44 & X
622 Tenth Ave
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
44 & X
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://44andx.com/
- Phone: 2129771170
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:45pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:45pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:45pm,
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:45pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:15am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Hart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from 44 & X
WELCOME TO 44 & X HELL’S KITCHEN, at the northeast corner of Forty-fouth Street and Tenth Avenue. Enjoy a respite from a stressful New York day in a jewel-box setting, within walking distance of Broadway and Theatre Row. Our seasonally-inspired menu features reinvented American classics and the finest hand-selected meats. Settle in at a comfy table for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Or indulge, any time, in one of our Tony-themed cocktails at the bar. Come in. Your table is ready.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
44 & X reviews from OpenTable diners
246 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (146)fit for foodies (120)great for outdoor dining (104)great for brunch (85)special occasion (67)great for lunch (56)good for groups (49)hot spot (44)romantic (38)notable wine list (22)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014Sitting outside - next to 10th Ave and a Mobile gas station - has the ambiance of dining on interstate 95.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Hells KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014If you are looking for great food for a business dinner or a romantic spot then 44 & X is the place for you. My business group ordered three different fish entrees and each one was prepared to die for. Great flavor cooked perfectly. Wine and desserts were outstaning.Special Features:
- Best choice theater districtfoodmattersVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is a really solid dining experience, the food is fresh and well prepared, the menu interesting, service is quite attentive, the ambience charming and light, and the price point excellent for all of the afformentioned. There are so few really decent places to dine in the theater district this is the one we keep coming back to over and over.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Our first restaurant in New York, and it was absolutely perfect. The waiters are really nice. They always brought us some hot bread and cold water. The food is absolutely amazing, I tried the salmon first, it was really really spicy, but so good. The hamburger proposed is really not expensive, but believe me, it's so great. The steak was really well cooked, all the sides were perfect. In brief, a really good restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 44 & XXXxclaxmomVIPDined on 8/26/2014Made a rez for my sons birthday based solely on on-line reviews and we had a really fun and delicious evening. I was surprised by how casual the dining room was, but it was still nice. First the service: really professional, attentive but totally not overbearing. The hostess was non-threatening, very flexible (let us finish our drinks at the bar without rushing us) Very subtle things that made the service so good? I realized after dinner that I never touched the wine bottle once. The waiter was NOT hovering, but very aware of our needs. The food was really good. We all ordered different things and we left nothing on our plates. The only downside was the music soundtrack: if you didn't like Ke$ha, you were in for a rough night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent-best in HKStevieMacVIPDined on 8/25/2014This restaurant never fails to be just a great experience-excellent staff, excellent food and HUGE drinks! this is my go-to in Hells Kitchen. not cheap-dinner for two is always about 200bucks-but half of that are the perfect martinis.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchJessDined on 8/24/2014I made reservations for Sunday Brunch at 44&X. We skipped the drinks and both opted for egg dishes -- the food came very quickly and the portion sizes were HUGE. My scrambled eggs must have been made with 5-6 eggs! The food was tasty and even though they had served us very quickly, we weren't rushed out.Special Features:
- great foodyummygirlDined on 8/23/2014Went there after a matinee. Hostess was very friendly and sat us right away. waiter was great and didn't rush us even though it was a saturday night. crab fritters and lobster taco for appetizers were fabulous. Some of our party had steak and some fish. both choices were delicious. wine list not extensive but choices were nice ones. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great short robsFoodie1Dined on 8/22/2014The short ribs were excellent ! It was so good that I went on the hunt for the best short ribs. Did not find any better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kateDined on 8/21/2014Interesting menu with many inventive combinations. Very flavorful. Definitely worth a return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service in HK!JamesnycnyDined on 8/20/2014I love this place! Scott is very friendly and the food is good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheaterSquidly1VIPDined on 8/20/2014The best pre- theater restaurant in NYC. the food is eclectic and delicious. The service is remarkable and they understand your theater tineSpecial Features:
- Great foodGood4dinnerDined on 8/19/2014I was very pleased with my food. The menu had excellent choices to chose from and the food is very good. The bartender was very nice and friendly. Our waiter seemed to be kind of new or was distracted by something, but he did an OK job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealStellaVIPDined on 8/19/2014Our waiter was great and the food was excellent. Had the short ribs which was tasty and so tender. My wife had the fish and loved it. There is a gas station across the street but when you have great people to share the food it's not a concern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliversVisitorLondonerDined on 8/17/2014My fifth visit to this excellent restaurant in trendy Hell's Kitchen. Tasty food, perfectly cooked, and friendly waiters. This is on my 'must do' list whenever I visit New York.Special Features:
- Great findhygienistDined on 8/17/2014We came into the city via the port authority and were meeting friends from the east side. They took the crosstown bus and we walked a few blocks and voila, a great afternoon. The staff was great, food outstanding and the bathroom a must see.Special Features:
- Still one of my NYC favesTMFfromRaleighVIPDined on 8/16/2014I said it before and I'll say it again. It doesn't get any better than 44X. Inventive cuisine, beautifully prepared and presented. And just as the food is a treat for your taste buds, the wait staff is a treat for your eyes!Special Features:
- Wonderful placeMissMGMDined on 8/16/2014Food was fantastic. Service was great. The only negative is that its so far away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- accessible upscale comfort foodChrisADined on 8/15/2014Brought boyfriends parents visiting nyc and it was a great spot with fun takes on haply comfort foods. Atmosphere is buzzy and can still be lively even when shows are on. The original spot to take hells kitchen west. Just ignore the gas station across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favouriteCanadianfoodieDined on 8/14/2014We accidentally found this restaurant after a play a couple of years ago. They had one table open and it was late but they very graciously let us in and we had a wonderful dining experience. Now, back in the city, we made sure we went back. It was every bit as good as we remembered and will definitely come back and recommend to friends. Great food, atmosphere and service. That's what we look for in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice findMargieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Lovely restaurant with good menu. Food was good if not very creative. Nice solid place to have dinner with gear outdoor space in the front on the avenue. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Fine Dining with Fun ServiceMarkVIPDined on 8/13/2014The server t-shirts say it all - "Heaven... In Hell" - this is a Hell's Kitchen gem that offers fine dinning without prevention. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A plus waiterBirthdaytreatDined on 8/11/2014Whatever waitering skills Dan did not have on Monday night was more than amply made up for by his charm and overall gorgeousness! How did you find him? He said he's only been in town for a week. With that face, hair and smile I suspect he is not long for your restaurant, but he contributed to my birthday celebration. I've been here before and love this place.Special Features:
- Great place on 10thdivaduckDined on 8/10/2014Been to brunch here two times. From Texas and really do like this place.Special Features:
- Food just OKFoodJunkieDined on 8/9/2014Went to 44 & X because the concierge at my hotel suggested it for brunch. I was so excited to try the eggs benedict but was extremely disappointed. Hollandaise sauce had absolutely no flavor whatsoever. Our waiter was nice but the service was unbeleivably slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susanrenoDined on 8/8/2014Great restaurant and great service. The food was outstanding . The best gazpacho I ever had as were the short ribsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy birthday dinnerMomofmanyDined on 8/7/2014Was wonderful, ran late so called and was so accommodating. Service was good but don't realize we had show to attend. My fault. LovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious IngredientsLoriLDined on 8/3/2014This was my first time trying the 44 and X and I had a great seat at a table where I overlooked 10th Avenue. The cherry cocktail drink I tried was out of this world. The crab cake appetizer with fresh ingredients over the top and beautiful sauce and guacamole on the bottom was divine. The Caesar salad was ok. After trying to determine which main course I would try, the waiter recommended the buttermilk fried chicken so I gave it a try. It was served with 2 small waffle sections and some collard greens. The chicken was ok, it was more like a light flour breaded chicken with a pale soft coating that falls off when you cut into it. It wasn't a dish I loved and would order again but I would definitely return and try another dish one day.Special Features:
- 10th avenuesteveDined on 8/3/2014we had brunch this past sunday and the food and service was great.....the shirts the servers wear is accurate...heaven in hell!! just made reservations for lunch for a couple weeks away. Had dinner at this restaurant couple years ago and it was delicious and we had a good time.Special Features:
- BEST in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014This is truly one of NYC's best restaurants. I always have at least one meal there whenever I am in NYC and I am never disappointed. And I love that it's just beyond the tourist-inundated theatre district, so it's populated with more locals and travelers "in the know" as well as ex-New Yorkers like myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch!NickyStaxxDined on 8/2/2014We had brunch for my fiancee's birthday and it was the spot for brunch. A must visit when in the area!Special Features:
- Great food & serviceMammonDined on 8/1/2014Up to now never bothered to write a review, but this is one of my favorite restaurants in Hell's Kitchen. As a European it reminds me of a French or Belgium brasserie. Great place to go for an after work dinner with friends on a Thursday or Friday evening. The menu has a good variety of meat and fish entrees. I like their selection of red and white wines by the bottle, at a fair price. My favorite dish is the filet mignon with potato gratin, excellent piece of meat and up to now always perfectly cookced to order (rare). The interior is clean and the staff friendly. I've been here several times and always had a positive experience. I can highly recommend this place and will certainly come back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodpittypieVIPDined on 8/1/2014Everything was very good. Appetizers were varying in size and not all here easily shared. Somehow a salad should be large enough to share and it wasn't. Meatloaf was yummy and so was the fish. Mixed drinks were great. Overall a good meal but quite expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantFeasterVIPDined on 7/29/2014A nice landing spot in a neighborhood that isn't filled with great places to dine. It was very pleasant, affordable, the food was nicely prepared and the salads were fresh. The atmosphere is also pleasant. You won't be disappointed and the food is much better than most places in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Unforunately they were having electrical problems and the AC and credit card machines were down. It was unbearably hot inside.Special Features:
- can't say enough good!toneczarDined on 7/27/2014Easily top ten brunch dining in the city. 44 & X offers a fancy menu at fair prices. Excellent coffee and very enjoyable complimentary mini muffins for their patrons. Ambient light from the large glass windows helps to set the mood. The waitstaff is attentive and well mannered. I was very impressed by the level of professionalism in their service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyinflaDined on 7/26/2014The food and ambiance were just what we wanted for a pre-theater brunch. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. Have already recommended the restaurant to friends who live in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the ambienceDirectorDined on 7/23/2014I frequent 44 & 10 at least once a week lately, and sometimes it's an AMAZING experience! Every now an then, like my last visit, the service is just bad. I think the spot is a gem in the neighborhood so I brought an industry friend this time, but the staff seemed slow. Saving Grace was when it started raining and the manager quickly moved us inside... He was fast! But then the bad service started again. In the beginning we had to ask for silverware. Then we had to ask for it again when moved inside. It took all night to eat because we were always waiting (menu, drinks, ordering, etc.). Again, I'll come back and I love you guys, just need a better staff than the night I was there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The pork tenderloin was excellent... the salmon on the other hand didn't really taste quite right.
- Service was not greatjustfeedmewellDined on 7/18/2014While the waiter was friendly, he was not remotely apologetic about our long wait for a first cocktail, for our apps, or for a long delay in getting an entree right that needed to be sent back (undercooked duck breast that didn't return to the table until the others' entrees were nearly finished). Some of the food was excellent, but this dish was still not great after being corrected.