5 Napkin Burger - Union Square
150 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
BurgersPrice: $30 and under
5 Napkin Burger - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.5napkinburger.com/
- Phone: 2122285500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 12:00am; Friday: 11:30am - 1:00am; Saturday: 11:00am - 1:00pm; Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 5 Napkin Burger - Union Square
5 Napkin Burger is an upscale restaurant devoted to the art of the hamburger. The signature is 10 oz of fresh ground chuck topped with rosemary aioli, caramelized onions and melted gruyere on a soft white roll. The full burger lineup includes the all-American Bacon Cheddar, Italian Turkey, Avocado Ranch, Veggie, Lamb, Tuna, Inside Out, even a Burger Salad. While the burgers may be the headliners, the diverse menu of expertly prepared American classics entice foodies to come back nightly. 5 Napkin is the rare burger restaurant where vegetarians and carnivores are equally at home. Additional temptations include Matzo Ball Soup, Chicken & Waffles and Steak Churrasco. The 5 Napkin beverage programs showcases a global selection of 40 wines and 50 beers, 15 signature cocktails, 20 bourbons and a host of decadent milk shakes and floats – all a perfect complement to the cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
5 Napkin Burger - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (28)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (24)kid-friendly (19)fit for foodies (17)great for brunch (14)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (2)special occasion (1)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Everything too notchDRFieldsDined on 9/13/2014Great burgers, sushi is also amazing! Wonderful wine list, perfect place for an easy dinner out with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great Tasting BurgersGailDined on 9/12/2014A place known for its Burgers should have consistently great meat, and this place does. On this visit my friend and I both had the special "BLT" Burger with thick cut bacon. The Bacon and, especially, the ripe red tomato were excellent but most importantly, the beef was juicy and flavorful. I like that they can get a slight crisp on the pattie's exterior while still cooking it to medium temperature. Also very friendly and prompt service. Cheddar Tots are recommended as well!Special Features:
- FryfanaticDined on 9/4/2014This was my second experience at Five Napkin Burger, though my first at the Union Square location. Great location, spacious, great service. The waitress convinced me to get the special burger and it was delicious. My cocktail was well made and I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with my friends at this location. Bacon on a burger? How can you go wrong. And the skinny fries are a perfect match the well portioned burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menuBubblesDined on 8/31/2014The waiter was very pleasant and helpful in recommending dishes. I would return and try another recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good burgersJayEllarVIPDined on 8/28/2014Five Napkins Union Square is the same dependable eatery it has always been since day one. Whether it is brunch or a quick dinner before being home, this place has always come through. I highly recommend either the classic or the original burgers with the sweet potato fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice burger but nothing specialNYlover1984Dined on 8/20/2014nice burger but nothing special. Our waiter was really impatient because he couldn't hear due to the loud music in the restaurant.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014It took awhile for the waitress to get drinks (water) for our table but when she did she was good. She knew a lot about the different draft beers there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelyYummiliciousDined on 8/1/2014My niece asked to come here for her birthday dinner. It was a Friday after work so it was rather boisterous and the sound was cacophonous. We got the booth I'd requested and I believe if we hadn't we might not have been able to hear each other at all. As it was the four of us had to really work on hearing each other. The food was good though I was not in the mood for my usual Veggie Burger and ordered sushi. It was tasty but really small. Everyone else said they enjoyed the food and I thought our waiter was great.Special Features:
- Good burgersNSIMDined on 7/29/2014We were a group of 8. We had some cocktails, appetizers and burgers, all of which were great. Everyone enjoyed their food and the service was very good as well. Overall, the quality food, service and good drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgers2ChainzVIPDined on 7/22/2014Burger was delicious. Loved the beer choices as well; I went with an Alphabet City. Appetizers took a while to come but food was great.Special Features:
- Excellent burgers and then some...food4thoughtDined on 7/19/20145 Napkin has really great burgers! In addition to their regular menu, they have burger specials throughout the year (including an Octoberfest themed burger which has lots of similar spices to German food, like bratwurst and sauerbraten). There are a couple of locations, but we've only been to the Union Square one. This location isn't very large and remains fairly packed throughout the night, especially weekends; so if possible, a reservation is best. The burgers are all juicy and well seasoned. Don't have a favorite because they're all quite good. The onion rings are really, really good. Appetizers aren't bad either, with potato skins and pastrami being our faves. They have a small, but usually very packed bar with happy hour specials too.Special Features:
- MehJuanValdezVIPDined on 7/19/2014I had heard great things, but it didn't live up. For the premium price on this burger, there are better options.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014this location pales in comparison to the hell's kitchen and uws locations. smaller burgers, smaller apps. overcooked. disappointing.
- just too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/1/2014we ate quickly and left. We had seats in a booth and still we could barely hear each other. Maybe that is their goal, keep the noise level high and they will eat up quickly and leave.
- kiki8VIPDined on 7/1/2014Great casual burger spot! The burgers are my all time favorite. Definitely a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid lunch spotBMo22Dined on 7/1/2014One of my favorite places for a sit down lunch during the work week. The grilled Mahi Mahi sandwich is excellent and the burgers I'm told are equally tasty.Special Features:
- Good. really loud. Good selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014The food is tasty though and the selection is much more varied than I knewSpecial Features:
- Vibrant Burger SpotAcoustickittyDined on 6/21/2014Great for salads, too. Love the coffee!!! All around can't be beat.Special Features:
- Best burger in townFuriousgeorgeDined on 6/16/2014A must for each visit to NYC. Without a doubt the best burger in town. The only problem is choosing between the original & all the other great options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BklynravenDined on 6/15/2014Took my dad here for Father's day for lunch thinking he would go for a nice juicy burger but was disappointed. The house burger was dry and over cooked. I ordered what was advertised as a prime rib burger but got two dry patties that did not resemble a prime rib. The drinks were good, they had a large selection of beer/wine and the onion rings were hot and crispy. All in all though nothing to write home about
- awesome!foodiemomof2Dined on 6/14/2014If you want a fun great burger or cocktail in NYC, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJudyVIPDined on 6/10/2014We had the month special short rib burger and the spinach and artichoke dip. The waiter advised we order extra crostini but it really wasn't necessary. Enough came with the dish. The burger came perfectly done as we asked for medium rare. I think we spent 30 minutes all together in the restaurant which worked for us BC we had a long drive ahead. Would definitely go back! It was our second time there and both times it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SpotPeacockDined on 5/31/2014I had the avocado ranch burger and it was great. The service was very good and I plan to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mix experienceLobsterSaladDined on 5/25/2014I had better food and service at other 5napkin restaurants. This time the service was bad and the wings overdone. Just the burger was 5napkins quality as I know it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 238 reviews are from the 5 Napkin Burger - Union Square reviews archive.
- Disappointed!dinnerloverDined on 5/18/2014I was looking forward to visiting this place on a recent trip to NYC. I wasn't the least bit impressed. There's not a thing that makes it special or unique. The food was just okay...I would not recommend this to anyone. I HAD to check one of the above selections if I wanted to submit this review. Disregard the fact I checked anything at all.Special Features:
- Mother's DayYogiDined on 5/11/2014Had a great Veggie burger with sweet potatoe fries. Had a shake for desert and loved it. I have been to 45 st and now 14 street both locations were were great.Special Features:
- 5 Napkin BugerBobLVIPDined on 5/7/2014I have previously reviewed this location. Great after work, large groups that get loud. Food is fine for burgers etc.... Waiter service the other night was spotty.Special Features:
- KatiriaVIPDined on 5/6/2014server was nice, food was good, but drink was so bad. i ordered a dark and story...it was not dark or stormy. It looked and tasted like it was only ginger beer and ice. The color was that of ginger ale. that was disappointing. What was also disappointing is that I had a reservation but when we were being taken to the table, I noticed that there was a tall open table by the bar. i asked if we could sit there instead and I was told that it has to be a 3 top. I looked around at the other high tables and noticed that there was a table with 2 people. I asked again and mentioned the two people at one of those tables and she said she couldn't give it to us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014All the Burgers are good - I've had the Mushroom Blue, the Five Napkin, , The ahi - tuna, the Veggie, but this time I tried the lobster slders - they were good.Special Features:
- It is a good burger.SourceressDined on 4/27/2014I took my parents because they asked for a place that, "I wouldn't go without them" Aka, it's out of my price range but truly a great burger. I am not a vegetarian but I went with the veggie burger and it was pretty incredible.Special Features:
- Lazy, careless, rude.GregorySVIPDined on 4/27/2014Nothing ruins really good food like bad service. We'd been saving calories for weeks for a big burger splurge during our NYC weekend. We'd been very happy with 5Napkins midtown location on previous trips and expected more of the same here, but no. After sitting ignored for awhile, we had to ask the hostess to find our server. Her response was to walk away. Server appeared, but honestly, she's so bored with her job I half expected her fall asleep. Lazy and slow. Cocktails were good, food was great. But hard to focus on that when your server leaning on the bar while your water glass is empty. Then we got to hear the server in the next station arguing with his customer and actually yelling back at him from across the dining room. Charming.
- Great burgers, huge portionsluv2eatDined on 4/25/20145 Napkin burger has a large selection of burgers, entrees, bar style appetizers and desserts in huge portions which are not cheap but reason- able given the quality and size of portions. I started with the delicious chicken noodle/matzoh ball soup and then went on to the bacon/cheddar burger which I ordered well done and which was brought to my table in a matter of minutes. It was full of flavor and not at all overcooked which often happens with orders that are requested well-done. The burger also came with lettuce, tomato and a tasty bowl of fries and I washed it all down with a Sam Adams. For dessert I had the cheesecake which was very good but no different than usual. Terrific service, but huge portions - select accordingly.Special Features:
- Hot and SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/22/2014Food was very enjoyable and the hostess was welcoming. Our party just couldn't understand why the restaurant was so stuffy and the service was slow. Our waitress disappeared after presenting the menus and water, but came back multiple times for the check we hadn't even opened yet. We had to ask her multiple times for a second set of utensils and ended up stopping a random bus boy for one when it appeared that we would have to eat our appetizers with our bare hands. But all in all we would return, food trumps service and everyone is entitled to an off day!
- Serve YourselfOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/21/2014I've been here many times and the burgers are delicious - good size, seasoned well, tasty sauces and cooked to the right temperature. However, on this occasion, the service was really poor. We had to request a different table despite the fact that the hostess can see that there was one person left standing without a seat nor place setting. Our waiter was nice but flustered and ineffective. To top it off, the person who served the food was clueless as to where each dish should go and had no manners. When I told him that it wasn't my order, he still insisted on passing me the dish thereby making it my problem to figure out who to give it to. He did it with the entrees too and when I refused to take the dish, he got argumentative?!Special Features:
- Controlled EnergyDragonkillerDined on 4/16/2014Vibrant restaurant with great food. Friends had the Original 5 Napkin Burger and the Tuna Burger and loved them. I had the Mahi Tacos, which were really good, as well. the restaurant filled up pretty quickly...I had 6:00 PM reservations and it was packed by 6:30-7:00. The noise level picked up and it was hard to hear each other talk and you wouldn't even know they had music playing. All in all, it was a pretty good place to hang out and grab a bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the moneyexpectgoodserviceDined on 4/14/2014Didn't rate the experience. Over priced, portion size not great service not up to normal U.S std wouldn't go back there are loads of places better than this in new York. Really disappointed.
- Hamburger-chain sandwichesNicknameVIPDined on 4/1/2014Hamburger-chain sandwiches with many choices of beer. A lively, efficient refueling stop, not a lot more.
- Place feels like a sub-urbanNYLocal4VIPDined on 3/29/2014Place feels like a sub-urban chain. Poor quality of food and service.
- Love 5 Napkin Burger!hollyhockDined on 3/28/2014This is one of our regular places to go. Of the three locations in Manhattan this is our favorite. Just seems more consistent than the other two. Great food, great staff, always good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Napkin BugerBobLVIPDined on 3/26/2014I have reviewed this location previously & recommend it. All locations are a bit noisy w/ loud music & this particular one seems to be geared to 25-25 year old groups. Food is very good, w/ quick service. Burgers, chicken & soup etc are all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.