5 and Diamond
2072 Frederick Douglass Blvd
New York, NY 10026Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
5 and Diamond
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.5anddiamondrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6466844662
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: David Martinez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Upon Request
- Special Events: Upon Request
A word from 5 and Diamond
5 & Diamond, nestled between Central Park and Columbia University, is a New American restaurant highlighting progressive techniques and flavors, and a quality-driven menu. Whether it’s a tasting menu and sophisticated wine pairing or a seat at the full bar for a hip cocktail and burger, diners will find both experiences at 5 & Diamond. On Saturday and Sunday, guests are treated to a casual but hearty brunch menu with traditional griddle cakes and eggs. Menus change frequently to showcase fresh products and twists on seasonal American favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
5 and Diamond reviews from OpenTable diners
- Brunch was awesome. I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2013Brunch was awesome. I had the veggie scramble and the veggies were awesome as were the potatoes it came with.Special Features:
- HARLEM DESERVES BETTER.NynixiiiDined on 1/27/2013Took my wife there for a birthday brunch on 1/27/13. The place is tiny and had very little heat. It would have warmed up but the staff kept going outside to get to the basement. The waitstaff seemed very disinterested and would disappear for long periods of time. My wife had the Chicken and Waffles. The chicken was ok once you got past the burnt parts, but the waffle must have been cooked in the microwave. It was chewy and not good at all. I had the breafast burrito which had powdered eggs in it.
- The restaurant is in a newlyThellistDined on 1/26/2013The restaurant is in a newly gentrified part of Harlem, so it's great to be able to get a downtown -like restaurant uptown. The food is good, the service was good. The restaurant was cold. They definitely need to work on appropriate heating for the dining room, and they need art on the walls. My friend and I ordered the chicken & waffles which was good, but the 2 pcs of chicken were way too big. My friend and I were able to only eat one piece of chicken each. Suggestion is to offer chicken wings or at least 1 pc of chicken & thicker waffles already cut into quadrants. I'll be back :)Special Features:
- Delightful!acswiftVIPDined on 1/19/2013Great service, great selection, terrific ambiance and delicious food at this wonderful little restaurant. My burger was cooked to perfection and the Mac and Cheese was exciting with little bits of Chorizo.Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/6/2013The service was slow. I had to wait ten minutes for a menu. We ordered drinks,food, and coffee. The coffee never got delivered yet we were billed for it and it took a long time to get it taken off the bill. The food was great but the service needs improvement. I know it took along time to get our menus while for others got them instantly.Special Features:
- The restaurant and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/5/2013The restaurant and service were good. However, the table they sat us was close to the door, so whenever the door was opened, we felt the cold air. I ordered the shrimp and grits, it was lukewarm, it could have been warmer, it was good. They ran out of champagne for mimosa. I would visit it again, I would request a different seat. I understand, the reservations were for 6 people, it was just a little cold.
- Pull up your socks 5 & DiamondOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2012While I have enjoyed this restaurant in the past, I had a particularly bad experience this time around. Only a third of the menu was even available for selection and the steak I ordered was very disappointing. I made my displeasure known and received a litany of excuses. Given it is one of the few venues that has showed potential in the neighbourhood I fervently hope that attempts will be made by the owner and manager to improve on this hugely disappointing experience.
- Went with my daughter early...soPeterVIPDined on 9/27/2012Went with my daughter early...so that we could take advantage of the 5 at 5 promotion they advertize on their website. They only had 2 of the 8 or so items available. So ended up ordering full price portions for most of my tapas. The bill came to $80 for me and my 3 yo daughter. Overpriced for what I got. Bone marrow was good, chorizo homemade was very good. Pulpo - was fishy and not at all appetizing. Also, no wine available. I live in the neighborhood...but probably wouldn't go back...this is probably more of a 'night' time place.
- Birthday DinnerleeadannaDined on 9/16/2012I arrived for my party of six invitation an HOUR late and the maitre d Joe was so pleasant and gracious. He was so sweet to us and was extra especially sweet to my bf, whose birthday we were celebrating. I absolutely loped every dish we had. And as usual the mas and cheese was EXCEPTIONAL! And on top pf that, they kept the restaurant open an HOUR later because with all our talking and catching up we just couldn't leave lol! Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- Pleasant and relaxing atmosphere.CricketDined on 8/22/2012Pleasant and relaxing atmosphere. Service was delightful and attentive without being intrusive. The food is delicious, but the portion sizes are very small. Reasonable value for the money.Special Features:
- Pleasant and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2012Food is simple, straight forward and pleasant. Service helpful, friendly and competent. Very few diners on a Saturday evening in August. However, staff were engaged and attentive.Special Features:
- Good for the nabe. They seemedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2012Good for the nabe. They seemed a little overwhelmed at brunch.
