49 Temple Place
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.49social.com/
- Phone: (617) 338-9600
- Hours of Operation:
Open: Monday through Thursday until 1:00 am and Friday and Saturday until 2:00 am, sunday, 5 pm to 9 pm
Dinner: Monday through Thursday, 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm, Friday and Saturday 5.00 pm until 10.30 pm
Bar Menu offered from 5:00 pm to 10:30 pm, Monday through Thursday, and 5:00 pm to 12:30 am Friday and Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American
- Executive Chef: Jason Fiset
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: available upon request
- Entertainment: Live music is offered every Friday and Saturday night from 9:30 pm to 2.00 am. For additional information, please check the music calendar at www.49social.com or call at (617) 338-9600.
- Special Events: Our mezzanine and downstairs lounge are available for private events. We can accommodate events of all types, ranging from wedding parties to corporate dinners, and can offer an exclusive private event menu or customize a food and drink pairing to meet your needs.
- Cross Street: Washington Street
- Public Transit: Downtown Crossing - Orange, Red & Silver Lines
Park Street - Green & Red Lines
Government Center - Blue & Green Lines
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Discounted parking is available at the Lafayette Garage, located at 1 Avenue De Lafayette. Rates with validation: $10 for nights and weekends from 4:00pm to 5:00am; $2 off each of the first two hours on weekdays.
A word from 49 Social
49 Social, the latest addition to the expanding Downtown Crossing culinary scene, is now open and serving refined modern American cuisine Monday through sunday. The seasonal dinner menu ,draw inspiration from around the globe while incorporating ingredients from local New England farms whenever possible. The bar menu features smaller plates sure to satisfy late night cravings and complement an extensive wine list and craft cocktail menu. Guests are offered a choice of dining experience over three levels of seating including a mezzanine and a downstairs lounge, which are also available for private functions. Friday and Saturday nights feature live musician an intimate setting, putting you up close and personal with the band.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
49 Social reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Thin SwordfishgmanmilkowskiDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I went to 49 Social before the Balet on Satuday. I ordered the swordfish "special" which was $38. The portion was maybe 1/2" thick. It was something I would have expected if I went to an Applebees!!! The waitress was good but their runners left a lot to be desired. The table next to us got the wrong salad delivered and we ordered a mussels appetizer and they brought two bowls of tomato bisque.
- Wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/8/2014I come here often because of the convenient location and good food. I really enjoy this place.Special Features:
- dixieDined on 11/8/2014terrible food. Trigger fish for fish and chips--in Boston?? Tuna tartare was grey. Swordfish like a brick.....bummer....
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014Have been here several times. The food is consistently good as is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite placesTAsh33Dined on 10/9/201449 Social has hit the nail square on the head each time I've been there. The first time was for a 30th birthday party. They sat us upstairs separate from other patrons. We had the space basically to ourselves and service was prompt despite them having to go up and down the stairs. The food at 49 Social is fantastic. They offer a bar menu with several great savory items and a full dining menu that essentially accommodates any diet or appetite. Both times I've went there were some dishes that didn't get rave reviews, but there weren't any knocks on them. All the other diners raved about their dishes (including me). They create some fantastic flavor combinations and do a great job combining textures.Special Features:
- Not good at all.ToniDined on 10/4/2014My husband said it's never a great idea to visit a restaurant near the theatre district, and he was right.
- A drink? MaybeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014As a bar it is OK. It is definitely not a restaurant. You will be stranded on a table beyond the bar in what feels like a back room and spend the whole meal picking through your food trying to decide if it is off, undercooked or re-heated. Poor ingredients thrown together by a spotty teenager. Avoid. The fact that it was the only restaurant with short notice availability at 7.30 on a Friday evening in Central Boston was the big clue I missed!Special Features:
- Reliably tasty and enjoyableMCBosVIPDined on 9/23/2014Have eaten here a few times lately and have been impressed with both the service and reliably tasty food. My friends and I tend to stick to the bar menu + 1 or two items from the "regular" menu, and then share things. I highly recommend both the short-rib sliders and the trio fries. Good bar drinks, and nice selection of wines. Most nights I've been there, you can actually hear yourself (and your dining companions) speak, and it's a great, grown-up place for a good dinner and civilized conversation.Special Features:
- PoorTrinaDined on 9/18/2014Overall very disappointed.....have not had this bad of an experience in a restaurant in a very long time. Pro: Ordered scallops, they were good Cons: + Bread was refrigerator-cold in the center, we were not given butter or oil until we asked + Took >45 minutes to get our meals + Waiter was not attentive, did not give specials (did to another table) + Chicken was dry + Salmon was served rare without asking, had to send back twice for further cooking and still was not cooked through + Though scallops were good, portion was very small. Did not order a starter and wish I had, I was still hungry when we left. This is very rare for me, usually I can not finish a main course.
- Not Your Average JoeFoodie91Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is best for its ambience. It's beautiful and has a great bar for you and your friends to enjoy drinks. Not recommended for singles or very large groups. Food is decent at best. Service was great. We came as a group of three but I was surprised to see gratuities included in my bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice option in Downtown CrossingMargieRVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had 6 for dinner. Restaurant was very quiet, not sure why. Maybe a Tuesday in August.... The restaurant is very cute with a nice bar and tables in the back. Nicely lit. Our server was attentive and very nice, although not entirely informed about details of the menu when we asked questions. Nice cocktail menu. Food was good, everyone enjoyed their meals. Scallops, lamb Bolognese, filet mignon and lamb shank were all well prepared. Desserts were ok. Chocolate lava cake was good but we had to send back the NY Cheesecake as it was dry and lacked flavor.
- Great Catch Up SpotFinnishFoodieDined on 8/4/2014I had dinner at 49 Social this past Monday and am already looking forward to going back. I was meeting up with friends to chat and we couldn't have picked a better spot. The restaurant was pretty quiet (as one might expect for a Monday night) and our waitress was friendly. We sampled and split a bunch of apps and desserts and left full and happy. Next time I will be checking out the cocktail menu and taking advantage of the $5 bar bites - the lamb sliders and fried manchego cheese plates were delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 297 reviews are from the 49 Social reviews archive.
- Dinner at 49 SocialMrsMichaelVIPDined on 7/11/2014We were one of the first diners for the evening and our waitress was overly attentive during our entire meal. The food was cooked to perfection and full of flavor. For appetizers, I had the beet salad which was more than enough for an appetizer and my husband had the Frito Misto. The calamari was spicy, but not too spicy and loved the added flavor of the peppers. For the main course, I choose the pan-seared scallops and my husband selected the Fruitti De Mare. My husband wanted risotto as a side dish, and the chef was very happy to accommodate my husband and provide him with the risotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent--but priceyTheatreFolkDined on 7/2/2014Pre-theater dinner. My wife had a sizable portion of pork loin with kale and farro (a nutty wheat) for $28. Pork was perfectly cooked! Yummy! I had the Frutti di Mare, pappardelle with seafood (lobster, scallops, shrimp) in a deliciously rich, creamy saffron sauce.($32) Outstanding! Our excellent server had rave reviews for the loin and the frutti di mare--and she was right on! Ambience romantic in an historic locale. Pleasantly quiet. The wine list is impressive and varied, but favors bottles over glasses. My wife and I usually order different entrees--and thus different wines, so a full bottle doesn't work for us. Chocolate dessert topped with a touch of mascarpone (?) was fabulous! All in all--a wonderful feast before the Phantom.Special Features:
- Great for the palette!eatwithgustoDined on 6/29/2014We had never dined at 49 Social, and it was a terrific experience! Our meal followed a matinee performance of 'Phantom', and did not take a back seat to it. The appetizer, Duck ragu, was superb, a great start, for sure! My friend selected the salmon, with brown rice, and she declared it to be excellent. My fillet mignon was terrific, tender and succulent. For dessert, we shared butterscotch bread pudding, and that was amazing, the perfect ending to a special dining experience. The service was great, and I look forward to another trip to 49 Social!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mimiVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food was outstanding from appetiser to main meal, the beet salad was incredible the fruit di Mare was unbelievable, the best seafood was amazing I have ever had, the salmon was wonderful, the filet was better than any we have had in Boston. We were a party of 6, the service was impecable. The only 2 small downsides were, after we finished the great pinot grigiot, which was so smooth we asked for a 2nd bottle of the same but they had run out. So we had a to get another kind of wine BUT our server Julia immediately changed the glasses for the wine. the 2nd down was that the place was empty. there were a few people at the bar but no diners. You should go and try it, you dont know what you are missing! will go there again, very soon.
- New restaurant reviewPtownbillyVIPDined on 5/10/2014We made a last minute reservation for 1030 pm at 49 Social. For the first time in many years, after making a reservation, we were seated immediately. The host was charming and spent time talking about the history of the neighborhood. Server was engaging, drinks were served promptly, and all four diners thought their meals excellent. Hostess was lovely and checked twice to make sure all was well. That is what impressed most. Many times have dined out, and after meals have arrived, there is little follow up by staff to assess satisfaction. Here we were catered to, and that was , in particular, what made this a special dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/9/2014We were seated for 20 minutes before anyone even came over to acknowledge our existence ! Then went downhill from there. Need to hire more/better wait staff . Sure you can in this economy. Food was pretty good, especially the burger.Special Features:
- Business DinnerSoxfan919Dined on 4/30/2014We booked at 49 Social for a group dinner (10 of us). The service was great - we had a group show early and have drinks. Once whole party was there we ordered appetizers - most of which on menu are not shareable but we did share. Almost everyone ordered steak and most all were happy with how the meat was prepared. The wine list is good and they have an interesting list of cocktails. Overall a good experience and I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent small plates, too!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/26/2014We went here for a quick bite in the early evening before a party, and basically shared a bunch of small plates and appetizers. The seafood misto had the best calamari I've ever had... will definitely return for a full-blown dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 49 Social - The Best of Bostontheatre2dineDined on 4/26/2014This was our fourth trip to 49 Social and it never disappoints. The food is simply delicious and made to order. The scollops are the best we have ever had but then that goes for the rest of the menu. The service and wait staff are terrific and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the menu. Additionally, when you walk into the restaurant you are greeted in a welcoming fashion that sets the tempo for the rest of the evening. In short 49 Social should be on everyone's for dinner when visiting Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table in a cornerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/25/2014My first impression was a snooty maître d who sat us in the farthest back corner upstairs, passing several empty tables as went. I spent the meal looking at my husband framed by a dull grey wall, so I have no impressions of the decor and ambiance. I could have been in a conference room of a hotel. Food was good, but not nearly exceptional enough to make up for table location.
- Saltiest caesar salad ever!LMF101Dined on 4/25/2014We went to 49 Social because it is close to the Opera House. Given other reviews we had read we steered clear of the entrees and ordered salads and appetizers. The Caesar salad was so salty it was inedible, but the shaved vegetable salad was delicious. The lobster ravioli was quite good but the frito misto was mediocre - tasted like the seafood was fried in old oil. We ordered shortly after we sat down, but everyone around us received their food before we did. It was a good 40 minutes before we got anything and we only ordered appetizers and salads. Overall it was a very mixed experience.
- Great place for appsZiggyDined on 4/22/2014Great place for apps, met with 6 friends and had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Pre-ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014We had a 6:00 reservation and got a call from the restaurant at 4:30 recommending we come a little early if we were going to a 7:00 show (our show was at 8:00, but what a great call to get). The staff was very organized and seated a wave of 6:00 reservations quickly. By 6:30 the upstairs was full. Lobster ravioli app was outstanding and the scallop entree was also exceptional. Service was very fast and thorough. I would highly recommend 49 Social for your pre-theater meal. They know how to get you out on time after having an exceptional meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and will returnDiscerningDinerDined on 4/18/2014Very impressed with 49 Wonderful food, service and pretty good wine list. Appetizer dish of calamari, shrimp, scallop in spicy sautéed was one of the best dishes I've had in Boston. Nice spot for dinner and around the corner from the Opera HouseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the mark!Musiclover1013Dined on 4/18/2014Unfortunately, what we experienced was just mediocre and missed the mark in many areas. First, the positives. I will say that the bar staff at 49 Social have crafted a great cocktail menu, with choices for all. We were also very pleased with the appetizer of steamed mussels in a very flavorful broth, perfect for dipping. Areas where they missed the mark were bringing the entree and clearing the appetizer course when we were not yet finished, overcooking both the salmon and pork entrees, lack luster seasoning, taking 5 minutes before bringing proper cutlery after bringing the entree, and showing a 2007 vintage wine while bringing 2011 to the table.Special Features:
- Great place to have dinnerClassicDined on 4/12/2014Great place to have dinner prior to attending the thearter.. Wait staff was great and courteous.. Menu had a great mix of seafood, meats and special items. Would definently go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for the theatreJaneDined on 4/12/2014Easy walking distance from the Boston Opera House. Efficient and friendly service. Good food -- especially the fish special with white asparagus risotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some really yummy food!TRoseDined on 4/11/2014Service was relatively fast - wait staff understood that diners were headed for the theater. Lobster Ravioli was to die for - wish they would offer it as a full meal, not just an appetizer. Herb Crusted Lamb was tasty on the edges, but sadly not properly cooked through. I'd dine there again, though - the prices were very reasonable for a downtown location with such tasty cuisine!
- Highly recommendBuddysfamilyDined on 4/11/2014Enjoyed every aspect of our first visit here. Reservation was observed, although we decided to sit at a hightop in the lounge area instead.. Bartender recommended and made a perfect drink for me. Hubbie's Frutti di Mare was incredible. Housemade pasta, amazing sauce, perfectly portioned. I had the special; seared halibut w/ (housemade) mushroom tortellini & sauteed mushrooms, and it was perfect. Beautiful piece of fresh fish! The tortellini = divine (mmm...) and the mushrooms (shiitake + other ) were garlicky & nicely browned. We enjoyed talking to owner who was attentive and genuine. The validation (Lafayette garage) brought parking (went to Opera house after) down to only $12! Perfect destination for pre-theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater dinnerEhad2Dined on 4/11/2014My wife and I dined here before theater. We had a reservation but at 6 PM I don't know if we needed one. Because it was so early, we weren't really hungry and opted for a starter and salad. We both ordered the Frito Misto, a fried combo of calamari, shrimp and scallops with a piece of garlic toast. The portion was generous and with a salad, plenty for us both. Downtown location is only convenient for theater goers or workers in the area. Parking would be at public garage, no valet.
- Good for pre-theatercherylglVIPDined on 4/11/2014We were looking for something different pre-theater and non-chain so decided on 49 Social. The service was friendly but inconsistent. My husband ordered the crudo appetizer and shaved salad. He liked them both, but thought the crudo a bit bland. He really liked the flavors of the salad. I had the roasted pork loin. It was cooked well, not dry at all, but the accompanying kale was blended into a runny liquid and the farro was almost non-existent. Liked it, didn't love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent. Highly recommend.JodellDined on 4/10/2014Great place for ages 21 to 60ish. Too loud for older, to crowded for children. Very active and fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really poor serviceCacaDined on 4/10/2014We arrived for a 6pm reservation and waited 10 minutes before we even saw the host to be seated. We had a 7:30pm theatre time and informed our waiter and ordered immediately. It took 30 minutes to get our drinks and our food arrived at 7:10pm, after we reminded our waiter both times we saw him. We were not offered additional drinks. The scallops were very salty and buttery, the swordfish overcooked and dry, and the lamb was tough. We will not be going back.
- Pre Show DinnerFeedmeDined on 4/6/2014I was a bit nervous after I read other reviews but, we made reservations for dinner at 5 for a 6:45 show. We showed up a bit early and we were seated right away. A great round booth that was perfect for three couples. Everyone was quite happy with their food as well as the selection of drinks and wine. Service was quick and friendly. There wasn't much of a crowd but it was picking up as we were leaving. Meals were a bit pricey, but it was very convenient to the location of the show so we would all do it again. Good selection, great location, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014Food prepared pre theatre was excellent despite number of customers. Service superb.Special Features:
- Great Friday Night Dinner with frieGaz1Dined on 4/4/2014Booked dinner res last minute and turned out to be a great choice. Everything was good from the friendly staff to the good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slouis83VIPDined on 4/4/2014Recommend not going when there is a show playing as we had a hard time getting served until all the theatre goers left the restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great experienceKslupDined on 4/4/2014Went to dinner here before a show at the Opera House. Convenient location, and the food was excellent. We loved the ambience and the experience. The only thing is service was a little slow at times (asking for menues and drinks two for more) and our side dish was never ordered by our server. Otherwise we really loved it and would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.