Annoyed by the stairs only to find out later that there is an elevator. Very attentive wait staff and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-theater spotHootDined on 5/30/2014Excellent setting for before theater dinner. Very courteous staff and excellent value for NYC. Speedy service and very good food.Special Features:
- PhenomenalBroadwayBoyDined on 5/24/2014Went to 54 Below before seeing Cabaret. Made a reservation online and it was so easy! Food was GREAT, service Phenomenal, very gay friendly and there was lots of eye candy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre treatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014Discovered this restaurant while preparing to attend a show at the Roundabout Theatre in the old Studio 54 right next door. Arrived at 6:30 for a reservation and were promptly seated. Crowd was very thin since it was early. People appear to come later as they have their own dinner theatre and performances in the later evening. Came with my girlfriend and we found the environment romantic. Had the prix fixe selection with halibut and it was excellent. Wine-pairing for an extra $25 was a nice supplement. Highly recommend for pre-theatre dinner - located in the heart of the theatre district.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Great pre theater dining. Food is excellent as is the service. Perfect before seeing a show upstairs at studio 54.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show dinnerMacGDined on 5/10/2014The restaurant is good for a pre-show dinner. Food is of a very good quality, but nothing special. The restaurant is located in the basement. In the case of the NY, it is probably a plus.
- Resturants overviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014We arrived at restaurant, and they did not have out reservation. Required email. Which I duly gave. Sat us at ca table for 16!!! Not a table for 2, stating they were overbooked!!!! Felt intimidated, rushed through our meal, having just one course only. Overall not impressed by the whole process and marred our experience, of what should have been a nice meal. Prior to entering restaurant, they kept us and 8 other people waiting outside as they were not ready, ever heard of pre dinner drinks at the bar !!!Special Features:
- A Pleasant SurpriseLoveFoodVIPDined on 4/26/2014Went here before seeing a Broadway show elsewhere. Food was reasonably-priced, with a small but interesting menu and decent food. The lobster salad entree was particularly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice & UniqueYoconshyVIPDined on 4/26/2014Overall a very fun, creative experience. We'd go again. Love the ambience and the "speakeasy" feel. We were there for pre-theatre dining and the service was good. Food was very good. If all the tables around us were full, no one would be able to move. It's a catch 22, I know, but management has to recognize that overall quality and experience is compromised when you jam in so many tables. Remove four tables, spread the others out a little and see the difference. Give it a shot. What you may lose in a night you will gain in repeat customers and positive buzz about their experience.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014The food and service were very good. The ambiance detracted. Tables were so close and chairs abutted each other. We had to hand our waitress our water glass to be filled. The music during ourvpretheatre dinner was so loud we had to ask twice if they would lower the volume. They agreed but I did not hear any appreciable difference. I will not return despite the good food. Not worth it
- Elegant and Delicious!DonnaCVIPDined on 4/12/2014The downstairs venue is a perfect replica of a supper club from an earlier era ... Vibrant and warm, and must be a great place to see a show! We were there for a pre-theatre dinner, and look forward to another visit for music one evening. -- The menu is not vast but our party had a variety of items and there was lots of sharing, and ooo-ing and yumming! The risotta was very good, the chicken juicy and the lasagna tasty. Service was friendly and timely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 54 belowIgotideaDined on 4/11/2014Felt like we were going into a secret club that might need a secret password to enter...haha. We had show tix for a different show, so we went early and at first were the only customers. Food and service was great. Would live to go back for dinner and show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed itDrippsDined on 4/5/2014Overall a bit expensive but food was good and restaurant was nice. We had reservation for 5:00 and they weren't quite ready to seat us yet. A lot of performers were there, eating their meal before they perform their show. We left before any entertainment started because we had tickets for a broadway how. There was a big stage and I would have liked to see what they were going to do.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried it!GirlygirlVIPDined on 4/5/2014The food was amazing, but something was a little off with the atmosphere the night we were there. Toward the end of dinner, a theater group from out of town was performing. We were unaware this was going to happen and had to leave very quietly to get to a broadway show, so a little awkward. It's a great location in a great old building and we'll try it again perhaps but I'll ask about the performances.....Special Features:
- Pre-theatre gemBroadwayBoundDined on 3/29/2014The atmosphere is fantastic and our food was great. I had the trout and my friend had the hanger steak and yucca fries. Both wonderful. Had a signature cocktail called the Pencillan. Also good. We sat at a community table which, while fine, I was not prepared for. Would have appreciated that information beforehand. Loved our waiter. Would definitely come back for a show.I would recommend this to a friend.