518 W. Jones St.
Raleigh, NC 27605Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.518west.com/
- Phone: 9198292518
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Serge Falcoz-Vigne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy the 518 Style at your Home or Office. Our full menu is available for takeout.
A word from 518 West
For reservations of parties over six people, please call us directly. 518 West, an Italian Restaurant in Raleigh, North Carolina, specializes in seasonal fresh pastas, wood fired pizzas, fresh seafood, steaks, and specials inspired by the flavors of Italy and the Mediterranean. Located in the heart of Glenwood South, 518 West is a short drive from the Raleigh/Durham Airport (RDU) and the Research Triangle. 518 West was recently voted, "Best Italian Restaurant in the Triangle", by the readers of the Independent, the areas leading local magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
518 West - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
518 West reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)neighborhood gem (83)romantic (77)good for groups (60)fit for foodies (57)great for lunch (39)notable wine list (38)great for brunch (26)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (15)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (8)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed our meal! We live near their sister restaurant 411 West, otherwise we would come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Olive GardenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014The staff was friendly and competent, he knew the menu items and gave suggestions if requested. However, the food was mediocre. I'm not sure what the goal of the restaurant is but the "wood fire" pizza tasted and looked like it just came out of the freezer, the calamari was also bland, and the pasta dishes did not taste freshly made. It's not worth making reservations but if you need an inexpensive night out with the kiddos go for it!Special Features:
- Thank goodness we had a GrouponOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014I ate at 518 years ago and remembered how delicious it was... I boosted about their pasta for days prior to our date night without kids (pretty big occasion in my house). Service was not the best by any means. The calamari was greasy and soggy. The pasta was "OK" - very under seasoned. The biggest disappointment was the tough rubbery shrimp. We will definitely not return. On a good note, the atmosphere was very romantic and the hostesses very prompt and cordial. Unfortunately, we were let down from there. 😔Special Features:
- Always delicious!Jjcarr27Dined on 8/30/2014The special Caprese salad was super cold and delicious!Special Features:
- Great Meal, Reasonable PriceRaleighJacketDined on 8/28/2014Every time I have come to 518 West I have gotten a great meal at a very reasonable price for a top-notch Italian restaurant. We had the crab dip, which was excellent. We had the shrimp carbonara pasta and the hazlenut pesto pasta. The pastas are homemade and the pesto sauce was sweet with the hazlenut with a sprinkling of goat cheese and grilled chicken. The carbonara sauce was rich and very flavorful. The service on a slow night was very attentive and knowledgeable. He recommended the cinnamon gelato which was fantastic. All in all a great dining experience at a very affordable price!Special Features:
- A Fun Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Had a great dinning experience this past Tuesday night. Food was excellent and Antonio our server was spot on! We will be back!Special Features:
- Special Celebration Dinnermovie16mmDined on 8/24/2014Signed up from the internet through the Raleigh Restaurant Week I knew nothing about 518 and chose it from the menu. We had a wonderful meal there. It was a combination my wife's birthday and our 35th anniversary dinner. The place is charming and we ate on the second floor loft area. I am a picky eater yet I ate everything. The Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus was delicious. The second course PASTA SALTIMBOCCA was very tasty. My only complaint would be the chicken seemed a bit dry. The Cypress Cabernet was nice and the MILLIONAIRE PIE was an excellent desert. Over all we had a great time I would recommend it to anyone wanting a a nice evening meal. I want to give it 4 1/2 stars but it doesn't seem to let me do 1/2s. I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 518newintown1Dined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed our whole experience except for the six top they sat between the two two tops.I knowthe restaurant ccan't help when six girls ghost o from loud to realky obnoxious. I know we will dine here again and again love this place.Special Features:
- Raleigh Restaurant weekXmasdiningDined on 8/22/2014I went with a friend and got the Restaurant Week menu. Everything was delicious. I had the fried green tomato salad, shrimp and polenta that was so creamy and the peanut butter pie. It was a large slice that I intended to take half home, but once I started eating it, I couldn't stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant week visitnpcraleighDined on 8/22/2014Went to 518 West with another couple on a busy Friday night during Raleigh restaurant week and we all tried the fixed price menu. Everyone loved their food choices. Marinara sauce on aggplant Parmesan was terrific, and the shrimp polenta was excellent. Despite crowd, service was great, from valet parking to greeting at the door to our top_notch waiter. All in all a fine evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West is BestJohnnysPicsDined on 8/21/2014This was our first dining experience at 518 West. The atmosphere is fantastic in a tastefully remodeled old building in the South Glenwood neighborhood. The menu is very reasonably priced, the food is excellent and the service was attentive and friendly. We plan on returning there soon with some friends and recommend this as a good destination.Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014there was a group of 20 or so upstairs ... ruined the dining experience ... they were so loud I could not hear my partner sitting across from me! The food was awesome! But the noise level for that alone would make me not want to come back. No one told the party to quiet down and everyone on the first floor kept looking up and giving bad looks to the party. I was not the only one annoyed by it. Other wise the restaurant was great and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond wonderfulstarzlghtDined on 8/20/2014I have loved 518 West since I started coming when I was younger back from '96 to now it has always been wonderful. If you get a chance to reserve the two top on the landing do it, great private table just for two!Special Features:
- TMooreDined on 8/20/2014As usual, the food was outstanding in taste and presentation and the service was excellent. We look forward to returning in the near future.Special Features:
- Downtown Raleigh Restaurant WeekGoudaNotGreatDined on 8/19/2014So at first when I showed up they had placed me in an inconvenient seat but quickly remedied the situation by putting me and my days in the landing area which was very romantic. Then the food was absolutely excellent, I went for the 3-course meal but shall be back again for individual items I enjoyed. The prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, shrimp with polenta, and Creme Brûlée were absolutely wonderful. The drink selection was also hearty in case you were wanting to compliment your meal with a nice wine or beer. We will definitely be back and I want to think 518 West for such great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSelahallanDined on 8/18/2014Food and service and waiter were excellent. Everything was just wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyabledynerDined on 8/14/2014Food was very good with the use of spices and herbs, plating was nice. Service was very attentive. All in all a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- first time..will be backmoovieloverVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a wonderful dinner here. The NC trout was prepared perfectly and my lady loved her lemon linguine. An appetizer of fried calamari was excellent as were the salads (Stella's and the grilled pear) we had. The wait staff was great and answered all our questions. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- EnjoyableMKL54Dined on 8/12/2014We spent a very enjoyable evening on a very rainy night. I had out of town guests from New York who were very satisfied and impressed with the food. I took them here especially because I knew the food was good. The waitstaff was friendly, accomodating to a couple of requests to alter the dish ordered which satisfied my customers. I wanted to show them the quality of restaurants in Raleigh and mission accomplished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Top 5 in RaleighbillhrsnDined on 8/9/2014We've wanted to go since 518 West opened, and we're happy we did. The space is elegantly and creatively done, with both an open and intimate air at the same time. Service was very warm and attentive. Our favorite cuisine was served flawlessly. Great for a change of pace, and certainly for special occasions.Special Features:
- Another WOWThatCoupleVIPDined on 8/8/2014I just love this restaurant. I did not make one decision concerning what I was going to eat. I left it totally up to our server Crosby. She did a fabulous job!!! She remembered that I love Chef Serge's way of cooking the polenta...... and of course it was on point again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014first time there and will go back next time we are in town. was recommended by a friend, did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We had a table for 4 people. The steak was amazing. We had one gluten free person and they made special meals for only at $1 surcharge. It is a lively atmosphere which was great for a Friday night.
- Another wonderful experienceCaniacLadyVIPDined on 8/6/2014My girlfriend and I have dined at 518 West numerous times over the past 18 months, mainly because it is conveniently on the way to our NC Theater plays and NC Symphony concerts. This time, however, we went there just because we've always had a 5-star dining experience. We were not disappointed. First, our waiter, Jacob, was absolutely superb! He was friendly, gracious, and attentive without being overly so. Our meals--Chicken Marsala and Trout--we're cooked to perfection. We each had a glass of wine, which was smooth and refreshing. We topped our meal with fresh-brewed coffee that sealed the relaxing, enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch in RaleighCrjonesDined on 8/3/2014The food is always amazing. Make sure you do brunch after 12:00 to take advantage of the bottomless mimosas. The crime brûlée is as good as any from the best restaurant in Europe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressiveSatisfiedVIPDined on 8/2/2014Based upon the reviews, we expected a lot more. The food was pretty pedestrian; the quality-price-ratio was low; the peach sorbet we had for dessert tasted like something from a WalMart freezer.
