490 Westbury Ave.
Carle Place, NY 11514Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.490west.com/
- Phone: 5163380848
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Tue-Fri 1130-230 Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pat Ippolito
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Tasteful Events Catering a subsidiary of 490 west is a renowned New York Caterer recognized for serving innovative and delectable dishes. We provide elegant and professional services, both at the corporate and private level. Our New York clients have trusted our catering services since our inception. Our mission is to serve quality food using the best and freshest ingredients, with a flair for presentation. To be the best caterer in the New York you must combine taste, presentation and extraordinary service. We do just that. We cater to events of any size and at any location.
A word from 490 West
490 west is an upscale fine dining restaurant serving a new American menu with an Italian flare. Come try our fresh wild fish, all natural meats, organic produce and homemade pastas. 490 West only uses the freshest and highest quality ingredients available. All our fish are wild caught and brought in daily. We are committed to local farmers and will use organic produce whenever possible. Our meats are all natural with no added antibiotics or hormones. Some of our partners we use are Pine Land Beef, PM Beef, Dubreton Pork, Satur Farms and the Fulton Fish market. We are also very conscientious towards food allergies and especially welcome gluten-free Individuals. Please let us know of any allergies and we will accommodate you accordingly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
490 West reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance2.5Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Out of businessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The restaurant was out of business when we arrived after receiving an open table confirmation only a few days prior to my resevatiom
- Almost walked awayTimetoeatDined on 6/21/2014490 west had good reviews on opentable so we decided to give it a shot. Upon arrival to the archaic house turned restaurant we nearly opted out of eating there. The building looks like a dilapidated house ready for condemnation. We decided that since we were already there to be open minded. The inside of the building is not as bad as the outside minus the no air conditioning and sun drenched windows that made the room 90 degrees. Onto the food. Apps were surprisingly good, shrimp three ways and crab cakes were both very delicious and interesting. Main course, beef tenderloin, veal steak, pork tenderloin. All three meals cooked to order and delicious. Not the greatest dining experience for the money but all in all the food was very good.
- a must to go tohkahncpaDined on 5/31/2014the restaurant is in carle place off the beaten path slightly. easy to get to and they have their own parking lot. food is fantastic. it is clear the chef, steve, takes his work to heart. service was terrific. prices are reasonable. a must for people who like Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 408 reviews are from the 490 West reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/17/2014the food was very good. their selections on the menu, however, have gotten very limited. the service was pretty slow which it never was before. all in all i love the restaurant and wouldnt hesitate to return
- The Service Was LovelyPrincyDined on 5/15/2014The place was literally empty at 6 on a Thursday, so we were seated quickly. Our server really made the entire experience amazing. The place seems small and not very...eye catching, but she made our meal great with excellent recommendations and help. I had the crab cakes, and you really get some awesome food. Of course, if you aren't willing to pay for good food, then don't go...but I liked it and though we were of a younger crowd, she served us to the best of her ability.Special Features:
- Could Use an UpdateJust4FunDined on 5/11/2014First visit to this restaurant. Food was very good and presented very nicely. Menu is a bit limited but offers a good variety of entrees and appetizers. Dining room interior and exterior could use some much needed updating. Doesn't have the look or feel of a restaurant in the category that the quality of the food and price point puts it in.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 490 westRuthDined on 5/10/2014Had a magical night with my husband and good friends. Food was outstanding and service was perfect. Exactly what you would want during an evening out. I highly recommend 490 West to anyone who wants to enjoy great food, lovely atmosphere and the best group of people who bring it all together! CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/10/2014The food at this restaurant is very good, but there are serious service issues due to understaffing. I like a leisurely dinner but this one took 2.5 hours. It was very difficult to get water glasses filled or to request anything as the waitress would disappear for VERY long periods of time. It was not the fault of the waitress. She was handling virtually the entire restaurant by herself. The restaurant may think they are saving money by understaffing but the opposite is true. They are costing themselves business.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014Maybe my expectations were too high after reading all of the amazing reviews before I made my reservation. The food was good, certainly better than I can myself, but that's about it. Maybe we were there on just an off night.
- A Restaurant Week FindDavidRDined on 5/1/2014The memorable moments here came at the very beginning and the end. The bread was very good, but the seasoned butter that came with it was outstanding, rich with shallots and spices. A little thing, perhaps, but memorable nonetheless. Entrees of grilled branzino and pork tenderloin were excellent, the tenderloin just pink in the center. The mashed sweet potatoes accompanying the tenderloin were also worthy of mention. The final highlight was the walnut cheesecake for dessert, almost liquid in texture with the thinnest crunchy caramel coating on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheresaDined on 4/27/2014Food was good. Service was poor due to short staffing. First day of restaurant week and they ran out of food early. Bus boy had to go down to the corner market for food. Poor planning on the chefs part. Wouldnt go back. One table had to change their order three times. I would have left.
- 490 Westlinda3571reviewsDined on 4/27/2014We tried 490 West during restaurant week Sunday nite at 6pm. We were told that they only were offering their restaurant week menu which was listed on Open Table reviews. I was unhappy to see the broken steps at the entrance, they .put a board up but it looked very sloppy. We arrived early and had a happy hour drink at the "bar". The bar only adequate and nothing is served with a drink. Not a chip or nut. I asked if we could order anything, but was told it was not possible. We were told they were out of 3 of the main courses, no substitutions. Sat at least 45 minutes before we were served. They delivered 6 pieces of bread for 6 people. We felt they did not want to be part of restaurant week. Owner was our server was very UNACCOMMODATING.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014The pork was fabulous! Cooked to perfection. Lamb, although claimed to be one of their best was good, the pork was the star of the dinner.Special Features:
- AnafromnyVIPDined on 4/25/2014I have been in this restaurant in the past and was happy with my food but not this time. I don't know if it was because it was restaurant week. The service was excellent.
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014We enjoyed dining at 490 West. The food and the service were excellent. I will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Nice local restaurantAnnoyingDined on 4/17/2014We like this restaurant for its good food and the ability to make a reservation. This visit was slightly awkward because the waitress was very loud with an annoying laugh. Her voice was difficult to avoid and made our quiet dinner not very relaxing. The restaurant was pretty empty because of the upcoming holiday, and her loud and unnerving laugh was hard to avoid. I believe the wait staff should be attentive, but subtle. Our food tasted wonderful, but we were happy to leave at the end of the meal.Special Features:
- Quiet and ConsistentSundanceDined on 4/5/2014We dine here a few times a year and find this restaurant to be always consistently good. The atmosphere is very soothing and you rarely have loud parties disrupting the dining room. While the menu is not overly creative, what they do prepare is good. Worth the visit.Special Features:
- food was great and so was service!NygirlVIPDined on 4/2/2014Everything we had was very good.the beet and goat cheese walnut pesto salad was outstanding as well as the escargot.we also shared the brie, shrimp and scallops.The service was very attentive.We really loved this place and have already gone back! I would recommend the shrimp with bacon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to have found itLBNYgourmandDined on 3/21/2014Very nice restaurant w/ interesting menu of well prepared dishes. Very nice wait staff and convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal.loverestaurantsVIPDined on 3/18/2014The food is always fresh and deliciously prepared, and the service is attentive and courteous. Can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- check before hand if you wantKenWVIPDined on 3/16/2014check before hand if you want to use a coupon, open table or early bird special as they don't allow more than one at a time
- Excellent RestaurantLoniDined on 3/14/2014490 West, in Carle Place NY, is a great find! The ambience is lovely, the food is excellent, and the service is just great.I have eaten there with a small group of friends, as well as a luncheon with about 20 people. Whether a small group or large, the food and sevice are excellent. The wine list is also affordable. I highly recommend 490 West as a unique restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- after visiting this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/8/2014after visiting this restaurant many times i can honestly say the service and food quality is outstanding. you never have to ask more than once for anything. we cannot wait to go back soon
- Nice night outHappywifeDined on 3/7/2014Delicious food you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. We had the special and it was cooked to perfection. Great time, great service, great food, loved the wine.Special Features:
- Another great night outFoodiesVIPDined on 3/1/2014490 never disappoints. My husband and I have been going to 490 frequently for the last few years. It is clear word has gotten out about the great food here as the dining room was full! the Brie appetizers is always my favorite and I had the tenderloin which was perfection. My husband had a veal special which he also loved. The restaurant is tucked away from the craze of Old Country Road which makes it that much more appealing. A nice quiet relaxing night out with great food! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodilenesDined on 2/22/2014Wish this place were closer and that it was a little more roomy, but we absolutely loved the meal and the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational!KnowMyFoodDined on 2/15/2014This was my 4th dinner here and they have once again delivered a sensational package!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayPattyfoodieDined on 2/14/2014We booked early for this favorite restaurant. It's a family run business with loving attention. Service was a little slow. Out dinners of trout and veal & eggplant were delicious. The desert of flour less chocolate cake was a great end of the meal and Valentines Day. The menu notes which dishes are gluten free, which helps when you are. We love going to this restaurant for special dinners.Special Features:
- Most enjoyableTopsqueezeVIPDined on 2/1/2014Very pleasant dining experience! Duck, seafood pasta, veal dish all very good. Our waitress was lovely and attentive. The fact that the restaurant is broken up into several spaces keeps the noise down. Truly a happy find!Special Features:
- MAKES ANY DINNER A SPECIAL OCCASIONGr8foodDined on 1/31/2014Outstanding doesn't describe the superior quality of the food prepared and served at 490 West. I love to cook. I have taken many cooking classes and gone to many highly rated restaurants, but Chef Pat at 490 West brings culinary art to a new level. The appetizer of Baked Brie was served as two puff pastry turnovers garnished with delicate pieces of apple and a Balsamic sauce. The beef tenderloin was a generous portion and fork tender served with au gratin potatoes and asparagus. Mouth watering doesn't begin to describe my gastronomic delight! We ended the meal sharing butter pecan ice cream with sea salt and bacon crumbles that exceeds description! You must make a reservation and enjoy a meal at 490 West.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassuming from the outsidegdfd24Dined on 1/25/2014Unassuming from the outside and away from hustle and bustle on an unassuming street. Read great reviews, so when we pulled up was not too sure what to expect. Turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Great service, great food, and great ambience. Would definitely recommend. Was a bit on the pricey side, though. Have to add that we went on a bitter cold, snowy night thinking the place would be empty. Could not believe how many people kept walking in. Nothing was keeping them from this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for good GF foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/24/2014Found this gem in an article about Gluten Free friendly menu. This was our 3rd visit. My Wife and I 3 times and 8 different people. No one has ever had a bad meal, and a majority of the meals were considered excellent! Desserts great too. Highly recomended. Gluten Free food is great, many choices.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/23/2014It was our first time dinning at 490 west. My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed every bite from the beat/mixed green salad, to the three way shrimp, and the crab cakes. Now the entrees were excellent! Loved the tenderloin and my girlfriend was very pleased with the lobster ravioli. It was just enough food to satisfy our appetite. The restaurant was a great find, Ro the waitress and the young girl that I believe was the owner's daughter were very friendly; they made our dinning experience worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful food, shocking serviceCdrsiskoDined on 1/15/2014This restaurant is located in a house in a small town on LI. There is one tiny sign that is unlit on the side of the building. The entry door stuck to the frame making entry hard. We were seated quickly but that was the only thing decent about the service. There were only two people working front of the house that evening. Once appeared to be a busboy elevated to waiter for the evening. The restaurant was grossly understaffed and diners encountered long wait times as a result. For example, we waited 21 minutes just to get our check. The food had lots of flavor and the flavors worked well with each other. The crab cakes had a strong flavor of tarragon and held together real well when eating. Portions were a little bit shy of average.
- Great place, food & serviceDellDined on 1/4/2014Everything I've had here has been great! I will be going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have eaten here several timesFredVIPDined on 12/31/2013Have eaten here several times and it does not disappoint. Our most recent visit was for an early dinner on New Years Eve. It was nice that the restaurant had only a slightly modified menu for the special occasion - and prices were in line with the restaurant's normal level - not overinflated as with some places.Special Features:
- Great food, attentive staff,babsDined on 12/27/2013Great food, attentive staff, friendly and inviting.Special Features:
- A wonderful birthday celebration.GrammicjDined on 12/26/2013This was not the first time we dined here, but this time it was just the two of us for a birthday dinner. As before, we were very happy with the experience, food, wine, our great waitress Ro, and all of the waitstaff! We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truly a neighborhood gembabydocVIPDined on 12/21/2013we made the reservation accidentally...we thought it was a different restaurant but what a nice surprise! the food was delicious with generous portions. the waitress Ro was lovely. the restaurant has the feeling of a small town cozy restaurant.....we will definitely be back and with the intent to make the reservation at the right restaurant this time!Special Features:
- neighborhood restaurantweaselDined on 12/20/2013Located in Carle Place on Westbury Avenue, this place has changed owners a few times since we have been going these and each time, I think the food has improved. I asked for a corner table near a window but did not have it when we arrived. The owners, however, quickly accommodated us with the corner table which was unoccupied but set for 6. We were a group of 4 and I did appreciate that service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.