5 Napkin Burger - Boston
105 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02189Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
5 Napkin Burger - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://5napkinburger.com/
- Phone: (617) 375-2277
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 5 Napkin Burger - Boston
5 Napkin Burger is an upscale restaurant devoted to the art of the hamburger. The signature is 10 oz of fresh ground chuck topped with rosemary aioli, caramelized onions and melted gruyere on a soft white roll. The full burger lineup includes the all-American Bacon Cheddar, Italian Turkey, Avocado Ranch, Veggie, Lamb, Tuna, Inside Out, even a Burger Salad. While the burgers may be the headliners, the diverse menu of expertly prepared American classics entice foodies to come back nightly. 5 Napkin is the rare burger restaurant where vegetarians and carnivores are equally at home. Additional temptations include Matzo Ball Soup, Chicken & Waffles and Steak Churrasco. The 5 Napkin beverage programs showcases a global selection of 40 wines and 50 beers, 15 signature cocktails, 20 bourbons and a host of decadent milk shakes and floats – all a perfect complement to the cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
5 Napkin Burger - Boston - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
5 Napkin Burger - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (16)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (8)great for outdoor dining (6)fit for foodies (6)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Another Burger JointNewburyportFoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2013Dressed up a little, this is nothing more than your typical Burger Joint. Would rather have gone to 5 Guys and had a better Burger than 5 Napkins. Service was slow, salad was forgettable and Turkey burgers very dry. The House Burger has something spread on it (I ordered no cheese) and I couldn't tell you what it was, but definitely avoid it! If you are at the Prudential Center and you have nowhere else to go and you want a simple Burger and a Beer, then go. Otherwise. avoid.Special Features:
- waiter poorjeanneDined on 10/26/2013The staff was very attentive when we came in to sit down. The waiter took our order, brought our food after awhile that was it. Never came back....tried to get water and order drinks but could not get his attention.Special Features:
- Great burgers, great beer listMattDined on 10/19/20135 Napkin is known for their burgers and they are always a pleaser. Their beer list is also impressive, with some good choices on tap. My waiter was a little slow on refills but overall nothing was out of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger Blast!DuffManDined on 10/14/2013The wife & I had a great experience. The food was very good, the waitress did a good job (though did disappear a little towards the end of our meal) and the ambiance was a retro-surprise (spoiler alert... old school meat packing plant). The drinks were very good and I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A huge dissappointment!GIgiVIPDined on 10/12/2013Too noisy! So loud you couldnt have conversation. Food service was slow. When food arrived, bus person handed us plates without warning they were hot. We both burned our fingers. Check was wrong; we were charged for wrong food. And most importantly, burgers were mediocre. Not a great experience.
- Reading their website youAwfulDined on 10/12/2013Reading their website you would think you found a great burger place. Far from it! Not one burger at our table was cooked correctly. I work in the restaurant field and I was shocked that a burger place does not know the difference from med-rare, med and med well. Each burger was rare. We ordered apps and we never received side dishes. The ketchup bottle was so sticky I would not touch it .Special Features:
- our adult burgers were cookedrebeccaiVIPDined on 10/12/2013our adult burgers were cooked perfectly but our kids' burgers were overcooked. we asked for them medium and they were well done - dry and needed lots of ketchup to eat. we all loved the sweet potato fries and the milk shakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Before the BSO or BerhleeTupac3VIPDined on 10/10/2013Decent tuna burgers, the soggiest fries I've had in years, two cocktails, and one draft beer for $77 for two people. Happy that they're in Boston and better than the competition at this price point. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing great. Ok.FatRat250VIPDined on 10/2/2013Appetizer was stone cold - burger was cooked as requested but nothing spectacular. Service was lousy. I ate at 9:30pm, no one at the host stand. Waitress had only me, and yet if was difficult to get. Refill or her attention.
- Awesome burgers!BurgerDined on 9/27/2013I have eaten a lot of burgers from a lot of places and 5 napkin I would place in the top 3. I live in Boston suburbs and this place worth the drive in. Waiter was great. Only downside was a hostess I would describe as not very pleasant. Won't go into details because I really liked the food and would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Good Burgers - Great ServiceedlaffDined on 9/26/2013I had the mushroom, blue cheese burger which was cooked perfect and was flavorfull. The sweet potato fries were crispy and tasty but not as good as the barbecue fries. The onion rings were crusted with Panko breadcrumbs and were good, there could have been a few more for the price. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive serviceNeighborhoodfanDined on 9/15/2013I ate dinner at this restaurant on Patriots Day, 2013, and was there when the police requested that people shelter in place. The staff was so accommodating and comforting, especially to the many marathon runners who were there without a change of clothes. They found blankets and other things for them, and made sure we had everything we needed. While that was certainly an unusual event, I have found the service to be equally attentive despite a very busy restaurant. The variety of food is quite unusual for a burger place, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Napkin BurgerbugerrloverDined on 9/14/2013Good service, great burgers and pretty decent craft beer selection!Special Features:
- This place was insanefoodisokayiguessDined on 9/5/2013-ly adequate. they had good burgers, but not really worth the price. so, yeah..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experienceEricVIPDined on 8/22/2013This was not my first time, I like 5 napkin The service was in attentive; my food arrived lukewarm, and when I asked for condiments they never arrived so I had to go get. My own. So it was a less than acceptable experience, which I'll assume was an aberrationI would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerFoodieDined on 8/17/2013This place has good food and drinks, a convenient location and easily accommodated our larger group of 12 -- we'll definitely consider going back for future dinners. It's not surprise that this place has a lot of good choices for a burger-lover. That being said, I ordered the goat cheese salad and it was delicious! Also delicious were the drinks -- they have your standard beer and wine offerings, but lots of fun and tasty cocktails to choose from too.Special Features:
- Florida travelerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2013Great place especially if you like gourmet burgers and home-made milkshakes. Also good choice of beer and wine. Great service and ambiance.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2013I have been to 5 Napkin a few times now as it was our go to burger place close to our apartment. Unfortunately, I will not be going back anytime soon. My wife and I weren't to hungry so we decided to split a cheese burger, medium, and get a second order of fries. The burger came well done, with pickles (we ordered all toppings on the side), and our second order of fries never came. We had to ask three times for a glass for our friend's beer. Overall very disappointing for an expensive burger place. I guess we'll try the new 5 Guy Burger place over on Huntington.
- Good but average burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2013For a burger place, I expected amazing burgers, but these were ok although just average.
- Just MehOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2013I agree with most of the other reviews that there is nothing special about this place. For some reason, I was expecting to have the best burger of my life and that just didn't happen. The service was great, everything was on time and our server was very nice. It's just...when I got my burger it barely had any cheese on it and the roll was hard and tasteless. It should be more exciting...like every burger comes with an array of different/unique condiments or something. If you are from out of town or want to show a friend a fun place, I'd skip this restaurant.Special Features:
- Girls BrunchhappyfatkidDined on 8/4/2013Went to Brunch with a friend. We got outdoor seating. It was a beautiful sunday afternoon in the City of Boston. The dinners in the outdoor area were quit but the ciry was bustling around us on such a glorious day. The services was great! And as always the food was comforting. And best of all the prices were affordable for downwtown dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our first visit. WillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013Enjoyed our first visit. Will definitely go back again. Food was good, presentation was good, and the staff was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleScottDined on 7/31/2013I had the lamb/ground beef burger. $15.00 for one of the worst burgers I've ever had. Don't be fooled by pictures on the website. The buns were awful as well. Almost stale like.Special Features:
- Great Staff!!!delishglutfreeDined on 7/27/2013Staff was super friendly and knew about gluten free issues. They had delicious gluten free buns and French fries! Thank you for a great dining experience!!! Great Tito's wet martini!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great4CanucksVIPDined on 7/24/2013Given the restaurant's name and prices, we were hoping for a WOW experience but were disappointed. The food, service and atmosphere were good but just not great. The menu goes beyond just burgers and should cater to someone who wants something beyond a burger. The potato skins were quite good though so give them a try! We will probably go back but not necessarily go out of our way to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for burgersnjgalinwtVIPDined on 7/20/2013We love 5 Napkin's. The service is good and so are the burgers. If you are looking for a simple meal with good comfort food, this is it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downJakeBostonDined on 7/13/2013I had high hopes for this place, but the food was a major letdown. At nearly $20 a burger you'd expect some top quality ingredients, but that was not the case. The burger patty was dry and seriously over cooked, I ordered it medium. The fries are exactly the same as McDonald's, come to think of it so was the beef patty. The server was very nice and quick, but I'd skip this spot and go to either Four Burgers or Boston Burger Company.Special Features:
- It was more the waiter thatCatMomVIPDined on 7/6/2013It was more the waiter that was the issue -- he could not keep the order straight and constantly came back to us to check what we wanted (and not many people were dining). He was to place the order for my husband's burger as well as mine to be cooked exactly te same -- pink / med rare. My husband enjoyed his burger (pink) and mine was extremely over-cooked. I should have sent it back but the waiter wasn't very attentive so I just "sucked" it up -- and probably will not return to any 5 Napkin Burger as there are lots of other burger "joints" to explore.
- Great find!MbigdadoDined on 7/4/2013You won't be sorry for your choice. Plenty of variety and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service per kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2013The restaurant was not full - busy, but not full. There were 3 in our party and we ordered simple meals -- burgers. It took about 40 minutes to get our food. The server never came by to let us know what the delay was and when we asked she pointed out there was a large party they served (looked to us about 12 people). Since the restaurant wasn't full, a party of 12 should not have delayed the order time for our meal. The burgers were hot and the fries were cold so those plates must have been sitting there for that portion. Everything else was okay. The blackened mahi burger was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 on 5 Napkin BurgerNomNomNomDined on 6/28/20131. Lamb Kofta burger cooked medium was delicious, subbed the crispy fries with sweet potato fries and they were also delicious 2.Drink menu was interesting and the classic old fashioned was very good. Hubby liked the beer selection 3.Not that juicy for a place named 5 Napkin Burger - not dry but I expected more. If you eat your burgers medium well or well done you may get something closer to a hockey puck on a bun with the sauce / condiment providing the "juiciness" 4. Pricey - the Lamb Kofta was 15.95. You can get a really good burger at Tasty Burger for 1/2 the price 5, If you are in the area give it a try - I would not make a special trip to dine here. A solid average food experience
- Great burgers.. awesome workers..kmfdDined on 6/15/2013Great burgers.. awesome workers.. loved the DiabloAgave drink. would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No a good night.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2013We when There so Happy to try the place, we got a nice table we order a drinks and when are waitress comeback he spilled the beer on my boyfriend all over from his head to my new shoes, I couldn't believe my eyes. are night end right there. the waitress apology to us like 100 times my boyfriend keed his cool and try to get the best out. I was sorprise. we stay for dinner after that. The manager come over he was very rude he only ask. is everything Ok?. hello? nothing is okey are night is ruin nothing was Ok. My boyfriend told him after this are dinner is FREE no question ASk. he just said Ok. are waitress was great even know what he did. food was no bad. but after dinner WE when back home, we couldn't go dancing the way we planned.
- Great burgers and decent calamariOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/7/2013Bring your appetite as the burgers are large and fries are perfectly crispy. The calamari was good not memorable but the plate was empty by the time our burgers arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2013My sisters and I were headed to see the Boston Pops perform. Our dinner reservation was for 6:30, but as soon as we got on 93, we realized we were definitely not going to make that. We called 5N and they kindly pushed it back for us. We didn't get there until 7:10/7:15 or so and they weren't upset at all that we had just made it. We told the hostess we needed to be done by 7:45 in order to make it to Symphony Hall and our waiter kindly had us out of there in a half hour! The food was great and the service was as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2013Awesome cocktail menu; burgers were cooked perfectly and arrived very quickly. The food was exceptional and our waitress was very attentive and totally adorable. Love that this location has the look and feel of the Astoria/Manhattan locations, without the overcrowded atmosphere. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2013We thought the burgers would be Spectacular and to our dismay they were average.Special Features:
- Predictable but fineCsbgVIPDined on 5/24/2013The burgers here are good, if not exceptional. The onion rings are very good. Homemade pickles are excellent. The wines by the glass could use an overhaul, and the bar is substandard. But we can always get in, and the food is predictable, so we will probably keep coming when we want a quick meal that's not fast food.
- Don't waste your moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/22/2013$15 for a burger with no real flavor and five onion rings! Give me a break!
- Good for feeding hungry boyscookiegirlDined on 5/3/2013We took our college student son and some of his friends here for dinner. It was a good choice with large portions and uncomplicated food.Special Features: