518 W. Jones St.
Raleigh, NC 27605Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.518west.com/
- Phone: 9198292518
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Serge Falcoz-Vigne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy the 518 Style at your Home or Office. Our full menu is available for takeout.
A word from 518 West
For reservations of parties over six people, please call us directly. 518 West, an Italian Restaurant in Raleigh, North Carolina, specializes in seasonal fresh pastas, wood fired pizzas, fresh seafood, steaks, and specials inspired by the flavors of Italy and the Mediterranean. Located in the heart of Glenwood South, 518 West is a short drive from the Raleigh/Durham Airport (RDU) and the Research Triangle. 518 West was recently voted, "Best Italian Restaurant in the Triangle", by the readers of the Independent, the areas leading local magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
518 West - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
518 West reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (103)special occasion (101)romantic (82)fit for foodies (69)good for groups (61)notable wine list (44)great for lunch (38)hot spot (24)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (18)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (9)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food and service very good. Would return and recommend to friendsSpecial Features:
- Always excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I have been going here for years. We have never had a bad experience. Last night was no exception. They were busy, but we did not wait long for anything. We took friends who were visiting from Atlanta, and they could not stop talking about how good it was. Always excellent...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotRgp1207Dined on 9/26/2014Food was great and reasonably priced. I had heard great things about the restaurant, and now I know why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Scratch made pasta, best I've ever had in a restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great Italian EntreesDKandTKDined on 9/24/2014The food is excellent. The dishes are full of flavor and the wine list is great.Special Features:
- Good service & drink specialsNCgirlVIPDined on 9/24/2014I had a very good waiter and liked the $5 drink specials. The crab dip was not very good but at least I got it for $5.18 on the early appetizer special; Rucker Johns in Wilmington has a much better crab spread. The Stella salad and seafood in puff pastry were good, but I think they may be using the less expensive shrimp and scallops from outside the USA due to the reaction I had after eating the shellfish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodGailDined on 9/24/2014Lunch with friends; service was outstanding and food choice and taste very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is excellentSelahallanDined on 9/23/2014They do a great job on who they hire as we have never had a bad experience with any of the wait staff. All are friendly and attentive. We also have always enjoyed our meals. Worth a try if you have not eaten here before.Special Features:
- ALWAYS FIVE STARdenapVIPDined on 9/22/2014We love going to 518 West for a myriad of reasons!First and foremost,the hostesses are so friendly and accommodating.Secondly,Jeremy was so attentive and knowledgeable and personable/professional that we will ALWAYS request him on our future visits.The menu is so inviting.Of our party of 3,I am gluten intolerant and the gluten free menu is FABULOUS (chicken parm to die for over spaghetti),and my spouse and other guest thoroughly enjoyed their choices as well.The Stella salad,as always,lived up to its high expectations and my spouse's calamari was a keeper.I chose the cinnamon sorbet with caramel sauce for dessert and it didn't disappoint.518 West is consistent,fairly priced,convenient and superbly managed with a devoted staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wait StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We choose all of our waiter's suggestions and were not led astray. He was well versed in wine choices and was very attentive to all of his tables.Special Features:
- Classic Italian ExperienceRaleighFoodieDined on 9/19/2014So this restaurant has a great location however, the food is ALWAYS under seasoned. I think the chef needs to instruct the staff on how to test foods prior to just sending them out. I know that you run the risk of not seasoning to everyones liking but there has to be something to it! Otherwise, the restaurants itself is like I said in a wonderful location and I feel could amp up the food.Special Features:
- Italian in RaleighRealItalianDined on 9/19/2014We are New Yorkers - I grew up in Brooklyn and I am Italian The food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodCarolineSDined on 9/18/2014The restaurant didn't have record of our opentable reservation, but we were still easily given a table. The food was pretty good, service was very good, excellent wine, but the restaurant wasn't anything out of the ordinary. As others have mentioned, the restaurant seems to have "aged" and wasn't as nice/clean as I remembered from the past. Overall, a good meal and evening out.Special Features:
- OK (but not a good value)HangryDinerDined on 9/17/2014The ambiance was good, the waiter was really good, their bread was very lacking and the Chicken Marsala was decent buffet-worthy and not otherwise remarkable. I think the bread was supposed to be a rosemary focaccia but the bread texture and "crumb" was all wrong. The crust was more "cake-like" than a good artisanal bread would be. (Can you make cornbread out of wheat?). It was as if the gluten never formed strands. Was I victimized by a deceitful "fakecaccia" that used something other than yeast for leavening... say it ain't so Joe! At any rate, I'll not be back.
