44 & X
622 Tenth Ave
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
44 & X
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://44andx.com/
- Phone: 2129771170
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:45pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:45pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:45pm,
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:45pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:15am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Hart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from 44 & X
WELCOME TO 44 & X HELL’S KITCHEN, at the northeast corner of Forty-fouth Street and Tenth Avenue. Enjoy a respite from a stressful New York day in a jewel-box setting, within walking distance of Broadway and Theatre Row. Our seasonally-inspired menu features reinvented American classics and the finest hand-selected meats. Settle in at a comfy table for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Or indulge, any time, in one of our Tony-themed cocktails at the bar. Come in. Your table is ready.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
44 & X reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (139)fit for foodies (124)great for brunch (87)great for outdoor dining (84)good for groups (52)great for lunch (51)special occasion (50)hot spot (46)romantic (36)notable wine list (24)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014I think I could have eaten everything on this menu. There are great choices for everyone. We got the Ravioli appetizer that had spinach, mushroom and crab meat and it was so delicious I might have it as an entree the next time. It is not what you would expect, it's more of a deconstructed ravioli as was the beat salad. But still delicous. We had the special chilean seabass and that was also amazing. They do kind of pack you in there and it's kind of loud, so might not be the spot if you're looking for a quite evening.Special Features:
- Great brunch and better service!AlbertHVIPDined on 10/18/2014Went to brunch on Saturday with 4 adults and 1 sleeping baby and had a great time. We were seated outside on a nice morning and able to get the energetic vibe of the city on a Saturday morning as well as eat some great food. I was actually most impressed with the incredibly attentive service from our waiter and busboys. Even though we were in the far corner of the outdoor area and they had to actually walk out and around the barrier to get us water and such they did so with speed, frequency, and pleasure.Special Features:
- NYC TreasuretheophanyDined on 10/17/2014the food was AMAZING, the service was perfect - every waiter was fabulous, friendly, attentive - best service we had in NYC! Do NOT miss going to this restaurant if you are in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantMarshaVIPDined on 10/15/2014We like to start off with one of cocktails from the cute Broadway themed menu. Then I love the Mediterranean chopped salad because it is light and very tasty. My husband loves the short ribs while I opt for the most delicious salmon dish. It NEVER disappoints and the vegetables with it are fabulous !!l We had pumpkin crem brulee and coffee and really enjoyed the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014very nice meal and a cut above most in the theater district. tasty and creative menu with very nice service. we enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre or post theatrejfoodhVIPDined on 10/7/2014The best choice for pre or post theatre. Excellent food and service - work very hard to accommodate your theatre plans Great location - just a few blocks from the theatresSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always incredible.....CampbellVIPDined on 10/4/2014....How could it ever be bad having Mac n Cheese and Meatloaf.Special Features:
- Don't Tell Mama...edspencerDined on 10/2/2014While our appetizers were very tasty (crab fritter/goat cheese soufflé), they were a prelude to lackluster entrees. The establishment is nicely appointed and the staff friendly, but the raviolo and steak entrees were extremely disappointing and bland. The fillet was technically well executed while the raviolo was cumbersome to eat. I got tired of it by the time I reach to the middle of the dish, a mass of dry/unseasoned spinach and mushrooms on a sheet of pasta which clung unappetizingly to the dish. The BROADWAY themed cocktails seemed incongruous with the stylish setting. We get it- it's Midtown. Nevertheless, I might return one day for another pistachio-goat-cheese soufflé.Special Features:
- Perfectceh4013Dined on 10/1/2014Went here for a quick dinner before a show. The waiter asked if we had any plans for a show that night so he could make sure to get us out on time. Food was delicious, staff was great!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014The menu was innovative with seasonal items that were fantastic! Would recommend. A little off the beaten path---which was great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little jewel restaurantDrmissannVIPDined on 9/30/2014This is my third time at 44&X. It's always a pleasure. Food is delicious, service is excellent, and it's close enough to theatre without being mobbed.Special Features:
- Worth a visit if going to theaterRobAndJeanneVIPDined on 9/30/2014It's often hard to find a good pre-theater restaurant -- too many tacky, touristy places. This isn't one of those. The service is excellent, the food inventive and tasty and the location.. um, sit inside. Unfortunately, the restaurant faces (across the street) a large gas station with lots of taxis. Indoors is an oasis. - Rob & JeanneSpecial Features:
- Good Food, Slow Servicesjrp14Dined on 9/30/2014Brought a few clients here last week for lunch and although the food was delicious, it took quite awhile for us to get our food. Overall the service was slow and waiters were not as attentive as I would've hoped. I may come back here as I enjoyed the food, but I'd be hesitant to bring a client.Special Features:
- Hot food in Hells KitchenJalanTexasDined on 9/29/2014It won't matter what you order, it doesn't matter if you like fish or beef or pork, it really doesn't matter. Because what ever you order will be terrific. On my first visit to NYC at in June '14 I ventured to 44&X on advice from a friend back in Texas. I had high expectations but didn't expect what I got...extremely great food! I went with a party of 3 and we each ordered a different fish entre, all three were exquisite and cook perfect. I went back to NY with some lawyers who are food snobs, I wanted to see if it was a one time experience, but no, it was just as good the second time and I can't wait to someday go back. The atmosphere is not extraordinary, yet nice, but the food is what's hot in Hell's Kitchen!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hottest servers/Best Sidewalk CafeGrndrBoyVIPDined on 9/29/2014After 3 trips to the City this year, 44&X has become my "go to" place to an awesome meal, great service, and best food & ambiance. Fun & romantic. Great cosmopolitan menu with incredible specials - chef out does himself every day. Waiters are hot, cute, wear tightest pants, and are super friendly! I have never had a bad meal here - came this time to celebrate my birthday with my husband! Sean (aka "Clark Kent") was awesome! In June server Allen was just as great, and all servers are lots of fun! This is still an undiscovered gem and we will keep coming back. Much better food and hotter servers than elmo in Chelsea, which always gets rated as the "best". I recommend skipping elmo and going to 44 & X - you will NOT be disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend it!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Good food and ambiance!!! Go there often!!! Never disappointed. Great for Brunch and dinner!!! Will always recommend it to friends!!!Special Features:
- Nothing special for brunchbubbepeggyDined on 9/28/2014We ate brunch. Staff friendly. Nothing Gluten free on menu. My husband ordered huevos rancheros and he was given scrambled eggs with black been from a can and salsa next to the eggs on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch no - Dinner yesfoodieyumDined on 9/27/2014I went here for dinner and loved it - the food was great and the ambiance is very cool & relaxed. Made another reservation for brunch and wasn't as impressed with the food but they did have a large menu -- maybe I just picked a bad dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemCaratsDined on 9/25/2014Fantastic small and bright restaurant that offers a terrific selection of delicious food. Fun cocktail menu as well. Attentive service. You can't go wrong making this your dining stop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencebdaydinnerDined on 9/24/2014If you are looking for great food at a reasonable price (for NYC) before a play, this is it! Worth the few block walk fro the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOISYOldtimenewyorkerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great food and service, but I had to scream to my companion. Not good for conversation.Special Features:
- Amazing but PriceyhellskitchenfoodieDined on 9/16/2014Love this place, great atmosphere, delicious food, and friendly service. It's just a bit pricier than it should be. All entrees are 30+ .... but they are so yummy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchBianca525Dined on 9/14/2014We came here on a Sunday for brunch and the food was really delicious. We ordered a few different things and they were all great. The place is really busy so make a reservation otherwise be prepared to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014too noisy, had to shout to be heard. tables were to close together. youwere in other peoples conversationand food.Special Features:
- happy surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014Lovely ambiance and great meal and value. Had a wonderful steak frites that was so big I could have shared.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchAmyStDined on 9/13/2014Pancakes, omelets, French toast, everything was good. Beautiful presentation and attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnitterVIPDined on 9/9/2014Good for for far west theater. Some dishes worked better than others. We usually eat at 44 1/2, but decided to try 44&Xbecause they have a more extensive menu. Tuna sashimi was boring, not flavorful, a very small portion, and not half as interesting as the tuna tartare at their sister restaurant. The tilapia was very good. Great crust and delicious polenta, how ever the sole was a major disappointment... It was overly seasoned with pepper. And the vegetables were swimming in a butter sauce, which was not clearly stated on the menu. I think we will return to 44&X next time we are in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Keep coming backScottyGDined on 9/6/2014Found this restuarant last year while seeing a show on Broadway. The walk a few blocks in to Hell's Kitchen is so worth it! The menu is inventive and delicious. The staff is great and the place is always hopping with a sleek, fun vibe. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delcious pre-theater mealFrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014good food, good location, good service. Go early to avoid crowdsSpecial Features:
- SOLID FOOD AND NICE DECOR1KTravelerVIPDined on 9/1/201444 & X is what I like to describe as a "scene" room, complete with hot servers in tight t-shirts working in a very well decorated space. The food is good, but not particularly memorable. My friend had the short ribs, and reported they were delicious. I had the special Cod over haricot verts, which was just ok. The staff were not particularly knowledgeable about food and wine, but were friendly and attentive.
- Great food, erratic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2014While the menu is great, for both brunch and dinner, the service is at best erratic. You can get attentive waiter or you can get 15 minutes of no one paying attention to you while you're trying to order.Special Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014I have been there a few times and never had a problem, however my last experience was very disappointing. We arrived at 11:30 for brunch and waited until 12:30 to be able to order coffee. We waited an hour more just to order. The restaurant seemed pretty busy for Labor Day brunch, however they should have been prepared for it. When the food finally arrived, I was even more disappointed. My bacon was cold and the dry, my brioche was drenched in maple syrup, and I had a half raspberry on top (instead of a raspberry coulis). The only good part of it was their mini muffins they serve at the beginning.
- ExcellentJnolaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food is just total 5 star! Our waiter was perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love It!ChonafreeDined on 8/31/2014Good food, great service, I couldn't ask for anything more!Special Features:
- a great brunch with great serviceadamVIPDined on 8/31/2014We were staying in the neighborhood and opted to try this place for brunch on a Sunday. We were pleasantly surprised with both the food and the service. We were seated outside, but the service was excellent (water and coffee glasses refilled frequently). We got the Mediterranean salad which was delicious, the french toast, which was dense and rich, but delicious, and the eggs with mushrooms. The eggs were cooked very well, but the toast was cold and the mushrooms could have been more varied in the dish. We left very satisfied. The inside is also a lovely open airy space!Special Features:
- EigermanVIPDined on 8/28/2014Sitting outside - next to 10th Ave and a Mobile gas station - has the ambiance of dining on interstate 95.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Hells KitchenJalanTexasDined on 8/27/2014If you are looking for great food for a business dinner or a romantic spot then 44 & X is the place for you. My business group ordered three different fish entrees and each one was prepared to die for. Great flavor cooked perfectly. Wine and desserts were outstaning.Special Features:
- Best choice theater districtfoodmattersVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is a really solid dining experience, the food is fresh and well prepared, the menu interesting, service is quite attentive, the ambience charming and light, and the price point excellent for all of the afformentioned. There are so few really decent places to dine in the theater district this is the one we keep coming back to over and over.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerStyveDined on 8/26/2014Our first restaurant in New York, and it was absolutely perfect. The waiters are really nice. They always brought us some hot bread and cold water. The food is absolutely amazing, I tried the salmon first, it was really really spicy, but so good. The hamburger proposed is really not expensive, but believe me, it's so great. The steak was really well cooked, all the sides were perfect. In brief, a really good restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 44 & XXXxclaxmomVIPDined on 8/26/2014Made a rez for my sons birthday based solely on on-line reviews and we had a really fun and delicious evening. I was surprised by how casual the dining room was, but it was still nice. First the service: really professional, attentive but totally not overbearing. The hostess was non-threatening, very flexible (let us finish our drinks at the bar without rushing us) Very subtle things that made the service so good? I realized after dinner that I never touched the wine bottle once. The waiter was NOT hovering, but very aware of our needs. The food was really good. We all ordered different things and we left nothing on our plates. The only downside was the music soundtrack: if you didn't like Ke$ha, you were in for a rough night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.