53 by the Sea
53 Ahui Street
Honolulu, HI 96813Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
53 by the Sea
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.53bythesea.com/
- Phone: 8085365353x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-10:00pm
Bar: Sun-Th 4:00pm-12:00am
Bar: F-Sa 4:00pm-2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Ho
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: Nightly 6:30pm-8:30pm
Thursday, Friday, Saturday 9pm-11:30pm
A word from 53 by the Sea
Designed around its breathtaking view of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head, 53 By The Sea offers you the opportunity to experience Hawaii dining like never before. Delight at Chef Thomas Ho’s artistry as he combines fresh local ingredients with succulent seafoods and the finest hand-cut meats. Just as exquisite are the melodic sounds of local pianists playing on the Italian made Fazioli piano in the adjacent T’s at 53 lounge, featuring wines and spirits from around the globe. 53 By The Sea is truly a celebration for all the senses! Collared shirts are required please.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
53 by the Sea - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
53 by the Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (96)special occasion (91)romantic (77)great for lunch (47)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (32)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (16)great for brunch (14)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (8)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- romanceromanceDined on 10/16/2014Great service from the beginning to the end. Such a romantic spot with such great views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch venueHonuLuvrDined on 10/15/2014I had no idea they were open for lunch but was pleasantly surprised when I tried to make a lunch reservation for a business meeting. Great views and excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place♡mogumogusanDined on 10/13/2014We had a nice lunch for our 20 years anniversary! Beautiful place and beautiful ocean view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect guest services!lov53Dined on 10/11/2014I brought my friend couple who celebrate their 22nd anniversary. Asked chef to put some message on the desert plate, also make my plate for birthday version. The chef and server made all perfect performance for us and my friends were impressed so much. Thank you for your kindly hospitality and I'm sure we'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing views and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014The service and staff were out of this world! Not to mention the best sea bass I have ever had. I feel so lucky to have stumbled upon this gem. Definite must in anyone's trip to Waikiki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent across the boardFlyingRonDined on 10/4/2014Promptly seated with an excellent view up Waikiki beach. Service was excellent from the start, we had two waiters attending to us continuously. We did the Chef's menu and it was fabulous. Good wine list. Adjourned afterward to the bar after dinner for drinks and to listen more closely to the jazz piano/bass duo they had playing that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for a datestar8726Dined on 10/2/2014Great service. Good food. Nice view. Truly a perfect place for a date. You will appreciate the place as soon as you enter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Anniversary VenueLALouiseBDined on 9/29/2014This place was amazing; we found it online and decided to book because of its great reviews. It certainly didn't disappoint. They knew it was out anniversary and gave us a fantastic romantic table looking directly at the view of Waikiki across the bay. We chose the seafood plate to start, which came complete with liquid nitrogen for added drama. The fish was just incredible, so succulent and fresh. Our mains, the scallops and filet/crab legs were outstanding. The flavors were just to for for. Service was attentive but not overbearing and the staff in general were great; friendly and totally professional. This place is a gem in a quirky location (get a cab, don't walk) but it's totally worth it. A meal to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience.......CLowVIPDined on 9/29/2014Amazing architect, beautiful views, delicious specialty drinks, and of course the food and service was wonderful! This is a must for anyone wishing to have a first class experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 53 by the seadenkigishiDined on 9/23/2014Food was a little on the pricey side and one of the servers was a little bit belittling to me. I ordered a zinfandel which was the only one on the menu and the wine was $95.00 for the bottle but the wine was not good. So we chose not to accept the bottle but the server acted as if we still needed to buy the bottle even if we did not like the wine. We were pleasant and polite but she rolled her eyes as if we were beneath her. I was willing to purchase a different wine as I did a bottle of Moet and the manager did not charge us for the Zinfandel but just the behavior of the server was upsetting especially for a $650.00 dinner for four. The rest of the evening was wonderful and the manager apologized and we subsaquently had a great time.Special Features:
- Well worth it!Liv2eatoutDined on 9/19/2014It started with a complimentary valet service. We were seated with a diamond head/harbor view. The wait staff were like ninjas, water always full, dirty plates and silverware removed and replaced with clean before you even notice it's gone. The food was amazing, the prawn cocktail appetizer was hearty and spicy, the lobster bisque was out of this world. I had filet and lobster, upgrade from half to full lobster for $10, yes please!! Wifey had the filet and king crab legs...all seafood shelled for ease, added the sautéed mushrooms for the steaks, A-MAZ-ING!!! The mushrooms and most of the food is locally grown! It was not as spendy as I thought which was refreshing. If you enjoy enjoy romantic fine dining, this is the place to get it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding View!ailuckieDined on 9/19/2014The view is outstanding! We were there for lunch this time and had a Crab sandwich with french fries. All the lunch dishes come with five different bite sized appetizer, main, and dessert. It was good but didn't care for a 3 set lunch course. The dessert was too sweet. I would have preferred a lighter less sweet dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!JapaneseFoodLoverVIPDined on 9/8/2014This was my first time here since the old John Dominis days, and was so pleasantly surprised! What a beautiful atmosphere and decor. I took my husband here for his bday and it was absolutely perfect. Service is attentive but not over-bearing, views are post-card perfect and food is quite good. I also really liked the "love-seat" side-by-side seating. From watching the late afternoon surfers, to the Diamond Head views and Waikiki lights and, on this night, the super-moon, we were in awe. Perfect bday! I look forward to returning here again, maybe even just to unwind with a glass of wine at the bar or on the ocean-front terrace. (Please note that the noise level rating was due to a very loud group of gentlemen sitting next to us.)Special Features:
- OutstandingGrmtnboyDined on 9/7/2014As you drive up it looks like an old, opulent plantation house. The foyer has a most amazing staircase which is perfect for a photo op. The decor is very comfortable and done tastefully in current style and colors. The view from our table toward Waikiki was fabulous. The bar area is attractive. Excellent food, service, and ambiance. A great place for a romantic dinner. We highly recommend 53 by the Sea to anyone looking for a special evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant in HonoluluAmericanSteakLoverDined on 9/7/2014This retaurant locates just out side of down town Waikiki, and wonderful ocean view and Diamond Head in the afternoon, and beautiful night view in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic experienceMSaMAYzingDined on 9/1/2014Aloha, My guest and I really enjoyed our experience at 53 by the Sea with its great view of Diamond Head, Waikiki and the ocean waves. We had a great cozy booth seating which made for a romantic time. The drinks were wonderful, the food d-lish, dessert amayzing!! loved it when the lights were dimmed...creating a more romantic time. Will come back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful settingLuv2dineVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great dining experience from start to finish. Beautiful restaurant, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular sunset viewfindingparadiseDined on 8/29/2014On Fridays you will also get to see fireworks adding to your memory of this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Night OutExceptionalDiningDined on 8/28/2014This place is absolutely beautiful and very elegant. The views of Diamond Head and Waikiki Beach really add to the already eloquent ambience. Add a beautiful and talented pianist, Ms. Ginny Tiu, and you'll have a perfect evening with your significant other. The wine list is exceptional along with their tender, marbled ribeye steak which I dare say that it's better than Morton's. My wife also had their rack of lamb which was so tender and delicious too. But be prepared the cost is a bit high, but it was certainly worth every penny. They even provide free valet parking which, to me, is a huge bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View for LunchRichBDined on 8/28/2014This was my 3rd visit and was great. The view of the waves and surfers was awesome. The food as always very fresh and perfectly prepared. I had the pesto shrimp scampi and my lunch companion had the Filet cooked just the way they like it. We arrived 30 minutes early and they accommodated us with a wonderful table with a view.Special Features:
- Great ExpectationsPualaniDined on 8/26/2014Huge disappointment Garish building out of character for the area. Booked window table for lunch. We were shown to the narrow bar lounge "only table available " at the time. 2 Japanese couples took over the entry hall for photos. The noise level was ridiculous Our waiter was gracious to a fault. He kept coming to our table inquiring if we were enjoying our meal. The bread selection mediocre and my Horseradish encrusted Scottish salmon was over cooked and dry. I would have sent it back but that would have embarrassed my guest. The view from the bar lounge was not appealing as from the main dining room. Usually the bar menu is different from primary menu and less costly. Not on this case. A real disappointment. Wedding millSpecial Features:
- Vista and food a perfect pairingTeugisDined on 8/24/2014From the welcome to the departure from great staff the experience at 53 by the Sea was fantastic. The food was superb yet modestly priced for a restaurant of this style The view is simply fantastic and worth he visit alone, when paired with great food it is superb Recommend to anyone looking for a great lunch venue, will return to try the evening menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for special occasionPickyDined on 8/22/2014The setting is great for taking visitors, and also for celebrating something. We did not consider it overpriced. We were very impressed with the food. Everything was delicious, the menu was interesting, and the service was fantastic. The foie gras is the only one I've tasted that compares with Duc's. The cocktail menu was also interesting, but "Ring of Fire" that we ordered was way too sweet - too much cranberry.Special Features:
- great customer servicehimawari3Dined on 8/21/2014I took my sister (visiting us from Japan) and my sons for lunch. I mentioned it to our waiter ( believe his name was Zach) when he asked if any special occasion. I choose salad and three others took soup. My green salad was so fresh, and big portion that I couldn't even finish. Everything was so good. What we really amazed was when we had desert. They gave my sister a special plate, written "Welcome" with chocolate and decorated with extra fruits and cake. What a surprise! My sister was so pleased as same as all of us. What a great customer service! I definitely go back for special an occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice scenic viewPyloDined on 8/18/2014We went there at the sunset. We can see a beatiful Diamond head and Kalia Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect lunchHonolulu50Dined on 8/17/2014This restaurant is gorgeous. Beautiful open space with spectacular view. Lunch entrees included a generous amuse bouche (and yummy bread with lilikoi butter) and a delicious coconut sorbet dessert. Scampi was very tasty, chirashi sushi was art. Service was top notch - gracious and kind. Especially to our two little ones. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:
- excellentyukariminoriDined on 8/16/2014hospitality is so good, dishes were delicious. location is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sp4MendyDined on 8/16/2014We had not known of 53 by the Sea until this trip. The views and the ambiance were spectacular, and we were treated as if we were special by the staff. The menu was very interesting, and the presentation of the dishes was superb. We received a beautiful special dessert for our anniversary. We definitely will return.Special Features:
- fantastic view!jhasatoDined on 8/16/2014lunch was delicious and the view was exquisite! service was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not too classyProfileDined on 8/15/2014it was way too crowded for a special occasion restaurant. and though I booked way ahead they gave me a table in the middle of the restaurant . they did relocated us to the bar area and the server was not that great - though we tip him 20%. it was cheesy that he checked how much tip he got right after. he probably thought we were tourist? I enjoyed the food but I would not recommend to others for special occasion. it was my mom's birthday but was not impressed. I would not reserve it on open table either because I asked for special occasion birthday for my mom and quiet table and we had noisy not so special night.Special Features:
- Beautiful viewShelVIPDined on 8/14/2014An incredible view of Diamond Head and surfers. All the food is presented beautifully and tasted as good as it looked. We all had seafood which was perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- beautiful lunch experienceFlowerDined on 8/14/2014excellent food, outstanding service and wonderful viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerIlovefoodDined on 8/12/2014I will go back again. A bit pricey but worth it. If you like fine dining you can't go wrong here. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chirashi SushiHonGuyVIPDined on 8/10/2014I just went there for lunch. Had the chirashi sushi - small diced up fresh ahi, oily salmon & hamachi, ikura, takuwan, & cucumbers, on a 8" round of shiso infused sushi rice with sprouts all around. I was in heaven. It was a lightly flavored meal with enough quantity to fill me up. Definitely a lunch time favorite going forward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLouisDined on 8/2/2014Wife and I very impressed by the decor and view. Meal and wine was wonderful, everything I expected, a little pricey but acceptable. Would I return, in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view and great food!KetomamaVIPDined on 8/2/2014it was my first visit and i enjoyed everything. there were 3 big parties going on and it was bit too lively. other than that everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View-tastic!BirthdaygirlVIPDined on 8/1/2014The view is spectacular! Service was friendly and timing excellent. Seafood showcase was delicious! Lovely cocktails and wine list was respectable. Excellent site for a special occasion. It's a place for a celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place for celebrations w/ sominixixDined on 7/30/2014I went this place twice. One was a dinner and the other one was for sunset dinner. We ate seafood plate for appetizer, mahi mahi, and haupia cream brulee. The presentation of food was beautiful. If you dont like to eat cold or raw food dont order the sea food plate. The fish was soft and juicy. The dessert is to die for. Best dessert I have eaten in my life! They have nice cocktails. They also served us free cake for birthday, which is super nice of them. Valet parking. The view is spectacular. I enjoyed sunset dinner the most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and location, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant is on the site of the old John Dominis, and has an unparalleled view of Diamond Head and the ocean. The food is generally quite good, though some items (salads, fish) are much better than others (sandwiches). For lunch, your entree comes with an appetizer (of the chef's choosing) and small dessert (usually ice cream/sorbet). The meal is a good value if you order a large salad (around $20) but can run over $30-40 if you order steak, lobster, etc.. At our last visit, we were surprised to find that we were charged $10 for each of our iced teas (each with its own large carafe). I hope this restaurant succeeds since it is a wonderful unique venue, but it needs to bring prices more in line with other fine dining restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingJacquelynnyoung27Dined on 7/19/2014My dinning experience at 53 By The Sea was excellent! All of the employees were very friendly and welcoming, even the valet guy. Our server was Matt and he was excellent. He took the time to explain the food menu and how it's prepared and had impecable timing. I don't usually dine in places as fancy as 53 By The Sea, but I have to say it was a lovely evening to spend celebrating my anniversary❤️👌Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.