- Brunch and Sangria!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/4/2012Had bruch with another couple on a Saturday afternoon. There was one other table seated when we arrived, by the time we left, 3 or 4 more. Definitely not a crowded place. I think it would be a great place to go to with 4-6 people and feel like you are 'at home.' Service was pleasant and attentive, however my dish took significantly longer to be served. The other 3 meals were served and our server even came over to check on us and I still didn't have my meal. Drinks were fantastic and once my meal arrived, I really enjoyed it!Special Features:
- The only negative was thatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2012The only negative was that we did all-you-can-drink for an hour, and they never told us when the "last call" was, so when we went to get another drink, they were just going to charge us additionally for it without telling us. We only found out when we specifically asked to check. Food was AMAZING though.Special Features:
- A must go!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2012Found this restaurant on EaterNY. It was a great find. Went for the monday wing and m-n-c special. Everything was wonderful especially the coctails! I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- dinner menue to limited, choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012dinner menue to limited, choices very limited, there on a fri evening. had parpadillie(sp) beans were not cooked thoroughly, el dente is ok but not for navy beans!!
- Don't go Monday nights. MenuJamacaVIPDined on 7/16/2012Don't go Monday nights. Menu much different and v disappointing.
- One wants to like this place.jledetVIPDined on 7/15/2012One wants to like this place. And the food is yummy. But honestly: if they can't get their staff motivated, why should we be?Special Features:
- Skip the brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2012On my first visit during lunch I had the most delicious grilled cheese sandwich and soup, so I was excited to bring a guest to Sunday brunch. Unfortunately the kitchen and servers were not prepared for Sunday brunch. The meals ordered by my guest and me arrived 20 minutes apart with no explanation. One order was missing both the home fries (French fries were offered but not delivered) and the bread. Even though we did not receive the toast with the meal we were charged for a side order of biscuits which we ordered but arrived over cooked. Something seemed off as if the chef was not present and the staff were just trying to keep things going. The brunch experience was extremely disappointing.
- Growing PainsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2012Great idea. Still working out the kinks. My steak in my steak and eggs was pitifully tiny--half the size of my palm. The wait times are long. With a few tweaks, this will be a great go-to spot. I will try them again in a few months.
- THE FRIED CHICKEN AND WAFFLESLindaDined on 7/14/2012THE FRIED CHICKEN AND WAFFLES WERE A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. THE CHICKEN WAS RIDICULOUSLY OVERCOOKED,TOUGH AND VERY LARGE. VERY UNPLEASANT DISH. I HAD TO CHANGE IT BECAUSE IT WAS THAT BAD. WENT THERE BASE ON RECOMMENDATIONS. THE SERVICE WAS VERY NICE HOWEVER.
- I love this restaurant, butJGSHDined on 7/8/2012I love this restaurant, but the food should be better. I like the ambiance, but one server is not enough.
- Food is very good, but itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2012Food is very good, but it takes too long to come and the portions are very small.Special Features:
- Great food despite the noiseChantboyVIPDined on 6/27/2012Recommended with one reservation: they need to turn down the music, mostly hip-hop and R&B which are completely out of synch with the rest of the ambiance of the place. The food is superb! Perfectly seared diver scallops floating on a heavenly bed of brown butter sabayon to start, the bacon wrapped noisettes of heritage pork on a super flavorful foundation of exotic mushrooms. I would definitely go back for the food - and ask them to turn down the "music".Special Features:
- The chef, Charlie, is creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2012The chef, Charlie, is creative and concerned with the experience. The wait staff - first day - untrained and unaware. Not good. The food made up for the service.Special Features:
- Delicious food... etherealUWSmomVIPDined on 6/20/2012Delicious food... ethereal olive oil poached cod, vegetables bursting with flavor from the farmer's market. Service was poor to the point of being comedic but maybe they were having an off night. I'd certainly return, despite service, because food was so good.Special Features:
- Had a fathers day brunch withOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/17/2012Had a fathers day brunch with a party of 9 adults and 3 kids. Overall we had a good time, though service was slow. 1/2 of our table received their meals 10-15 mins after the others. We are sure our food went to another table. They were apologetic but it was annoying. This place has potential as long as the kitchen timing issues are worked out. The brandy cocktail was great. We are willing to try again.Special Features:
- The weather was nice enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/17/2012The weather was nice enough to have some tables outside and the window/doors left open, but they had the basement door open as well and the stench that wafted into the retaurant was unbearable.