- Just ok...Suzanne64Dined on 9/16/2014It had been quite a few years since I'd last been here and I must say 518 is looking it's age. The service was fine and the place is clean, but it just didn't have that "wow" factor like it did when it was newer. 1/2 price wine special was nice. Bread basket was pretty good. Caesar salad was great. I had The Crab pasta entree and thought it was a little over salted. Husband seemed to enjoy his Chicken Parmesan. The most disappointing thing of the meal was the Tiramisu dessert. It was hands down the worst Tiramisu I've ever had and I paid $6 for it! It tasted more like chocolate pudding with whipped cream than Tiramisu! Unfortunately I had ordered it "to go", so didn't find this out until I got home or I probably would have sent it back.
- Better Italian restaurantsLuv2travelVIPDined on 9/15/2014Restaurant does not make its customers feel welcomed. Food was nothing special. For the price there are definitely other better options in the Triangle that offer Italian.
- Amazingslr2015Dined on 9/13/2014Amazing food: everyone in my group cleaned their plates. I had the salmon and have been dreaming about it ever since! Amazing service: he always asked us how each course (salads, entrees, dessert) was, and none of us ever had an empty glass. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experiencezap1kDined on 9/12/2014Food and service were both excellent. Enjoyed a very good presentation of food and tasted greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerElliotVIPDined on 9/12/2014Porcini Ravioli Shrimp, kale salad, creamy cauliflower and raspberry sriracha 14.00 Very good Scallops and Shrimp Bienville Bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes sauteed with a sherry cream sauce and served over a puff pastry 14.00 fantasticSpecial Features:
- Always great!IrishreenDined on 9/11/2014Always a great experience! Service and food is always wonderful!Special Features:
- Great service from sweet serverRbinraleighDined on 9/9/2014Made a 25th anniversary dinner reservation and they treated us awesome....great wine specials and dessert and coffee on the house. Always love this place and after this dinner I remember why...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 518 West is usually bettercoocoocajooDined on 9/7/2014Went on a Sunday night, so was not as crowded as normal. Ordered chicken marsala, which is usually pretty good. Food was well-prepared, but the marsala sauce was bland, which detracted from otherwise well-prepared meal. Wife got steak, which was not cut properly, which prevented it from being cooked uniformly so that parts were well-done, while other parts were almost raw. Otherwise, meal was good, but expected better from 518 West.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner outTwooutDined on 9/6/2014Had a great experience! Service was spot on, seating was on second level and the best spot in the house. Both of our meals we very simple, unique and excellent all at the same time - definitely a place to hit again and again.Special Features:
- Great date night!AnniversaryDinerDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went to 518 West to celebrate his birthday. The food was excellent and the server was very attentive. We loved that they didn't rush us a along and that the food came out with enough time to enjoy our appetizer first. The tiramisu was phenominal but huge...ask for two spoons! Definitely a great date night spot!Special Features:
- Great foodjbrowneDined on 9/6/2014We have been twice, and both times the food has been excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant. Have the tiramisu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualMax27527Dined on 9/6/2014I have been here and eaten several times: never dissapointed. You won't be either!Special Features:
- Delicious and Wonderful MealGrammKakieDined on 9/5/2014We have eaten at 518 West before and was so impressed we took our friends there this past weekend. No one left disappointed and we had excellent appetizers (artichoke dip & asparagus) and 3 different entrees (eggplant, chicken and shrimp & scallops). For dessert each couple split the Tiramisù and brownie with Gelato. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Raleigh's Better Placesrlp2451Dined on 9/3/2014I've been to 518 West several times and have never had anything less than a wonderful experience. Great tasting food, adequate portions, attentive wait staff, and great atmosphere all leads to a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed our meal! We live near their sister restaurant 411 West, otherwise we would come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Olive GardenitaliandivaDined on 8/30/2014The staff was friendly and competent, he knew the menu items and gave suggestions if requested. However, the food was mediocre. I'm not sure what the goal of the restaurant is but the "wood fire" pizza tasted and looked like it just came out of the freezer, the calamari was also bland, and the pasta dishes did not taste freshly made. It's not worth making reservations but if you need an inexpensive night out with the kiddos go for it!Special Features:
- Thank goodness we had a GrouponPassDined on 8/30/2014I ate at 518 years ago and remembered how delicious it was... I boosted about their pasta for days prior to our date night without kids (pretty big occasion in my house). Service was not the best by any means. The calamari was greasy and soggy. The pasta was "OK" - very under seasoned. The biggest disappointment was the tough rubbery shrimp. We will definitely not return. On a good note, the atmosphere was very romantic and the hostesses very prompt and cordial. Unfortunately, we were let down from there. 😔Special Features:
- Always delicious!Jjcarr27Dined on 8/30/2014The special Caprese salad was super cold and delicious!Special Features:
- Great Meal, Reasonable PriceRaleighJacketDined on 8/28/2014Every time I have come to 518 West I have gotten a great meal at a very reasonable price for a top-notch Italian restaurant. We had the crab dip, which was excellent. We had the shrimp carbonara pasta and the hazlenut pesto pasta. The pastas are homemade and the pesto sauce was sweet with the hazlenut with a sprinkling of goat cheese and grilled chicken. The carbonara sauce was rich and very flavorful. The service on a slow night was very attentive and knowledgeable. He recommended the cinnamon gelato which was fantastic. All in all a great dining experience at a very affordable price!Special Features:
- A Fun Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Had a great dinning experience this past Tuesday night. Food was excellent and Antonio our server was spot on! We will be back!Special Features:
- Special Celebration Dinnermovie16mmDined on 8/24/2014Signed up from the internet through the Raleigh Restaurant Week I knew nothing about 518 and chose it from the menu. We had a wonderful meal there. It was a combination my wife's birthday and our 35th anniversary dinner. The place is charming and we ate on the second floor loft area. I am a picky eater yet I ate everything. The Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus was delicious. The second course PASTA SALTIMBOCCA was very tasty. My only complaint would be the chicken seemed a bit dry. The Cypress Cabernet was nice and the MILLIONAIRE PIE was an excellent desert. Over all we had a great time I would recommend it to anyone wanting a a nice evening meal. I want to give it 4 1/2 stars but it doesn't seem to let me do 1/2s. I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 518newintown1Dined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed our whole experience except for the six top they sat between the two two tops.I knowthe restaurant ccan't help when six girls ghost o from loud to realky obnoxious. I know we will dine here again and again love this place.Special Features:
- Raleigh Restaurant weekXmasdiningDined on 8/22/2014I went with a friend and got the Restaurant Week menu. Everything was delicious. I had the fried green tomato salad, shrimp and polenta that was so creamy and the peanut butter pie. It was a large slice that I intended to take half home, but once I started eating it, I couldn't stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant week visitnpcraleighDined on 8/22/2014Went to 518 West with another couple on a busy Friday night during Raleigh restaurant week and we all tried the fixed price menu. Everyone loved their food choices. Marinara sauce on aggplant Parmesan was terrific, and the shrimp polenta was excellent. Despite crowd, service was great, from valet parking to greeting at the door to our top_notch waiter. All in all a fine evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West is BestJohnnysPicsDined on 8/21/2014This was our first dining experience at 518 West. The atmosphere is fantastic in a tastefully remodeled old building in the South Glenwood neighborhood. The menu is very reasonably priced, the food is excellent and the service was attentive and friendly. We plan on returning there soon with some friends and recommend this as a good destination.Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014there was a group of 20 or so upstairs ... ruined the dining experience ... they were so loud I could not hear my partner sitting across from me! The food was awesome! But the noise level for that alone would make me not want to come back. No one told the party to quiet down and everyone on the first floor kept looking up and giving bad looks to the party. I was not the only one annoyed by it. Other wise the restaurant was great and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.