5 Napkin Burger - Upper West Side
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
5 Napkin Burger - Upper West Side
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://5napkinburger.com/
- Phone: 2123334488x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 4:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 5 Napkin Burger - Upper West Side
5 Napkin Burger is an upscale restaurant devoted to the art of the hamburger. The signature is 10 oz of fresh ground chuck topped with rosemary aioli, caramelized onions and melted gruyere on a soft white roll. The full burger lineup includes the all-American Bacon Cheddar, Italian Turkey, Avocado Ranch, Veggie, Lamb, Tuna, Inside Out, even a Burger Salad. While the burgers may be the headliners, the diverse menu of expertly prepared American classics entice foodies to come back nightly. 5 Napkin is the rare burger restaurant where vegetarians and carnivores are equally at home. Additional temptations include Matzo Ball Soup, Chicken & Waffles and Steak Churrasco. The 5 Napkin beverage programs showcases a global selection of 40 wines and 50 beers, 15 signature cocktails, 20 bourbons and a host of decadent milk shakes and floats – all a perfect complement to the cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
5 Napkin Burger - Upper West Side - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
5 Napkin Burger - Upper West Side reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (26)neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (23)good for groups (18)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (12)late-night find (10)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)special occasion (5)romantic (1)Show More
- wilburVIPDined on 9/19/2014We always enjoy the food at 5 Napkin Burger, but have to say that the service has been very slow and indifferent our last two visits.Special Features:
- Not GoodErmaVIPDined on 9/16/2014A really nice burger, and everything else is significantly sub-par. The vinegar slaw is awful, not just bad.
- Portions got smallerHungry2Dined on 9/10/2014We come here frequently and have noticed the portions shrinking - a shame. Have a smaller appetite menu sectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingParisianfoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was not very good, especially the tacos con carne… and even the "5 Napkin burger", specialty of the house. Disappointing...Special Features:
- Ketchup2fordinnerDined on 8/29/2014Do not fill the ketchup bottles all the way to the top I have hard time using itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burgersJackierVIPDined on 8/25/2014And the choice on menu is excellent. Great local place which I frequent a lotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wilburVIPDined on 8/11/2014Our food was good, but service was indifferent at best.Special Features:
- great veggie burgerRachelwinDined on 8/9/2014Double date, 2 veggies, 2 carnivores. Everyone enjoyed the food, got seated fast, service was great. The fries were a bit cold though and not as good as usualSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Group Big FunEater1Dined on 8/8/2014What happens when a vegan nutritionist, food allergic and gluten free friends get together with their kids and besties at a NYC Restaurant? If it's 5 Napkin Burger, then everyone is pleased. We had a group of 11. Everyone got what they wanted, when they wanted. Great service. Great food. And wonderful company.Special Features:
- DisappointinglovetoeatVIPDined on 7/30/2014The food was good as was the service. The hostess Eva is charming, people- oriented, very helpful and eager to satisfy customers. The description of the Special Lobster dinner was misleading. The actual lobster meat was very small and covered with herbs and bread crumbs to disguise the mediocre amount of lobster. It should have been placed in a roll and advertised as a Special Lobster Roll dinner! The noise level was very high compounded by blasting music. The waiter,very nicely, lowered the sound. The hamburgers looked good, and we should have ordered them instead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favsRobbyVIPDined on 7/28/2014AMAZING buffalo wings (im a big wing guy)... great burgers/good steaks/other stuff... im a regular... love all of the 5napkins!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid BurgerDicksonButtmanDined on 7/26/2014You know what it is, and when you want it…This is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceDmanVIPDined on 7/25/2014We come here a LOT and there's a reason. Everything on the menu is good. Service always comes with a smile, too.Special Features:
- LobstershellsterDined on 7/19/2014I did not go for burgers which is what they are known for and are probably good. We went for the lobster (July special) but found them to be small and mediocre. We also fine the wine list to be too expensive relative the menu ie should be scaled down to fit the menu. The service was fine.Special Features:
- Poor service but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Service was garbage. We saw our waiter when we ordered and paid the check. The food was very good and cooked properly. Not our first time at this restaurant but was the first time at this location. In the future, we'd go to the Hell's Kitchen locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Burgerkgm3Dined on 7/19/2014Original Five Napkin Burger is the best burger to be found. Never disappoints. Fries and sides are very good as well. My only complaint is that they only give you one napkin ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointing favorite spotJeffrey89VIPDined on 7/16/20145 Napkin was one of my fav spots on the UWS. Informal, fast service and really good food. Been there a dozen or more times. In my last 2 visits there, 25-30 min wait for food, inattentive wait staff and really lackluster Blacken Mahi sandwich (tuna burger is still the best choice), fries come to the table, in tiny pieces and over baked. Not sure if this restaurant changed hands but not sure my family will allow one more visit before we cross this off the list but its truly sad to see a neighborhood gem fall from grace.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014I always go for the lamb burger which is outstanding and switch the fries out for a salad. The waitress was so-so. She took the order quickly but then the food took some time to arrive. She also never came back to collect the check. We ultimately had to hand it to the matre 'd after about 20 minutes. The good thing is that we were obviously not rushed.
