4935 Bar and Kitchen
4935 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
French / IndianPrice: $30 and under
4935 Bar and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.4935barandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3019514935x
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER -Tuesday - Saturday, 4pm to 10pm
HAPPY HOUR - Tuesday - Friday, 4pm to 7pm
LATE NIGHTS - Friday & Saturday 10pm to 3am
Closed Sunday & Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French / Indian, Indian
- Executive Chef: Ashish Alfred
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer special catering menus for all private events, including weddings, Mitzvahs, anniversary or birthday parties, as well as breakfast and lunch menus for business meetings.
Please contact email@example.com for more information or visit our Private Dining page.
- Special Events: The Loft at 4935 is available for private events. We are the perfect venue for weddings, rehearsal dinners, mitzvahs, anniversary and birthday celebrations or any special occasion that requires a unique venue with a fabulous menu.
We are also available for all day meetings and corporate functions.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or visit our Private Dining page.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Road
- Public Transit:
We are located within walking distance from the Bethesda Metro Stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details:
Free parking in public garage on Saturday and Sunday.
Garage is located directly across the street from the restaurant.
Roadside meter parking, also free on Sunday
A word from 4935 Bar and Kitchen
Casual dining with a trendy atmosphere and creative menuContinued
Catering private events to accommodate up to 300 guests
Catering private events to accommodate up to 300 guests
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
4935 Bar and Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
4935 Bar and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (8)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)romantic (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- *Crickets on a Saturday night*saber667Dined on 9/13/2014My fiancée and I visited 4935 Bar and Kitchen on a Saturday evening at 7:30pm, to find a large restaurant with only one other table occupied. We ordered two appetizers, the Tandoori Chicken Tacos (great!) and the Duck Samosas(only so-so). Entrees: Pomegranate Glazed Duck Breast and Tandoori Salmon (fish-of the day). The duck was a large portion size - normally a good thing - but the fat layer was thick and chewy, and it was cut into long strips instead of medallions. The meat also didn't taste quite right, like it was old (perhaps due to lack of customers on a regular basis). My fiancée really liked the salmon, so seems like the food could be hit-or-miss. With so many other options in Bethesda, 4935 seemed overpriced and underwhelming.
- Don't Waste your Time!!HardtoimpressDined on 9/6/2014Place is a ghost town... We were one if two tables on a Saturday night... After waiting over 30 mins for our drinks to arrive we decided to leave. The wait staff was clueless. From playing with there hair to just standing at the bar. I bet they will be out if buisness by the end of yr
- Good food, service needs worklocalfolksDined on 9/5/2014The restaurant is very dark with too few tables for such a large space. The AC was way too cold and the hostess seemed OK with turning it off or up, but the temperature never really got comfortable. The menu is varied, if a bit pricey. The food is creative, especially the use of Indian spices used on, essentially continental fare. We loved the dahl soup, and the beet salad better than most. The timing of service needs work as the entree came out too soon and caused a rush to finish the appetizers. Wine list by the glass was good. The dessert we had was a good, not great, chocolate cake. More choices of desserts would have been appreciated. So try it if you adventurous and don't require refined service and for your own good, bring a sweater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appetizersRobinDined on 8/28/2014Five dahl soup; outstanding. Chicken tacos: outstanding. Nahn: served warm and fresh with seasoning: quite good. Portobello mushroom stuffed with grilled vegetables over quinoa and tandori salmon over lemon risotto; just o.k. Mushroom had little taste, tiny bits of roasted veggies were good, but there weren't many of them, salmon was dry, risotto nice and lemony and very rich. Restaurant filled with conflicting sound from a live gentleman on keyboard, and a recording. Only about 10 patrons were present at the time we were there (a Thursday night just before a holiday weekend). Waitress was very polite and attentive. We'll be back for soup and tacos, and might try other appetizers. Main courses were pricey.Special Features:
- Going on our regular rotationDonnaVVIPDined on 8/16/2014We eat out in Bethesda a lot. 4935 had been around since January and we just got around to trying it, with uncertain expectations. Walking in, a bit put off. Stylish clubby vibe and frankly annoying music. Is this for us? Hang in there, the food is terrific and the presentations elegant. Chef Alfred makes Indian-French fusion work. Every dish succeeded, from shaved asparagus, spinach garbanzo salad, through rockfish, scallops, to pistachio cheesecake and coconut sorbet. The five-dal soup was a totally unexpected pleasure. We were impressed with the overall attention to detail. The music faded into the background. Service was slow, as others have noted, but we will cut some slack due to severe understaffing the night we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodDCerDined on 8/15/2014I was surprised that there were so few people in the restaurant, and even more so after we tried the food. Inspired by indian spices the food was superb, the staff friendly and attentive. I recommend the lamb shank in particularly as it just fell off the bone. The flaming banana pudding was also a delight.Special Features:
- Really, really good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014Went to three restaurants during Restaurant Week. The other two (Grapeseed, up the street, and Ardeo-Bardeo, Cleveland Park) were both fine. But the food at 4935 was fantastic. We each had the best lamb shank ever (melting off the bone, interesting sauce) and shared a great samosa appetizer (crispy goodness in, again, a wonderful sauce, elegantly combining East and West). The spinach salad had a great, interesting dressing that saved it from being mundane. Excellent wine by the glass. We'd like to explore the menu more. The only problem - it's a weird setting: it really feels like a bar, and not in a good way (sort of like eating in a bar after it's closed): too dark, feels like the strobe light will be turned on at any moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2dineDined on 8/12/2014Great food but excruciatingly slow service. Two and a half hours for appetizers and and entrees. And the restaurant wasn't even half full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative Indian + French menuNoBethesdaEaterVIPDined on 8/9/2014very innovative menu the pork wings were almost a meal. All well prepared and delicious! Probably need to go soon as once this is found it will be hard to get into.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bethesda additionOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014Fun menu, fusing French and Indian styles. Lots of great small plates to share, creatively presented. The tandoori taco and the dal soup were particularly good. Service was quick and friendly. Will be back!Special Features:
- Awesome food, generous portions.samyVIPDined on 8/8/2014First time at 4938 7:30 Friday night. Place almost empty. Prompt service and very helpful waitress (?Dyna). We asked about the chef, so he came to chat! Really great food. We had the appetizers: Very tasty naan, excellent, generous portion tandoori chicken tacos (2-per serving), excellent beef sliders (3), awesome pork wings (3), really good Dahl soup. We were so full after this, we did not order a main course. Only distraction was the very loud music from the bar area. Would definitely go back for more food tastings.Special Features:
- Quite tasty!fotolindaDined on 8/2/2014I ordered the duck, my mother ordered the lamb shank. My husband had the sliders and tuna tartare. What a delicious evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalabustaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed the food--Really loved the way Chef Alfred spices his dishes, which is more aggressive than many restaurants around here. I had scallops on spicy jalapeno quinoa. It was excellent. My only concern is that the restaurant was empty on a Saturday night albeit in the summer. I hope others give it a try and he can make a go of it.
- Awesome Food ExperienceOneWeekCloserDined on 7/26/2014This chef is talented and his food is truly unique - something very hard to find these days in Bethesda. I could eat here every day and look forward to returning soon! Don't miss the chance to taste this food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!DDfromDCVIPDined on 7/19/2014We were thoroughly impressed by the food at this new Bethesda restaurant. Very nice decor and ambience, too.Special Features:
- Loved it!EvieDined on 7/12/2014Came for Saturday night dinner and had a great experience. Service was wonderful. Not very crowded. Taco appetizer was delicious! Samosa was tasty but way too small. Cucumber splash was the perfect summer cocktail! We will be back for the live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all goodfoodizgoodDined on 6/27/2014My family (including two teenagers) thoroughly enjoyed our meals and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intresting Fusionbilln1943VIPDined on 6/21/2014Interesting fusion of Indian and European/American. Had the Five Dahl Soup - excellent; the Tandoori Chicken Tacos - very good: the Duck Samosas - very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/20/2014Loved the indian fusion - especially the curry pasta special. My only criticism would be that the duck with pomegranate glaze and lentils was supposed to be with crispy brussel sprouts - they weren't crispy, just undercooked. Also, the lentils were cooked with bacon which was not noted on the menu. I do not eat bacon and would not have ordered if I knew that. The samosa appetizer and naan were very good. I would have liked more options for dessert (there were just two). But, overall this was an interesting menu, good flavors, and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not well attendedDochVIPDined on 6/11/2014No one was in the restaurant when we showed up. We stood at the door waiting for a hostess to come greet us and take our reservation. We stood there for 15 minutes. Finally the bartender/waitress came and sat us. It only appeared that 3 people worked there. 1 bartender/waitress, 1 runner, and 1 chef. It took a long time to get our food and drinks. The food was not worth the wait. The place has great potential, but they are lacking on the execution.Special Features:
- Fair/Good Food, but OverpricedimhoDined on 6/11/2014I enjoyed our evening at 4935 Bar and Kitchen. The bartender was great - very friendly, helpful with the cocktail orders and then she checked back to see how I liked my choice. We really liked the chicken tacos on the starter menu. We both chose the chef's special pasta as our entree. It was supposed to be seafood linguine with a curry cream sauce, but the pasta looked more like thin spaghetti with a small amount of rather bland sauce. It was topped with 3 medium shrimp and some tasty mussels. In my opinion, it was not worth the $18 charge. We liked the style of the restaurant, the really nice bartender and we hope to go back for lunch or maybe for happy hour to try some of their other starters and another tasty cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining outIraniDined on 5/30/2014The food was very good, great presentation, very well prepared, interesting and creative. Service was excellent and made us feel special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/29/2014Great menu, delicious food. We moved here about a year ago and been on a hunt for "go to"restaurants. This will be added to our list. Enjoyed meeting the owner/ cook! Hope more people discover it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2014We recently had a very tasty dinner here. The chef himself came out to see how things had gone, which was a nice surprise. The service was a bit slow, but the food definitely made up for it. The ambiance still needs a little work, but the restaurant is still fairly new, so I consider that a minor drawback.Special Features:
- The following 298 reviews are from the 4935 Bar and Kitchen reviews archive.
- New place, worth giving it a tryBethesdaRegularVIPDined on 5/20/2014The chef/owner has some good ideas, and is importing some NY feel to the DC area. We went on a weeknight and there were only a few tables occupied. Hope business picks up because it would probably be more fun if it was crowded. But the food was good, spicy and fresh.Special Features:
- My kids had a blastDadWith2KidsDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day My daughter ate more than I've ever seen. The staff was friendly (except for an older hostess) and it was a really enjoyable experience. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakloverDined on 5/11/2014Was there for mother's day brunch. The food was ok but desert was straight out of Costco and Sam's club and that was disappointing.
- great mother's day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014we were so happy at your brunch, the food was amazing and the kids had great choices. It was reasonably priced which really made a difference when you have kids with you. We'll be coming back soon for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising FindPeterVIPDined on 5/7/20144935 Bar and Kitchen turns out great drinks and outstanding food. The presentation of the dishes was striking. My duck breast with sweet potato was so good I didn't get to eat a lot of it - my family dug in across the table with eager spoons.. not that their dishes (seared scallops on cilantro quinoa and Indian-flavored pork chops) didn't disappear quickly, too. The Indian-American fusion style results in something more than a combination of the two, something unique. We'll be back. Our server was warm and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New - a lot of kinks to work outABBAVIPDined on 5/3/2014Restaurant was empty for a Sat night in Bethesda. We were 1 of 7 tables. 1 waiter for all tables so service was slow. 2 managers helping, not effectively. At one point, both managers & the waiter were standing around chatting while I had to raise my arm in the air to get someone's attention. Ordered a wine from the menu - waiter put the order in, we heard the bartender say "what the F is that?" Aside from the bad language, the bartender should know their wines especially since they had a very small selection. My food was not cooked properly and was sent back, it came back dry so I never ate it. Should have taken it off of bill. they were out of the 3 of the menu items. Much room for improvement. beautiful space & great hostess.
- Menu creative and tastyJEB1VIPDined on 4/12/2014Blend of Indian favors produces very tasty dishes and decor and service add to enjoyable dinner. Will go back sooner than many places.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/12/2014Enjoyed the pork chop and tuna tartar. Oysters were excellent. Would definitely return.
- DisappointingYumYumVIPDined on 4/11/2014New restaurant with no atmosphere. Expensive and spare, we went on Saturday night and it was nearly empty. Noise level quiet because no he was there. Skip dessert. Perhaps choose another restaurant!
- Bar with KitchenGalsVIPDined on 4/9/2014If looking for booze and associated contacts, this place is all yours. Starting in the afternoon until late night. As such this new spot may fill a void in the area south of NIH campus. The cocktail glass was large and spiritually forceful, which is usually most appreciated, unless you plan driving after the dinner with one drink. The Indian infused fusion food is good yet optional, and more affordable nearby.Special Features:
- What happennedSusanVIPDined on 4/8/2014I just went there the week before and loved it. The service was not good, the only food that was good were the oysters. My friends entree was not well prepared We had a bit of a tussle about the bill which was resolved.
- Indian/American FusionTheJewgernautVIPDined on 4/5/2014Good and interesting cuisine -- modern bistro food with heavy Indian influence. For example, the menu features samosas and sliders side by side. A little odd, but it works. We had an excellent lamb shank -- very traditional, and the "pasta of the day" which was angel hair, shrimp and mussels in a curry marinara sauce. The complimentary pesto naan was incredibly good. Very hip décor, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well, maybeamsavaVIPDined on 4/5/2014yes, with a but. service perhaps a bit too rushed. shaved asparagus and fennel salad lovely, but prepared with too much dressing --but when i ordered, i asked and they said dirzzled. I ate it but should have definitely been served on the side. salmon cooked perfectly but risotto [cooked well was a bit too lemony--and i love lemon-- and too much compared to ratio with spinach and sundried tomatoes. apple crisp--not really --apples, oats and puff pastry--odd- and too hot from the microwave; we waited, thankfully ice cream didnt melt.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience4eva21Dined on 4/5/2014Menu was limited, but all the dishes we ordered were great. Fresh naan were better than I ever had. Tandoori corn will bring me back there soon. The seafood pasta was amazing. Service was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!greenbeanDined on 4/4/2014Went to this restaurant Friday night. The food is phenomenal. A true treat for the senses! Very generous portions and everything we ordered was amazing with tons of flavor! The service was very polite and helpful but just seemed a little unorganized. We were taken well care of but it just seemed like too many people doing different things that just our waiter could have handled.Special Features:
- Eclectic?AnonVIPDined on 4/4/2014A bar? A restaurant? Indian? American? French? Can't call it eclectic; more like, an eating and drinking establishment with an identity crisis.