- Really nice food and greatFoodloverDined on 6/15/2012Really nice food and great vibe. Love that the music wasn't loud, so we could have a normal conversation. The waiter/host was very friendly and knew a lot about the food and wine that were served at the restaurant, however the serving staff seemed a little inexperienced.Special Features:
- Great place to impress your Boss!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2012I have a well developed palate, and a deep sense of hospitality,,,,I have been at this restaurant twice in the last 2 weeks, for dinner, and both times it has been an extraordinary experience for my guests as well as my my wife and I. Highly recommended, great place to impress your boss!!!!Special Features:
- Awesome food!JennDined on 6/2/2012My sister and I LOVED this place!! The food was exceptional! The ambience was also very nice. Can't wait to go back to NY and we will be sure to go back here at least once. Can't say enough about it.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/1/2012We just happened upon 5 and Diamond when looking for a restaurant to go to in Harlem, and of course it's not possible to get a reservation at Red Rooster. The food was fantastic - better than red rooster. The only "complaint" is that the service was super slow, but we were having a good time and the waitress couldn't have been nicer, so that night we didn't really care. We would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- We are always reluctant toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/1/2012We are always reluctant to go back to 5 & Diamond as you never know which restaurant will show up. This time it was the one with the terrific kitchen and the waitress from Mars. Does anyone train their wit staff any more? Sad to have good food demiinished by not being able to have a beverage with it and having to worry throughout the meal that we will not be able tom get our check in a timely fashion as the waitress seems to think she has a cameo roll in the dining room - this with 4 table sot handle.Special Features:
- Loved the ambiance to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/27/2012Loved the ambiance to this place! All of my girlfriends and I had brunch and we are still raving about the experience.Special Features:
- Popular - definitely peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2012Popular - definitely people were enjoying being at 5 and Diamond and many looked like they've been there before. They were COMFORTABLE in the place. Great mac and cheese and mushroom saute appetizers! Service is a bit slow, but it's a relaxed place; not hurrying to make a curtain call for sure, but out to enjoy a good evening!Special Features:
- Just Dreadful!OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/13/2012f I could go with negative stars, or zero stars I would. This place was absolutely terrible. There's not one thing they place did right, other then add up the bill. Food was not plated correctly (leaving off sides), the kitchen is too slow for words. They took all the grilled cheese selections off the menu, although they did have bread and cheese for other dishes. It was an endless wait for the food, and then one of the six orders was lost! The people sitting next to us were told that since the kitchen was closing they could not have the mac and cheese they had ordered at least 20 minutes earlier. I'm rating it as very pricey given how awful the experience was.
- We (my mother, my sister,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012We (my mother, my sister, my brother, and I) enjoyed a really wonderful Brunch on Mother's Day. Two of us ordered the crab cakes and two of us the French Toast, and then we shared the AMAZING bread pudding for dessert. I must also complement the Bourbon Champagne cocktail: Yummy! Our server was friendly and attentive amid the crazy Mother's Day business. I will definitely be back--I hope to bring my mother, too!Special Features:
- Really want to like this placetsmtlDined on 5/13/2012Every time I've ordered the Chicken and Waffles, the chicken has been undercooked. They've also forgotten to serve us food with a party of 6. Really want to like this place, but...
- I could not wait to try thisGYoungDined on 5/12/2012I could not wait to try this restaurant for the first time and now I cannot wait to go back! I saw the restaurant featured on the "Savoring Harlem" special and my curiosity was peaked. I was there with three other people and we all enjoyed our dining experience. A true diamond indeed!Special Features:
- Great food, very sophisticatedChrisDined on 5/3/2012The food was sophisticated, the fish melted in my mouth and the crema catalana was insanely delicious. Will definitely be back.Special Features: