518 W. Jones St.
Raleigh, NC 27605Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.518west.com/
- Phone: 9198292518
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Serge Falcoz-Vigne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy the 518 Style at your Home or Office. Our full menu is available for takeout.
A word from 518 West
For reservations of parties over six people, please call us directly. 518 West, an Italian Restaurant in Raleigh, North Carolina, specializes in seasonal fresh pastas, wood fired pizzas, fresh seafood, steaks, and specials inspired by the flavors of Italy and the Mediterranean. Located in the heart of Glenwood South, 518 West is a short drive from the Raleigh/Durham Airport (RDU) and the Research Triangle. 518 West was recently voted, "Best Italian Restaurant in the Triangle", by the readers of the Independent, the areas leading local magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
518 West - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
518 West reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (89)special occasion (85)romantic (70)fit for foodies (65)good for groups (58)notable wine list (38)great for lunch (29)hot spot (23)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (7)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- reviewValerieDined on 10/21/2014The bread was very good at the restaurant and my friend thought the vinegar on the table was great and wanted to know the brand so he could buySpecial Features:
- Nice dinner with familyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014comfortable décor and great service made catching up with our family fun.Special Features:
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time at the restaurant. After reviewing the menu there were not to many items that wouldn't have filled me up after a couple of bites, one being eggplant parm. I did order the Mahi which was very good but I don't generally like to order fish at an Italian restaurant. Most other dishes were either very filling or were made with some sort of cream sauce. My husband ordered the spaghetti w/bolognese since that's his test as to whether the food is good. His dish did pass the test. They do have a great wine list and the peanut butter pie and chocolate gelato were also very good. All desserts are made in house. I would give it a try if you are looking for a filling and satisfying meal.Special Features:
- ExcellentLuv2EatDined on 10/16/2014Great Gluten Free menu! Customer service was excellent. Kids menu was reasonable and had many choices. Was not happy about the Reisling wine choice, might want to explore other options or adding another choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shrimp polenta was delicious!SusanSDined on 10/15/2014Another nice night at 518! Service and food were fabulous. Mussels are the best I've ever had anywhere, you must order them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made our anniversary specialSusanSDined on 10/12/2014We had exceptional service and attention for our anniversary dinner. Cameron was our waitress and she was wonderful! Even the car valet, David, was a polite and pleasant young man! Food was terrific, I am going back tomorrow night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectkb0801Dined on 10/8/2014I have been to 518 West many times and have NEVER had a negative experience. Love the food, atmosphere and wait staff. So nice to know there is always a place to go in downtown Raleigh that is consistently awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza oven Out of ServiceBoboDined on 9/30/2014518 is awesome. Just need to wait until the pizza oven is back in service. They are fixing it & all will be back to top notch & deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food and service very good. Would return and recommend to friendsSpecial Features:
- Always excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I have been going here for years. We have never had a bad experience. Last night was no exception. They were busy, but we did not wait long for anything. We took friends who were visiting from Atlanta, and they could not stop talking about how good it was. Always excellent...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotRgp1207Dined on 9/26/2014Food was great and reasonably priced. I had heard great things about the restaurant, and now I know why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Scratch made pasta, best I've ever had in a restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great Italian EntreesDKandTKDined on 9/24/2014The food is excellent. The dishes are full of flavor and the wine list is great.Special Features:
- Good service & drink specialsNCgirlVIPDined on 9/24/2014I had a very good waiter and liked the $5 drink specials. The crab dip was not very good but at least I got it for $5.18 on the early appetizer special; Rucker Johns in Wilmington has a much better crab spread. The Stella salad and seafood in puff pastry were good, but I think they may be using the less expensive shrimp and scallops from outside the USA due to the reaction I had after eating the shellfish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodGailDined on 9/24/2014Lunch with friends; service was outstanding and food choice and taste very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is excellentSelahallanDined on 9/23/2014They do a great job on who they hire as we have never had a bad experience with any of the wait staff. All are friendly and attentive. We also have always enjoyed our meals. Worth a try if you have not eaten here before.Special Features:
- ALWAYS FIVE STARdenapVIPDined on 9/22/2014We love going to 518 West for a myriad of reasons!First and foremost,the hostesses are so friendly and accommodating.Secondly,Jeremy was so attentive and knowledgeable and personable/professional that we will ALWAYS request him on our future visits.The menu is so inviting.Of our party of 3,I am gluten intolerant and the gluten free menu is FABULOUS (chicken parm to die for over spaghetti),and my spouse and other guest thoroughly enjoyed their choices as well.The Stella salad,as always,lived up to its high expectations and my spouse's calamari was a keeper.I chose the cinnamon sorbet with caramel sauce for dessert and it didn't disappoint.518 West is consistent,fairly priced,convenient and superbly managed with a devoted staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wait StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We choose all of our waiter's suggestions and were not led astray. He was well versed in wine choices and was very attentive to all of his tables.Special Features:
- Classic Italian ExperienceRaleighFoodieDined on 9/19/2014So this restaurant has a great location however, the food is ALWAYS under seasoned. I think the chef needs to instruct the staff on how to test foods prior to just sending them out. I know that you run the risk of not seasoning to everyones liking but there has to be something to it! Otherwise, the restaurants itself is like I said in a wonderful location and I feel could amp up the food.Special Features:
- Italian in RaleighRealItalianDined on 9/19/2014We are New Yorkers - I grew up in Brooklyn and I am Italian The food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodCarolineSDined on 9/18/2014The restaurant didn't have record of our opentable reservation, but we were still easily given a table. The food was pretty good, service was very good, excellent wine, but the restaurant wasn't anything out of the ordinary. As others have mentioned, the restaurant seems to have "aged" and wasn't as nice/clean as I remembered from the past. Overall, a good meal and evening out.Special Features:
- Romantic EveningncdinerDined on 9/18/2014My lady friend and I came here on our first date - and it was so good we decided to come back every month on the same day. Since I'm gluten-free, we're pleased that there is always something on the menu I can eat (can't wait for the pizza oven to return!). The food is very, very good and the service is always outstanding. We enjoy sitting upstairs near the back windows. And we love the valet parking. Thanks for the consistently enjoyable evenings!Special Features:
- OK (but not a good value)HangryDinerDined on 9/17/2014The ambiance was good, the waiter was really good, their bread was very lacking and the Chicken Marsala was decent buffet-worthy and not otherwise remarkable. I think the bread was supposed to be a rosemary focaccia but the bread texture and "crumb" was all wrong. The crust was more "cake-like" than a good artisanal bread would be. (Can you make cornbread out of wheat?). It was as if the gluten never formed strands. Was I victimized by a deceitful "fakecaccia" that used something other than yeast for leavening... say it ain't so Joe! At any rate, I'll not be back.
- Just ok...Suzanne64Dined on 9/16/2014It had been quite a few years since I'd last been here and I must say 518 is looking it's age. The service was fine and the place is clean, but it just didn't have that "wow" factor like it did when it was newer. 1/2 price wine special was nice. Bread basket was pretty good. Caesar salad was great. I had The Crab pasta entree and thought it was a little over salted. Husband seemed to enjoy his Chicken Parmesan. The most disappointing thing of the meal was the Tiramisu dessert. It was hands down the worst Tiramisu I've ever had and I paid $6 for it! It tasted more like chocolate pudding with whipped cream than Tiramisu! Unfortunately I had ordered it "to go", so didn't find this out until I got home or I probably would have sent it back.
- Better Italian restaurantsLuv2travelVIPDined on 9/15/2014Restaurant does not make its customers feel welcomed. Food was nothing special. For the price there are definitely other better options in the Triangle that offer Italian.
- Amazingslr2015Dined on 9/13/2014Amazing food: everyone in my group cleaned their plates. I had the salmon and have been dreaming about it ever since! Amazing service: he always asked us how each course (salads, entrees, dessert) was, and none of us ever had an empty glass. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experiencezap1kDined on 9/12/2014Food and service were both excellent. Enjoyed a very good presentation of food and tasted greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerElliotVIPDined on 9/12/2014Porcini Ravioli Shrimp, kale salad, creamy cauliflower and raspberry sriracha 14.00 Very good Scallops and Shrimp Bienville Bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes sauteed with a sherry cream sauce and served over a puff pastry 14.00 fantasticSpecial Features:
- Always great!IrishreenDined on 9/11/2014Always a great experience! Service and food is always wonderful!Special Features:
- Great service from sweet serverRbinraleighDined on 9/9/2014Made a 25th anniversary dinner reservation and they treated us awesome....great wine specials and dessert and coffee on the house. Always love this place and after this dinner I remember why...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 518 West is usually bettercoocoocajooDined on 9/7/2014Went on a Sunday night, so was not as crowded as normal. Ordered chicken marsala, which is usually pretty good. Food was well-prepared, but the marsala sauce was bland, which detracted from otherwise well-prepared meal. Wife got steak, which was not cut properly, which prevented it from being cooked uniformly so that parts were well-done, while other parts were almost raw. Otherwise, meal was good, but expected better from 518 West.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner outTwooutDined on 9/6/2014Had a great experience! Service was spot on, seating was on second level and the best spot in the house. Both of our meals we very simple, unique and excellent all at the same time - definitely a place to hit again and again.Special Features:
- Great date night!AnniversaryDinerDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went to 518 West to celebrate his birthday. The food was excellent and the server was very attentive. We loved that they didn't rush us a along and that the food came out with enough time to enjoy our appetizer first. The tiramisu was phenominal but huge...ask for two spoons! Definitely a great date night spot!Special Features:
- Great foodjbrowneDined on 9/6/2014We have been twice, and both times the food has been excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant. Have the tiramisu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualMax27527Dined on 9/6/2014I have been here and eaten several times: never dissapointed. You won't be either!Special Features:
- Delicious and Wonderful MealGrammKakieDined on 9/5/2014We have eaten at 518 West before and was so impressed we took our friends there this past weekend. No one left disappointed and we had excellent appetizers (artichoke dip & asparagus) and 3 different entrees (eggplant, chicken and shrimp & scallops). For dessert each couple split the Tiramisù and brownie with Gelato. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Raleigh's Better Placesrlp2451Dined on 9/3/2014I've been to 518 West several times and have never had anything less than a wonderful experience. Great tasting food, adequate portions, attentive wait staff, and great atmosphere all leads to a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed our meal! We live near their sister restaurant 411 West, otherwise we would come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Olive GardenitaliandivaDined on 8/30/2014The staff was friendly and competent, he knew the menu items and gave suggestions if requested. However, the food was mediocre. I'm not sure what the goal of the restaurant is but the "wood fire" pizza tasted and looked like it just came out of the freezer, the calamari was also bland, and the pasta dishes did not taste freshly made. It's not worth making reservations but if you need an inexpensive night out with the kiddos go for it!Special Features:
- Thank goodness we had a GrouponPassDined on 8/30/2014I ate at 518 years ago and remembered how delicious it was... I boosted about their pasta for days prior to our date night without kids (pretty big occasion in my house). Service was not the best by any means. The calamari was greasy and soggy. The pasta was "OK" - very under seasoned. The biggest disappointment was the tough rubbery shrimp. We will definitely not return. On a good note, the atmosphere was very romantic and the hostesses very prompt and cordial. Unfortunately, we were let down from there. 😔Special Features: