44 & X
622 Tenth Ave
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
44 & X
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://44andx.com/
- Phone: 2129771170
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:45pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:45pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:45pm,
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:45pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:15am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Hart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from 44 & X
WELCOME TO 44 & X HELL’S KITCHEN, at the northeast corner of Forty-fouth Street and Tenth Avenue. Enjoy a respite from a stressful New York day in a jewel-box setting, within walking distance of Broadway and Theatre Row. Our seasonally-inspired menu features reinvented American classics and the finest hand-selected meats. Settle in at a comfy table for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Or indulge, any time, in one of our Tony-themed cocktails at the bar. Come in. Your table is ready.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
44 & X reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (156)fit for foodies (127)great for outdoor dining (101)great for brunch (95)special occasion (63)great for lunch (58)good for groups (56)hot spot (49)romantic (39)notable wine list (22)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (4)Show More
- Amazing but PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014Love this place, great atmosphere, delicious food, and friendly service. It's just a bit pricier than it should be. All entrees are 30+ .... but they are so yummy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014too noisy, had to shout to be heard. tables were to close together. youwere in other peoples conversationand food.Special Features:
- happy surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014Lovely ambiance and great meal and value. Had a wonderful steak frites that was so big I could have shared.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchAmyStDined on 9/13/2014Pancakes, omelets, French toast, everything was good. Beautiful presentation and attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnitterVIPDined on 9/9/2014Good for for far west theater. Some dishes worked better than others. We usually eat at 44 1/2, but decided to try 44&Xbecause they have a more extensive menu. Tuna sashimi was boring, not flavorful, a very small portion, and not half as interesting as the tuna tartare at their sister restaurant. The tilapia was very good. Great crust and delicious polenta, how ever the sole was a major disappointment... It was overly seasoned with pepper. And the vegetables were swimming in a butter sauce, which was not clearly stated on the menu. I think we will return to 44&X next time we are in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Keep coming backScottyGDined on 9/6/2014Found this restuarant last year while seeing a show on Broadway. The walk a few blocks in to Hell's Kitchen is so worth it! The menu is inventive and delicious. The staff is great and the place is always hopping with a sleek, fun vibe. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delcious pre-theater mealFrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014good food, good location, good service. Go early to avoid crowdsSpecial Features:
- SOLID FOOD AND NICE DECOR1KTravelerVIPDined on 9/1/201444 & X is what I like to describe as a "scene" room, complete with hot servers in tight t-shirts working in a very well decorated space. The food is good, but not particularly memorable. My friend had the short ribs, and reported they were delicious. I had the special Cod over haricot verts, which was just ok. The staff were not particularly knowledgeable about food and wine, but were friendly and attentive.
- Great food, erratic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2014While the menu is great, for both brunch and dinner, the service is at best erratic. You can get attentive waiter or you can get 15 minutes of no one paying attention to you while you're trying to order.Special Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014I have been there a few times and never had a problem, however my last experience was very disappointing. We arrived at 11:30 for brunch and waited until 12:30 to be able to order coffee. We waited an hour more just to order. The restaurant seemed pretty busy for Labor Day brunch, however they should have been prepared for it. When the food finally arrived, I was even more disappointed. My bacon was cold and the dry, my brioche was drenched in maple syrup, and I had a half raspberry on top (instead of a raspberry coulis). The only good part of it was their mini muffins they serve at the beginning.
- ExcellentJnolaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food is just total 5 star! Our waiter was perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love It!ChonafreeDined on 8/31/2014Good food, great service, I couldn't ask for anything more!Special Features:
- a great brunch with great serviceadamVIPDined on 8/31/2014We were staying in the neighborhood and opted to try this place for brunch on a Sunday. We were pleasantly surprised with both the food and the service. We were seated outside, but the service was excellent (water and coffee glasses refilled frequently). We got the Mediterranean salad which was delicious, the french toast, which was dense and rich, but delicious, and the eggs with mushrooms. The eggs were cooked very well, but the toast was cold and the mushrooms could have been more varied in the dish. We left very satisfied. The inside is also a lovely open airy space!Special Features:
- EigermanVIPDined on 8/28/2014Sitting outside - next to 10th Ave and a Mobile gas station - has the ambiance of dining on interstate 95.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Hells KitchenJalanTexasDined on 8/27/2014If you are looking for great food for a business dinner or a romantic spot then 44 & X is the place for you. My business group ordered three different fish entrees and each one was prepared to die for. Great flavor cooked perfectly. Wine and desserts were outstaning.Special Features:
- Best choice theater districtfoodmattersVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is a really solid dining experience, the food is fresh and well prepared, the menu interesting, service is quite attentive, the ambience charming and light, and the price point excellent for all of the afformentioned. There are so few really decent places to dine in the theater district this is the one we keep coming back to over and over.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerStyveDined on 8/26/2014Our first restaurant in New York, and it was absolutely perfect. The waiters are really nice. They always brought us some hot bread and cold water. The food is absolutely amazing, I tried the salmon first, it was really really spicy, but so good. The hamburger proposed is really not expensive, but believe me, it's so great. The steak was really well cooked, all the sides were perfect. In brief, a really good restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 44 & XXXxclaxmomVIPDined on 8/26/2014Made a rez for my sons birthday based solely on on-line reviews and we had a really fun and delicious evening. I was surprised by how casual the dining room was, but it was still nice. First the service: really professional, attentive but totally not overbearing. The hostess was non-threatening, very flexible (let us finish our drinks at the bar without rushing us) Very subtle things that made the service so good? I realized after dinner that I never touched the wine bottle once. The waiter was NOT hovering, but very aware of our needs. The food was really good. We all ordered different things and we left nothing on our plates. The only downside was the music soundtrack: if you didn't like Ke$ha, you were in for a rough night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent-best in HKStevieMacVIPDined on 8/25/2014This restaurant never fails to be just a great experience-excellent staff, excellent food and HUGE drinks! this is my go-to in Hells Kitchen. not cheap-dinner for two is always about 200bucks-but half of that are the perfect martinis.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchJessDined on 8/24/2014I made reservations for Sunday Brunch at 44&X. We skipped the drinks and both opted for egg dishes -- the food came very quickly and the portion sizes were HUGE. My scrambled eggs must have been made with 5-6 eggs! The food was tasty and even though they had served us very quickly, we weren't rushed out.Special Features:
- great foodyummygirlDined on 8/23/2014Went there after a matinee. Hostess was very friendly and sat us right away. waiter was great and didn't rush us even though it was a saturday night. crab fritters and lobster taco for appetizers were fabulous. Some of our party had steak and some fish. both choices were delicious. wine list not extensive but choices were nice ones. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great short robsFoodie1Dined on 8/22/2014The short ribs were excellent ! It was so good that I went on the hunt for the best short ribs. Did not find any better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kateDined on 8/21/2014Interesting menu with many inventive combinations. Very flavorful. Definitely worth a return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service in HK!JamesnycnyDined on 8/20/2014I love this place! Scott is very friendly and the food is good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheaterSquidly1VIPDined on 8/20/2014The best pre- theater restaurant in NYC. the food is eclectic and delicious. The service is remarkable and they understand your theater tineSpecial Features:
- Great foodGood4dinnerDined on 8/19/2014I was very pleased with my food. The menu had excellent choices to chose from and the food is very good. The bartender was very nice and friendly. Our waiter seemed to be kind of new or was distracted by something, but he did an OK job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealStellaVIPDined on 8/19/2014Our waiter was great and the food was excellent. Had the short ribs which was tasty and so tender. My wife had the fish and loved it. There is a gas station across the street but when you have great people to share the food it's not a concern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliversVisitorLondonerDined on 8/17/2014My fifth visit to this excellent restaurant in trendy Hell's Kitchen. Tasty food, perfectly cooked, and friendly waiters. This is on my 'must do' list whenever I visit New York.Special Features:
- Great findhygienistDined on 8/17/2014We came into the city via the port authority and were meeting friends from the east side. They took the crosstown bus and we walked a few blocks and voila, a great afternoon. The staff was great, food outstanding and the bathroom a must see.Special Features:
- Still one of my NYC favesTMFfromRaleighVIPDined on 8/16/2014I said it before and I'll say it again. It doesn't get any better than 44X. Inventive cuisine, beautifully prepared and presented. And just as the food is a treat for your taste buds, the wait staff is a treat for your eyes!Special Features:
- Wonderful placeMissMGMDined on 8/16/2014Food was fantastic. Service was great. The only negative is that its so far away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- accessible upscale comfort foodChrisADined on 8/15/2014Brought boyfriends parents visiting nyc and it was a great spot with fun takes on haply comfort foods. Atmosphere is buzzy and can still be lively even when shows are on. The original spot to take hells kitchen west. Just ignore the gas station across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favouriteCanadianfoodieDined on 8/14/2014We accidentally found this restaurant after a play a couple of years ago. They had one table open and it was late but they very graciously let us in and we had a wonderful dining experience. Now, back in the city, we made sure we went back. It was every bit as good as we remembered and will definitely come back and recommend to friends. Great food, atmosphere and service. That's what we look for in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice findMargieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Lovely restaurant with good menu. Food was good if not very creative. Nice solid place to have dinner with gear outdoor space in the front on the avenue. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Fine Dining with Fun ServiceMarkVIPDined on 8/13/2014The server t-shirts say it all - "Heaven... In Hell" - this is a Hell's Kitchen gem that offers fine dinning without prevention. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A plus waiterBirthdaytreatDined on 8/11/2014Whatever waitering skills Dan did not have on Monday night was more than amply made up for by his charm and overall gorgeousness! How did you find him? He said he's only been in town for a week. With that face, hair and smile I suspect he is not long for your restaurant, but he contributed to my birthday celebration. I've been here before and love this place.Special Features:
- Great place on 10thdivaduckDined on 8/10/2014Been to brunch here two times. From Texas and really do like this place.Special Features:
- Food just OKFoodJunkieDined on 8/9/2014Went to 44 & X because the concierge at my hotel suggested it for brunch. I was so excited to try the eggs benedict but was extremely disappointed. Hollandaise sauce had absolutely no flavor whatsoever. Our waiter was nice but the service was unbeleivably slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susanrenoDined on 8/8/2014Great restaurant and great service. The food was outstanding . The best gazpacho I ever had as were the short ribsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy birthday dinnerMomofmanyDined on 8/7/2014Was wonderful, ran late so called and was so accommodating. Service was good but don't realize we had show to attend. My fault. LovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.