- not just for brunch...NCdinersDined on 8/2/2014We have dined many times at 518 West for brunch on Sunday, which is wonderful. Finally got around to dining there for dinner and we were so pleased. It was a busy Friday evening but we were seated at our reservation time despite a full restaurant and bar plus others waiting. Our server was so pleasant and so efficient even though she was also serving a large group near us. Everything on the menu is so tempting but we opted for a weekly special (wood-grilled mahi topped with bacon jam...so good!..with fresh corn creamed tart and jasmine rice) and were so happy we did. We left wondering why we had dined there in the evening before and plan to do so again. We highly recommend 518 West.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian with fresh French flairFridayfourDined on 8/2/2014We know Serge from his restaurant in Paris. And the Triangle is so lucky to now own him. He's a passionate food artist and it all comes alive at 518 West (having first done a gig at 411 on Franklin Street). I had the delicious trout, broccoli, and couscous. I would have devoured the Salmon over mashed potatoes, but my belt wouldn't allow it. Dining is easy energetic pleasure at a beautifully restored address. The area was abuzz with well dressed party people and wonderful sounds and smells. 518 continues as an essential foundation piece of the vibrant yet intimate city scene. Elegant and simple and artful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicefood4thoughtDined on 7/30/2014Great food and service as always. Went on a Wednesday night and did not have any wait and the food was brought out quite quicklySpecial Features:
- 518 West never missesfoxfirepopDined on 7/26/2014Family reunion for a prodigal daughter. (Great girl who's just moved back to the area). So a lot of conversation and catching up to do. Our family is best described as foodies with particular tastes in entrees, wine, craft brews and martinis. Everyone's tastes were more that met at 518 West. Noise level allowed pleasant talk without yelling, server was attentive but unobtrusive and don't miss the eggplant parmesan, best I've had in many, many years (simple but excellent seasoning)Special Features:
- Stella is a Star!!charDined on 7/26/2014You will never go wrong here if you order the Stella (stellar!!) salad and the Lemon Linguini w/ shrimp and scallops. YUM! just don't fill up on the delicious foccacia bread and olive oil and spoil your dinner!Special Features:
- Great place to eat!eat2liveDined on 7/26/2014Had dinner with friends and they fit us in right on time. Waitress was great, food was great, everything was great.Special Features:
- very reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Very tasty crab pasta dish for a reasonable price. Just wish it didn't have the shell like you find in canned crab meat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I guess all things change...WBTGDined on 7/25/2014It has been a few years but, 518 seems to have really lost its way. This used to be good to very good fairly straight forward food, a decent wine list & a lively restaurant & bar. In a more & more competitive downtown food scene, 518s mediocre food; more reminiscent of a diner, uninspired & limited wine selection, seems to have driven most of their crowd away to one of the many Great new choices which now surround them. It's still a great location & building & the wait staff seems to be trying hard but someone needs to sort out the menu, food quality & wine list or I fear they will fade away.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Food was amazing and service was super fast. Will definitely go back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Walk out of Downtown RaleighAlexDined on 7/25/2014Service was very good, waiter was very energetic and attentitive. The bread, drinks and salads arrived and was overall well prepared. My son (6) ordered the kid's cheese pizza, while my wife ordered the pasta with marinara. I had the lemon lingunie which had shrimp and scallops. The pizza was good although it had several burnt places on the bottom. My wife's pasta was good although the sauce had thickend as if it came out early and sat for a few minutes. My pasta was really good, the shrimp had a good flavor, scallops were well preparedt- so overall a good, in- expensive meal. For dessert we had crem brule, which was burnt (blackend) on several places on the top- we ate around. Again, good dinner, would go again. Total bill- $55.00.Special Features:
- A nice changeCraigTVIPDined on 7/20/2014Tucked away is a great part of Raleigh 518 West was low key with quality options. It was quiet and easy to get in and out. There were good selection on the menu with pretty good preparation and presentation. Not a memorable meal but one that will do as a nice family or low key date spot on a Sunday evening.
- one of my fav. italian restaurantsLizTVIPDined on 7/19/2014great food, quality service, what more can one ask for!Special Features:
- FoodCANYDined on 7/18/2014We came back bc food was great last time. This time the food was horrible, especially for an Italian restaurant should know how to cook pasta al dente, and pizza shouldn't be soggy as if came out of microwave.
- Anniversary dinnerMollyDined on 7/16/2014We celebrated our anniversary at 518 West from the moment we walked in we felt welcome. We were given a special table and champagne immediately when we sat down. 518 will definitely be our new special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.