- Overpriced for what you getNatashaDined on 7/10/2014This is a very popular UPW burger joint-- although there are other food options as well. It is a fun, inviting atmosphere. However, the burgers were good but not special and for $15 or more you expect more. I could probably pay half that price at a neighborhood dinner or coffee shopSpecial Features:
- It's all about the burgersneilmDined on 6/25/2014With out question 5 Napkin serves delicious burgers, with an interesting variety of condiments, clearly though the meat and prep are high quality and the overall focus, the over-the-top noise level makes conversation for even 4 a bit of a chore, and even with a reservation (on Open Table) a 15 minute wait should be expected. Stay clear of the salads and other options, although the fries were excellently flavored and crisp.Special Features:
- Good timeRobertRedfordDined on 6/24/2014The food was pretty good. The cocktail list was great. And the server was friendly and helpful with suggestions on the menu.Special Features:
- Guy eating a hamburgerguyeatinghamburgerDined on 6/21/2014The hamburger was OK. It was a juicy, medium rare. It might have benefited from some additional seasoning. When I got a bite that included the caramelized onions, that was nice. The fries were nothing special. I ate them without adding salt and ate them all. It was a dependable meal. Nothing was terrible or incredibly good. I would not go too far out of my way for it. 5 Napkins is a place where you can get a solid, somewhat pricey, $16 burger. It is a good choice if you don't want to make a mistake. This is far from praise. Regarding ambience, the room was unpleasantly loud. Everyone seemed happy though. Happy and shouting at each other. I love Manhattan.Special Features:
- Great Food as alwaysthomasdVIPDined on 6/19/20145 Napkin Burger always has great food. we were very happy with the meal, although our service wasn't great.Special Features:
- always a good choiceNewyorkerVIPDined on 6/19/2014Five Napkin Burger is always a good choice for a quick dinner. Te salads are a pleasant surprise and so fresh. The burgers are always cooked perfectly and delicious. I LOVE the burger salad. When you aren't in the mood for a burger try the chicken taco for a tasty, lighter dinner. The service can vary quite a bit but overall is just fine.Special Features:
- Contender for best burgerWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 6/18/2014It's loud, it's crowded, but boy the burgers are worthwhile--juicy, delicious. Lots of other options on the menu as well, but stay with what they do best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good burger placelovesnycresturants485VIPDined on 6/11/2014Just what you would expect from a burger place. Good food and service. They also have entree salads, a kids menu, and crayons for kids to keep them entertained.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Napkin Never again!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/4/2014If you like smelling like a greasy burger when you leave then by all means go and treat yourself to an over priced lunch with a side of bad service at 5 Napkin Burger. I will not be back!
- Amazing burger joint!Marie61Dined on 6/1/2014I decided to have my 19th birthday dinner here and I was so glad I chose this place. The service is fantastic and the juicy, tasty burgers never miss. I found the prices fair and I love the original 5 napkin burger - the aioli is just so delicious.Special Features:
- Weekly ritualDmanVIPDined on 5/30/2014My son and I come here practically every week. We love it - something we look forward to. Great menu for kids and parents alike. Family friendly, but not a kids restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2014Food was not worthy of being in Zagat. My friend and I went there with high expectations but were severely disappointed in the quality of both the classic hamburger and the hamburger salad. We have had far better versions of these dishes in dozens of other restaurants in New York, other places in the US, in Mexico, and even Asia. We are greatly puzzled about such a mediocre restaurant could gain such high standing with your organization and with Zagat.
- GOOD FOOD /BAD MUSICchinaboyDined on 5/26/2014I have eaten lunch at the West 84th Street FIVE NAPKIN BURGER a number of times and went there for the first time went there for dinner with three friends two nights ago. Everthing was fine, the food was quite good, the waiter Elliot was really terrific, friendly, helpful, and professional, but the sound level and the quality of the music was dreadful. Why do you people think your customers want to have to shout to make themselves heard when talking to their dining companions? This loud and unpleasant music is disengenuous and extremely irritating. My thinking is that you play it loudly to intentionally ANNOY the customers so that they don't stay too long thus giving you a higher table turnover.Special Features:
- Ordinary Burger One NapkinsaintmaeVIPDined on 5/26/2014Wanted to try this place since so many people have, but probably won't go back. The Bloody Mary's at the bar were delicious, but once at the table outside the service was slow and everyone's burgers were just nothing to rave about. I ordered the sushi platter for the table and it never arrived.
- Burger SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2014The burger salad is remarkable. Even without bun and ketchup the burger was delicious. It was cooked to order and went so well with the greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 631 reviews are from the 5 Napkin Burger - Upper West Side reviews archive.
- Higher better waitersTakeitupanotchDined on 5/25/2014Yes it was one hour before closing but at least bring us water and the utensils we need to eat. Waiters and host lounging around, laying down on on the seats.Special Features:
- Expected moreVeggie36Dined on 5/16/2014I was told 5 Napkins had the best burgers in town. The veggie burger was the best I ever had, but otherwise the experience was disappointing. Noisy. Slow service. No one came back to check on things. 5 of us at the table and we were given only 4 sets of cutlery/napkin. We sat with the remains of our dinner, not eating, for 25 minutes and truly began to believe our waiter had forgotton about us and finished her shift. We finally spotted her and asked for the check. $130 seems steep for 5 burgers, 2 glasses of wine & a beer. We didnt even have appetizers or dessert. They never came back to ask us if we wanted dessert!Special Features:
- Great food!MiladyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Great food, my daughter had the lobster sliders which were fantastic. My husband had the Mahi burger but the best thing of all was my Kofta lamb burger. It was absolutely delicious. I will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/30/2014As usual: good, greasy burgers, decent beer on draft, and terrible service.
- Better off elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/29/2014Service was the worst I've had since living in east village. Burger was ok. Fries ok. Wine and beer were best parts of menu. Would have liked to try salad but it never came despite asking three times.Special Features:
- Good EatsbigdaddyDined on 4/27/2014The food was quite delicious. the seating could have been better as our table was right near the stairs for the restroom.Special Features:
- 5 NapkinsAnneVIPDined on 4/25/2014First timers at this Upper West Side gem. We walked past it hundreds of times, and always remarked that it was crowded. So, everyone needs a good burger every now and then, and this place does not disappoint. Burger, drinks and sweet potato fries- yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.